New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Adventures

Threshkor

Not quite sure of Butch's signal, he gives Butch an awkward look.
    Incredible Avatar done expertly By Simius
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Bleach Sigatar done by Magioth.
    Amazing Falzar Avvy by thecrimsonmage.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wrench

Wrench replies to Caskin "I'm afraid not. The little fellow only called them 'Uglies'. When I tried to get more information, he flew off."
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

3. - Top - End - #453

Butch

"It's a camp song, Brother Threshkor. You add a little bit with each round and then pass it on to the next person. When somebody forgets a detail they lose." Butch sighs again. "I'll grant you that it's not as good as some of your religious hymns, but it helps to pass the time while out in the fields."

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Caskin

Arms akimbo, Caskin nods to Wrench, a bit disappointed. He breathes deeply and exhales in a rush, saying, "Well, it'd be better to know what's down there now rather than later, but since that's not going to happen, I'll plan on a bit of reconnaisance when we get close enough to pick out some activity. At that point, I can get to higher ground without much trouble, and get a better view of the situation." It goes against his prior demeanor, but he almost appears to be growing serious.

He adjusts the weight of his pack, clearly not thrilled with lugging it through the mountains. "Uglies, eh? Probably some strain of Droaamite, I'd guess. Even a bird would probably mention if we looked like the uglies. I guess we'll find out soon enough."

Squinting as he looks around at the ridges that form the pass, he refocuses and continues trudging along. His crossbow appears in his left hand at some point along the path.

5. - Top - End - #455

Wrench

"He did ask if I was one of them. Perhaps they are warforged? Although I would hardly call my race ugly."
    The Tangled Web

6. - Top - End - #456

Caskin

He remarks while keeping his eyes forward, "Then unless we assume the bird is too stupid to recognize the difference between bipeds and others, I suppose we at least do have a clue about what to expect. That's better than nothing."

Caskin then looks at Wrench for a moment, and says, "No, your kind are not ugly. Artistic, I think. Like sculptures." He pauses a few moments longer as if contemplating something regarding his own words, then just resumes marching without further comment.

7. - Top - End - #457

Wrench

Wrench does not smile from the compliment. But then, he doesn't really have the ability to smile. Its a more humanoid gesture. But those who are familiar with warforged body language can tell that Wrench is pleased by Caskin's words.

"Hmm... Well, I have a hard time telling humans apart sometimes. And trying to figure out the difference between elves, humans, and Kalashtar is a real challenge. And I still don't know how you can tell a halfling from a gnome. For a bird, its probably even harder."
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-09-09 at 12:34 PM.
    The Tangled Web

8. - Top - End - #458

Caskin

Caskin chuckles, and says, "Perhaps your unique perspective is something the rest of us could learn from."

Just then, another briar scratches Caskin's boots eliciting a muffled expletive. Orcish, most likely. "I wish these bushes would leave me alone. Y'know, I once met a man from the Eldeen area that could wave his arms and make all the plants ahead, behind and to the sides of him shy away. None of this business of covering your legs with those fuzzy sticking things, or clumps of pollen; not to mention ticks and unsavory things of that sort. Beyond the damage to my clothing, I also rather dislike being the medium for sex between plants."

9. - Top - End - #459

Butch

"Oh, I know that magic trick, Mr. Caskin. Hold on... Abracadabra." Butch chants, swinging his scythe to clear away the underbrush.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Orc in the Playground

Threshkor

Threshkor gets a laugh at Butch's wonderful attempt at "magic".
    Incredible Avatar done expertly By Simius
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Bleach Sigatar done by Magioth.
    Amazing Falzar Avvy by thecrimsonmage.

11. - Top - End - #461

Butch

Butch chuckles and then squints at the edge of his scythe. Grumbling at a small nick he says, "Looks like its one time per day outside the fields. Wrench, add a self sharpening and plant bane features to that weapon request of mine."

He ponders a moment and then addresses Cecil. "Sir, we could hack our way there, and then have an easy path back, but it would certainly point right at us if the 'uglies' have patrols. I think we still need to get an overhead view of the terrain. Either a tall tree or higher up the mountain back there. We haven't gotten too far so we haven't lost much time. But we'll need to do it soon before we lose the daylight."

12. - Top - End - #462

Wrench

"I got the impression that the uglies are located inside the valley. not outside. But I could be mistaken there, since my information does come from a bird.

Perhaps when we crest this ridge, we should do recon. We will probably be able to see the crash site from there, and then, we can see the lay of the entire valley. If we are really lucky, we will be able to pick out the location of the 'ugly' camps, and avoid them entirely."

