New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Adventures

Butch

"We do need a tracker, sir. So long as our orders don't conflict, this should work out well. However, he knows nothing of the original agreement about spreading word of the downed ship. That unfortunately means that the word is out and we won't be alone."

Turning from Cecil to Caskin.

"You say your orders are coming in the morning? How soon? We need to make best use of daylight tomorrow lest we get caught in the showers or benighted by the mountains themselves."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Caskin

"As I said, just after dawn by special messenger. Unfortunately, that's well before the time I prefer to drag myself out of bed, but I don't have much choice," he confesses.

"Well then, I suppose unless you'd care to get a head start on discussing the actual task before my orders arrive to assuage any lingering suspicions, I might as well see if I can track down something that should be far simpler to find."

Caskin rises, accepts his papers from Cecil, stuffs them back into his pack and hops fairly deftly over the counter to the other side.

"Cassa! Have you gotten yourself stuck in the dredge flue again?" he calls out shaking his head in wonder.

Turning back to you, he shrugs and says, "I should have her here in a few minutes or so. Think of something to eat while I'm gone, eh? If you care to eat something other than rations, that is."

With that, he disappears around a corner leaving you to ponder the situation free of his presence.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"I have no objection to House T. having better relations with Lyrander... so long as I have an opportunity to build good relations with both houses myself," Cecil says to his ground as Caskin leaves. "And besides, what's best for Breland is best for the Houses in any event."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

4. - Top - End - #304

Butch

"Aye, its for the better anyways. We couldn't make enough progress tonight to justify the time it would take to break camp. I hope the weather breaks by morning. It should, but we'll probably catch some afternoon showers, the Graywalls are catching the lake effect clouds. If we're lucky we'll catch some southerly winds to keep the rains north of the lake. But we can't count on it. Anyway, we'll need to move quickly, taking advantage of the daylight. I think we can get within sight of the mountains by tomorrow evening, given good weather. I'd like to set up camp either on a ridge or the mountain face of the foothills so we can get a broad view of the range. Then we can take advantage of the darkness by keeping a fire going or using a sunrod as a beacon. If there are survivors, and they are capable, they can signal back with their own fire. We can then cover and reveal the fire in a pattern to make sure they are responding to us."

Butch then looks over to Wrench. "How about you, Wrench? Have any suggestions for finding survivors or maybe even the downed ship? Maybe a magic elemental compass that points towards strong magic? That would be awesome!"

5. - Top - End - #305

Wrench

"I'll consider that Plan B. But my first choice would be to ask the locals who probably saw it go down to lead us to the location. And I've got just the tool for that."

He holds up his inkpen.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-07 at 07:53 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"Wrench, I don't even know what it is, but I like the plan already. Do you need help?"

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by MandibleBones View Post
    Cecil

"Wrench, I don't even know what it is, but I like the plan already. Do you need help?"
    Wrench

"Yes. I may need help finding a local. And some bread or nuts would be useful.

My first thought is to find a bird, who is most likely to have seen the crash and noted where it went down. Then, I'll use this device to talk to the bird, and ask them to lead us to the crash site.

Bread and nuts will help to put us in favor with the animal. If we can't a find a bird, then some other forest creature who lives in the trees would work to at least point us in the right direction. A grounded animal likely won't be much help.

That is my plan."
    The Tangled Web

8. - Top - End - #308

Butch

Butch tentatively raises his hand, almost as if knowing that it will only result in a blow to his already weakened sense of reality. "Umm... problem... Birds can't write? How's this bird supposed to write down the location of the crash when it doesn't have hands?"

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    Butch

Butch tentatively raises his hand, almost as if knowing that it will only result in a blow to his already weakened sense of reality. "Umm... problem... Birds can't write? How's this bird supposed to write down the location of the crash when it doesn't have hands?"
    Wrench

"The bird isn't going to write the directions. It will tell me, verbally."
    The Tangled Web

10. - Top - End - #310

Butch

Butch looks confused. "Oh. I didn't know you understood birdcalls. But, what is the pen for? Are you going to stab the bird with it so it doesn't fly off?"

