Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [IC I] The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa

The Lord of Mantas Presents
    A Pathfinder Tabletop RPG Cosmic Horror Adventure

THE WELLSPRING SAGA

AURORA TENEBROSA

The church teaches us that we were the very first civilization to walk upon the face of Eldin. According to their legends, the three Aspects, the three pure beings of Order, Balance, and Change, lifted man out of the grime and muck of our once-barren world, and created for - and through - them a garden where they could live in safety and harmony. From once impotent and hunched-over apes, little better than animals, they were granted a special boon: The ability to call upon the very cosmic winds from which they shaped the universe, and exert it to control the land. This spark of the divine, this 'divine magic', allowed us to carve out a lush paradise on this planet, safeguarded by their two draconic servants, Titan and Leviathan. But then, the unthinkable happened. All over the world, nine chasms opened, and horrible monsters emerged, the denizens of another dimension known simple as Hell. An army of monstrous, slavering beasts called daemons, led by their more sophisticated but no less malevolent cousins devils, threatened to cover Eldin, and even the magic of the Aspects - and the arrival of the hosts of heaven - could do naught but contain them.

But one day, a man named Ulftyr made a great discovery - that we were not the first to walk the planet.

A race of beings, long since lost to history and time, had left behind a great power - the power of Arcana. Like divine magic, it too harnessed the cosmic winds, but the powers it bestowed upon its bearers were unlike anything that had been seen before. Using this power, Ulftyr rallied an army of hundreds of thousands, and in a great campaign sealed the foul aberrations of Hell back within their fiery domain. With this gift from the denizens of the first world, we drove back the armies of hell, and consolidated our power and prosperity. Thus began the Age of Arcana, where magic and technology advanced by leaps and bounds.

But it was all a ruse.

The flames of war have rekindled themselves, and destruction waits at our doorstep once again. Hideous abberations, creatures that can drive men mad, now wander the streets, devouring and shattering everywhere they step. Men cower, waiting for the time to strike them down - only to be ambushed by their brothers, the Heralds of the coming destruction. It has always been the promise of another day on this earth - in the Wellspring of civilization - that has lifted our hearts, but daylight will never come – only an endless night, and dreams of happiness long past. Men struggle together, keeping the faith that one day the sun may rise once more.

It is a dark dawn that arises. And I fear we will not live to see the light - for that is the fate of those who succumb to its madness.

Yes, indeed... The abberations - the Eldest of those who ever walked the earth - warp and twist men to serve their whims. And those who will not bend? They are tossed away - where they will rot in the bowels of the earth itself.

...this is your fate.

Chapter 1
    Reborn in Darkness

Pain. A deep, dull, ache. And the restriction of countless, thousands, millions of sticky strings, binding you like so many restraints, can't breathe, can't move-!

Spoiler: Sanity Attack
    Show
    A Shocking Event happens to you!

Vs Aldric: 7
    Vs Calantha: 12
    Vs Juno: 9
    Vs Octavia: 12
    Vs Snorri: 19
    - Sanity Damage: 1
    Vs Amala: 4
    Vs Henrietta: 6

The seven brave people who had been at the site of Ulftyr's betrayal - Aldric, Calantha, Juno, "Octavia", Snorri, Amala, and Henrietta - all awoke to this singular feeling. Despite the terror and shock, each and every one of them - save, perhaps, Snorri, who could not help but briefly succumb to an ever-so-brief panic - was able to bring themselves under control, and all of them attempted to observe their surroundings as best they could.

Aldric, Calantha, Juno, Snorri, and Octavia

Their outsider heritage shining through, five of the intrepid seven were able to see what was happening - a single eye (or, in Octavia's particularly lucky case, two) uncovered by whatever it was that was binding them.

A quick observation revealed that they appeared to be in some sort of cave, a single column of large stone over which they were suspended standing alone in a deep, dark chasm. The five realized that they were suspended in what appeared to be a large cocoon-like structure of natural silk, much like what would be made by a giant spider - and that, including themselves, there were seven of them in the room. They were all arranged in a semicircle, each cocoon no more than 10 feet or so from the edge of the 80-foot-wide column.

