New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default House of Maximoff: A Reassembly One-Shot

You’re sitting in the Blackbird, strapped in with Nightcrawler to your left and Wolverine to your right. Rachel sits further towards the back, in intense conference with Psylocke. Occasionally, she shoots you a little smile. Kitty and Colossus are nearer to the front, holding hands silently. Emma, Gambit, and Rogue are arguing half-silently, half-aloud. Starfire is sitting nearby, keeping silent and looking uncharacteristically lost. Beast is listening, but not reacting.

It's as Art Alexis once said so wisely: so much for the afterglow.

You'd been afterglowing pretty hard in the medbay after . . . well, you know. Rachel had slipped back out into the rest of the mansion, leaving you with a quick smooch and a promise to talk about this (whatever "this" is) once you'd rested up. A little bit after, Psylocke had shown up to check on you and to give you back the Bleach DVDs you'd lent her (her look of ineffable knowing may have been a sign that she knew exactly what you and Rachel had been up to, or it could have just been just Psylocke being Psylocke). It had been shaping up to be a remarkably quiet evening . . .

. . . and then the main team had returned, and you'd gotten a telepathic briefing from Emma that had sent nearly every member of the team onto the Blackbird to Genosha.

Emma had given you the raw information:

~There's no pleasant way to say this: We've found Wanda Maximoff. Magneto has her in Genosha. Charles and Doctor Fate have been working since the Disassembly to try and fix her. I could give you platitudes about how much effort they've expended and how they've left no stone unturned, but I'll be blunt: She is powerful enough to destroy reality in a moment of madness, and they cannot fix her. We cannot fix her. We are being called in to help decide whether she lives or dies. Please check any delusions of clean hands or conscience at the door.~

Scott had given you the context:

"I know this is an emotional issue for all of us. Some of you know Wanda. Some of you have lost friends because of her. I'm not saying anyone here should forget any of those feelings, but I'm asking all of you to weigh them against the broader picture. Consider what might happen if she continues as she is, but balance that with what we do here at Xavier's: we help mutants that need help.

"I'm not here to tell you what to think, and I know you'll all decide according to your own conscience. And that's all I can ask of you. You're all my teammates, and I trust each and every one of you. Extend the same courtesy to each other. This is an ugly issue, and people will disagree. That's okay. Don't let this become about grudges, or about the argument for argument's sake. This is about Wanda Maximoff and the fate of the world. Anything else is secondary."

And now, flying towards Genosha with the rest of your family, you think. Unlike most of the others, you don't know Wanda all that well. You never fought her during her Brotherhood days, and you'd mostly steered clear of her by chance during the few times that the X-Men had crossed paths with the Avengers. A part of you wonders if that makes this easier or harder.

"So . . ." Wolverine growls, breaking the silence between you three, "Am I gonna be arguing with or against you guys?"

"I suppose that depends, Logan," Nightcrawler rejoins mildly, "Do you believe that it is for us to decide that anyone is beyond saving?"

"Fred?" Logan shoots at you, not responding to Kurt.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: House of Maximoff: A Reassembly One-Shot

Ronin

His time spent in the infirmary had been great, despite nearly ripping his newly stitched stitches. Before Rachel had left him completely, he repeated his earlier words. “All in.” He made it clear what he wanted “this” to be. He wanted to give it a real shot. Remember, his emotions are powerful even though he doesn’t always express them. He just had to work on expressing them – at least to Rachel. That same kind of openness was not extended to Betsy, who was giving him the stare of someone who just knew. That look was met with a small clearing of his throat and a rushed thank you for the DVDs.

He’d barely showered up when the telepathic message came through.

Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch. Daughter of Magneto and sister of Quicksilver. She was a powerful, powerful mutant. Her madness had caused the implosion of the Avengers… and she was in Genosha being treated by some of the best and brightest. Emma’s stance on her was clear. The former White Queen was in favor of killing the Scarlet Witch. Fred didn’t know the woman, but that didn’t enter into his calculus. What he knew was how she came to be in this state. As he recalled, this mental state was done to her. She was a victim… a victim who could destroy the world.

It made the decision a tough one to make. Fred could already guess where certain people would fall on the issue. Fred himself was flanked by the proverbial angel and devil on his shoulder. Kurt would lean towards helping her. Logan… death. It was certainly the more pragmatic choice given the circumstances.

He glanced up and back, catching Rachel’s smile towards him. He gave her a small smile in return. Yes, he’d noticed Kitty and Rasputin holding hands. On any other day he would have felt his heart cracking a bit more, but tonight was different. He was different. For what it was worth, he was happy. All in, he’d said. All in she would get.

Wolverine broke the silence. Logan knew he wouldn’t sway Kurt… this was for Fred’s benefit. The samurai’s face maintained a solemn expression. His emotions were once again well hidden by his mirror shades. “I don’t know,” he answered honestly. There were no quotes from the Hagakure about world-ending innocents. But what it does say… The monk pursues courage with the warrior as his model, and the warrior pursues the compassion of the monk. “We don’t know everything. We shouldn’t rush to judgment.”
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2015-12-13 at 02:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Th' **** more is there to know?" Logan snarls, claws coming out slightly, "Think Frost was pretty ****ing clear. If Chuck can't do it, an' Fate can't do it . . . who the **** else is gonna fix her?"

"Mein freund, with all the wonders and marvels within our universe, do you truly believe that there are no other possibilities? Do we-"

"Elf, we're talkin' somethin' like the Disassembly but all over. How long do we give her before-"

And, wonderful! Now Kurt and Logan have joined the choir of discordant voices. Boy, this is sure how you'd wanted to end the day!

After what feels like an unending single disagreement in multiple parts, the Blackbird sets down. You step out into the sunlight with everyone else, blinking away an involuntary scowl that returns almost immediately as soon as the brightness subsides and reveals Genosha.

Genosha . . . Hell.

You remember when you'd first visited Genosha, back after Magneto had initially claimed it. There had been an energy to the place, an undeniable sense of purpose. Buildings had gone up overnight. The streets had bustled and the skies had swarmed with mutants putting together new lives for themselves. You'd visited as part of an Excalibur fact-finding mission, and you'd above all been struck by the sheer spirit on display. Genosha hadn't just been bustling; there were murals, sculptures, spontaneous acts of creativity and flair brought into being by will and artistry that were only possible when mutant artists were given the chance to really cut loose. Heck, back then? People were predicting that Genosha would soon become the Paris of the Southern Hemisphere.

No single invasion had taken down Magneto's mutant capital. Oh, there had been attempts, sure. There had been the standoff in the wake of the Legacy Virus' cure, which had thankfully been ended by the X-Men. Cassandra Nova had attempted a massive Sentinel attack on the island as her introduction to the world (foiled by Captain Marvel and the Martian Manhunter of the JLA, thankfully). Luthor had tried to tie Magneto's regime to Al Qaeda a couple years later, but had only succeeded in getting himself impeached. The Master Mold Crusade, Sinestro . . . attack after attack, Genosha still stood when the dust had settled.

