New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Zman's Heros for Hire IC I

Phynn offers the found gems to Myrl. Feeling guilty about that, Phynn pulls a couple of his own gold pieces of equivalent value from his belt pouch and offers them to his friends.

Luna found a little bit up by the ogres. A few gold worth for each of us.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Once the female orc fell, Pau'la rested for a few moments in silence. You're going to have to do better than that next time She chided herself.

When the topic of a funeral came around, Pau'la looked up. "I am so sorry for your loss, sir. Would you like me to say a few words on her behalf? Lathander cares deeply about those who pass on, and those who are left behind." Pau'la's eyes darken briefly as her thoughts turn to her father. "I know not everybody worships Lathander, and I understand if the answer is no, but..."
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Myrl

Myrl turns to Pau'la and kindly accepts her request with a nod.

Spoiler
    Show

People usually have a preferred God, and Paladins and clerics heavily devote themselves to one, but often in the Forgotten Realms people will pray to odfferent drones when the need arises. Most people aren't devoted exclusively to a single God.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna nods and moves over to Myrl, "Thank you, I'll leave you to remember Bessy" She would tap Phynn and gesture towards the wagon as the burial finished. [Sylvan]"If he pets me..." Luna said softly as she looked over the colt. She smiles and pets the brave horse, "Phynn help me get set in." Luna would cast a glance at the procession and then she shifts into a Warhorse and steps around to be put into the carriage's harness.
    Spoiler: Wild Shape
    Show

I'll change into a Warhorse. Like the one pulling the carriage of the nobles.

Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-16 at 09:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Following the ceremony and brief rest, Phynn helps get the cart hooked up to Luna and gets things re packed into the cart. He then assists Myrl up into the care and takes the seat next to him, his bow readily within reach.

6. - Top - End - #96

Myrl

Seeing Luna change into a majestic and fierce looking horse in the blink of an eye, "Well I'll be damned!". He spends a few long moments just staring and blinking, not quite believing what he just saw. Sure, magic exists, but it's awfully rare for someone like Myrl to see something like that.

Zaar

Seeing Luna change,m"Can't say I'd of expected that.". As Phynn is helping hook Luna up to the cart, a concept that was still odd, Zaar gives her a massive slap on the rump. He lets out a hearty bellow, a gravely grating laugh, "She isn't going to be happy abou that when she can speak!"

7. - Top - End - #97

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna was not thrilled and if she weren't in a harness she would have made it known more clearly. Her head shot to Phynn, Kill him! She eventually settles her anger and glares at the Half-Orc. Zaar was going to get an ear full about 'personal' boundaries after this.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-16 at 01:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

Ercard helps as much as he can with the burial of Bessy. There isn't much he can do now, though, so mostly he stays out of the way.

When Luna shapeshifts into a horse, he is taken aback. He gives her a surprised look as she has Phynn help her into the harness. Then he shrugs. Then he facepalms when Zaar slaps her rump. "Zaar!" he protests, but doesn't get further than that before his face is buried in the palm of his hands. When he recovers, he says "I am so sorrry for him" to Luna.

As the party gets ready to get underway, Ercard takes up a position to one side of the wagon. He'll just stay on foot the rest of the way.

9. - Top - End - #99

10. - Top - End - #100

East of Thentia

With Luna in the harness the group gets on the road again. As they travel along the Coast Road they catch occasional glimpses of the Moonsea's cool dark waters to the SouthEast.

An hour goes by and Luna is forced to expend more of her energy maintaining the form of the Warhorse. She finds the work surprisingly hard, labor animals are trained from young to work with the Wagon, Luna having no such training finds herself often working harder than she needs to before she can find her rythem and work with her partner horse...

After a couple of hours Myrl indicates that they'd best make camp for the night, its good he does, as Luna finds it incredibly hard to continue maintaining her form...

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, chance for RP before making camp for the night.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la's words were heartfelt, but short. It was difficult sometimes to speak the words of Lathander for those grieving. It was one thing to know that time would heal, and new life sprung from old, but those who were less devoted tended not to understand.

12. - Top - End - #102

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna felt at first annoyed with her partner horse, he paced so slowly. She felt the urge to at least trot the wagon along. The time spent in the harness was degrading at best, but she knew her hardship would come at great benefit to time. By the second hour she was utterly tired, irritated and began to understand the burden put on the service animals, This is grueling. Bessy did this for twenty five years?!

