Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 948
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Asmodeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Quote Originally Posted by MandibleBones View Post
    Cecil

    Cecil shakes his head. "As good as a home-cooked meal sounds to me," he says, "We've been hired to get these horses to Orcbone today. Bandits they might understand, but delaying half a day for a home-cooked meal would not go well with them. We press on."
    Wrench

    "Not to be going against orders, Sir, but a rest would give me more time to tend to the wounded.

    Of course, I could always do that once we reach Orcbone."
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-06-26 at 08:44 AM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

    A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Citizen Joe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch

    Butch furrows his brow. "Sir! You AGREED that we would stop at the first opportunity. The horses need water and although they don't look it now, by the end of the day when we are pushing to reach shelter they will be their weakest. Our men are still badly injured and we are low on supplies. As it is, we won't get in to Orcbone until after dark, and by then nobody will be doing business. So, if we're there late tonight or lunch time tomorrow business won't be done until tomorrow regardless. That is assuming we DO make it there tonight. We're making good time right now, but that high sun on the waters of Silver Lake will bring rain storms which will grind us to a halt."

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MandibleBones's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Cecil

    "Wrench, if it were up to me, or if the wounded were in such dire straits that we could not risk moving them, I'd stop in a heart beat - and don't ever be afraid to voice a suggestion. I don't know everything, and even if I did I wouldn't think of it all at once."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Nadeem

    Leaning a bit in the saddle Nadeem looks up at his companions.

    There is something to what Wrench is saying. If we continue to travel and don't arrive before nightfall we risk yet another ambush. Two attacks on the caravan is more than enough reason for being late in our delivery. That and sitting upright is somewhat of a challenge at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.
    CRPG Rules: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Citizen Joe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch

    A sly grin crawls across Butch's face as he replies to Cecil, "So you're saying that if someone suddenly fell out of the saddle and broke their leg, we could spend the night and have a home cooked meal?"

    Butch then repositions his horse just to the side of Nadeem...

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Nadeem

    Sliding his gaze to Butch Nadeem waits a moment before speaking in a cold tone.

    Perhaps, but pushing a wounded ally from their saddle could merit certain, uncomfortable, consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.
    CRPG Rules: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MandibleBones's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Cecil

    Cecil smiles thinly. "Butch, if you'd like to volunteer to fall out of the saddle, you're more than welcome to. Alright, let's stop and ask these kind folks for water - but then we WILL need to push on. If you're right and we risk another ambush tonight, I'd rather risk an ambush as we're making it into Orcbone than risk one that might bring harm to these folk here."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Asmodeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Quote Originally Posted by MandibleBones View Post
    Cecil

    "Wrench, if it were up to me, or if the wounded were in such dire straits that we could not risk moving them, I'd stop in a heart beat - and don't ever be afraid to voice a suggestion. I don't know everything, and even if I did I wouldn't think of it all at once."
    Wrench

    In his lack of wisdom, Wrench focuses on only a single thing said by Cecil. "Begging your pardon, Mr. Cecil. I thought it was up to you. If I may ask, who is the commanding officer of our squad, if not yourself?"

    As with many things, Wrench seems to be unable to consider things outside of the military structures which he was trained with.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-06-26 at 06:33 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

    A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MandibleBones's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Cecil

    Cecil is patient. "I am, Wrench, but there's people above us we've all got to answer to, even me - and while I might make the day-to-day decisions, I have to justify every decision I make to them."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Asmodeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Wrench

    Wrench looks up to the sky. "Hmm. I always thought you were working for House Orien. Not House Lyrandar. Oh well."

    Wrench starts heading towards the farmhouse.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

    A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Citizen Joe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch

    Butch chuckles at Nadeem with a big silly grin. "I was just kidding. I wouldn't sell out a friend for a home cooked meal."

    When he heard Cecil's comment about asking for water, Butch had already brought his horse around and launched into a full gallop. Only a small dust cloud lingered by the time Cecil got out the words about pressing on afterwards.

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MandibleBones's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Cecil

    Cecil laughs. "It's not a mission I'm used to either, to be sure - usually the people I'm guiding are, well, people - able to take care of themselves. I'm a guide, not a babysitter."

    He looks off into the dust cloud where Butch was. "I hope he's quick about this."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch and Wrench (and any others who wish to follow) ride off down the trail towards the ranch. Its a pleasant ride, and the hoses manage to cover the ground quickly. The gate leading to the house proper is open and as the riders near the home, a well built and tanned human man comes out of the house wearing soiled work clothes and a wide hat to keep his face shaded from the sun. "Can I help yall with something? I'm Kuven and your riding on my land."

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Asmodeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    Butch and Wrench (and any others who wish to follow) ride off down the trail towards the ranch. Its a pleasant ride, and the hoses manage to cover the ground quickly. The gate leading to the house proper is open and as the riders near the home, a well built and tanned human man comes out of the house wearing soiled work clothes and a wide hat to keep his face shaded from the sun. "Can I help yall with something? I'm Kuven and your riding on my land."
    Wrench

    Wrench raises a hand in salute to the farmer. "Hail, Kuven. My name is Wrench. My companion is Butch. We were passing through when we saw your farmhouse.