But it hadn't stood well.

Now, you can see that Black Adam's attack from a couple months ago had clearly taken its toll. As you emerge in the landing pad near the Royal Gardens, you can see out into the main market square. People are shuffling around, going about their daily lives. The scars upon the cityscape, remnants of horrible lightning blasts or superstrong blows, are desultorily being pieced together by mutant builders. There is a general sense of war-weariness, as though the population has come to accept that these attacks are just things that will inevitably happen. "The Paris of the Southern Hemisphere"? No. Just another budding Fallujah.

You immediately notice an Avengers Quinjet parked in the gardens as well. Entering the main hall, you find that there's another contingent to this little supers party.

Iron Man and Batman are off in a corner, talking in hushed tones. Captain America, the Wasp, Ms. Marvel, and Wonder Woman are huddled around Xavier and Doctor Fate. Magneto is nearer to the center of the room, gesturing pleadingly at Specter, who looks on impassively. Captain Marvel, the Flash, Falcon, Zatanna, Luke Cage, Cyborg, Spider Woman, TWO Green Lanterns . . . it's an Avengers/JLA reunion. And with the dour glances and funerary disposition, it bears no small resemblance to a wake.

Most of the X-Men make their way over to the professor, but not all. Emma makes a beeline over to Iron Man and Batman and insinuates herself into their conversation. Cyclops walks straight over to Magneto and Specter. Wolverine goes over to Luke Cage and Spider Woman's group . . . hadn't you heard something about them forming a new team? Starfire zips over to Cyborg and begins chattering excitedly, adorably tone-deaf as ever.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You can take this time to RP a bit with any characters that strike your fancy. Or we can skip straight to the deliberations. Post as you prefer!
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2015-12-13 at 09:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

Logan was an intimidating presence, but Frederick Allen Broll couldn’t be intimidated. He rose up against his surrogate father-figure in this instance. His voice came out strong and clear, standing out amidst the other conversations. “We give her as long as it takes. We exhaust all other options. She’s not Ogun. She’s not the Joker, or Cassandra Nova, or any of them. It isn’t her fault. It’s the Joker’s fault.”

Fred resumed his silence, looking straight forward once again. Frederick was a killer, but he endeavored to harm only those who well and truly deserved it. This was something else. This was something that was not righteous. Add to that the vision he was given by the Phoenix and Jean… two witches. One red. One… Scarlet. She’d asked him to kill her. Rachel knew, she knew from the visions she’d shared with him. She knew from his confidence.

Kill the Witch.

It was beginning to feel like a driving point. Everything in the world was pushing him towards ending Wanda’s life. And he was going to fight that pull until no option was left.

Arriving at Genosha, he walked quietly through the Gardens and surveyed the land. He had once been filled with excitement and hope for this place. For a brief moment he had wondered if he’d been better helping Magneto than playing superhero. The present was depressing. He felt a weight upon his shoulders… but this wasn’t something a single sword could ever fix. This was the realm of politics, domestic and international – no place for a ronin.

When they came into the hall and saw the myriad of supers present, Ronin watched the others scatter. He reached out and took Rachel by the arm for a moment. Without speaking (who knows who has super hearing in this room), he communicated to her. I don’t like where this is going… I may have an idea for how to solve this without killing anyone. I’m going to need you and Kurt if it’s going to happen. Trust me? He gave her arm a gentle squeeze before moving off towards Xavier, Doctor Fate, and Magneto.

He wasn’t certain how to open the discussion, so instead he stood silently and waited for a natural break in the conversation. “Professor… what can you tell me about what’s happening to Wanda?”
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Wait what? No wait Fred no don't do that. We're not doing secret plans here. You make the decision yourself without consulting everyone and you're putting a target on Wanda and on yourself . . .

You haven't seen Xavier in a while. He'd come to Genosha after Sinestro's attack on New York. The whole thing had tired him out on a fundamental level, you'd know that. Seeing your life's philosophy and work twisted by that Yellow Lantern psycho to cause the kind of damage he did? You could see the need for a break. Even coming to Genosha had seemed reasonable: even with his relationship with Magneto as complicated as it was, Charles Xavier living in the mutant capital of the world was appropriate. You hadn't exactly kept in touch, but Kitty had given you sporadic updates. Apparently her stories of the celebrated Professor X living a semi-bohemian Genoshan lifestyle had been less than accurate . . .

. . . not just the X-Men, but the Avengers and the JLA too. We're all together for a reason here. This is bigger than any of us, and going ahead unilaterally will just . . .

He looks tired. Honestly, more tired than you've ever seen him. Not despairing, not frustrated, just . . . tired. His eyes look sunken in his head, and he's paler than you'd expect for one having lived on a southern island for nearly a year.

. . . it's a Phoenix thing too, Fred. Seriously, how well do the X-Men deal with one of their own going rogue with an uncontrollable source of power? Wanda has that kind of mojo, and we do NOT want to alarm people further by making these kinds of plays . . .

"Fred," the Professor looks up, shaking your hand once Kitty is done hugging him. Everyone looks somber upon hearing your question. Cap and the Wasp both walk over towards Magneto and Cyclops, just as Specter vanishes in a puff of smoke. Ms. Marvel sighs and purses her lips. Wonder Woman's expression just hardens.

"It's not good, I'm afraid."

He looks over to Magneto, who is currently standing in the middle of the room like a man who's forgotten where he is or why he's there to begin with. With a sigh, Xavier continues, addressing the entire group:

"Wanda has had a very difficult life. I don't believe I appreciated just how difficult it was until I began truly working with her. Between the many misfortunes she has suffered and the extent of the power she wields, she is carrying an unbelievable burden. Dr. Fate and I have been trying to lessen that burden: he by diminishing her power to more manageable levels, and I by giving her the tools she needs to ease the weight of the past and move forward with her life."

. . . I know you like being a loner, and I know playing by the rules makes you feel vulnerable to those that don't, but I am asking you to please DEAL right now. Lay your plan out. Make your case. Don't go over everyone's head because NOBODY will take that well . . .

"I fear it has taken all of our strength to ensure that she has not had any relapses on the level of the Disassembly. If pressed for a solution beyond 'keep trying what we've tried and hope for the best', I fear all of our solutions are bad ones."

"What if we depower her?" Ms. Marvel cuts in. You know her a bit, through Rogue (whom you now see is nodding in agreement), "I know they've done a lot with SPIN tech lately. We could take away her powers, make it so . . ."

"She's a mutant, Carol. She's been defined by that all her life," Psylocke cuts in coldly, "We don't get to simply take that away from her . . ."

"Hold up now, Bets, y'all were sayin' we should kill her earlier-"

"CONSIDER it, yes. But I think she'd rather die as a mutant than live as someone who didn't deserve her own identity."

"That ain't the same thing! Ah ain't defined by mah abilities, and that ain't the only thing-"

"Eh, Anna? Pardonnez-moi," Gambit speaks up, with the look of a man knowing he will be sleeping on the metaphorical couch tonight, "But if we ain't mutants cuz our abilities, then what makes us mutants?"

"I am Amazonian because of of my culture and my heritage," Wonder Woman speaks up, as though daring anyone to back up any disagreement with blades at dawn, "NOT solely through my Zeus-given strength. I would hold the same is true for any mutant as well."

"C'est vrai, peut être, but how much is Amazon culture 'bout how folks're always tellin' ya what ya can 'n' can't do wit' yo' own abilities?"

"At the risk of playing Devil's advocate, wasn't it Voltaire who said 'my right to swing my fist stops at your nose'? Or some such pithy phrase, anyway. I believe we have reached the point where poor Wanda's fist has gone several inches past our collective probosci," Hank pipes in.

"Then why don't we kill everyone who harms innocents, Hank?"

"That's hardly the point . . ."

The discussion begins to heat up among you. You feel Rachel nudge you, both physically and mentally.

You have something to suggest? Now's a pretty good time, wouldn't you say?
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2016-01-18 at 09:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

It had been a while since anyone had really called Fred on his sh**. More than once in the past it’s caused him to grow prickly and defensive. This time, maybe because of who was doing it – and maybe because she 100% had his number – his hackles didn’t raise and he just listened. He shook Xavier’s hand, listened to the bad news he was giving. But mid-way through he turned his head towards Rachel and looked at her as she pointed out very acutely the flaws in going it alone this time…

If I don’t save her… I kill her, he sent back to Rachel. Everyone was discussing these things in terms of what ifs. Frederick knew what was coming. The time was swiftly approaching when he can either be Wanda Maximoff’s savior or her executioner. Rachel had him pegged. He did feel vulnerable. He felt that if he acted swiftly and alone, he could beat anyone who had already decided to kill her to the punch. Chief among them was Wolverine.

Arguments were erupting around them about what makes a mutant a mutant (he had opinions on this, but his mind was elsewhere), who is deserving of death, Voltaire. Frederick could sidestep this. He felt the mirror in his pocket. The synapses in his brain were firing rapidly… and then a little nudge came.

Fred breathed a soft sigh through his nose and gave Rachel the smallest of nods. He’d try it her way. “I have a plan,” he said, his voice just loud enough to break up the din of argument. "You do?!" His sword said audibly. Of course, he would probably get some incredulous looks. If Xavier and Dr. Fate couldn’t do it, what could f***ing Ronin do?

“Wanda’s powers are a threat to this plane of existence… so we should remove her from this plane. I can travel between worlds as long as I have a mirror. There’s a plane adjacent to ours called the Faewyld. It’s an ever-changing mass of imagination, dreams, and thoughts. When a mind steps foot there, it takes shape in accordance with that individual’s psyche. Dream and nightmare become physical beings. I can take Wanda there. Her reality warping powers can do as much damage as they possibly can and the Faewyld will recover endlessly.” He gave a side-glance to Rachel, then to the Professor and Magneto.

Spoiler: Cue the Music
    Show

“I'll go with her and we can confront her nightmares. I’m not sure it’s going to work. It will be dangerous. But we should take every chance available to us. I’m ready and willing to go alone if I have to.” He wasn’t going to openly ask for volunteers. Fred didn’t want anyone to die following his crazy plan. “Worst case scenario… neither of us come back. This plane is safe and we at least tried to take the high road.”
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2015-12-14 at 06:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Look at you, playing nice. Rachel sounds legitimately impressed.

You might expect a thoughtful silence at your words. After all, your plan is a good one. It represents the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that is needed right now.

Obviously, it's not that simple. You get a bunch of superheroes in the room together and EVERYONE is going to want a say. But at least said says are mostly positive!

"It COULD work . . ." Zatanna begins thoughtfully, and then semi unnecessarily; "Nice to see you're sacking up on your arcana, Broll. I owe Potence a fruit basket. Or fermented fruit. Wine. Any kind of booze, really . . ."

Doctor Fate interjects, voice booming out.

"We'd need to secure her both within and without. We cannot have her breaking out of there in a moment of madness, and we certainly don't want any invading spirits getting into her head and making things worse."

"I could speak to my brother. Brian has connections out there . . ." Psylocke begins. It's weird, she doesn't seem to hang out with her brother that often.

"So do I. So does Ronin. Biggest issue is the cost: we either set her up somewhere remote without anyone knowing or we ask one of the powers over there for protection."

"That would be costly, wouldn't it? The fae have a reputation for giving nothing for nothing . . ." Batman chimes in (what does HE know about magic stuff, though?)

"But setting her up WITHOUT protection from a local power . . . It's an option?" Captain America interjects, clearly trying to place himself on firm ground.

"Not really. There isn't much in the way of a no-man's land over there. Every demesne is accounted for . . ."

"Really? What about Vanheim?" Iron Man speaks up, "Isn't that pretty much a free territory after Thor's people vanished with Ragnarok?"

"Yeah, but that's awfully close to le Fay, whenever she bothers to come check on the place. And I've heard whispers about Nightmare trying to claim some of that territory for himself. Also how the hell do you know about Vanheim?"

"I'll tell you over dinner sometime."

"Yeah, no thanks, Mr. 15-Years-Sober."

"We might have some luck petitioning Merlin for help, or perhaps calling upon Avalon . . ."

"Merlin is a letch. No way do we want him near Wanda. Avalon . . . eh. Maybe. Fred, did you have anywhere specific in mind?" Zatanna asks, abruptly redirecting the conversation to you.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yeah, I know, there's a lot of faerie stuff in the Marvel/DC Multiverse (more, since I'm including all Sandman-related things). Feel free to draw on any of the ones you know, or roll for Expertise (Supernatural)!
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2015-12-15 at 04:05 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

I can play nice
    , he replied with a slight, sly twist to it.

Everyone chimed in to their extent. Even though Cap didn’t have much to say, Ronin always gave deference to Cap. Zatanna’s little comment was somewhat ironic, considering the extent of Fred’s magical training around Potence.

Spoiler: FLASHBACK
    Show
    Cue a montage of Fred Broll attacking supervillains with a sword over and over again. Doctor Freeze, Zoom, Suicide Squad, Sinister Six, Doombots, Jason Todds, Circe, MORE JASON TODDS, MODOKs and Modok.

Yeah, there wasn’t a lot of magical theory being explored.

The comment received a “Tch” from Fred. The input from the others was reasonable… in fact, they all seemed to know more about where he was planning to go than he did. He was forced to realize that lone wolfing it this time would have been a big mistake. His right hand, down by his side, lifted ever so slightly to hook his fingers into Rachel’s, if for no other reason than to acknowledge he knew when he was wrong. It wasn’t a grand gesture, but it was something.