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Threshkor

Looking a little amazed at the warforged, Threshkor turns to Butch.

"I believe that he has a way of being able to translate, what the bird is saying when it chirps. I myself have seen this happen with my superiors."
    Incredible Avatar done expertly By Simius
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Bleach Sigatar done by Magioth.
    Amazing Falzar Avvy by thecrimsonmage.

12. - Top - End - #312

Caskin

Caskin reappears after several minutes, laden with a few plates of bread, cheese, and cured meat, which he rather haphazardly places on the counter.

With a look of amused irritation on his face, he states, "This is how silly women can be. She didn't want to come out and deal with us because last night she somehow managed to splash an entire well of ink on her face and arms and it's left her with rather unsightly stains. I mean, is that really enough to spurn your guests?" He shakes his head to answer his own question. "Shameful. Anyway, I found something to eat that didn't require cooking," and here he raises his voice and turns his head to speak over his shoulder, "ALL FREE OF CHARGE!" There was an odd sound from somewhere around the back corner that just might have been a stifled string of curses. "And we can take along whatever we don't eat now. Should travel well."

Caskin shrugs, and sifts around behind the counter, eventually producing a stack of plates, a large jug of warm ale, and enough mugs to go around. "I guess that's it, then." He tears off a healthy chunk of bread and cheese and stacks them on a plate before filling a mug and retaking his earlier seat and beginning to eat.

Around a mouthful of food, he says, "Go ahead. Take what you want. The bill's covered, and Cassa wouldn't like it if you left hungry, even if she is," again, he raises his voice in the direction of the back area, "hideously and permanently disfigured!" Another sound, this time identifiably a faint distressed yelp is followed by a bout of laughter from Caskin. Shaking his head, he continues to eat, his chuckling at the absurdity of the situation slowly fading with each chew.

13. - Top - End - #313

Morning comes quicker than any expect. The rider Caskin mentioned must have made good time or didn't realize that he was supposed to arrive after dawn because it was still dark when the papers were delivered to a waking Cecil. The set of papers is nearly identical to the contract the others signed at greywall, with a few minor changes and a different signator. Having delivered the message the man departs with little fanfare and leaves the group to begin it's preparations for the journey to the Greywalls.

14. - Top - End - #314

Wrench

Wrench spends the night completing the crafts he had started back in Orcbone, and adds them to his inventory. As the group begins waking, he is already moving about, sorting packs and equipment, and making sure everything is ready to move.
    The Tangled Web

15. - Top - End - #315

Butch

Butch was up early, carefully arranging the packs by weight and inspecting the saddles. When the rider arrived, he woke the horses and began feeding and watering them. He walked each one around the stables to assess its capacity and demeanor. Humming a tune from back on the farm he diligently saddles and bridles the horses loading the spare equipment into saddlebags. Ready for travel, Butch leads the horses out to the water trough outside, reigning them to the hitching posts.

As he enters, he sees Cecil reviewing the papers and nods in acceptance. He nods to Wrench on the way to Threshkor. "Wake up, brother Threshkor. You're missing the glory of the Host." He whispers, shaking Threshkor lightly.

Remembering what Caskin said last night about being a late sleeper, Butch approached him slowly. Kneeling down he whispered sweetly into Caskin's ear, "Wake up, wake up, my husband's at the door!"

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

Threshkor

Waking up after Butch shaking him slightly he straightens himself out and starts to stretch.

"Morning Butch. Have you got anything for our breakfest prepared?"
    Incredible Avatar done expertly By Simius
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Bleach Sigatar done by Magioth.
    Amazing Falzar Avvy by thecrimsonmage.

17. - Top - End - #317

Butch

"There's still some cheese and bread left over from last night. I was going to take some and enjoy the sunrise."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

Cecil finishes reviewing the papers. "I'm ready to go as soon as we're all on our feet, Mr. Butch," he says. "How has the rest of our little party fared this night?" he asks, chuckling over Caskin's waking.

19. - Top - End - #319

Caskin

Being a waystation rather than an inn, it wasn't the most comfortable sleeping accomodations to be had in the region. Draped across two chairs, Caskin snored lightly, his head resting on the back of one hand. He was dreaming about something abstract, but Butch's whispered words called up a memory.

He woke with a start, eyes still closed, and rolled off the chairs onto the floor with his feet and legs lamely jerking in a mockery of running. His eyes popped open a moment later and he instinctively tried to jump to his feet, whacking his head against the underside of the table, instead.

Managing to work himself out from beneath the table, with a hand rubbing at the sore spot on his head, he blinks a few times to clear the sleep from his eyes.

"Fek! What a horrible dream. I don't know why I can't seem to remember not to eat cheese just before going to sleep."

He finally seems to notice the rest of you, and the pre-dawn dimness through the window. "What are you all doing up so early? And what am I doing up so early?" He yawns cavernously.

20. - Top - End - #320

Wrench

"We are leaving. You should get ready."

Note to self: It seems that this 'sleeping' business causes temporary brain damage. Probably caused by lack of oxygen from that 'snoring' thing they do. However, it seems to fade after the flow of oxygen has been restored. Quite unusual.
    The Tangled Web

21. - Top - End - #321

Butch

"All troops accounted for, sir. The horses are prepared and well watered. Might I suggest joining Brother Threshkor and myself to greet the morning sun. We have some cheese and bread left over from last night."

Outside, as the sun peaks over the horizon, Butch ruminates about the trip.

"I reckon Mr. Caskin should lead the way. He's from a tracking house and we don't want to ruin any tracks we might come across. He should have some survival training too, that will help keeping us from getting lost. Mr. Cecil can be well protected in the middle of our squad with Wrench nearby. Brother Threshkor can follow up while I patrol the line assisting anyone having trouble with their horse."

"Well, the sun is up, we should take advantage of the good weather and light and push hard with the fresh horses. I suspect we'll have rain again this afternoon and we should make camp as soon as the clouds start to gather."

22. - Top - End - #322

Caskin

Caskin's face contorts into an unflattering grimace when he realizes the time and that it means moving out. One of the several reasons he never fit the mold of a man of service; too many inconveniences. He performs a half-shrug, half-stretch in an attempt to un-knot certain muscles.

Still half-dazed, a coherent thought gradually forms in his head. "I guess my papers came early, eh? How wonderful." His smirk makes it all too clear that he considers an early delivery only as an evil plot to deny him more sleep.

With a dopey, half-asleep sour face, he shakes out some of the cobwebs while checking his bag for contents and straightening himself out as much as possible. Which wasn't much--he remained a fright of wrinkles and his outer clothing was definitely in need of laundering.

He aborts a motion toward one of the wands snugly fitted into his belt, shrugging instead and saying, "Meh. I guess it doesn't matter. Going to get worse anyway."

The mess known as Caskin Iaro grumpily heads outside into the early sun, squinting tightly and grumbling.

When Butch recommends him to take the lead and qualifies the decision, Caskin partly stifles a chuckle.

Through a one-eyed squint, he confesses, "Nope, nope. I'm afraid I'm not that well associated with such things. I might be able to track myself through the woods, but that's about it. I'm afraid my purpose at this particular moment is fairly narrowly confined to expediting the acquisition of the documents and the pilot. That I can manage better than you, but otherwise, I'd gauge we're about on par."

23. - Top - End - #323

Butch

Butch sighs heavily, rubbing his temples. "Wonderful! We're heading out into the wilderness and nobody has any survival skills?"
    Last edited by Citizen Joe; 2007-08-11 at 05:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Wrench

"It can't be that difficult, can it? We aren't going to be staying long anyways. You worry too much, Butch."
    The Tangled Web

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"I think we'll manage just fine, Butch. We have so far."