    We don't mean to trespass, but we were hoping you could spare some water for our horses."


    {OOC: If I hear one protocol droid crack, someone's getting a flaming fist in the face.}
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-06-27 at 01:20 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

    A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Citizen Joe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch

    Butch nods are grins widely. It looks like he wants to say something but patiently waits for Kuven's reply.

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    The man nods as Wrench explains thier request. "Well, there's a trough behind the barn. There should be enough water left in it for your horses. Course, there also a stream about half an hour or so on up the road. You'll pass old Regin's place and then maybe a mile after that look off to yer right and you can see where there's a small creekbed. I know your kind don't eat Wrench, but if your friend's hungry my family just sat down to lunch. Too hot to work at this time a day. Why don't ya come in and take a break. Maybe tell us what brings you around these part."

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Asmodeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    The man nods as Wrench explains thier request. "Well, there's a trough behind the barn. There should be enough water left in it for your horses. Course, there also a stream about half an hour or so on up the road. You'll pass old Regin's place and then maybe a mile after that look off to yer right and you can see where there's a small creekbed. I know your kind don't eat Wrench, but if your friend's hungry my family just sat down to lunch. Too hot to work at this time a day. Why don't ya come in and take a break. Maybe tell us what brings you around these part."
    Wrench

    Wrench looks to Butch, wondering if he's interested in the offer.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

    A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Citizen Joe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch

    Butch's smile spreads almost incontrollably at the thought of lunch. "Sir, you are indeed a godsend. I would very much enjoy a meal with you and your family. And, if you're willing to extend that hospitality a bit further, I could definitely make it worth your while. You see, my boss wants to press on to Orcbone, and I just KNOW its gonna end badly. And your place is very conveniently located between Shavalant and Orcbone... I was wondering if you could maybe discuss with him the possibility of maybe setting up your place as an official waypoint for an Orien trade route? I know, I know... You don't want strangers traipsing across your land like that. But its just that... well... I dunno if you noticed, sir, but after the War, work's been drying up in these parts. I grew up on a farm, much like this a little north of Shavalant. During the War we kept busy keeping the grain flowing and breeding mounts for the war effort. I was still too young to fight, but I did my part as a loyal Brelander. Well, sir, the War's over and now all our soldiers are coming home but we ain't got no jobs for them. The money's dried up and they ain't got but fighting skills. I'm seein' them take up banditry, sir. It's a crying shame to see our boys having to resort to that sort of thing... in fact we had to put down a few of them just yesterday. You know how it feels when you know you gotta put down that mare cuz she broke a leg, or gots a disease. It hurts inside but you knows you gotta do it or the whole farm be in danger."

    Butch sighs and then gathers his thoughts. "Sir, I'm asking you... Could you talk to Sir Cecil about extending a Trade Road out past these parts... Maybe talk about making a way station with the local ranchers. It would give our boys good decent work, but Mr. Cecil is a city slicker and he probably don't understand what its like out here. I'd be very willing to do your chores for the rest of the day if that's how long it would take. And if the discussion goes long, so be it. Don't let him hurry you, we can head out in the early morning and still make it to Orcbone in a reasonable time tomorrow."

    Butch then dismounts and offer the Kuven his hand. "I'd be very appreciative of your help, sir." Shaking Kuven's hand, Butch winks. "VERY appreciative."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Butch slips a small handful of gold (5 gp) to Kuven as he shakes his hand.

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Kuven listens to Butch's speach with a stoic face weatherd by years in the sun. The shadow cast by his hat make it hard to read the man. He shakes his head as he hears stories about bandits and spits in the the dirt. After he shakes Butch's hand he smiles and says, "Well, I'm not too keen on having the mighty houses tell me what to do, but it can't hurt to listen. How many you got with you son? I got enough extra food on the table for one, even your size, but any more and I'll have to get some more ready."

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Citizen Joe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch

    Butch ponders a moment, "We got three other mouths to feed, plus a prisoner... but he can dine on trail mix. We got eight horses total. They're magebred too, real sweet ride. I bet if you sweet talk Mr. Cecil you could convince him to let your ride one. I'll go get the others. Thank you very much, sir."

    Butch then brings his horse about and gallops back to the group. "Sir, its all set. We can water the horses and there's an offer for lunch. The owner is named Kuven. I mentioned you were Orien and he'd like to talk to you about a trade road going through here."

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Asmodeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Wrench

    "Sir, I believe you are mistaken. I know of several spells that cause significant damage, if you listen to them." Wrench offers, helpfully.