“I don’t think it’s the right move to bring her into a populated area. Wanda could accidentally cause catastrophe in Avalon. That place has form and structure. It would bounce back eventually, but they’ll be angry. Someone could get hurt.”

He paused for a moment. “Let me put it this way. In Otherworld, a child who believes enough in the monster under his bed will cause that monster to manifest. That’s a child with no power, no magical ability. Think of what’s in Wanda’s mind and what she could manifest.”

Thinking practically, what did he need to make this optimal. “We need remote. We need some kind of buffer against other interested parties. Vanaheim sounds like a mistake, though. We’re going to make noise. La Fey and Nightmare will notice.”

He looked down, thinking about the play here—taking everyone’s views into account. “Oberon. We petition King Oberon to use his wilderness.” The king of the fae was known to Ronin, in this life and in others… in memories stretching back into haze. “Batman’s right. There will be a price to pay. Let me worry about that.” Hero complex hoooo.

“I’d appreciate Brian’s help on this, Betsy,”
    he said to Psylocke. Captain Britain was damned headquartered in Otherworld, not to mention being another original member of Excalibur.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

One by one, they come forward. Just as you knew they would.

"I'll be coming with you," Rachel says, stepping forward.

"So will I," Kitty speaks up, nearly simultaneously.

"So will we," Colossus strides forward, arms crossed and a small grin playing on his face.

"Getting the band back together, ja?" Kurt grins, stepping forward himself.

"Um, what band? What am I missing here?" asks Tony "FOMO" Stark.

"I would love to be in a band!" enthuses Starfire, looking kawaii as a motherf***er in her eagerness, "Especially since that band appears to consist of my former Excalibur teammates!"

"Never mind, then . . ."

"I'll let Brian know to expect you, then," Psylocke says, smirking slightly.

"Hold!"

It's Magneto. Of course it's Magneto. Only Magneto, Namor, or Doom would say "hold" as a synonym for "stop".

He sweeps over towards the center of the group, cape swooshing as dramatically as ever. With anyone else it would be vaudevillian, but never with Magneto. Agree or disagree with his politics or methods, the man is a stone cold bad*** and has earned the right to unironic cape-swooshes.

His face, though . . . it's less the mask of dignified rage that you're used to, and more an expression of exhausted desperation. If Charles looks exhausted, Magneto is desperately clinging to the edge of sanity.

"I have heard tell that magical creatures such as those which you describe fear iron . . ."

"Erik . . ." Xavier begins in that patient tone of warning that you know so well.

"Is it true?" the Lord of Genosha pushes, facing you directly.

Spoiler: Insight DC 10
    Show
    Yeah, okay. Magneto wants to join your little expedition.

Spoiler: Insight DC 15
    Show
    PROBABLY as a way to make up for his time spent as a horrible father.

Spoiler: Insight DC 20
    Show
    But also out of fear of entirely losing a chance to bring his daughter back to his side.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show
    You just noticed the faintest of blurs circling in and out of the room. Looks like Quicksilver IS here, but doesn't want to be seen.

Spoiler: Perception DC 25
    Show
    Yo where the **** did Logan go?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

He didn’t want anyone to volunteer but he was glad with who he got. Never in a million years did he expect the original (O.G.) Excalibur to form up again. They were some of his favorite people in the entire world. Despite himself a smile crept onto his lips. “Thank you, guys.” He wasn’t going to try to talk them out of it. He knew he couldn’t. Excalibur was the best.

Fred was getting ready to put this plan into motion when Magneto dramatically halted him. Magneto was good at that. Ronin turned to face his old adversary/headmaster/enemy/friend/and everything in between. Magneto was spot on. Fred himself could attest to the burn of cold iron. “Cold iron. Yes.” Magneto might even know this from practice, unless he hadn’t put two and two together. Surely the master of magnetism wrapped the scrappy swordsman in iron bonds at some point. “If you come, you follow our lead. Deal?”

Fred sympathized with Magneto to a degree… but full on trust in him to do the right thing without serious supervision? Let’s not go that far. At that moment, Fred detected a shimmer. Quicksilver was present—couldn’t say for how long, but he was there and— “Oh sh**, LOGAN!” Fred dropped everything.

“Magneto, where is she? Kurt, I need a teleport, now!”

Now, it might be unfair to assume Logan was unilaterally acting as the executioner. But if Fred believed that was the right call—it’s what he would be doing right now. The one good thing about this situation... Magneto could shut Logan down instantly if they made it in time. If.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

The room (which had up until now been filled with emoting X-Men, bemused Avengers, and detached JLA members) springs into action. Cyclops and Emma begin barking orders almost instantaneously, sending Psylocke, Rogue, and Remy out onto the grounds to check the exterior while Cyclops leads the rest of the team (minus Kurt) into the building proper.

"Emma, keep us linked! Fred, get to Wanda and get ready to extract her to the Faewyld!" Scott calls before leaving, and then continues over Emma's link: If you need to, get her there now and we'll send the rest of the team to rendezvous with you once you can message us from a secure place!

The Flash zooms out of the room immediately, with Captain Marvel and the Falcon hot on his tail. Captain America sprints for the door into the palace, calling for Luke and Wonder Woman to follow him. Ms. Marvel and Spider Woman both make a beeline for the exterior of the building, shooting upwards along the façade. The Green Lanterns follow shortly after. Cyborg and Iron Man both yell something about thermal scans.

LOGAN, NO!

We have a solution, Wolverine! Don't!

Professor X and Rachel scream into the mindspace in near-unison as the X-Men scatter.

"Fred! Mirror, now!" Zatanna yells, as Fate begins incanting.

It's chaos in multiple directions. But the eye is drawn irresistibly to Magneto.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU MONGREL!"

Magneto never does anything by half measures. At a gesture from the Master of Magnetism, a section of the ceiling is wrenched asunder . . . as are the next dozen ceilings beyond that one. In a few seconds, Wolverine craters into the floor at the feet of Magneto. Only his healing factor preserves him from being reduced to a bloody pulp. From a supine position, Logan snarls ineffectually.

"You thought to kill MY CHILD? IN MY OWN HOUSE???" Magneto roars like a man possessed, bringing Logan up to eye level.

Whoosh

"Father-wait-it's-not-what-"

Zoom

"Maximoff-you-son-of-a-"

The Flash and Quicksilver have both arrived, and are helping absolutely nobody by talking over each other. The other heroes are scrambling back, trying to reverse the momentum of their haste or otherwise proceeding onwards obliviously.

"Eric, stop it! Let him go, NOW!" Charles yells, nay, shrieks. But Magneto seems past listening.

"IT'S TIME SOMEONE PUT YOUR RABID DOG DOWN, CHARLES!"

Wolverine yells as his limbs begin to bend at unnatural angles. Magneto seems past reason, as bad as you've ever seen him. Pietro runs at his father, only to be intercepted by the Flash. Batman begins running towards Magneto, flinging aside metallic batarangs and other ferrous equipment on him.

Amid all of this, Kurt has stayed beside you, ready to teleport you at your word.

"What do you need of me?" he yells at you, somehow contriving to be the calmest one here.

Show
    It's faint, but you hear a woman's voice calling from up above. She sounds like she's on the verge of tears.

"Father? What . . . what is happening?"
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2015-12-17 at 02:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

Things went south incredibly quickly. Everyone scattered to find Logan. Scott made his directive clearly and it made sense – for a number of reasons. Regardless of what was about to happen here, an unstable Wanda needed to be removed from the situation. Understood. Fred was still waiting for an answer as to where Wanda actually was. His plan was to have Kurt bamf him to that location then they all three mirrorport into Otherworld. Ronin at least has Kurt on backup going in. Of course, 99% of Fred’s plans fall apart and change on the fly… just like this one.

“Where is she?” He asked again, doing his best to get an answer from someone.

“Where is she?!” His teeth were starting to bare, though his voice didn’t raise much. He was about to shout it when Magneto ripped Logan down from above – through multiple floors of the building. At the moment, Ronin wasn’t too worried for Logan’s safety. If he was trying to kill Wanda, he deserved that. Besides, he’ll live. What was more troubling was when Magneto began to try and actually kill Logan. Ronin quickly calculated a path of attack. Drop Starsoul or cloak it. Get underneath Magneto’s helmet and strike for the throat.

Of course.. this is before he heard a voice calling out from above—a voice that sounded deeply troubled. A voice that belonged to someone that could destroy earth if she became inconsolable. Fighting Magneto right now would be folly. It would inflame the situation further and lead to disaster. Fred needed to be able to do both. He needed to rely on his friends.

“Change of plan, Kurt,”
    Fred said calmly beneath the shouting. “Bamf to Wolverine and get him far away from here. I’m going to Wanda. See you in Otherworld.” Ronin looked up towards the hole in the ceiling and began to jump upward, putting Jackie Chan to shame as he used his air-running powers to ascend at a blazing pace. To prevent interception, he exhaled and transformed into Shadow Form, moving through whatever was in his way.

Once Ronin had found Wanda, he reverted back into his solid, physical form so as not to frighten her. Despite the chaos below, he spoke calmly. “Wanda, my name is Fred. I’m one of the X-Men. I know you don’t know me, but I’m here to help you.” Kill the witch. “I very much want to help you.” His voice had an almost heart-breaking sincerity to it.
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2015-12-16 at 03:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

You hear the sounds of a struggle below, but thankfully the noise all blends into one without trained senses. It is impossible to, for example, hear Wolverine clang to the floor and not get up. And one could certainly not distinguish the sound of Magneto receiving multiple body blows from the Dark Knight, or Pietro roaring in uncharacteristic rage.

No, it's all noise right now. But Wanda flinches at every single wave of sound.

"Fred . . ." she looks at you with unfocused eyes. Seen up close, you can see that she is constantly sweating. A fever, perhaps? Or nerves?

"Fred . . . Blob? Are you . . . I had a dream about you and you were a mask of skin and you weren't a mutant anymore. Was it really a dream? Is that why you're so skinny?"

One of the ceilings collapses below, and Wanda shudders.

"X-Men . . . Ex-men . . . you are an ex-man. You used to be a man but now you are more. Or maybe less? I don't . . . I can't remember, Fred."

She leans over to you, as though telling you a secret.

"I know my babies are dead. I know my husband is dead. But sometimes I pretend that they're alive and I forget to stop pretending and there they are. So how can I be pretending? But then I remember and I . . . I . . ."

"Hee hee hee heeeee . . . Babies, babies, give me your shrieking truuuue/I'm half-crazy over the blood from youuuu!/It's time for the kids to perish!/Like a delayed miscarriage!/And mothers fear/What Wanda dear/Is about to have to go throuuuuugh!!! Hee hee hee heeeee . . ."

You don't see or hear anything, but for a moment you know that Wanda has just bent reality to include the Joker singing behind you while he slices the sobbing Maximoff children to pieces . . . and then wished it away.

Wanda, likewise, breaks down into silent tears.

"What are they going to do to me, Fred? Are they going to give me to the Joker too?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

Ronin was still extremely concerned about what was happening below. Despite the presence of the God Damned Batman, Kurt, Xavier, and the entire presence of three superhero teams in this location, Fred felt that pang of guilt for leaving the fight. He’d feel it so much more intensely later, but for now he had to focus on what was in front of him. A poor, broken woman. Fred stepped in closer to her, speaking quietly in the hopes she could focus on his voice.

She had a moment of fleeting lucidity. Some part of her knows what happened… she knows that her powers are bringing these things into being. Then he hears the song – or does he hear it? He felt the sensation in his blood that the Joker would have provoked. It’s only then that Frederick truly understands the extent of Wanda’s power. What she created was no illusion. It was real. The Joker was being recreated by her tortured mind to plague her further.

As she wept, he brought his hands up to her shoulders very gently – more gently than any would expect from a killer. “No one’s going to give you to the Joker. Wanda, I’m going to take you to a place where he can never follow you. I’ll protect you. I swear it.” He stepped back and held out a hand for her while his other grasped at a mirror.

If she took hold, he’d waste no time and complete the spell to send them across the barrier of worlds, away from the chaos of Genosha… away from people who thought to kill her. Away.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

FWOOSH

The chaos of Genosha drops away and you emerge in the Faewyld.

As far as locations within Oberon's domain go, this one is fairly picturesque. You stand in a sunlit clearing, a glistening green mat of grass punctuated by blue and yellow flowers. Beyond, the trees sway ominously, shrouded oaks and pines wrapped in shadows that defy a simple dimness of light. Glimpses through the trees show evil faces that quickly resolve themselves into simple patterns and warps in the bark, but in the corner of the eye they remain faces, cruel and twisted faces contemplating butchery and savagery and evil tricks that would leave the hapless wanderer mad or dead . . .

The Faewyld is a land where pretense becomes reality and reality is subject to pretense. In the real world, Schrödinger's cat is simultaneously alive and dead until you open the box. Here, the cat is alive and dead even after you've opened the box and looked inside.

Wanda gasps and looks around the clearing uncertainly. She is not terrified, but she is very confused.

"This place . . ."

"Ho! Travellers!"

As expected. No matter how deserted a part of the Faewyld may appear, there are always spirits watching. It's impossible to be truly lost: Just stand somewhere, and you'll be found. Whether that's a good thing depends entirely on who or what finds you.

A knife-thin man steps from behind a treetrunk. He is built like a guitar string, skinny and almost disproportionately tall, as he cannot possibly have enough features to justify his height. He is dressed in a friar's cassock and wears a wide-brimmed hat, but this means nothing: many of the Faewyld's denizens delight in parodying the sacred.

As with most otherwordly beings trying to look humanoid, the clue is in the face: beneath his hat, you see eyes that are entirely too luminous to belong to any ordinary human. He has irises, but it is impossible to discern any color to them: you merely get the impression of brightness. His smile is the same way: knife-like, with a gleam to it that goes beyond a simple care for dental hygiene. Everything about his appearance suggests a kind of hunger, of wanting; not an unusual or even necessarily deadly trait in this place, but one to watch out for.

"Unless I am greatly mistaken, I see a witch new-minted and a warrior cut of ancient cloth. A portentous pair, upon my word! Why, I'd as leif expect the blood of the one upon the blade of the other! One's a bird-killer, the other kills the birds! And yet I tell a lie through disorder, for the bird-killer has been killed by the birds before while the killer of birds has been hawked herself! Truly, a calumny of falconry, and one far beyond the wit of this poor friar!"

He rings the clearing as he speaks, avoiding the sunlight as he circles the two of you like a shark.

"What brings you to the realm of Oberon, jay-hawks? Have you flown from your masters, or do you come a-hunting? We've game here aplenty, game and games alike! A story for a poor friar, lawks, a story!"

Show
    Under the friar's patter, you hear a faint metallic scraping through the woods. It sounds like chain links scraped across a forest floor . . .

This "friar" is not alone.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

In this place, Ronin’s true nature could not be hidden by glasses or shades of any kind. His entire being, from head to toe, seemed a touch brighter than everything else around him; more colorful, more vibrant. Sometimes, when one would view him in the corners of one’s eye, that person would see a different individual standing there. Sometimes a knight, sometimes a bare-chested barbaric warrior, and sometimes a being of beauty that defied the senses—never to be seen completely, for every time one looks directly at him, it’s still Frederick Allen Broll.

“Home sweet home, right boss?”

As they arrived, he took a brief moment to glance about. It had been years since he’d come here. The birthplace of Starsoul and – in a way of looking at it – his own birthplace… so long ago. He crouched down and slowly ran his fingers across the flower petals below. Beyond the clearing was the Forest, tempered by humankind’s fear of what lurks out in the dark wilderness. It was a very old fear, and it made woods like these dangerous in the Faewyld. It didn’t take him long to ascertain the nature of that danger, either.

This particular fae bore resemblance to knives. In every facet of his being there was hunger and an undercurrent of menace. He wasn’t alone, either… Ronin could hear the sounds of metal being moved in the dark beyond. Fred tensed for a fight. With his right hand, he unsheathed his blade one inch. His left hand opened and was held out a distance from his body, ready to snatch Starsoul from its sheath.

“Stay behind me,” he said quietly to Wanda.

“Our business is our own. You and your friends should let us pass.”
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

The friar stares at you for a moment. His luminous grin switches off abruptly, but his eyes remain the same as ever.

"I see you know the way of things," he says, voice like an icy blade, "But perhaps you require a reminder: you, errant knight of a knight-errant, are in the realm of Oberon. Your business is, by definition, his business, lest your business be business for another."

The chains clank audibly now. You can even catch a glimpse of them slithering through the forest like snakes floating on the air. Wanda stares at them, fascinated.

"So, perhaps the knight-errant will err towards prudence and tell me what business he would have with my master?" the friar asks sweetly.

Spoiler: DC 25 Insight
    Show
    You know the way this part of the Faewyld works: it's all in the words. How you present yourself, what you say, in what precise order you say it. Truth is truth, but creative renditions of the truth are all the rage. Depending on how you tell the truth here, the realm will be kinder to you . . . or not.

To that end, you see how the monk has set the sentence up: if you acknowledge his premise, then you are a knight-errant refusing to acknowledge the power of the local lord. Therefore, you are in the wrong. And the Faewyld loves to punish those who are in the wrong.

Spoiler: DC 30 Insight
    Show
    Furthermore . . . it is a minor thing, but perhaps significant: the monk has acknowledged a master, but whether that master is indeed Oberon is something else entirely could be left open for interpretation. This monk might have no power here at all . . . beyond any that he might be able to exert himself, of course.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

It was difficult to get an accurate read on the Friar of Knives, but Ronin didn’t trust him. The fae structured his sentences in a way that said nothing definitely. Ronin’s eyes narrowed beneath his mirror shades. “Then I will speak to Oberon or his representatives. You are not Oberon. You do not bear his crest or his seal. You are a stranger to me.”

At home here in the realm of the fae, Ronin removed his shades and calmly placed them into his pocket. His multi-colored eyes seemed to glow in this world. “The only thing I’ll tell you is this: you don’t want to be my enemy.”

Fred could only hear warning sirens going off in his mind. This being of hunger and knives was running some kind of game. Fred just couldn’t figure out what it was.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

The friar glares at you. You get the distinct impression that this is not how he wanted this to go in the slightest. When he speaks, it is not otherworldy or connivingly or with any kind of force beyond simple . . . petulance.

"Fine. I see I am not a sufficient representative of Oberon for you to treat with, OH mighty warrior! I see you are of the Faewyld but do not treat in the games that make life here worth living. So be it! It will damn you in the end!"

He goes stalking into the woods, gesturing angrily at you and Wanda to follow.

"They're coming with us to see the king!" he yowls into the woods, irate as all getout, "You can let them pass! Damn it . . ."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

Ronin held his right arm out, blocking Wanda’s path if she were somehow inclined to follow the friar. Nothing about what the fae said negated Fred’s prior misgivings. Just because he said he would take Fred and Wanda to Oberon didn’t mean that he would. Neither did it mean he was a representative of Oberon – and at this rate, if the fae said that, Fred wouldn’t believe him. A real representative of Oberon would have used the color of authority. This one was slippery. In fact…

“Go the other way,” Fred said softly to Wanda. He took hold of the woman’s hand and began to cautiously move away, taking care to keep his attention split between the friar and the chains out in the woods. He could have air-walked above the tree cover, but doing so would require him to either carry Wanda (and be forced to fight at disadvantage) or urge her to use her powers – something he absolutely did not want to do. So grounded they would be for now.

“Not a worry, Wanda, boss is the best yojimbo in the biz.”
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

The friar allows you to walk away, and soon you've lost them in the gloom. The woods press closely around you, cutting off all light and sound. The trees around you make the entire world feel muffled, shrouded in a sound-eating darkness filled with conspiring faces and carnivorous intent that seems to stretch for miles and miles and miles. Soon you've lost the entirety of the light and it's just the gray overhanging darkness slipping between the trees alongside you, like some third companion that does not speak but always listens . . .

As you walk, you notice that Wanda's appearance has changed. When she came with you, she was in what amounted to white pajamas. Now, though, her clothes are far more flowing and robe-like, and the tint has gone sanguine. She speaks, and her voice is quiet but far more confident than it was before . . .

"I think," she states with careful enunciation, "that I can see clearly here. Clearer, anyway."

A short pause, then.

"I know a little bit about you. I know you have powers that are mutant and otherworldly, like me. I know you run with Wolverine and Zatanna and the like. You and I have been on opposite sides, but we've had a similar set of lessons. So, as one student to another, I ask you this: If you were in my position, at the head of a power you can scarcely control . . . what would you do?"

Her voice is plaintive, even at a low volume.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20 AND Insight DC 20
    Show
    The trees are bending in and the quiet is beginning to become oppressive. Something is listening.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

Even amidst the growing darkness of the woods, Ronin stood out with a splash of color. The X upon his back stood out more than any other, perhaps just as a reflection of who he identified himself as and where his allegiance lied. He walked through this world as one with one foot in and one foot out. Though fae he was in origin, the original incarnation had decided long ago to live among the people of men as one of their own. This world could be beautiful and dangerous in equal measure.

At some point he looked back to Wanda and realized that… she was beginning to resemble her namesake. She spoke with clarity and purpose. It was unclear if she knew that Frederick Allen Broll was a man who possessed two otherworldly aspects. Her question gave him pause. His footsteps stopped and he turned to face her.

Since Ronin had become one with the Phoenix Force, he’d thought about the answer to this question. What happens if his will begins to warp and he becomes a danger to the world? What happens if he becomes the Dark Phoenix? His answer was simple. As in most things, he looked to his code. The same code that frustrated Katie and sometimes seemed irrational was the code that gave clarity to his way forward. It enabled him to be the kind of hero the world needed. If he were to turn into the Dark Phoenix, bushido would demand that he kill himself before the change could be completed.

And it’s exactly what he planned to do if that were ever the case.

“Wanda, what I would do shouldn’t dictate what you should do,” he said quietly. “Years ago I decided to follow the Way of the samurai. It’s a harsh code, but one I’ve committed to.” He offered a small smile. “You haven’t. Right now we’re in a place that is far away from our world. Your powers won’t have as great an effect here. I’m going to stay here with you until we can make you whole.”

“It’s not the answer to your question… but what I want you to do is to get better.”

The woods weren't lost upon him. He knew something was listening out there... but she needed to hear this regardless.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Wanda laughs weakly at this, even as the air becomes more and more oppressive.

"That's not an answer, but it's a good non-answer. Bravo. But we haven't left my crimes behind with the world. I killed my husband, and dozens of others. I've opened doors to other universes . . . how do you come back from that?"

~Fred? You there?~

Rachel's thoughtspeak rings out across your mindscape.

~We just took a portal in. We're above a massive stone ravine ringed by forest. Does that sound familiar? The sky is completely clear. We might risk a flyby to find you. I'm not picking up much in the way of thoughts, but I don't know if that means much of anything . . .~

The air is starting to feel really dense now. Not enough to harm, but enough to provide severe discomfort. Wanda doesn't seem to notice, but YOU certainly do.

Spoiler: DC 25 Expertise (Supernatural)
    Show
    Sounds like they might be near the border of Oberon's domain, shared to some degree of peacefulness with the Children of the Storm. The Children are a bunch of bratty elemental ponces, but they're not inherently dangerous or aggressive. From the air, you could probably find them pretty easily . . .

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

“I won’t lie. The things you did caused real damage. Your powers, without control, are dangerous… but the things you did were the result of a calculated ploy to break you.” There was a pause and his eyes looked right into Wanda’s, a color as bright as the sun breaking through the clouds. “We will not let him succeed.” His intensity subsided for a moment as he answered her question. How does one come back from this? “I don’t know… but Jean came back from it. You can too.”

A pleasant voice came through his mind and brought a small smile to his face. I’m here, Rach. We’re in a forest of faces. It’s dark here. Not much light above. I’m going to try and get airborn. Maybe we can see each other. As for not sensing thoughts… There are locals nearby—and other things listening.

Rachel could sense Ronin’s discomfort through their mental link, but he did his best not to let it show outwardly.

“I think my friends are here. Come with me, we’ll take a look.” He moved in to pick Wanda up off of her feet. For someone with his level of strength, she was as light as a feather. Ronin then began to spring up, climbing higher and higher to see if he could escape the gloom and see the world around.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Ronin moves to pick Wanda up, but she waves him aside.

"No, I . . . I think I can handle myself."

Both she and Ronin go flying up into the canopies, dodging branches and needles and birds (at least, you think they're birds). The silence and darkness become more and more oppressive, until . . .

Krssshh

You emerge into a sunlit sky, leaving the (suddenly) deep green trees behind. Below, the forest stretches for miles before giving way to grassy green plains, rugged hills, and (eventually) purple mountains tipped with a hint of snow. The air is quiet, but for the songs of birds. Nothing seems particularly menacing . . .

"Oh, travelers! A joy, a boon to see!"

And then, abruptly, you are not alone. A white-haired youth in gossamer blue robes floats in front of you. And yet, "floats" is such a poor word: he dances, he capers, he rides the very wind as though it were his birthright. When he speaks, it is with the clarion tones of a woodwind fanfare.

"My name is Ewan Harke, Wind in the Pines
    I welcome thee to Old Man Sky's dutchy
    And lovely hope I this day doth thee find!
    Though, ere my welcome wear, a query here:
    Wherefore within the dutchy doest thou stray?
    For, with protection, thou hast naught to fear
    Yet protection would thine be, wert thou to pay
    Fealty and strict rev'rance to the lord
    Of this place. I think thou hast not thus done
    Else I'd of it have heard, and by my sword
    I'd have recalled if there were such a one
    As thou, mutant witch, or thou, warrior;
    So, thee to me, wherefore doest breach our shore?"

It must be noted that Ewan does not, at present, have a sword. However, being within the Faewyld, this fact does not preclude him from very rapidly acquiring one.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

Wanda’s flight was true flight. Ronin’s method required more effort, jumping from “platform” to “platform” on his way up. Fortunately he was a very strong and agile mutant, so this did little to diminish the speed at which he could ascend. As soon as they broke free of the trees, Ronin took a deep breath of the fresh air. He remained in a crouched position for a moment before standing and looking around to gain his bearings. He supposed the plains were a good place to get to… possibly the mountains for the work they needed to do. But still… he had to speak with—

Ronin’s face quickly snapped towards Ewan as he appeared. The samurai was on guard, but he made no aggressive movements. More poetry. Fantastic. When Ewan finished, Ronin took two steps forward. He placed his hands at his sides and then bowed politely.

“My name is Frederick Broll, or Ronin if you prefer.”
    His deep voice projected as he attempted to be on his best behavior. He was in no hurry to make enemies, and this individual seemed far more trustworthy than the friar of knives. “I am a warrior with no master. I am sworn to my cause—and to protect this woman. We are passing through in search of an audience with King Oberon. If we are passing through the realm of Old Man Sky, we will pay him his due respect. If he wishes our presence, he will have it. We mean no harm.”

More locals. If you fly, you have to deal with Old Man Sky. D*mn. Now I'm rhyming.
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2015-12-23 at 03:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

~No flying. Got it. So, are you finding us or are we finding you? We've just run into some monk who's trying to take us to Oberon. We keep telling him to wait until you get here but he's being REALLY persistent. Any advice?~

Ewan arches his eyes at this and looks you over quizzically.

"Ronin now? Thy name was not always so!
    Thine eyes, warrior, do betray thy self;
    An' thou doest wish the part, onstage I'll go
    But staged yet 'tis, as I'm an honest elf
    Thou sayest thou'd have treat with Oberon
    And yet to Old Man Sky pay thine respects?
    As well to try two animate souls on
    And so choose why manner thou would'st affect!
    Wouldst guard thy charge? Thus Oberon might do
    But once in his domain she would not leave
    Yet Old Man Sky's as the wind blowing through
    And passage thence and hence would be quite free!
    Thou flyest 'pon the air, ride'st the wind!
    As near this makes thee to me as my kin!"

~Okay Magneto just took off and Starfire is making friends with an inked up mobster guy with chains. I **** you not Fred, this is going down right now. I kinda need a game plan here.~

~I could fight the monk~ Psylocke chimes in cooly. Of course, everything Psylocke does is cool.

~Please don't fight the monk. Just . . . keep an eye on him, okay?~

~Er, I do not think he is a true man of the cloth . . .~ Kurt interjects. Apparently it's a conference call now.

~See? He's not really a monk. Totally doesn't count.~

~I am very confused here . . .~

~Don't attack the monk! Even if he's not really a monk, he's representing something holy, right? Isn't that how it works here?~

~This was a LOT easier when we had Pete Wisdom to explain things.~

Show
    Off in the distance, a ways behind Ewan, you can see a red and scarlet figure flying upwards from a nearby cluster of trees. From your perspective, it's hard to see if the ravine is there, but if it is then you've probably just found Magneto . . .

And if not, well, you've got a new set of issues.

Spoiler: Perception DC 30
    Show
    Okay, good. The ravine IS there. All good! No worries.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

It seemed that Ronin was being asked to choose between Oberon or Old Man Sky. Ewan suggested that Oberon would keep a tight watch on Wanda and Excalibur while Old Man Sky would largely let them roam as they pleased. Fred took a moment to think before he responded to Ewan… and as he thought, chaos erupted in the mindscape. Needless to say, Fred was multi-tasking.

“In this life, Ewan, I am Ronin.”

~Is he dressed like a friar? If so, he’s a liar.~ He grimaced immediately after he thought that. DAMMIT. More rhyming. ~All of you hold tight. I might be able to secure room to operate in the air. Try not to pick any fights... and don't follow that friar!~ As for where he was, he opened his mind and allowed the team to experience his senses for a moment, seeing what he saw. The mountains, the plains, the forest below. ~Does that help?~

Back to the decision at hand. Ronin’s small amount of arcane studies had touched upon Old Man Sky. His Children of the Storm were powerful and represented all things of the sky – including storms. This could make them occasionally temperamental, but not necessarily evil. They rarely gave the mortal world trouble and they valued freedom. The monarch himself was aloof and hands-off… which greatly appealed to Ronin’s own chafing under authority. This might actually be the way to go.

“Our task is dangerous, and I wish that no wicked parties interfere. I know of your clan and I regard you well. You make a good case for us to stay in the sky. I have other friends that I wish to join us. May we all go together for an audience with the patriarch? We can discuss the terms of this arrangement. I know he will seek a favor and I will provide that favor.”

"The boss always keeps his word. Always.”
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

~Okay, I think I can work with that. Keep me connected and tell me if you see anything. Kurt? Get above the trees.~

~Ja. One moment . . .~

Show
    Over Ewan's shoulder, you see a puff of purple and blue smoke. Apparently they're quite close!

Now that you look, there's also a red-and-purple-clad figure flying towards you. Looks like you've found Magneto . . .

Ewan claps his hands and spins through the air, laughing joyously at your words.

Well said, well done! An audience, thy wish?
    Say naught more and I'll do it in a trice:
    Thy charge will thank us all at the finish
    For we're physick to ev'ry craving vice
    Would'st rage, or sloth, or take, or lust? Do so!
    I know these things are dear to mortal folk
    As they are to us! But more than gusto
    For worldly pleasures keeps we Children yoke'd
    To allegiance to our sire; there's PEACE
    When all that raves and rages is the sky!
    One finds from worldly worries sweet release
    When sitting still within a great storm's eye
    These pleasures we offer thy charge and thee
    . . . Should Old Man Sky to thy sojourn agree . . ."

Show
    You notice that Wanda is sweating. She hasn't said anything, but you can see that this is an effort for her in one way or another.

Spoiler: Insight DC 25
    Show
    But the effort isn't expended in floating. She's working hard not to do more than just float right now.

Spoiler: Insight DC 30
    Show
    Talking about no limits on behavior, about peace to be found . . . this sales pitch would seem specifically tailored for you and Wanda. Suspiciously so, in point of fact . . .

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

~Nothing yet. Just keep your eyes open for us. I’ll keep mine open for you.~

There was a lot to juggle here, so Fred was missing some things he might otherwise see or hear. Ewan kept talking in sonnet, which was something else Fred had to parse out to get to the meaning. Ronin’s neutral expression shone with disapproval for a moment with the tactic Ewan was using here. Ronin was certainly not here to indulge in vice. He was not a thief, a lecher, or a layabout. Yeah he drank from time to time, yeah he was covertly a big ball of white hot fury raging against the injustice of the world, yeah he really enjoyed his recent trip to the infirmary. But none of these were what he’d classify as vice.

“We’re not interested in some pleasure palace. We have things to do.”

Peace, though… that’s what he needed to do his work here. They needed to be undisturbed so that Wanda could conjure and summon whatever demons needed to be faced. The entire point of treating with any of the fey nobility was to secure that breathing room. He glanced back towards Wanda and could see moisture beading on her skin. Without asking for her permission he looped his right arm underneath her armpit to help hold her aloft, if need be.

Then he realized something… Ewan’s arrival here was no accident. This was more than safeguarding his turf. Ewan knew (or thought he knew) exactly what would appeal to Ronin and the Scarlett Witch. He wasn’t a border guard… he was the salesman. Ronin looked at the wind rider for a long moment.

“You knew about us before we got here… and you really want us to go with you. What do you know about us? And what are you after?” This wasn't a dealbreaker... but he did want answers. Fred’s look indicated that any BS would be met with disapproval.
    Spoiler
    Show