New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Mines IC

"It ain't about us meddling in wizard business. It's about the gobbos messing about with it. If some Dwarf or Daleling gets hurt as a result of us not doing some housekeeping, Thorin himself would never let me hear the end of it in Durin's Halls!"

We're decided, then. Find which way the vermin went running and we'll stick our blades right up their arses."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Dwylin turns away from his companion with a snicker. He tilts his head to the side as he notices Thrar investigating the die. "Oy, what's 'at, Thrar? Ya think it's magic, somehow?"

Without waiting for an answer, he casts a quick cantrip to be able to see magical auras (detect magic).

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Somewhat sulking while he does so, Khazram begins to follow the tracks of the goblins.

Spoiler: Survival
    Show

(1d20+16)[34] To follow the goblin tracks
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Let's see that here-" Harsk moves to examine the dice with his brother, who points out the faint transmutation aura while Harsk searches his memory for anything that might be connected...
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+9)[14] to identify
    Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+9)[25] if relevant

"Wait for me!" he calls as he hurries to catch up with Khazram. "Next time we find those buggers, I'll just let our blades do the translating!"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

The group sets off after the goblins, with the elves hesitantly falling in line. After a few minutes and bypassing some locked doors, the group comes to a wide open area. The inside appears to be 60' x 60' in a large circle, like some kind of arena. Standing in the center of the room is an enormous, human-sized goblin with a weapon that looks more like a tree branch than a club. "(Dwarven) Well now. Look what we have here. Guests. And me, without so much as a kettle of tea to offer. Such ungracious hospitality is hardly appropriate in the presence of Dwylin Stonesoul."

With a loud mechanical whir, a large metal plate slides down from the ceiling and slams into the ground behind the group, cutting off the path they came from.

A few goblins emerge from the shadows, grinning hungrily. With their boss, there are six in total.

"Ah, and how rude of me to not introduce myself! My name is Kitchley, son of Kistal," the goblin says, bowing politely. "First of the Dwarven Goblins, and King under the Ered Mithrin."
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2016-01-29 at 11:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Trembling with outrage, Thrar growls, "Dwylin, who is this filth that not only knows you, but the Tongue of our ancestors as well?"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Harsk's eyes nearly pop out of his head at the sight of the massive goblin. Shuffling a bit behind Khazram, he tries to discreetly turn his body to conceal the potion he withdraws from his bandolier, and uncorks...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Hoping Harsk is able to discreetly drink his mutagen (+4 Str) before it all goes down.

If either roll is relevant, Stealth (1d20+2)[7], Bluff (1d20-1)[18]
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Dwylin starts, unable for a moment to believe his eyes. His mouth works slowly, as he peers inquisitively at the figure. "He.. I- that is... I don' know. 'E obviously knows me, but I'm blind as a bat, as ta how.

...Dwarven Goblins? Yer some kinda half-breed mongrel!?
    " Enraged by what he hears, Dwylin calls upon his ancestors for guidance. "Forfeğur, leiğa hendur mínar!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    (1d20+10)[19] perception, to figure anything out about the thing.
    (1d20+4)[8] know history
    (1d20+6)[17] dungeoneering
    (1d20+5)[23] nature
    (1d20+4)[18] nobility

(1d20+7)[11] initiative
    cast divine favor, in preparation for next round.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

A guttural growl starts in his chest and slowly crescendos into a roar that leaps from his throat.

"ENOUGH TALK. WE CAN QUESTION THE SURVIVORS!"

Khazram raises his bow before anyone can object and fires an arrow at the "goblin king"

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

(1d20+7)[27]
    (1d8+6)[9]

Copied from OOC for convenience
    (1d20+7)[22] CC

Crit Damage
    (1d8+6)[14]
    (1d8+6)[14]
    Last edited by Untarr; 2016-01-31 at 10:16 AM.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160

Khazram fires an arrow aimed directly at the goblin's heart. Thrar knows a killing blow when he sees one and prepares to charge at the lower goblins to clean them up.

However, the larger goblin simply snatches the arrow out of the air, crushing it in his hands. "You have heard tell of the 'Uruk-hai', yes?" he asks nonchalantly, neither he nor his men even raising their weapons. "They are enormous orcs with the cunning and precision of elves. Well, the White Wizard's experiments did not stop there. I am a hobgoblin. I bear all the ferocity of my kin, but the strict military discipline of a dwarf. I do not fight for hunger, or fear, or survival. I fight for honor. For glory. For the love of battle. Just like all of you."

11. - Top - End - #161

Saruman has been experimenting on Dwarves?! Bury an axe in the bastard's neck! Strangely enough, what the Goblin says calms Thrar enough to say,

"Saruman has twisted you in the mind. Dwarves don't fight just to fight. We fight for family, for our kin. If you have a shred of Durin in you, you'll let us pass."
    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Don't seriously expect this to work, but roleplaying.
    (1d20-1)[12]

12. - Top - End - #162

Kitchley chuckles. "But of course, brother." He smiles wide with a mouthful of yellow teeth. Their sharp ends denote them all as canines, and it is clear to everyone that he, just like his kin, is a pure carnivore.

The goblin turns to his smaller warriors. "(Goblin) Stand down. They are not for eating."

The goblins look sullen, but they obediently slink away.

Kitchley turns his attention back to the group. "I wonder though, if you might indulge your host a simple question before you leave. If you have not come down here for The Staff of Grey, then what brings you to these tunnels in the first place?"

His words seem polite enough, but the territorial tone of his voice makes it clear: his hospitality will immediately end if he has any reason to think they've come for the staff.

13. - Top - End - #163

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+1)[4]

Thrar decides to answer with the truth... at least part of it. "We were trapped in a spider tunnel and came upon this place. We felt it our duty to drive out any Goblins that dwell so close to the Lonely Mountain and our allies in Dale. Surely, you see no problem in that, 'brother'."

14. - Top - End - #164

The hobgoblin nods. "Indeed, I do not. I will forgive the senseless slaughter and hunting of my kin, if only because it allowed me to meet...you."

His eyes shift to Dwylin and he grins unsettlingly.