1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default "From nobody to nightmare."

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." ~Jean de La Fontaine

The Vulariter

There comes a time in everyone's life when their destiny is set into stone. Sometimes a blacksmith's apprentice is destined to surpass his master and sell his trade. Sometimes a peasant is destined to remain a peasant. But sometimes a catalyst sets different, unexpected, events into motion. The farmer destined to toil his life away on the farm has his home stolen from him, and swears revenge. The blacksmith's beloved is stolen from him, and he decides to tear the world apart to get her back. Sometimes a Commoner's life is changed irrevocably; by one event. One catalyst, and they go down a different path entirely. The path of a hero... or something darker. [more to be added]

Hit Die: d10
    Skill Points: 6 + Intelligence Modifier
    Class Skills: -
    Proficiencies: Vulariters are proficient with all simple weapons, as well as light armor and shields.

Lv BAB FORT REF WILL SPECIAL MYTHOS EXCELLENCIES
    1 +0 +2 +2 +2 Exceptional Mythos,
    Mythos Known, The Common
    Mythos, A Commoner's Excellence, Path to Greatness
    +2 +1
    2 +1 +3 +3 +3 +0 +1
    3 +2 +3 +3 +3 +1 +0
    4 +3 +4 +4 +4 +0 +1
    5 +3 +4 +4 +4 +1 +0
    6 +4 +5 +5 +5 +0 +1
    7 +5 +5 +5 +5 Fantastic Mythos +1 +1
    8 +6/+1 +6 +6 +6 +0 +1
    9 +6/+1 +6 +6 +6 +1 +0
    10 +7/+2 +7 +7 +7 +0 +1
    11 +8/+3 +7 +7 +7 +1 +0
    12 +9/+4 +8 +8 +8 +0 +1
    13 +9/+4 +8 +8 +8 Legendary Mythos +1 +1
    14 +10/+5 +9 +9 +9 +0 +1
    15 +11/+6/+1 +9 +9 +9 +1 +0
    16 +12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +10 +0 +1
    17 +12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +10 +1 +0
    18 +13/+8/+3 +11 +11 +11 +0 +1
    19 +14/+9/+4 +11 +11 +11 Exalted Mythos +1 +1
    20 +15/+10/+5 +12 +12 +12 +1 +1

The Common Mythos: A Vulariter's power is expressed in terms of one or more "Mythos", the building blocks of the legend that they are, and the stories that they have told and will tell. While any given Mythos varies from the rest, they share some similar traits. They are always Extraordinary abilities, and when they reference a difficulty class for an imposed saving throw, that saving throw is always calculated as (10 + 1/2 class level + Charisma modifier, unless otherwise stated). When a Mythos references a "level" that is not clearly defined in some other way, such as "character level", it refers to "class level" as in the number of levels one has in the Vulariter class. When a Mythos references "allies", it specifically does not refer to the Vulariter using it. When a Mythos grants a feat as a bonus feat, it is regardless of whether the character meets the prerequisites for that feat (unless otherwise stated), and if the character already possesses that feat (in some permanent fashion - via the normal allotment gained by leveling up, or through another Mythos, and so on, but not those gained temporarily, such as via a "Heroics" spell), they must replace the prior instance of that feat with another feat that they qualify for. When a Mythos refers to a "weapon" being wielded by the Vulariter, unless otherwise noted, it does not apply to unarmed attacks, natural weapons, or improvised weapons.

Every Mythos has a Tier. The Tier of a Mythos ranges from 1 to 4, typically referred to as Exceptional, Fantastic, Legendary, and Exalted. Exceptional Mythos tell the story of warriors that rise above the common people to do great deeds, whether for good or ill. Where others tire, they endure. Where others are turned aside, they advance. Where others die, they kill. A Vulariter with Fantastic Mythos is a being told of in poems and campfire stories. Monster-Hunter, Dragon-Slayer; When no mere men can stand before them, they seek out and slay the creatures that lurk at the edges of the map, and beyond. Legendary Mythos encapsulate the most outlandish fighting men - they engage armies as equals, stare down giants and demons, and draw lines in the sand to which the forces of nature dare not trespass. Where the Exalted Vulariter walks, the indestructible is cut, the peerless are defeated, the unstoppable fall. When death comes for them, it is death who dies, as they crawl from the depths of Hades with the strength of their arms and their strength of their hearts, for no dark god has forged a shackle that can bind the valor of a true warrior.

Some Mythos, in addition to their initial stated effect, have Basic and Advanced manifestations. When a Vulariter gains access to a Mythos with a list of Basic manifestations, they may choose one such manifestation, and they gain that benefit immediately as well. This choice may not be changed later. When a Vulariter gains access to a Mythos with a list of Advanced manifestations, they may choose one such manifestation, and they gain that benefit upon achieving their next level of Vulariter. This choice may be changed at any point before receiving the chosen manifestation itself, but not after (choosing beforehand is just an easy way to mark it down on your character sheet so you don't forget that you'll be getting something later).

Mythos Known: A 1st level Vulariter begins play with two Exceptional Mythos that he qualifies for if this is his first level in a PC character class. At higher levels, he gains additional Mythos as noted on the Vulariter class table.

For characters that multiclass into Vulariter after having taken levels in another PC character class, the 1st level of Vulariter grants only a single Exceptional Mythos, rather than two.

A Vulariter also has the ability to learn more Mythos, above the ones automatically allotted to him by leveling up. [more fluff]

By spending 1,000 Mythos Points, and 250xp, he may learn an Exceptional Mythos. A Fantastic Mythos requires 5,000 Mythos Points and 500xp. A Legendary Mythos takes 10,000 Mythos Points, and 1,000xp. And an Exalted Mythos takes 20,000 Mythos Points and 2,000xp.

For half the listed price for a given Tier, a Vulariter may learn a Basic or Advanced manifestation of a Mythos they already know of that Tier.

Learning Mythos above the standard amount requires astounding, nearly single-minded devotion to the story of the Vulariter. One may only utilize this ability while more than half of his effective character level (ECL) is devoted to levels in the Vulariter class.

A Commoner's Excellence: As denoted on their class table, a Vulariter gains a certain number of abilities known as "Excellencies". These tend to be more general, generic, and passive than a Mythos, but are useful nonetheless, and are drawn from their own separate list, unsegregated by Tiers. Like a Mythos, a Vulariter may learn more Excellencies above their allotted amount. Each one costs 1,000 Mythos Points and 100xp, plus an additional 1,000 Mythos Points and 100xp for each time a new Excellency is innovated beyond the first. (So, 2,000mp and 200xp for the second, 3,000mp and 300xp for the third, etc.)

Path to Greatness: A Vulariter is either incredibly lucky, skilled, or in the favor of a higher being. Whichever it is, they have an edge over others.

A first level Vulariter may roll any save twice and take the better result. Any action they take which requires someone else to take a save results in the target rolling twice and taking the worse result.

A third level Vulariter now automatically confirms any critical, without needing to make a second roll. They may also declare any attack roll a critical hit, but not an automatic hit. They may do this a number of times per day equal to their class level divided by four, to a minimum of one.

A fifth level Vulariter gains their charisma modifier as a luck bonus to both their AC and to-hit.

A seventh level Vulariter

A tenth level Vulariter [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ZaneShadow; 2016-01-16 at 02:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Mythic Commoner

Vulariter Exceptional Mythos

Spoiler
    Show

Base

Chickens. Thousands of them.
    Prerquisite: -
    -You gain the Chicken Infested feat and the Quick Draw feat for free.
    Advanced: Always a Chicken. It is now a 100% chance that you will draw a chicken
    Advanced: That's Not A Chicken, THIS Is A Chicken. As a full round action, you can choose to pull a Dire Chicken out of... somewhere.
    Basic: An Extra Chicken. You can now choose to activate the effect of the Chicken Infested feat twice with one draw
    Basic: An Optional Chicken. You can choose whether or not to activate the Chicken Infested feat
    _
    Head Thumpin'
    -You gain Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff), Two-Weapon Fighting, and Skill Focus: Craft (Woodworking) as Bonus Feats
    Advanced: Edge Wielder. You gain Improved and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting as Bonus Feats
    Advanced: Wood Genocide. Craft free quarterstaves out of any wood, instantly
    Basic:
    _
    Hay Whisperer
    -You gain the ability to use Charm Animal at will... but only on farm animals. You gain Animal Affinity as a Bonus Feat.
    Advanced: Feral Whisperer. You can now use this ability on non-farm animals three times per day.
    Advanced: Hay Commander. You can now choose to use Dominate Animal instead of Charm Animal
    Basic: Hay Talker. You can use Speak With Animals at will.
    Basic:
    _
    Fighter
    Prerquisite: -Fighter
    -You gain the Soldier feat (DMG2), (skills), and Medium Armor Proficiency.
    Advanced: Bonus Feats. You gain two Fighter Bonus Feats
    Basic:
    _
    Rogue
    Prerquisite: -Rogue
    -You gain the Criminal feat (DMG2), Hide and Move Silently as Class Skills, and +1d6 sneak attack damage.
    _

