New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Adventures

Wrench

During one point of the work, Wrench casts an infusion to enhance his skill at mining. (Skill Enhancing Item) Then Wrench continues trying to harvest a shard which he can truly claim as his own.

However, even with the proper tools and an infusion enhancing his skill, he finds he is unable to harvest a shard. Disheartened, Wrench will slog back through the lava to rejoin his companions. He returns the tools back where he got them, and reports to Sesil "I'm sorry, Sir. I've failed at my attempt to harvest a shard for our own use."

Profession Miner - (1d20+5)[15] DC 20
    If failed, but over 14, use AP
    AP - (1d6)[2]

Edit: Add +4 competence for infusion to enhance my profession skill, and +2 for the tools circumstance bonus. = success!!! woot!!!

Edit2: um, nevermind. Not success... I had the wrong initial modifier.
    Roll 10 - 2WIS +4Competence +2 circumstance = 14. Not using an AP to try and succeed, so failure, hard core.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-03-12 at 01:30 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Sesil

Sesil begins to clap Wrench on the back, then pulls his hand back gingerly, remembering where the warforged just was.

"It happens to the best of us, Wrench. There will be more shards later on - perhaps we can barter with the Tharaskh for one if we end up needing them. Now, let's start looking for another exit."

He looks at everyone else. "Preferably in pairs - I don't want anyone getting surprised and ambushed by another unsuspected creature."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

3. - Top - End - #903

{OOC: Is fester still with us? If so....}

Wrench

"I'll go with the gnome. I'd like to get to know him a little better."

Wrench approaches their diminutive companion. "Shall we do a little exploring then?"
    The Tangled Web

4. - Top - End - #904
    Halfling in the Playground

(ooc: yes, been busy)
    Johann

"Why yes, I would be delighted to share your company, warforged."
    Last edited by Fester; 2008-03-12 at 07:14 PM.
    All kinds of no

5. - Top - End - #905

Wrench

Wrench offers a handshake to Johann. "My name is Wrench."

Wrench starts walking towards the southern end of the cavern. "I want to apologize for Butch. I hope his behavior lately hasn't left you with a poor impression of us. He means well. He just doesn't understand about how some things work in this world. He comes from a simple background, and hasn't had much experience with things of a magical nature.

Of course, he's never turned violent about it before...

So, tell me about yourself. Where are you from? What are your interests?"
    The Tangled Web

6. - Top - End - #906
    Barbarian in the Playground

The gnome and warforged make their way to the southern side of the great cavern. There is a large indention of rock into the cavern in between the lava river and the pool of lava that is accumulating on the floor. Across the lava river, on the southwest side of the cavern is what appears to be another entreance into the cavern from a different direction.

While that pair is off exploring the southern side of the cavern, Azmirith and Caskin will head out to explore the area above the ledge on the eastern side of the cavern, leaving Butch and Sesil in the camp for now.

7. - Top - End - #907

Butch

Butch looks about the cavern, scooping up some gravel from the ground and letting it fall through his fingers, then gazing upwards. He then raises and eyebrow and shakes his head at Sesil. "Sir, this just doesn't feel right. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about mining, 'ceptin what I've heard around town. I mean sure, I've used a pick to dig rocks out of the field every spring, but going right into the rock like this... No sir. But still... Here, let me tell you a little story while the others secure this cavern..."

He flipped his scythe about in a gesturing manner as he started his story. "I was raised on a farm a bit north of Shavalant, close to Silver Lake. Actually, it was closer to a horse ranch than farm. But we still needed to plow the fields to help the War effort. I lost two brothers in the fighting, but I was still too young to enlist so I couldn't do anything about it. When Pa passed in his sleep, Ma had to rely on me to do most of the work on the farm. I did my best to train the horses for the cavalry but they all got sent off to fight. So that just left me there to till the fields by hand."

He flexed his well muscled body, "It's good for the body, but all that time in the field gives you lots of time to think. With Sissy off studying in Sharn, I had lots to think about with her letters home. So, ya, I had lots to think about while I tilled the fields."

He wiped some sweat from his forehead and tried to work his way back to his point. "OK, so, I know about horses... and horses need shoes right? Well that meant heading into town to the blacksmith. That was pretty neat. He heated up the iron until it was glowing hot and then bent it into a horseshoe. I even saw him pouring molten steel into a casting to make some nails. Talk about hot. He had me stoke the fire once... gah... I almost choked to death on the smoke... and the sparks... oh my... Some sparks landed near, not in, but NEAR some hay. It started smoldering and it would have started a fire if we didn't dump that bucket of water on it right away. Ya, I wasn't allowed to help anymore after that."

Butch sucked on his teeth a moment before continuing. "So that left me with some spare time to take up my other hobby... eating. During the harvest festival, the local bakery makes these delicious blueberry pies. I had a chance to help out one day. Opening that oven just about knocked me off my feet with the blast of heat coming out of it."

Butch gave Sesil a slight nod. "You're not seein' it are ya? This whole cavern should be an oven. And that 'lava' over there should be as hot as molten steel. We should be exploding into flames. But we're not. By the Host, Wrench just waded right through it. But it ain't more uncomfortable than a hot summer day in here. This dirt... it ain't right neither... Them bridges over there... not one but TWO! Ya, that ain't natural. I mean look up. You can't tell me there ain't nothin' wrong with that."

8. - Top - End - #908

Wrench

Wrench makes some smalltalk with the gnome, listening politely and with interest if/when Johann chooses to speak.

When the discovery of the new passage way is made, Wrench tries to get an idea of where the path leads. Most importantly, whether it slopes up towards the surface, or further down into the depths.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-03-16 at 11:56 AM.
    The Tangled Web

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Sesil

Sesil is polishing his falchion and trying to work out the lock on the cannithbox.

"I'll be the first to admit that it's odd," he says, "But who knows how the planes and the pit interact? It could be some odd conjunction with the land of fire, or just the natural magic of Eberron's treacherous sister below us. There's magic everywhere in the world, Butch, and it's no more unnatural than your pie oven."

He continues studying the cannithbox. His voice hasn't lost the haunted quality from Threshkor's death yet, but it sounds like he's trying to ignore it at present.

"On a related note, pie sounds rather good right now."

10. - Top - End - #910

Butch

Butch raises an eyebrow and then continues the metaphor, "So then you don't mind that WE are the pies?"

Butch tried to look serious and then his stomach grumbled. "Dammit! Now I'm hungry for pie!"

With a sigh and a grumble, he continues. "Sir, I know we've got magic throughout the world. But there's magic and then there's twisting and contorting the very laws of existence to your whim. And that is just the start. Our mission is to get that box back to Orcbone... maybe Mr. Johann too... I bet we could get pie if we brought him back... mmm.... pie... But that's not the point. We are just getting more and more questions and nobody is bothering to even ask them. I would say we know exactly zero about what happened, but I think we've got false information so we're actually in the negatives. I mean, you'd think that existence unmaking itself before our eyes might be cause for at least a passing comment. For all we know, that may actually be a river of cherry pie filling flowing past... mmm... pie..."

11. - Top - End - #911

Wrench

Wrench will lead the way back to camp. Upon seeing Sesil, he'll say "Sir! I believe I've found another way out. There is a passage to the south that leads up."
    The Tangled Web

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Sesil

"Good work, Wrench. Any hostiles?"

13. - Top - End - #913

Wrench

Turns his head to look at Butch, although he speaks to Sesil. "No, Sir. No one has tried to attack me since leaving the mining camp."
    The Tangled Web

14. - Top - End - #914

Butch

"Umm... which way is south now? I got really turned around in those tunnels. Are you talking about that opening across the lava behind those columns?" Butch points across the lava river to the opening on the far wall. "I suspect the shadows fled that way when they saw you trying to destroy the shards. I may have scared them off with my arrow too. If we use the tents, we can seal off that entry tunnel well enough that all the fumes have to go out that one chimney. It will probably have a more dramatic effect on our torches so we'll be able to follow the flickering flame out to fresh air."

15. - Top - End - #915

Caskin an Azmirith return from the eastern passage and report that the tunnel seems to head further into the depths. Azmirith mentions that he thought he heard some movement, so they headed back as quickly and quietly as they could. Caskin gathers a few things from the camp, the box with the dragonshards being among them and looks to the others. "So, we ready to head out of here the way Wrench found, or are we headed back the way we came?"

16. - Top - End - #916

Wrench

"What about the bodies? Should we leave them? I don't think we have time to bury them, but should we cremate them in the lava?"
    The Tangled Web

17. - Top - End - #917

Butch

"Alright, let's finish searching these bodies. Find their travel papers and identification. Then gather up any personal belongings, family heirlooms and such. Then get a lock of hair from each as a memento for their families. Mr. Sesil and Mr. Caskin can verify the documents. Mr. Johann, make yourself useful and make note of their cause of death, date, etc. Wrench, your wonderpack has the firewood in it. Help me construct a pyre. Destruction of the corpse is not the point of the ceremony. We need to respect their souls. That means a proper pyre. If you need to sate your desire for destruction, those creatures that attacked us at the entrance still need to be disposed of. Mr. Sesil... Mr. Caskin... You're both representing your Houses here. Bringing back a corpse will severely hamper us. However, if you deem it necessary to your Houses, we could probably arrange something. Just weigh our risks in your assessment."

18. - Top - End - #918

Wrench

Wrench's voice takes on a tint of anger, which is very rare for the artificer. Fortunately it fades away quickly. "Just because I don't face the threat of death from age doesn't mean I think it requires destruction.

However, I still think that we need to be expedient, and it would be quicker to place the bodies in the lava than dig a grave, or construct a pyre. It would also consume less of our limited resources. But if you still deem it necessary to be respectful to the dead, so be it."

Wrench will assist with building a pyre, if its still requested.
    The Tangled Web

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Sesil

"I'm no chaplain, but I think the lava should make a fine pyre, Butch, if we are careful to pay our proper respects first. While you're gathering their things, see if you can't find some indication of their faith, if any... if not, the Host shall have to suffice."

He proceeds to help prepare the bodies for cremation as best he knows how, murmuring a silent prayer to Aureon and the Host as he does.

20. - Top - End - #920

Butch

"Perhaps you did not notice the bubbling nature of the lava. And the splashy nature of dropping corpses into a liquid. I would like to consider my health a resource that I'm not willing to expend when there is a perfectly good pile of wood to use. Besides, you can carry more loot in your wonderpack if we empty all that firewood, Wrench."

Butch then sets to building his pyre from the firewood, placing the corpses on the pile of wood as they are searched.

21. - Top - End - #921

Wrench

Wrench will leave the haversack with Butch for the moment. As the bodies are looted, he'll carry them over to the nearest bridge and drop them, with as much respect as he can, into the lava. If he can do this while Butch is distracted with building a pyre from firewood, all the better.

If the laws of physics hold true, he will be in no danger from lava splash as long as he's the one dropping the body, and he will make sure no one is near before he releases. If for some reason, the laws of physics don't work in his favor, he'll probably get a single point of splash damage per body, and fix it with an infusion later. If, against all odds, he takes excessive damage from some errant splash on the first body, he'll not drop another.

Finally, he'll take his haversack back, without any wood in it, and say "You're right, Butch. I can carry much more gear without that useless wood taking up space."
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-03-20 at 09:16 PM.
    The Tangled Web

22. - Top - End - #922

Butch easily notices Wrench taking the body over to the bridge, even while he is still in the process of building the pyre. Caskin also notices and makes the comment, "Better hurry up Wrench, or he's liable to get he bow again."

23. - Top - End - #923

Butch

Busy with constructing the pyre, Butch doesn't seem to notice the corpses going over the bridge. As the last corpse goes into the lava he calls out. "OK, the pyre is finished. Bring the bodies... Now, which one was the House member we were taking back for the reward? And has anyone seen my keys?"

24. - Top - End - #924

Wrench

"No one said anything about taking a corpse back. In fact, I believe you yourself said that it would be a burden, Mr. Butch.

Sir, I'm ready when you are."
    The last part is directed to Sesil.

At some point, he will head over to Caskin and say "Mr. Caskin, do you think it would be ok if I were to look at one of the shards your people have collected while we head back to the surface? I won't keep it; I would just like the chance to examine one while I can."
    The Tangled Web

25. - Top - End - #925

Butch

"Wow, Wrench, you don't listen to anyone do you? Mr. Caskin said that his House would reward us for the safe return of the dragon marked body. Oh well, it can't be THAT much harder to just use the lock of hair rather than a whole body, right Mr. Sesil?"

Butch then presents the stack of identification papers, heirlooms and locks of hair to Caskin. "On behalf of the village of Shavalant and the Nation of Breland, I extend our gravest regret to your House's loss. Take comfort in knowing that they died furthering the interest of you House." Butch gives Caskin a salute and then turns back to the tents.

"Let's tally up our equipment and supplies before we head out."

Spoiler
    Show

I believe we have about 2 days worth of rations left. Not sure how much we found in camp.
    We lost all our rope back on the cliff. I'd like as much rope as we can find/carry.
    We used up a couple blankets to make ropes, I'd like to replace those.
    We want some mining equipment like picks and things. Butch has his shovel still.
    I'd like to make sure our waterskins are full and everyone drain then first to offset all the heat in the cavern.
    Torches or candles... something to make smoke so we can follow the flow. I'm assuming someone can produce magical light. If there are sunrods in the camp we'll take those too.

[spoiler

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Sesil

"As I've said before, a light source shouldn't be a problem for us. How is our water situation doing?"
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2008-03-21 at 01:53 PM. Reason: I'm blue in this game, not red. My bad.

27. - Top - End - #927

Wrench

Wrench stays quiet for a moment as he thinks back, then says "I didn't notice any of the bodies having dragonmarks, but I wasn't looking for them. Mr. Caskin, you didn't happen to save the marked body, did you?

If not, I'm very sorry for forgetting to save that one."
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-03-21 at 02:23 PM.
    The Tangled Web

28. - Top - End - #928

Butch

"Good point, Mr. Sesil. Back on the farm during summer we had a couple people go down from the heat every week. Mom always brought some fruit drinks when we were at the close fields, but otherwise it was just water from the collection barrels. Dammit... now I'm thirsty... and I want pie!"

29. - Top - End - #929

Caskin did indeed save the dragonmarked body in the off chance he was of major importance. Perhaps the reigning members of the house could extraxct se information from the corpse.

The group starts to take the sthern exit from the chamber. An hour orso after they left the chamber they come to a high wall, about 100 feet or more high that has a narrow opening in it. I takes nearly the rest of the day for the group to travel the opening with all of their equipment and gear intact. There isa space just above the opening that looks like an adequet place to camp.

30. - Top - End - #930

{OOC: I'm afraid I need to be gone for the week. Put me on drool rule or someone can control me if needed. Cya this weekend.}
    The Tangled Web