A small walkway of stone led from the column to a tunnel going into the solid rock wall of the cave, and a small outcropping offered a natural shelter in the middle. Beneath it, a small pit of what appeared to be natural mud and muck lay, a glass bottle nestled between two rocks.

Feeling the cold biting through whatever was binding them, and its stickiness against their skin, the five realized, to their shock, that they had neither their possessions nor any form of clothing upon their persons.

Spoiler: Aldric, Calantha, Juno, and Octavia
    Show
    You see one of the 'cocoons' shake, and what sounds like panicked breathing noises coming from within.

Amala and Henrietta

It was pitch black, and Amala and Henrietta - independently of each other - could not help but recall that one radio show they'd heard once upon a time about creatures that lurked in dark places and ate people who didn't have torches. Grons? Glues? Something along those lines. Regardless, neither the Custos Pacem member nor the Third Eye Choir Member could see anything, their eyes unable to penetrate the inky blackness. Feeling the cold biting through whatever was binding them, and its stickiness against their skin, the two realized, to their shock, that they had neither their possessions nor any form of clothing upon their persons.

Through the darkness, they heard a brief shaky breath, as if someone nearby was shivering in fear.

Spoiler: OOC - Everyone
    Show
    Remember that game introduction I always said I wanted to use? This is it - with a few minor modifications.

You now gain the benefits of leveling up to Level 4. If you are a spontaneous caster, you may now use any spells you would gain after a night's rest; if you are a prepared caster, however, you may not.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-03-26 at 05:07 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Henrietta

Tossing, turning, Henrietta awoke to find herself surrounded and enwraptured in a tight confining material. Sweat dripping off all over her body as she worked herself into a short panic what with her vision being obscured as well. Kicking, the enshrouding material flew off of her and flooded her with faint candle light leaking from the hallways and twilight shining through the windows. Sitting up she was met with the vision of her new room in Adam Jokson's home, or as she had tried to accustom herself to saying, her father's home. Peering through the dim light, she saw the outline of the retired Officer's grizzled form in the doorway, peering in and observing her.

"Don't worry my child, everything's alright. It was just a nightmare."

She blinked, the light of years past disappearing from sight as darkness claimed her and the world itself constricted around her. Breathing haggardly, she clenched her eyes shut and grit her teeth, clenching every muscle in her body as she adjusted herself to the restricting environment she found herself in. Wordlessly, she opened her dull grey eyes and gazed out into the abyss she was floating in, and with a growl eminating from the deepest most savage corners of her body she began to push and tear at the material wrapping around her. After a few moments of continued struggling, she realized her labored breathes were not alone, and with a restrained and composed tone belying her current predicament she spoke out at the darkness.

"Is anyone there? Are you hurt? Stay still, I'm coming."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Strength test to break free:(1d20+5)[17]

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

The paladin was still processing the scene at the carnival. The monsters, the attempt at blasphemous godhood, that... awful... smell...

And the odd sensation she'd had right before turning the corner that she knew what she'd find, and right before the demigods had attacked. Not that it had helped.

For all that, though, she found herself calmer than she'd have expected herself to be in this situation. Maybe she was just so overwhelmed that her mind locked on to the few details that it could control, but all she found herself thinking, as she woke up naked and trapped in a hostile area, surrounded by semi-strangers and covered in a mysterious substance, was I don't remember the friendly fire part of Titan's scripture.

That was assuming that she'd blacked out and been dragged here. There was another explanation - that she was dead, and this was whatever afterlife awaited her. If that was the case, though, she was going to write a very strongly worded letter to whoever was in charge of these things.

The panja rocked back and forth in her cocoon a bit. It didn't seem to have paralyzed her, only restrained. Someone else appeared to be reaching the same conclusion, while still another panicked. She decided to join the half-orc's - was it a half orc? It was hard to tell through the webbing - efforts in trying to escape.

Spoiler: OOC: Check
    Show
    Strength Check to escape: (1d20+4)[20]

Juno was able to draw her leg up and stamp, hard, making a squelching noise as her foot burst through. "Eugh." Pushing out with all six of her limbs, an even squishier ripping noise and the distinctly gross and slimy sensation of the webbing passing over her allowed her to drop out of the bottom of the cocoon. She caught herself with her wings and hovered vigorously to shake as much of the goop out of her feathers as she could. "Gross... gross. Ugh."

At Henrietta's call, she cleared her throat. "I'm here. I don't think I'm hurt, but I'm going to go free the other one first. I don't think they can breathe." With that, she scooped up a sharp rock, flew over to the next cocoon, and started carefully hacking at it near the top.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2016-02-05 at 10:32 AM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #184

As the two female voices spoke, all those present in the cavern realized that they were also still able to hear, their ears unobstructed.

Juno

Like a newborn exiting the womb, Juno was able to crack open the cocoon holding her, sliding to the dank wet rock of the cave floor with a thud, cold and... well, I would say helpless, but that kind of loses all meaning when you're talking about a person who is half angel.

Spoiler
    Show

Looking around, the Paladin was easily able to locate a sharp rock, and striding over, able to slice open the cocoon containing the person who had been panicking earlier. As he, in turn, slid from the cocoon to the cave floor, Juno recognized it as none other than Snorri.

Snorri

His breathing regaining its prior steadiness, Snorri watched as the second voice broke open its cocoon, the occupant sliding to the wet cave floor - and apparently, as bare as he was. In an instant, as he saw the glorious wings, he knew it was none other than Juno - who, grapping a sharp rock, came and sliced open his own cocoon, the bard sliding to the floor at her feet.

Aldric, Calantha, and Octavia

As the voices begin talking, Aldric, Calantha, and Octavia saw one of the cocoons burst open, disgorging a woman with huge angelic wings onto the cave floor. Grabbing a sharp rock, she went over to the cocoon that had shaken with panicked breathing earlier and cut it oopen, a bearded man sliding out from inside.

Spoiler: Octavia
    Show
    You recognize the woman as Juno, and the man as Snorri.

Amala

As Amala's eyes continued to adjust, she realized that there were apparently some luminescent cave fungi making their home down there. While it was not enough to see well by, she could make out basic shapes. They were in a cave, suspended over a large column of stone - Amala could not see well enough to judge how big it was. There were seven... cocoons, maybe? Around the bottom edge of that column, one of which was hers. As she watched, trying to discern what was happening, she heard the voices begin to talk - and then saw one of them burst open, the second voice going and slicing open the cocoon next to hers, its occupant sliding to the floor.

Henrietta

Henrietta began to hear walking and slicing noises as - apparently - people were able to start freeing themselves, apparently unbothered by the dark. While her own restraints did not break, she felt them start to loosen as she struggled, and realized that they would take less effort overall to burst, now.

Spoiler: Also, Map Updated!
    Show
    Amala, Henrietta, you can't see it.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-02-05 at 11:16 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Something blithe and crass came out of Aldric's mouth, thankfully muffled by the silk. The tirade continued in sizzling Infernal as he instinctively wiggled to free himself.

Spoiler: Escape Artist
    Show
    (1d20+9)[13]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Henrietta

Struggling further against her bonds, Henrietta began to bite and tear at the loosened webbing, and pushed her whole body as hard as she could towards the sounds of people escaping.

Show

Strength:(1d20+5)[14]

7. - Top - End - #187

Aldric

Aldric felt the silk loosen, but only slightly.

Spoiler: OOC - Aldric
    Show
    It did, however, loosen juuust enough that you can take 10 to get out.

Everyone

Everyone heard fairly vigorous swearing coming from the west.

Spoiler: Calantha
    Show
    You recognize the voice as Aldric's, and the language as Infernal. And you're fairly sure that it is physically impossible to do what he is suggesting.

Spoiler: Amala and Henrietta
    Show
    You recognize the language as Infernal. And you're fairly sure that it is physically impossible to do what he is suggesting.

Henrietta

Henrietta felt the silk loosen still further.

Spoiler: OOC - Henrietta
    Show
    You're 1 pip shy of being able to take 10.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-02-05 at 01:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Henrietta

Pausing for a second to process the profanities just recently spewed, Henrietta scratched through the back of her brain for the right word before settling on a simple "What." in Infernal. Continuing her thrashing, she only now came upon the realization that she wasn't fully aware of what happened to Harrison, and so with a slight mote of worry in her voice she whistled out "Harrison, you there boy?"

Show
    Once more with feeling:(1d20+5)[18]

9. - Top - End - #189

Henrietta

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    "Harrison, you there boy?"
    Henrietta was greeted by a distressed whimper next to her side.

Then, with a mighty rrrriiiiip, the silk, already weakened by Henrietta's thrashing, finally gave way, and the two of them - master and hound - slid to the ground. Her senses invaded by wet, damp rock, Henrietta was promptly joined by a shivering, furry, wet thing that could only be Harrison, who promptly began licking her face in seeming joy that they had not been separated.

Aldric, Calantha, Juno, Octavia, and Snorri

With an immense ripping sound, the first cocoon that spoke finally ripped open, its occupants - for there were two creatures inside - sliding to the cave floor. The occupants were a tall, well-built human woman with long hair and what appeared to be some sort of wolfhound, who promptly began happily licking his master's face.

Spoiler: Juno and Snorri
    Show
    Juno and Snorri recognized her as the other Custos Pacem officer who had joined them at the plaza - who, if they recalled correctly, had been referred to by one of the officers as 'Lieutenant Askstål'.

Amala

In the dim light of the luminous fungi, Amala saw another person break free - no, a person and a dog, of all things, if the happy wuffs​ were any indication.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-02-05 at 02:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

After more vigorous wiggling, Aldric looses himself and falls to his feet with a nearly graceful mid-air twist.

"Why am I naked? Why am I naked and sticky? What did I miss?"

Slowly getting his wits together, he goes to search the remaining cocoons for Calantha. The beautiful winged woman was a curiosity, but she would have to wait until he knew Callie was safe.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Octavia

Octavia came to slowly. Eerything that happened... seemed so far away. Like a dream. None of it could have been real. But as she opened her eyes, Octavia knew it was, and she just managed to surpress the scream coming out of her throat.

Screaming wouldn't help here. She needed to focus. She was no whimpering, fainting flower, and she was going to get herself out! Octavia began wiggling hard, hoping to slip out of the cocoon.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Escape Artist time! With fresh new skill points!
    (d20+11)[16]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Henrietta

Snickering softly, Henrietta wrapped a single burly arm around her pet's neck and scratched his wet head vigorously. In an instant she relaxed countless muscles that she hadn't even noticed were tense and bundled up. "You really are a girls best friend." Awkwardly standing up, Henrietta looked out into the dark surroundings before settling her sight in the general direction of the man who was cursing and now questioning his predicament. "It appears as if we were captured after the.... incident at the festival."

Picking up a nearby rock, she began to move towards the nearest "cocoon" to try and cut it open, but not before snapping her fingers at Harrison and grunting out a quick command to do the same elsewhere.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Picking up a rock and slashing open the nearest squirming cocoon Henrietta can see.

Handle Animal check to tell Harrison to bite open a cocoon if needed:(1d20+5)[18]

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

"Or harvested." The paladin continued to shake her wings, apparently greatly annoyed by the goo in them. Eventually she gave up and planted her hands on her hips, waiting until all the captives were freed. "We can speculate later. For now, quick introductions and then a spirited escape attempt are probably for the best. I am Juno Di Myla, Panja of the Solar Order and first generation Aasimar. Can everyone see in the dark, or do we need to find a light source?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

Leviathan preserve us! That was all that came to Snorri's mind as he witnessed the events unfolding. And then lost consciousness.

He came to confined. Trying to move his arms and legs, he realized one thing: Trapped! He'd been in worse situations, he was sure, but couldn't think of them at the moment. He tried to fight down the sense of dread slowly rising in his gut, and then realized what was causing it. I can't breath! his mind screamed, and he thrashed about, trying to free himself. Moments later, he heard a tearing sound and he was suddenly released. Snorri greedily sucked in the air, fair or foul he didn't care. He looked up at his rescuer and immediately averted his eyes. "Ah - Miss Di Myla, you're...um..." And then he looked down. "Well, that's interesting." He cleared his throat, but still tried to avoid looking at her. Mostly. "You have my thanks for getting me out of there. I couldn't breathe." He decided not to mention the fleeting panic that had gripped him. Better to remain positive.

"What's that, a light source? Coming right up!" The bard waved his hands theatrically and called forth a quartet of dancing lights, spreading them out as far as they could go and centering them between the cocoons. "Anyone wounded? I am Snorri, by the way, and I've already met Juno here." He gestured toward her, but started eyeing the bottle he spotted lying in the center of the cavern.

I do hope there is nothing here that wants to eat us. And then another thought struck him. My harp and blade! Blast.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-02-05 at 08:31 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

15. - Top - End - #195

With a snap and a wave of Snorri's hand, the cave was filled with light, and the intrepid seven blinked as their eyes adjusted. With those possessed of darkvision now able to see color, and those who were not so blessed now able to see period, all of them took the time to reassess the room.

As had been suspected earlier, the seven of them - plus Harrison - all stood upon an 80 foot wide stone column in a cave about 200 meters wide with a ceiling 60 feet above them, with nothing below the column but a yawning, black, endless abyss. The rock was dark and grey, and slick with moisture, and upon the cave walls, water could be seen seeping through cracks in the ceiling, various kinds of lichen and fungi taking advantage of the rich environment to grow.

The column itself was occupied by what were now - thanks to the work of Henrietta - five empty cocoons made from the silk of some giant insect and two full ones. In its center, a large, rocky outcropping took up most of the available space, a small pit of waist-deep mud visible underneath. A small glass bottle lay at the edge of the mud pit, with a tiny cylindrical object just visible inside. At the northern end of the column, a small stone bridge led to the wall of the cave, where a dark tunnel led upward and out.

Also, in addition to the benefit of being able to see where they were, the party was also at last able to see whose presences they were graced with.

A tall, 6' 2" man with hair the color of gold-coated ash, with an enchanting green left eye and a pitch-black right eye with a red iris, with a wafting scent that smelled oddly of cloves.

A woman of average height and beautiful, rainbow-colored hair, red eyes, pale skin, and a scent of overbloomed lillies - and the first of the only two still trapped.

An aasimar woman with copper hair and eyes, along with great, big, beautiful feathered wings.

A shorter woman, and the other occupant still trapped, with long white hair and piercing blue eyes.

The only male aasimar present, with sapphire-blue eyes and a mop of dark blonde hair and matching beard tied in sailor's tufts.

A woman with blue-grey eyes, hair on the verge between blonde, red, and brown, and the characteristic size and half-point of a half-elf.

A lithe, well-muscle woman with grey eyes and long blonde hair, accompanied by a faithful wolfhound.

And all of them - as several had feared - naked as a jaybird. Then, all of a sudden, the seven of them also realized they had another thing in common - each of them bore what appeared to be needle marks on their right arm.

Aldric

Sliding free of the cocoon, Aldric saw that, to his relief, Calantha was in the cocoon right next to his, his sister seemingly no worse for wear.

Henrietta and Amala

Gesturing to the cocoon nearest her, Henrietta and Harrison sliced open the cocoon containing Amala, the half-elf sliding out and collapsing on the floor. Harrison sniffed at the half-elf curiously, then at the other freed people curiously, his tail wagging in excitement at the prospect of meeting new friends.

Octavia

As Octavia wriggled about, the silk did not burst, but she did begin to feel it loosen.

Additionally, with the appearance of the light by Snorri, she realized that her disguise was missing as well, her ordinary appearance on display for everyone.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-02-05 at 09:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Aldric works to free Calantha. Once she's on the ground, he stands in front of her to shield her modesty, though is apparently unconcerned with his own as the only thing he covers is his right eye.

"Aldric, and my sister Calantha."

Surveying the other captives, he adds rather quietly, "This must be someone's fetish ..."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-02-05 at 09:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

"Ah - Miss Di Myla, you're...um..." And then he looked down. "Well, that's interesting." He cleared his throat, but still tried to avoid looking at her. Mostly. "You have my thanks for getting me out of there. I couldn't breathe."

Juno felt the beginning of a blush, but then felt it fade. The situation was too surreal - and dangerous - for any true embarrassment to set in. "No need to be shy," she deadpanned, "The Solar Order is all about heavenly bodies. Do we have everyone, now?"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Octavia

Octavia had known she lost her clothes, but it was only when she lost her disguise that she felt naked. But there was nothing she could do about it at this point, so really, things hadn't changed. Octavia was still Octavia, and she needed to escape. She wriggled harder and harder, to break free on her own.

Show
    One more time!

(d20+11)[14]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Amy

"S-Speak for yourself! I'd rather have my clothes back if it's all the same to you!"

Amy's face was bright pink, but quickly working its way towards an impressive shade of crimson as she tried desperately to cover herself. This was proving to be a challenge in itself given her...assets. (And in fact an observant voyeur would have noted that she seemed far more concerned with trying to conceal her chest than other more scandalous regions.) Eventually she had to settle for crossing her arms in front of her and hugging them against herself, which honestly really wasn't helping things all that much...

Looking around the area as much as the light permitted (and also trying very hard not to meet the gaze of anyone else... or worse, not meet their gaze...), the half-elf took a few deep breaths in an effort to calm herself down.

"So... anyone else have a clue what exactly happened? Because I got nothing! And now I'm in a strange place, and naked, and I'm kinda close to freaking out here!"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

Spotting one more struggling cocoon, the bard swiped Juno's masterwork sharpened rock and gently cut open the last bundle. "There you go, miss. Welcome back to the world of the living," he offered with a grim smile. Turning his attention to the bottle he spotted earlier, Snorri approached it slowly and knelt in front of it. Holding out his hand, he attempted to see if either the bottle or its contents were magical.

Show
    Detect Magic on the bottle and whatever is inside. If anything detects as magical, Snorri would like to use Spellcraft to figure out what it is.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

Callie

Aldric!

Darkness. Pain. The stinging burn of isolation and the acrid, metallic tang of fear.

These were not things Calantha had ever wished to feel again.

Upon waking, and the realization that she was bound, Callie's breath quickened and her heart pounded. She was naked, weaponless, and alone in a place she did not recognize. Bound in the sticky threads of — was that spider silk?!? — and suspended in a cave.

"No." The word was a whisper, and the summoner began to struggle against her bonds.

"No no no no nonono..."

A momentary distraction — Aldric's voice, swearing profusely, in a manner most ungentlemanly. He was here. He was here and she wasn't alone. That thought was momentarily relieving. It wasn't before. She wasn't like before. She was older now, she knew more, they weren't here.

"Aldric get me out of this thing--"

Falling gracelessly to the ground when her brother freed her, Calantha immediately cowered behind him, gripping his arms as tightly as she could, eyes darting in panic around at the other faces. She recognized none of them...who were these people? Where were they? This was unacceptable. Unacceptable!

"I need clothes right now right now where did Phaeton go...?"

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Octavia

Octavia tumbled to the ground,her white hair and limbs flying everywhere. Her mind was whirling, trying to decide what kind of story she should tell them about her appearence, but they stopped short when she noticed the other people in the room.

See, Octavia had never really been around naked people before. Her parents had her home schooled, and kept such crude things away from her. Even when she snuck out, Octavia never went around looking for naked people. And now, she was surrounded by them. And although she knew she should cover up, and not stare, Octavia couldn't help herself.

23. - Top - End - #203

Aldric and Calantha

With the two siblings now free, Aldric and Calantha's attention was drawn to the cocoons. As they had suspected, they were indeed giant spider silk - though they recalled that it shouldn't be quite so viscous or sticky.

Snorri and Amala

Picking up the bottle, a quick inspection by Snorri revealed to be an ordinary beer bottle - more specifically, a bottle of Felagi Light. What was in it, however, was not ordinary, as the use of Detect Magic on it revealed a minor, almost insignificant aura of evocation.

Sliding it out of the bottle, Snorri, after some examination, found it to be no ordinary stick, but that it was, in fact, an arcane torch. Working under similar principles to a sunrod, it had an ignition switch of sorts that activated a crystal at the front which, when on, emanated a Light spell. It had a grip for holding it in the hand, and the head was swivelable to allow it to be placed in a shirt pocket.

Spoiler: OOC - Snorri
    Show
    Basically, it's a rechargeable magic flashlight that can be put into a shirt pocket a la Silent Hill.

