New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules VIII: When General Trumps Specific

I didn't trawl through every thread to see if this was mentioned, but it wasn't in the Handbook...

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist's Fire
    Leaping into a lake or magically extinguishing the flames automatically smothers the fire.
    Does this mean jumping into a river or ocean does nothing if you've been set on fire by Alchemist's Fire? Or is there somewhere else that expands the rule and I'm just going crazy?
    Currently Playing:
    -

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chuckles View Post
    I didn't trawl through every thread to see if this was mentioned, but it wasn't in the Handbook...

Does this mean jumping into a river or ocean does nothing if you've been set on fire by Alchemist's Fire? Or is there somewhere else that expands the rule and I'm just going crazy?
    A character on fire may automatically extinguish the flames by jumping into enough water to douse himself.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

What if you jump into a lake of oil?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Oil is flammable, so you'd probably only make it worse.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Wouldn't you smother the flames anyway due to the lack of oxygen?

Can't say the same for the surface of the lake, though.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

I know, but the rules for alchemist's fire imply it'd smother the flames.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I know, but the rules for alchemist's fire imply it'd smother the flames.
    Which it would. As indicated above though, you'd likely set the rest of it on fire, which would make the reprieve short-lived at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

If a poison causes unconsciousness as its secondary effect, it lasts 1d3 hours unless stated otherwise. If it's the initial effect, it has no duration unless stated otherwise.

The reverse is also true of paralysis poisons. (initial is noted as 2d6 minutes, secondary isn't mentioned)
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MM5
    Special Qualities: A Vecna-blooded creature gains the following special qualities.
    Cloak of Mystery (Su): All knowledge of the Vecna-blooded creature fades from the world. Its original name, its deeds before becoming Vecna-blooded, and so forth, disappear from memory. Only Vecna and the Vecna-blooded creature retain this knowledge.
    If a vecna-blooded creature enters an antimagic field, does everyone remember him, or do people just stop forgetting him for that period of time?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    If a vecna-blooded creature enters an antimagic field, does everyone remember him, or do people just stop forgetting him for that period of time?
    I don't believe it's a continuous effect—it appears to be instantaneous.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

Superior Unarmed Strike doesn't work properly for Disciples of the Word, and presumably other monk-esque classes which aren't actually called "Monk" - they deal the SUAS damage, but they deal the DotW damage.

It also decreases the damage dealt by huge or larger unarmed strikes of 3rd-level characters, gargantuan or larger of 4th-7th, and colossal of 8th-11th. Another one for the "Game assumes you're medium" box, as well as the fact that it allows a moth-sized creature to do unrealistic amounts of damage, but that's slightly less flagrant.

Also, does anyone have any objections to me putting the following explanation into the OP?:

Spoiler: I'll take it out of the spoiler
    Show
    What this thread is for:

• Rules that clearly do something that is pointless or self-abnegating (EG Focused Lexicon is a feat that provides nothing but a penalty, no-one can use Chain Power, Hindering Opportunist helps your enemy).
    • Rules that do something that is vastly contrary from anything that could possibly be the intended effect (Drown Healing, Greater Reversed Seek the Sky lasts forever, Reversed Mystic Rampart is meant to lower someone's saves but actually drops a tower on them).
    • Rules that cause an non-resolvable game state (Peerless Archers can stack infinite attacks of opportunity)
    • Rules that don't define something well enough to use it ("Distracted", "Minimum Caster Level", "Paladin spell", "Primary Ability Score", "Special Material", anything missing a range or other variables).
    • Rules that, while they don't actually have a negative impact on the game as a game, do stop it making sense (EG fire and acid don't do fire and acid damage, you can fall 9 feet onto your head and take no damage, falling creatures deal no damage if they land on you).
    • Two or more rules combine to cause an above problem (AC bonuses and bonus feats exist, but bonuses are only applicable to die rolls so no they don't).

What this thread is not for

• Typos (Weapon deals 1d33 or 1d43 damage because 3 isn't superscript; "Share Lesser Form" mistyped as "Share Laser Form".)
    • Dysfunctions that only arise because of a specific reading of the text (In combat, everyone is flat-footed until they act, so they must have been flat-footed whenever they weren't in combat, even though the text only specifies that they're flat-footed in combat. Someone who can't be flanked can't have a person on each side of them because if they did, they would be flanked.) Unless every possible reading of the text is dysfunctional no matter how you read it (even if it's dysfunctional in different ways).

12. - Top - End - #102
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

My first time posting in these threads, not sure how valid this is, but it just jumped out at me while reading. It wasnt in the handbook, so it may not have come up.

The Hospitaler, in Defenders of the faith.
    Can be of any nonchaotic alignment. Falls (loses class) if she becomes chaotic.
    However, also falls if she performs any evil act. Despite lawful evil and neutral evil alignment being no hindrance to joining.

What exactly is the alignment restriction supposed to be here?

Its at minimum strange.

EDIT: On checking complete divine, the updated version of the hospitaler forbids chaotic acts, not evil acts. So i guess it got fixed. Although there the class has a bunch of other differences too.
    Last edited by Green and Red; 2016-01-03 at 06:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Also, does anyone have any objections to me putting the following explanation into the OP?:

Spoiler: I'll take it out of the spoiler
    Show
    What this thread is for:

• Rules that clearly do something that is pointless or self-abnegating (EG Focused Lexicon is a feat that provides nothing but a penalty, no-one can use Chain Power, Hindering Opportunist helps your enemy).
    • Rules that do something that is vastly contrary from anything that could possibly be the intended effect (Drown Healing, Greater Reversed Seek the Sky lasts forever, Reversed Mystic Rampart is meant to lower someone's saves but actually drops a tower on them).
    • Rules that cause an non-resolvable game state (Peerless Archers can stack infinite attacks of opportunity)
    • Rules that don't define something well enough to use it ("Distracted", "Minimum Caster Level", "Paladin spell", "Primary Ability Score", "Special Material", anything missing a range or other variables).
    • Rules that, while they don't actually have a negative impact on the game as a game, do stop it making sense (EG fire and acid don't do fire and acid damage, you can fall 9 feet onto your head and take no damage, falling creatures deal no damage if they land on you).
    • Two or more rules combine to cause an above problem (AC bonuses and bonus feats exist, but bonuses are only applicable to die rolls so no they don't).

What this thread is not for

• Typos (Weapon deals 1d33 or 1d43 damage because 3 isn't superscript; "Share Lesser Form" mistyped as "Share Laser Form".)
    • Dysfunctions that only arise because of a specific reading of the text (In combat, everyone is flat-footed until they act, so they must have been flat-footed whenever they weren't in combat, even though the text only specifies that they're flat-footed in combat. Someone who can't be flanked can't have a person on each side of them because if they did, they would be flanked.) Unless every possible reading of the text is dysfunctional no matter how you read it (even if it's dysfunctional in different ways).

I do like the last one. I think typos are fair game if they're not fixed by errata, though.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-01-03 at 06:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

I do like the last one. I think typos are fair game if they're not fixed by errata, though.
    Except that the errata are explicitly not for fixing typos:

Errata in this file includes material that the Wizards of the Coast RPG R&D department and editors feel might affect your gameplay experience. It does not include minor, typographical errors—the sort of thing that might be fixed in a reprint but has no impact on your game.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Master's Lament (HoH) says:

Target: One humanoid creature with a familiar or other empathically linked animal companion
    However, it also says:

This spell can be cast on either the master or the familiar.
    So you can cast it on familiars, but only if said familiars are humanoid?

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say that the description trumps the summary, there.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder what the rationale was for restricting it to humanoid casters only. What, are Dragons not allowed to have familiars now?
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

18. - Top - End - #108
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I wonder what the rationale was for restricting it to humanoid casters only. What, are Dragons not allowed to have familiars now?
    It's a power limiter, like enlarge person has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

The question is, do they mean the type of humanoid that includes stuff like orc sorcerers and dryadic druids or do they mean the Type of Humanoid that doesn't?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    The question is, do they mean the type of humanoid that includes stuff like orc sorcerers and dryadic druids or do they mean the Type of Humanoid that doesn't?
    It's not a question - humanoid is a reserved rules term and means the creature type. Orc sorcerers are humanoids. Dryads are not, but they are a "creature with humanoid physiology" which is a term used occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    It's a power limiter, like enlarge person has.
    Yeah, but it's a level 6 spell with no higher level counterpart to expand it to other creature types. It doesn't let you target the weaker familiar saves (it explicitly gives both targets a save) and damage splitting is a bit... underwhelming given how little direct punishment most familiars can take. This looks to be a fluffy spell that isn't actually all that powerful, unless there's some combo I'm missing.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, but it's a level 6 spell with no higher level counterpart to expand it to other creature types.
    There isn't a spell that can enlarge non-humanoids either.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    There isn't a spell that can enlarge non-humanoids either.
    Yes there is it's...

...huh, look at that. I could have sworn there was. The point stands that it seems a somewhat arbitrary restriction.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Yes there is it's...

...huh, look at that. I could have sworn there was. The point stands that it seems a somewhat arbitrary restriction.
    Righteous Might. It's self-only though.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Righteous Might. It's self-only though.
    OK, What I meant is that there is no more versatile higher level spell like with charm person and charm monster. Righteous might does quite a few things besides enlarging the target.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

One more for the "All players are Medium Humanoids" pile I guess.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but it's a level 6 spell with no higher level counterpart to expand it to other creature types. It doesn't let you target the weaker familiar saves (it explicitly gives both targets a save) and damage splitting is a bit... underwhelming given how little direct punishment most familiars can take. This looks to be a fluffy spell that isn't actually all that powerful, unless there's some combo I'm missing.
    Casting Delay Death on the familiar beforehand, maybe?

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

In any event, a spell being weak for its level isn't a dysfunction.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Weapon Graft (Fiend Folio) and Graft Weapon are both share similar dysfunction:
    Quote Originally Posted by Weapon Graft
    However, it cannot use the hand with the graft for anything but combat, and it takes a –2 penalty on all skill checks requiring the use of hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graft Weapon
    While your hand is grafted to a weapon, you lose the use of that hand and take a -2 penalty on all skill checks requiring the use of hands.
    While it's completely understandable for most weapons, I can't see how exactly grafting a Gauntlet (or Poison Ring) can cause so much penalties

Also, note: neither graft, nor psionic power forbid you to graft the actual natural weapon to the hand

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    In any event, a spell being weak for its level isn't a dysfunction.
    Mm, wasn't arguing that part was, just wondering about the reasoning behind it.