New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: On being judged for your hobbies....

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    And I wasn't horrified by where my mind went. Then again I've read enough Red Fel posts on alignment and whatnot that it seemed like the natural thing. Then also again, if revenge can be sweet, defeat can be bitter, why can't murder be delicious?
    It can and it is, Little Sally, it can and it is.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post

But yeah. When someone has already made up his or her mind, trying to change it isn't just futile, it's making matters worse. Think of everyone who has tried to force an opinion on you, like telling you that Twilight is the best literary franchise in history, or Andrew Lloyd Webber the best playwright of our generation. The more they push it, the more you want to push them. Down a flight of stairs, if available. It's not worth the effort.
    But it's not that much effort, I mean it's just a shove, then gravity does most of the work...

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    I work near MIT. I can mention D&D casually to just about anyone and they'll talk to me about it. Having to ask what D&D is makes you the awkward weird one around here.

But nerds can be judgy too. I love pro wrestling. I've watched it since I was in diapers. I'm watching it right now. And I can't talk about it with my geeky friends. To them, it's the least intellectual thing out there and even watching it for a second while channel surfing is regarded as some kind of moral failure. Any time wrestling comes up, it's open season on poor old valadil. You'd think I admitted to watching Nascar or something ;-)
    I think that I've found this to be more true than the reverse, my career aspirations are often judged pretty harshly by geeks or nerdy types. I've also seen a lot of geeky people act fairly judgemental about other people's hobbies, particularly if those hobbies fit into the kind of hobbies that preppy popular kids were into. For example during football or baseball season, most of my geeky friends on Facebook go out of their way to point out that they don't actually have any interest in those sorts of things, which always seemed odd to me.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

My boss used to play AD&D so I got off lucky there.

Nobody I work with has ever heard of mideval combat groups, I was a boffer a while back and still have my stuff. I can dumb it down as much as you want, I've described it like someone who spars in martial arts for exercise, and in armor it is a workout, but I always get that look. That dreaded "You're a weirdo" look. Once I get that look it either takes months of acting normal to get someone to treat me human, or I immediately throw my old buddies to the wolves and call them crazy to level out my current situation. (I've never tossed my old friends out like that)
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.