His examination of the bottle complete, Snorri and Amala' attention was next drawn to the the cocoons and the white-haired woman he had just freed. Looking her over, her hair was different, and her face, surprisingly, not as dirty - but it was, in fact, her, the woman they and Juno had met at the Highway to Hell. The cocoons, unsurprisingly, were in fact made of giant spider silk - though they noted that it was much more viscous and sticky than usual.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

Snorri turned around and held up the object. "Folks, take a look at this. It's an arcane torch! Serendipitous finding it here, I would say." He paused. "It looks like it can be clipped somewhere - a pocket or something - but, well...<cough>"

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Henrietta

Henrietta held a hand up to her face in order to shield her eyes from the sudden light shining in the room. Finally adjusting her eyes, Henrietta examined each person in the room and after recognizing the clear signs of divinity before her, she fell to one knee and formed the symbol of the Custos Pacem with her hands in respect. "Lieutenant Henrietta Askstål of the Custos Pacem, Fifth Precinct at your service." Standing up again, her face was a folded into a visage of narrowed eyebrows, piercing eyes, and abated cynicism. Despite the connection to the Solar Order, Henrietta didn't know anything about any of these naked people in front of her, and so she analyzed each and every one of them thoroughly and somewhat invasively with her eyes. Her eyes lingered perhaps a second too long on the one eyed exotically scented man. "Not attractive or anything just.... Clearly odd looking, that's it." She reasoned to herself before pacing around the rocks and bouncing her makeshift weapon in her hand.

Harrison did his own investigating outside of Henrietta's command and began to sniff at the twins, his nostrils flaring as he took in their otherworldly scent and began to pant excitedly whilst wagging his tail. Snapping her fingers, Henrietta summoned Harrison back to her side before holding a hand out to Snorri. Her lips were pursed slightly as she awaited him to hand it over to her, though after a few moments she decided to clarify her intentions "I can't exactly see in the dark, I'd like to keep my assets in vision separated from one source. Eggs in a basket and all," Pointing a finger out to the pathway leading away from them, she pointed the light in the same direction before commanding Harrison "Harrison, go scout ahead."

Putting her stone wielding hand behind her back, she stood at attention whilst watching her companion run off on the lighted path. Taking a deep breathe in, the Lieutenant contemplated all that had happened within such a brief period of time, all the pain and chaos and confusion. It was disgusting, absolutely revolting. She felt weak, superfluous, and a little bit betrayed. Betrayed not only by the fact that such a historic figure of the community would commit such an atrocity, but that her superiors would allow this to happen at all. She felt the void blow against her heart, a test of her mettle, and she would not falter. "I'm not sure what happened, or why we're here, and to say that we'll get out of here all in one piece is an empty platitude I have no business in dolling out. If I were to take my best guess we've been captured as food for some terrible unknown creature. But I will promise you that I will die before I see any citizen of Gottenburg unavenged. I will find this Phaeton, dead or alive, and we will do as our ancestors have done before us. We will stand together and weather the darkness," Turning around, still uncaring of her nude and defenseless form, Henrietta punctuated her statement with a thrust of her rock "Grab any rock you can find, if you need clothing so badly then cut some of the silk and wrap it around yourself. Move out!"

26. - Top - End - #206

Looking around, the intrepid seven spotted a total of six more rather hefty-looking rocks, perfectly sized to deliver some additional pain to anyone who might come their way.

Harrison, in the meantime, began dutifully trotting over to the stone bridge that would - hopefully - lead them out of there. However, as he approached the beginning, he stopped, then sniffed the air...

And, looking over the northwestern edge of the column, began growling.

A loud, insectoid hiss came from below.

Roll for initiative.

Spoiler: Usually I do this offscreen, but since this is the first fight of the game - not counting the one against the blob - I think it should be special.
    Show

PCs
    Aldric: (1d20+5)[22]
    Calantha: (1d20+3)[18]
    Juno: (1d20+6)[15]
    Octavia: (1d20+5)[9]
    Snorri: (1d20+3)[22]
    Amala: (1d20+1)[4]
    Henrietta: (1d20+2)[12]

Average: 15

Enemies
    Aberrant Spider: (1d20+4)[21]

This was also the other part of the intro that I aped for this campaign.

Also, the Aberrant Spider wins and goes first.

Harrison began barking loudly as the party's foe - and presumably the creature that had bound them - appeared over the edge of the column.