Wrench takes the blade from Butch and begins to sharpen in. He scrapes the length of the blade along his own thumb in lew of a whetstone. Within a few moments, he's got the blade worked back to its original sharpness. He then hands it back to Butch.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-09-10 at 02:50 PM.
    The Tangled Web

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"I agree, Wrench. Let's do that."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

14. - Top - End - #464
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith

Up to this point, Azmirith seemed very detached, focusing mainly on the surroundings when the bird was speaking, and continuing to do so. Here, however, he speaks up. "Cecil, Recon is one of my specialties. I will go quickly ahead and find out what is going on, and what these 'uglies' are. I will return shortly.

With that he begins to start forward, but realizing the concern that his companions must consider, once he reaches the front, he looks back and says" Dont worry Butch, I will be fine. I can handle myself."

Spoiler
    Show

with better movement then the rest, I should be able to scout ahead easily. I believe that, becasue of wrench, threshkor and Butch, the group is moving at 20ft, I can move sixty, and will move as quickly as possible.
    Sweet Cap. America Avi by KPenguin

15. - Top - End - #465

Butch

"Azzy! Wait. We don't know if we're miles away or just over that ridge. First, we need an overview. From there we can plan our close recon." Butch calls to Azmirith.

16. - Top - End - #466

Wrench

"Let him go, Butch. He's most qualified for the job. He can tell us whether we are miles away or not. And one person scouting is a lot harder to catch than a group.

Although, I suppose I could make him quieter, or easier to hide. But that shouldn't be necessary. Do you think it would help, Azmirith?

Azmirith?"
    Wrench looks around, but it seems the ninja has already dissapeared?
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-09-10 at 03:39 PM.
    The Tangled Web

17. - Top - End - #467

Butch hangs his head low. "It's not that I'm worried about him, or doubt his competence. It's just that we didn't arrange for a regrouping or the direction we're traveling or anything. Now we'll have to wait here until he returns."

18. - Top - End - #468

Wrench

"We are traveling in a straight line. He can easily find us again."
    The Tangled Web

19. - Top - End - #469

Butch

"Wrench... Have you ever tried to shoot an arrow out of the sky? They travel straighter than our path and nearly impossible to hit. We have two fixed points and a vast unknown area between them. We all know we will eventually end up at the wreck. But we all know we are currently here. Everything in between is a shot in the dark... literally. I know for a fact that he doesn't have more than half a day's rations and water. I packed them myself this morning. He doesn't have enough light or supplies to make it to the wreck. That means he'll have to meet us here or risk getting lost."

Butch looks to Cecil with a frustrated expression. "Sir, as I see it, we have three options. One, press on blind. I've got a good bearing on those peaks over there, but we don't know the range. We can make the most progress this way. Two, we find high ground to get a range to the valley. We'll lose some time to the searching, but we'll have some information. Three, we make camp and wait for Azzy to return. We could probably send out a scout to get a range once camp is made as well. We'll lose the rest of the progress today, but we'll be able to regroup with Azzy... hopefully."

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

The man shakes his head. "I'm afraid a compromise is in order - let's continue forward toward the ridge. We'll stop when we get there and wait for Azimirath. No doubt he'll be able to find us there."

He exhales. "We cannot afford to lose any more progress - the crew's lives may depend on it if they still live."

21. - Top - End - #471

Wrench

"Butch, I don't understand your concern. He isn't trying to make it to the wreck ahead of us. He is going to scout ahead, and report back.

Azmirith will progress faster than us, along the same path we are currently on. We will continue on the same path following him. When he finds something worth reporting, or he gets to the ridge, he will wait for us to catch up, or double back and meet us to report his findings. We lose no forward progress, but we gain advance information.

That is how a forward scout usually works. At least in my experience."
    The Tangled Web

22. - Top - End - #472

Butch

Butch presses forward towards the ridge. "That's just it, Wrench. We're not ON a path. I've just been headed for that spot on the mountains over yonder. See that second peak over yonder? Follow it down the ridge line where that shadow crosses that brownish area... I think it's a landslide. Our mark is two thumbs left of that. Or at least that's the direction the bird was heading. This ridge is off our mark, but it is a recognizable feature and we need to see what is beyond it."

Butch swings his scythe to clear some brush as he continues to make his way to the ridge. "I'm sorry, Wrench. I know I must sound like I worry too much, but I just like to know what's going on. Make a plan and stick to it, because other people are counting on you. I'm just glad Mr. Cecil is here to make those hard decisions."