26. - Top - End - #326

The morning sun begins to burn away any leftover pools of water from the previous night's rain as the group travels away from the waystation. The Greywalls loom ever larger in the distance, low hanging clouds shielding the peaks from view. The horses from the stable are fresh and willing to travel, but after riding a magebread horse it is hard to go back and not miss what those animals had to offer. Azmirith takes the lead, keeping watch for any ambushes with his keen eyes and ears. Butch rides up and down the line, helping riders to better understand their mounts as needed.

The group pauses briefly for lunch, mindful of the pressing nature of their mission. Even so, members are tasked to keep a vigilant lookout as the others eat in shifts in case there were any assailants ready to attack. No such attack occurs, perhaps because of those efforts, perhaps not. After hastily eating their rations the group takes off once again heading for the mountains, now close enough to see distinct lines forming along the range and highlighting the peaks and valleys. The clouds still linger about the mountain tops, but they are still white with little threat of rain.

As the sun begins to reach lower in the western sky you reach the rising foothills of the Greaywall Mountains. You gather you belongings from the backs of the horses and send them on their way back to the waystation. Looking at the height and breadth of the mountains you begin to realize the monumental nature of this task. You have a small idea of where you suspect the airship to be, but from your vantage point there is no obvious wreckage sight anywhere to be seen.

27. - Top - End - #327

EDIT: ERK! Ninja'd
    Butch

Butch mutters something quietly, "Famous last words..."

He ponders a moment before speaking. "Very well, The Host shall guide us. I'll lead. I want Brother Threshkor nearby for a little divine guidance. Then a ten pace gap followed by Mr. Cecil and Wrench. Mr. Caskin, you'll be following up at the rear. Keep five paces back so that the horses don't get too crowded."

He nods in satisfaction. "I've selected all your horses and checked their saddles. I've carefully balanced the weights so I don't want to hear any complaints about Wrench and myself carrying a lighter load. We're both significantly heavier than the rest of you so your horses are carrying the extra weight. No sense having one horse move faster than the rest. We've got good weather and I intend to make the most of it. We'll press hard from the start and ease off as the horses get fatigued. I'll be looking for trails and hazards on the ground. If any of you have trouble with your horse, speak up and I'll fall back to assist. I need the rest of you to watch out for other dangers and keep an eye on the sky. If the clouds are moving north, we should be fine. If they start coming south or southwest, basically towards the mountains, we'll be in for a nasty evening as they build up on the Graywalls. Hopefully we can find some shelter before rain starts, but we need the camp struck before the rain starts. It will be too dangerous to travel the hills in the rain and we would likely get lost."

Butch holds his hand out to the rising sun, fingers parallel to the horizon. "OK we got one finger above the horizon. I want everyone saddled up and moving by four fingers."

Spoiler
    Show
    When the sun is one hand (4 fingers) above the horizon, that's about one hour from sunset/sunrise. Giving Threshkor enough time to prepare his spells. I'm assuming he's been quiet because he's been praying all this time.
    Last edited by Citizen Joe; 2007-08-11 at 09:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328

Wrench

Wrench approaches Cecil at the foothills. "Sir, are we going to continue farther today, or make camp shortly?

If we are going to continue, I'll start looking for a target for my spell. Otherwise, it would be best to wait until morning."
    The Tangled Web

29. - Top - End - #329

Butch

"OK. Let's hoof it to the far side of one of these ridges. We'll want a clear view of the mountains. Set camp, get a fire going and hope the survivors see the smoke. We can use a sunrod tonight as well, for signaling. If we're lucky, the survivors can signal back."

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"I agree, Butch. We need to make it as far as we can before we set up camp - and we need to set up camp a fair distance from where we use those sunrods unless we want more visitors in the night, I think," he says.

"Wrench, go ahead an look for your small animal once we get a little closer."