    He dismounts and looks around, taking in whatever natural or man-made defenses the farm has available, more out of force of habit than anything else. He also takes not of the general state of repair (or disrepair) of the buildings and other structures.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-06-27 at 08:26 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

    A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MandibleBones's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Cecil

    Cecil meets Butch half-way, having approached the door himself after tying the horses. He very much does not look like a knight, merely an old soldier too long on the road, but his honest smile keeps him friendly-looking. "What am I being sweet-talked into this time, Butch?" he asks.
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2007-06-27 at 08:40 PM.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    KCiemir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the Desert
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Azmirith
    Silently watching from the shadows, Azmirith speaks at last, a wisper, but loud enough to be heard by all.
    Thank you Kuven, for your offer. But if you do not have enough food, simply a warm hearth would suffice. we will make it to Orcbone tommorow, and can refresh our supplies there.
    Sweet Cap. America Avi by KPenguin

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Kuven ignores the comments from the warforged. He has pretty much ignored Wrench since after he spoke. He leaves Wrench to his activities and heads back into the house when Butch leaves. The farm is in pretty good shape, but there are signs of stress on the barn and some fences. Weither that was due to it's closeness to the border during the war, or just wear and tear from animals is hard to determine. The farmhouse itself is a two story building with windows that could be used as elevated firing positions coving the main path down to the house. The land is pretty clear in the surrounding area, so visibility isn't a problem except for an approach that used the barn for cover. If anything, that is the one flaw that Wrench can see.

    Butch explains the situation to Cecil as the rest of the group heads back to the farmhouse. Butch sees to caring for the animals as the rest head into the house and the cool shade it provides. As they enter, they can see that the house is well kept and nicely decorated. A few girls are cleaning off the table as a woman is scrubbing the used dishes to clean them for the guests. Kuven greets the group as they enter and extends his hand towards Cecil. "I guess your Cecil. Please come in. I'm Kuven, and this is my wife Ilanna. Please have a seat."

    As Nadeem and Azmirith enter, Kuven sees their wounds. "Looks like your friend wasn't kidding about the bandits. Sugar, why don't you go get some fresh bandages and some hot water for these folk here" The eldest girl runs off to the back of the house in search of her father's request. As she does, Kuven starts to prepare some meat, bread, and cheese for each of the group. He sets each plate down at the table while Ilanna brings some water for each person. Kuven then sits down at the head of the table and looks at Cecil. "So, I hear your looking to start a trade route for the mighty house Orien? I'll tell you up front that I'm not too keen on the idea of letting other people trample all over my grounds. I guess what I'm saying is that if I am to even consider doing this it had better be well worth my while. Understand?""

    While Kuven is talking, his daughter returns and approaches Azmirith. "Sir, If I may?" She says as she starts to replace his bandages with fresh ones. She then will ask Nedeem the same question before tending to him.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Asmodeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Wrench

    Wrench, left to his own devices, apparently, heads over to the barn to investigate it in more detail. He's curious about the damage, and hopes to determine the cause. Additionally, he'll see what sort of repairs are needed most badly.

    Knowledge Architecture - (1d20+7)[17]
    Modifiers: +3 Ranks, +2 INT (Actual total should be 15, not 17)
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-06-29 at 12:33 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

    A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    The barn looks like it has one wall that has been partially replaced on the side facing the edge of the ranch. It looks as if a hole was created in the wall and shored up quickly with whatever wood was around. The wall looks functional, but it lacks the structural integrity it should have if it were crafted as a whole unit. Replacing entire the wall would be difficult due to the fact that it is a load bearing wall, so the fact that the repair is somewhat patchwork is understandable.

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MandibleBones's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Cecil

    Cecil shakes the man's hand warmly. "Tell you what, Mr. Kuven. You give me proposal of what you think is fair, and I'll take it to my superiors. You've my word, on my honor, that I won't cheat you - and any man here can witness that if you like. If they don't like your terms, no harm done - if they do, then you're compensated fairly for your trouble and House Orien gains as well. It's entirely up to you - I'd rather my house grew in power through honesty and fair dealings than by cheating anyone."

    He looks around. "You have a lovely home, by the way, and a fine family." He's speaking as honestly as he can, more relieved at having an excuse to rest his wounded men than actually concerned with gaining a trade route, but telling the truth nevertheless.
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2007-06-29 at 05:19 PM.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    KCiemir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the Desert
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Azmirith
    Throughout this time in Kuven's house, Azmirith keeps his traveling cloak on, except when the girl changes his bandages, but even then, he keeps his face covered. As the young girl finishes changing the dressings, he turns, and saysThank you, friend. That will be much better for the road to Orcbone. Then, turning to Kuven, he asks in his usuall whispery voice, that remains audible, Kuven, this is a very nice family, and as you would be having us for food, I feel that it is only proper that I introduce myself. I am Azmirith, of the Goldblood clan. I travel now to aide Cecil. Please, introduce your family.
    Sweet Cap. America Avi by KPenguin

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Citizen Joe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch

    After tending to the animals, Butch walks the fence line inspecting it and looking for loose posts and rails. As he reaches the gate, he makes sure its secure before returning to the house. "Well Mr. Kuven, you got a nice farm here. The fence is in pretty..." Butch stammers and his mouth hangs agape for a moment. Then he quickly retreats outside and hurries to the barn.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Citizen Joe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eberron Adventures

    Butch

    Closing the door to the barn behind him, Butch closes his eyes and breathes deeply several times. As he regains his composure, he paces about in the barn for a bit and then goes to the packs. Digging through the equipment, he pulls out some jerky and nibbles away. Continuing to pace, he eventually keeps himself busy by tending to his weapons and chainmail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •