New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules VIII: When General Trumps Specific

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Swarms without a hivemind are immune to mind-affecting effects, including bardic music.
    Until they hit level 21 and take Music of the Gods! Then Bards can do pretty much whatever they want to whoever they want between buffs and the Power of Suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Several spells grant certain benefits just for learning them. Not preparing, not casting, just for knowing the spell. Some of these spells are on the lists of classes that automatically know their entire spell list, like Clerics.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Several spells grant certain benefits just for learning them. Not preparing, not casting, just for knowing the spell. Some of these spells are on the lists of classes that automatically know their entire spell list, like Clerics.
    That's quite interesting! Could you give a few examples?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Adoration of the Frightful (+1 to Diplomacy), Vision of the Omniscient Eye (+1 to Spot), Burst of Glacial Wrath (resist cold 5; not a Cleric spell). There are others.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

I seem to recall Curmudgeon at one point said that the only spells that are spells known are ones that you can currently cast. I don't recall where they would have said this.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    I seem to recall Curmudgeon at one point said that the only spells that are spells known are ones that you can currently cast. I don't recall where they would have said this.
    Wouldn't that play utter havoc with wands and staffs?
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    All X are Y does not imply that all Y are X. Just because all spells you know are ones you can cast (Which I don't incidentally think is true) doesn't imply the reverse.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Spell Trigger and Spell Completion items like scrolls, wands and staves merely require you to have the spell on your list, not that you know it. This is why even sorcerers are very powerful with a large variety of these items.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Just noticed a new one: A Dryad that casts Acorn of Far Travel on an acorn harvested from their oak tree is considered touching the tree at all times, regardless of whether they are actually carrying the acorn.

Of course, this is only vacuously true, because Acorn of Far Travel must be cast on an acorn that is still attached to a tree, and thus there is no way to cast it on a harvested acorn.

Not a dysfunction: They specifically covered that case elsewhere in the book. Only classes like Sorcerer that have a limited number of spells known get a benefit from learning those spells.
    Last edited by Story; 2015-12-23 at 04:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Just noticed a new one: A Dryad that casts Acorn of Far Travel on an acorn harvested from their oak tree is considered touching the tree at all times, regardless of whether they are actually carrying the acorn.

Of course, this is only vacuously true, because Acorn of Far Travel must be cast on an acorn that is still attached to a tree, and thus there is no way to cast it on a harvested acorn.
    "As you cast the spell, the spirit of the oak tree wells into the acorn, which detaches into your hand once the casting is complete." Given that "harvest" isn't a defined game term, I think we can safely default to the common sense "the acorn targeted by this spell that fell off the tree" in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Not a dysfunction: They specifically covered that case elsewhere in the book. Only classes like Sorcerer that have a limited number of spells known get a benefit from learning those spells.
    Not entirely true:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Magic
    Characters gain an extra benefit by learning some of these spells, as noted in the “Special” entry after a spell’s description. This benefit applies to any character who has a list of spells known, such as a bard, sorcerer, warmage (see Complete Arcane) or favored soul (see Complete Divine), but not to characters who prepare spells from a class list or a spellbook, such as a cleric or wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane
    When a warmage gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level listed on the warmage’s spell list. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Not entirely true:
    Warmage does get spells aside from those though, due to Advanced Learning. Whether that means they get the benefit of such spells if they appear only through that feature or if they just need to show up on the list somewhere, your guess is as good as mine.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Divine casters don't actually have spells known at all unless their class description specifies otherwise. Spells known are typically an arcane thing.

Swarms without a hivemind are immune to mind-affecting effects, including bardic music.
    Mind-affecting immunity is a vermin trait, not a swarm trait. A swarm of animals is susceptible to mind-affecting effects. You're probably thinking of this rule:
    A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate), with the exception of mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) if the swarm has an Intelligence score and a hive mind.
    An effect that targets a specific number of creatures won't work on swarms unless it's a mind-affecting effect targeting a hive mind. So Inspire Courage and Countersong affect non-vermin swarms, but Inspire Greatness and Fascinate don't.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Has Crusader's stance progression been mentioned at all on these threads? Specifically comparing the Crusader exclusive Devoted Spirit stance levels with when the Crusader can actually learn them?
    I am a Curio Munchkin. No ordinary Chargebarians or Dragonwrought Kobolds for me. It's gotta be a specially bred Thri-kreen supersoldier that escaped the torturous experiments with nothing but luck and two awesome templates!
    Homebrew Projects

Why GiantIP is not babyproof

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

You can still get those stances by multiclassing. It's possible that that was even the intended behavior, to give Tome of Battle classes an incentive to multiclass.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

The Lady/Lord of the Dead prestige class. You're not a lord. You're not a lady. You are, in fact, a "lady/lord", whatever that is, regardless of your gender.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Falling is a free action
    You are incapable to take free actions outside of your turn (sans few very specific exceptions)
    Falling is not exception
    So, if enemy bull rash you off a cliff, or pit trap open under your feet, you wouldn't fall; you will hang in the air until it's your turn - assuming no of your allies reach and pull you back to stable ground

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Falling is a free action
    You are incapable to take free actions outside of your turn (sans few very specific exceptions)
    Falling is not exception
    So, if enemy bull rash you off a cliff, or pit trap open under your feet, you wouldn't fall; you will hang in the air until it's your turn - assuming no of your allies reach and pull you back to stable ground
    So what if you're unconscious? Do you keep floating above the cliff, then fall down when it's your turn?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Is falling actually a free action, or is it a nonaction? Cite?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

So what if you're unconscious? Do you keep floating above the cliff, then fall down when it's your turn?
    Unconscious:
    Knocked out and helpless.
    Helpless:
    A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (-5 modifier).
    A character with Dexterity 0 is paralyzed.
    Paralyzed:
    A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act.
    So, unconscious is helpless, helpless treated as paralyzed, and paralyzed is "unable to move or act".

It's mean you will float until either regain your consciousness, or somebody/something move you to more supportive surface

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Is falling actually a free action, or is it a nonaction? Cite?
    Falling prone in your own space is a free action. However, nothing actually causes you to fall except if you're taking the actions to do so. This is a known dysfunction.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Falling prone in your own space is a free action. However, nothing actually causes you to fall except if you're taking the actions to do so. This is a known dysfunction.
    Gravity causes you to fall, as per that rule that says the material plane has normal physics unless otherwise stated.

I'm sure if we poked around, we could find more specific things that make you fall as well, like failing to maintain a minimum speed for a flying creature with average maneuverability or worse.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Gravity causes you to fall, as per that rule that says the material plane has normal physics unless otherwise stated.
    Then simply go to another plane.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Then simply go to another plane.
    Most planes have the "normal gravity" trait, which is defined as "similar to that of the Material Plane". The ones that don't have their own rules, which are mostly just "as normal, but...".

A possible dysfunction: planes with Heavy/Light Gravity double/halve weights and increase/decrease falling damage to d10/d4, but don't actually change the speed at which you fall.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Related: If someone falls 190 feet, then enters a planar bubble keyed to a plane with the Heavy Gravity trait, his fall will be resolved as if he fell 200 feet on a plane with heavy gravity. That's got to be dysfunctional.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Related: If someone falls 190 feet, then enters a planar bubble keyed to a plane with the Heavy Gravity trait, his fall will be resolved as if he fell 200 feet on a plane with heavy gravity. That's got to be dysfunctional.
    By how Momentum is supposed to work, but I think if you look at it like "twice as Heavy is Twice the impact" it works just fine. Yes, Increased gravity should actually just increase the acceleration and so increase the speed slightly. But D&D generally treats Weight and Mass as the same thing, and an object in the Planar Bubble is heavier than outside of it. As far as the rules are concerned, heavier objects hit harder.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Gravity is the only element of D&D which has acceleration. Characters go from standing still at the start of their turn to movement at their speed immediately; there's nothing between not moving and full speed. At the end of their turn of moving they're standing still again, also with no transition from moving to not moving. Fired arrows do the same damage at 1000' as they do at 10', so they don't decelerate in flight.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Gravity is the only element of D&D which has acceleration. Characters go from standing still at the start of their turn to movement at their speed immediately; there's nothing between not moving and full speed. At the end of their turn of moving they're standing still again, also with no transition from moving to not moving. Fired arrows do the same damage at 1000' as they do at 10', so they don't decelerate in flight.
    Creatures do accelerate and decelerate--the rules make mention of slowing down and speeding up in several places--it's just not modeled in the combat rules, which use average speed instead of doing calculus with your instantaneous velocity.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Creatures do accelerate and decelerate--the rules make mention of slowing down and speeding up in several places--it's just not modeled in the combat rules, which use average speed instead of doing calculus with your instantaneous velocity.
    Can you provide citations? It would be good to know where those are, because I can't think of any instances in the Player's Handbook. In particular, the combat rules for Run mean it will generally be disadvantageous only if there's no straight-line path that doesn't pass through an enemy's threatened area. Run is a full-round action, so you start it on your turn and finish it at the end of your turn. You can Run for multiple rounds, but you're always stopped when it's not your turn. And your straight-line Run path for a round can be in a completely different direction from your straight-line Run paths for the previous and following rounds.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Sure. Just off the top of my head, here's a couple relevant passages from the SRD.(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Aerial Movement
    Most flying creatures have to slow down at least a little to make a turn
    Quote Originally Posted by Moving Around in Squares
    In general, when the characters aren’t engaged in round-by-round combat, they should be able to move anywhere and in any manner that you can imagine real people could. A 5-foot square, for instance, can hold several characters; they just can’t all fight effectively in that small space. The rules for movement are important for combat, but outside combat they can impose unnecessary hindrances on character activities.
    I'm sure some digging could uncover more.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You can Run for multiple rounds, but you're always stopped when it's not your turn. And your straight-line Run path for a round can be in a completely different direction from your straight-line Run paths for the previous and following rounds.
    The former is probably more a quirk of the initiative system using discrete turns to represent simultaneous actions, but I certainly agree that the latter is a dysfunction.