Luna shifts out of the harness when Myrl indicates they should stop. She marches straight to Zaar, "Listen here, you savage. You'll not live to regret the next time you slap my ass!" Luna huffs and turns to Phynn as if to ask, Did we really just pick them as traveling partners? Luna would be cold to Zaar as they made camp.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-16 at 04:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la glared at Zaar."You know better." she said warningly.

14. - Top - End - #104

Zaar

Luna is furious, Zaar smiles. When she calls him a savage he merely nods his head in agreement... when she says he won't live to regret the next time he tilts his head with a doubting smirk. He contemplates a joke involving a ride but thinks better of it...

When Pau'la scolds him Zaar responds with a wink, "Of course I did milady." followed by his best and most innocent face... which to be truthful isn't much different than his normal scowl or smirk.

With a hearty deep gravely laugh, "You were furious! I bet we made a good half mile an hour better with all that anger."

Spoiler
    Show

Apparently you can't say co cks his head as it gets blocked as expletive.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-16 at 05:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

When the group makes camp, the bard's first actions are to set up his own bedroll and help get the fire going, which gives the rest of the group time to chit-chat and get their own preparations out of the way. It also affords him the opportunity to listen in on said chit-chat and get a feel for how the evening is going to go. It looks about as he expected.

So his first stop is to find a spot near Luna and offer his apologies "I would like to apologize for Zaar, since he won't. And... I don't expect this to help, but it's because you're till strangers to him. Once we've been on the road together a few days, he'll stop testing your limits and respect you more." He shoots a look toward Zaar as if to assert that what he just said is true.

Then he sits by the half-orc in question. He keeps silent for a while and checks the condition of his weapons. When he does speak, he asks "Really? Was that wise? Or important in some way?"

16. - Top - End - #106

Zaar

Giving his old friend a wry smile and a nod, "I think I'm growing on them."

When Ercard gives him a disapproving glare the Half Orc pats him on the back, strictly speaking harder than necessary, but still a sign of friendship, "Oh come now, when we first met I did worse to you." With a pause, "Remember that tavern... that wench..." Zaar's laughing cuts him short, "in that storeroom..." another pause, "and I stole your clothes..." a longer and louder interruption of laughter, "and you can run across the commonroom with naught but a flower sack for decency!" and Zaar laughs till he can speak no more. When done his look momentarily softens and he gives Ercard a sign he understands.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-16 at 06:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna glares coldly at Zaar as she pulls her gear out. SHe takes a spot opposite of him the fire. She smiles to Ercard, [E]"No need to apologize on his behalf."She would glance over to Zaar, "His attempts to impress me fall flat, but they are cute." Luna shifts backwards and onto her bedroll, "I am tired, Goodnight." Her eyes close and she starts to trance.

18. - Top - End - #108

Making Camp

After a quick supper and a small fire the group settles in for the night. Both Luna and Phynn settle into trances readily while Ercard and Zaar snag a couple hours before having to wake for watch. Pau'la and Myrl get first watch...

It is still early in the year and darkness fell fast, the temperature dropped faster. Looking up you can see the clouds rolling in and blotting out the stars, there is a chance for rains...

As Pau'la and Myrl finish their watch rain drops can be felt... Be the time Zaar and Ercard are finishing their watch the heavens opened and doused the countryside in sheets of water. Everyone that can takes cover in the wagon to stay dry as the fire is doused.

Hours later the sun begins cresting the horizon barely noticeable through the clouds and hazy light rain, more like just a general condition of less dark.

Spoiler
    Show

(d100)[25]
    (2d100)[23][93](116)
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-16 at 09:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Breaking Down Camp

The group packs up their camp and makes themselves ready to hit the road again. The rain has lightened but it looks like it'll me a wet, cool, and hazy day. Myrl mentions he hopes the roads don't soften too much...

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, off for another day on the road. Let me know how you are proceeding, is Luna wildshaping into a horse again? Travel 2 hours then rest? It will make better time than one horse, and without a second horse there may be a bit of pushing involved to keep a decent pace.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-17 at 01:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

Once camp is broken, Ercard double-checks that everyone has everything, then moves to a marching position to the right of the wagon, roughly abreast of the driver's seat. He has his crossbow loaded and ready when the party sets out.