23. - Top - End - #473

{OOC: WTF? Do you have access to some secret map that I don't?}
    The Tangled Web

24. - Top - End - #474

Caskin

At Butch's scything display, Caskin comments with a grin, "Iiii'm not quite sure that's how he did it, but I suppose there are alternative methods."

~*~

"When we get nearer to the ridge, I'll hit the tallest tree and get some perspective. By the way," he turns to Wrench, "You make all sorts of stuff, eh? Can you make something like a wand that holds a simple spell like light or detect magic? If so, what sort of coin would you normally get for such a thing? I mean, theoretically. I don't have much on me at the moment," he asks with a somewhat sheepish expression.

25. - Top - End - #475

Wrench

"Are you looking for a permanent light source? Would you prefer an Everbright Lantern, or a Everburning Torch, or a different coldfire item?

The Lantern is 212 Galifars to purchase, and the most expensive, I believe. I'm sure I can craft it for much less, but I need a place to work on it for a day or two.

For a Torch, or a different item with coldfire, I would need the item, and some Ruby Dust... about 50 Galifars worth... And then I could just emulate the spell.

Then there are sunrods. Much cheaper, but not permanent.

I can create temporary light sources on the fly out of any object, but the effect only last for a few minutes.

As for Detect Magic, as long as I can study an item for a minute, I can usually detect if its magical or not, just by reading its energy signature."
    At this point, Wrench starts rambling off on the details of how magical signatures work. Most likely, Cecil understands what Wrench is talking about but others are just lost. Its unlikely that anyone, even Cecil, is interested.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-09-11 at 10:58 AM.
    The Tangled Web

26. - Top - End - #476

The group is making progress across the mountainous terrain, moving quickly in the cool shadows of the peaks. The mountains are now rising higher with the group having to carefully maneuver along small paths around rocks and shrubs. There are two main ranges to either side of you, creating a small valley. Before too long you come across a deep gash in the earth. The chasm spreads out like a snake before you, cutting in front before continuing on towards the mountains on your left. As the group follows the crevice, it is difficult to make out the bottom since the walls are so steep and narrow and the plants growing into the side of walls further hinder vision to the bottom.

The chasm cuts towards the left mountain and then splits into two directions, one going into the mountain range on the left, and the other continuing on down the valley. Amirith approaches the group and motions for them to follow him along the chasm to the left. As you round the mountain you see the chasm open up a bit wider with a network of rocks and tunnels finally ending in a deep opening. The chasm splits the side of the mountain, making it difficult to get around the edge untill it reaches the opening on the other side of the pass. Caskin is able to scale the mountainous walls to get a better look into the gash. What he can make out through the growth is definite signs of the wreckage in the opening. Amirith mentions that he was unable to spot any definitive signs of the Uglies, but he has heard some animalistic sounds from down in the valley, as well as some noises that could be associated with fighting. He has also managed to find a small switchback that must have been used by miners to get down into the chasm.

To help explain the terrain:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bottom gives an idea of how you approached the chasm and the valley you are traveling in. The top left shows the split in the chasm going around the mountain, the the top right gives an idea of the wider chasm from a top view. Disclaimer: This pic is for ease of explination ONLY. Don't be pulling it out later saying it doesn't match up with what I describe.

27. - Top - End - #477

Wrench

"We should be able to make good use of that climbing gear now. Shall we start exploring the wreck, or should we investigate the fighting first? If the fighting involves the crew, we may be able to assist them. If its not, then it just wastes our time."

He looks to Cecil for the decision.
    The Tangled Web

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

Cecil doesn't waste a second. "The fighting," he says, already unstrapping his sword. "But let's not rush into it yelling and screaming; I want to know what we're up against."

29. - Top - End - #479

Butch

"Let's plan this out. Looks like we could take the switchback down or use ropes. Eventually we'll need to leave, and I suspect there will be uglies on our heels. This switchback looks like a good choke point. If we could lure the uglies onto the path, we could drop rocks on them. Possibly blocking the pass. Remember that we need at least eight hours head start. We'll have at least a four day run ahead of us to get back to safety. Any suggestions?"

30. - Top - End - #480

Wrench

Wrench says to Cecil, "Sir, I've got 3 infusions left. I plan to use one on myself for offensive power, unless you have a better purpose. I can use the other two to enhance weapon or armor. The armor will last for 2 hours. The weapon only for a couple of minutes. Or I can give armor a special ability that lasts 20 minutes, as I was offering to give to Azmirith earlier. Glamour, Shadow, Move Silent, or Light Fortification."

As an afterthought he adds "Perhaps we would know which choice is better with more ifnormation. Azmirith, can you scout out the fighting sounds and find out what exactly is going on?"
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-09-11 at 12:38 PM.
    The Tangled Web