Last edited by ZaneShadow; 2016-01-28 at 03:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Reserved for future use]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Also reserved for future use]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Yet again reserved for future use]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Final reserved post]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Someone who's been trained in acrobatics and combat since childhood, a half-god, and one of the most powerful Force-sensitives in history qualify as "commoners"? Is this supposed to represent leaving their homely origins behind? Not that being a demigod is homely by any stretch of the imagination.

That aside, a minor quibble on the thread name--mythic classes have [Class name] "Awesome quote" as the title of the thread. I may be mistaken, but I believe "Mythic [Name]" is only used for feats.

You should probably get the fluff up before continuing with the crunch. It's hard to judge a class if you don't understand its feel and what it's mean to be, and the fluff is crucial for that.
    My Homebrew:
    3 Elemental Feats
    Vgilmat, the race of little giants (with accompanying archetypes and feats)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonjek View Post
    Someone who's been trained in acrobatics and combat since childhood, a half-god, and one of the most powerful Force-sensitives in history qualify as "commoners"? Is this supposed to represent leaving their homely origins behind? Not that being a demigod is homely by any stretch of the imagination.

That aside, a minor quibble on the thread name--mythic classes have [Class name] "Awesome quote" as the title of the thread. I may be mistaken, but I believe "Mythic [Name]" is only used for feats.

You should probably get the fluff up before continuing with the crunch. It's hard to judge a class if you don't understand its feel and what it's mean to be, and the fluff is crucial for that.
    Reminder that its a Mythic Commoner, if it was in any sense common. They would just well, be a commoner but as a mythos " Is this supposed to represent leaving their homely origins behind?" plays a bigger part I think. All these characters spent a very large part of their formative years away from anything powerful, I think hercules might be the only exception due to being unnaturally strong but compared to what he becomes its fine.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Reminds me a bit of the Mythic Fool I was working on a while back. Called it the Avontos. I've still got some of my old notes on it's fluff if you'd like it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

When I saw "mythic commoner" I was thinking of something somewhat paradoxical with the concept of "mythic"... a character somehow able to weather any storm, but at the same time locked into never strongly influencing events and DEFINITELY never taking center stage except in very specific "lower deck episode"/"lets see the drama of one of the people just trying to avoid being incidentally stepped on by Godzilla"* sorts of circumstances.

*I think the movie "Cloverfield" might have worked this way? Maybe also the more recent "War of the Worlds" movie? Not sure...
    Running: Ruceeglaelsktinag IC OOC Map
    My Dream Campaign: IC OOC Map
    For everything else (including my extensive homebrew) see: Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: "From nobody to nightmare."

The Commoner part is more about the origins than anything.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Origins as in "level 1"? 2?

You probably mean "before level 1".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Both. I plan to add a feature that lets you trade Commoner levels for levels of this, but most people probably won't use it. The class isn't exactly meant to be the story of a normal Commoner, but of a Commoner that became something greater.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneShadow View Post
    Both. I plan to add a feature that lets you trade Commoner levels for levels of this, but most people probably won't use it. The class isn't exactly meant to be the story of a normal Commoner, but of a Commoner that became something greater.
    Okay. I just wanted to make sure you had that clear in your own mind.

The trading in of commoner levels is a very nice touch. There was a class a while back called "The Unfledged" I do believe is relevant background research for this. I Googled it and there seem to be at least two different versions.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...4&postcount=41
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...dged-3-5-class

And three ACFs:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...s-Features-3-5
    Spoiler
    Show
    A third level Vulariter now automatically confirms any critical, without needing to make a second roll. They may also declare any attack roll a critical hit, but not an automatic hit. They may do this a number of times per day equal to their class level divided by four, to a minimum of one.

I assume the per-day limitation is only for the second option here?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2016-01-16 at 06:52 PM.