21. - Top - End - #111

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna walks over to the front of the horse and pets his mane, [E]"You'll have enough strength to carry us today." She pets along his cheek and holds his head still. Their bodies would glow green for a few moments, before Luna rubs the chestnut's ear, "That should give you the power to pull us." She continues to focus on the chestnut and moves up to sit beside Myrl. Offering him a hand up to the carriage.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Enhance Ability, I'd rather not get muddy.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn helps to break camp and settle the chestnut into the wagon for the morning, helping to adjust the tongue of the wagon to maximize efficiency of being pulled by just one horse. When ready to move out, he takes up a point position opposite Ercard, shortbow at the ready.

23. - Top - End - #113

Zaar

Once camp is broken and they begin to get under way, Zar gets near the rear of the Wagon, occasionally helping to push...

Coast Road-East of Thentia

The road is wet but not overly soft, the hard pack withstanding the rain so far. Occasionally the wagon has to be guided around some softer puddles and soft spots. With his new spell enhanced strength the Chestnut was able to make up for the loss of a second draft horse at least for a while...After an hour the spell's energy wanes and the pace of the wagon slows...

Spoiler
    Show

Maintained Normal pace for an hour, now back to slow. Is Luna Wildshaping, or are you guys moving along at a slow pace?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

When the spell wears off, and the Chestnut slows to a trudge, Ercard gives the horse and cart a long look. Briefly, he turns his gaze to Zaar and seems to consider the half-orc carefully, but then he changes his focus to Phynn.

Slow as the cart is moving, it is easy for Ercard to jog around the back and meet up with Phynn. "We could pick up the pace, but it occurs to me that we might also seize advantage of this leisurely rate. As slow as the cart is moving now, you would have ample time to scout ahead and to the sides of our path. Perhaps you and Luna could take a side each and stay within earshot but flush the hills for more ambushes or opportunities."

He turns his head up to the sky, where the morning sun still tries to shine.

"And, as the day goes by, we could start keeping an eye out for the most defensible camping spot we can find. I don't think, even with Luna's magic giving all she's got, we'll make it to this abbey by nightfall. It'd be nice, but the way Myrl described the speed we'd need to make, I don't want to be overly hopeful."

25. - Top - End - #115

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna walks alongside the cart as the young chestnut struggles to drag the it a long. She could've helped with pulling or lending him even more strength, but it would have taxed her.

Ercard broke her out of her day dream, but when Zaar chose to take the lead instead she nods and just keeps on beside the cart. Luna looks around as they walk along the soft packed ground. She looks up at the sky, wishing for a sun break to lighten their spirits.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-18 at 11:48 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Zaar

Zaar seems to nod in approval of the plan, havin two of them scout ahead is definitely beneficial, "I'm quieter than I look.". As Zaar prepares to scout ahead he drops off his pack off on the back of the wagon and draws two of his daggers. "You'll know if I found something by its screams." Zaar's demeanor changes as he separates from the group, almost wilder, more predatory.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-18 at 09:24 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Coast Road

As the day gets moving, the going was slow with just he Chestnut pulling the Wagon. The rain started letting up around noon, but the sun stubbornly refused to poke out.

Spoiler
    Show

(2d100)[12][14](26)

28. - Top - End - #118

DruidGirl

Luna

The weather is so dreary in the North. Luna walks around the hundredth puddle. [E]"Can we chose a location shielded by trees?" The clouds above seem to choke out any hope for sun.

Luna starts to notice the chestnut tiring, but she had a stigma about putting the harness back on.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-18 at 03:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Coast Road

As the group is moving along everyone except Zar notices some shadows far up above in the sky, four large birds, nearly the size of horses are circling above...

Spoiler
    Show

Perception Block
    Ercard (d20+1)[13] If Advantage/Disadvantage(d20+1)[10]
    Luna (d20+5)[19] If Advantage/Disadvantage(d20+5)[14]
    Phynn (d20+3)[16] If Advantage/Disadvantage(d20+3)[15]
    Pau'la (d20+2)[14] If Advantage/Disadvantage(d20+2)[17]
    Zaar (d20+2)[6] If Advantage/Disadvantage(d20+2)[3]

Only Zar does not see them.

Nature
    DC5 Know they are predatory birds
    DC10 Know they are Giant Vultures, large predators and pick off weakened prey, sometimes known to track wounded animals for days before attacking.
    DC15+ Basically know their statblock
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-18 at 03:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Spoiler
    Show

Zar and Ercard sneaking ahead and scouting

Stealth Block
    Ercard (d20+4)[12] If Advantage/Disadvantage(d20+4)[13]
    Zaar (d20+4)[20] If Advantage/Disadvantage(d20+4)[15]