At first glance, it appeared to be your average, ordinary giant spider, the size of a small oxcart with fangs the size of your arm and compound eyes the size of very large dinner plates. But anything more than a casual glance quickly revealed that it was anything but, as huge, bulbous tumors hung from its dripping, gore-laden abdomen, which pulsed with an eerie blue glow.
    Spoiler: OOC - Concerning Rocks
    Show
    You all had about a round before Harrison started growling, so those who wish it can now say they wield a rock.

Spoiler: Aldric, Calantha, Snorri, and Amala
    Show
    Looking upon the grotesque monstrosity that is this aberrant spider, you note that - glowing and tumors aside - it appears to be a Giant Black Widow Spider. Like most giant spiders, they are able to sense tremors in the ground, immune to spells that target the mind - as they are little more than common vermin - and have a rather poisonous bite, as well as the ability to spray webbing with which to entrap their opponents. Should one of you be unlucky to get bitten and poisoned, you would almost certainly become staggered, and suffer damage to your constitution.

None of you, however, have any idea as to what could be causing the glowing, as it is not typical of this animal. Whatever the cause, it must certainly make it more difficult than your ordinary giant spider.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-02-09 at 12:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Snorri

Snorri was in the process of picking up a rock just as the spider came into sight. Wasting no time, he took a deep breath and started belting out a song at the top of his lungs. Mostly nonsense, of course, but he felt those around him needed a bit of hope, even if it stemmed from a ridiculous song.

"Old fat spider spinning in a tree!
    Old fat spider can't see me!
    Attercop! Attercop!
    Won't you stop,
    Stop your spinning and look at me!
    Old Tomnoddy, all big body,
    Old Tomnoddy can't spy me!
    Attercop! Attercop!
    Down you drop!
    You'll never catch me up your tree!"

Show
    Per Mantas, Snorri now has a rock. Also, Inspire Courage!
    An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno

Seeing the cart-sized spider before her, Juno started to act and then hesitated, a sense of inevitability sank into her mind, or maybe her soul - the battle's occurrence was fixed, just as the betrayal at Gottenburg, and nothing she could have done would have prevented it. "Stupid... useless psychic powers." She ground a hand into her temple, trying to get her head back in the fight, and shook her head vigorously.

Then it happened.

The paladin didn't know whether it was because this was her first life-or-death fight, or because of the song, or maybe just due to having been exposed to Titan directly, but when she looked up, she could see the spider's movements before they occurred. With that kind of lead time, even she would be able to dodge easily. She took a step forward and began casting a spell, drawing on her innate angelic strength to protect her.

Show
    Juno's Powerless Prophecy Curse triggers: Juno is Staggered! The Staggered condition will clear on the next turn.

Juno is casting Protection from Evil as a Spell-Like Ability (CL3) on herself. Juno has taken a five foot adjust, which is already on the map.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2016-02-09 at 09:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Amy

Hearing the commotion from across the way, Amy ran over to see what it was, only to be greeted by the horrific visage of the monstrous spider. The grotesque appearance caused her to stop short and stare in a stunned silence at the beast.

That is quite possibly the grossest thing I have seen in mind life...

Snapping out the shock, the half-elf spun around, looking for something, anything, that might be used as a weapon. Unfortunately the only possibilities that presented themselves were the rocks lying here and there on the cave floor, and the prospect of getting close to that thing was not appealing.

Well.... guess that's worth a try..?

Trying her best to concentrate, Amy focused on the closest rock lifting itself off the floor and flinging itself at the spider. That was the trick, trying to picture it in your mind. If you could do that, everything else just sort of...worked. Slowly at first, the rock wobbled into the air before propelling itself forward in a sudden burst of speed!

Spoiler
    Show

Using Telekinetic Projectile on the rock at AD19.

Ranged Attack: (9) roll in OOC
    Damage: (1d6)[1] bludgeoning

The rock thudded gently off the side of the spider's head. It was barely even enough to call it a real hit, but nonetheless caused Amy to raise a triumphant fist skyward until she remembered she was naked.
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2016-02-09 at 01:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Henrietta

Clenching her rock in one hand, Henrietta began to run around the rock bridge in order to set up for a quick charge against the arachnid abomination. Gritting her teeth, she barked out an order for Harrison to attack the beast which the Wolfhound obeyed with fervor. Growling, Harrison loped forward and bite at the tumor ridden spider.

Harrison's teeth dug deep into the Spider's chitinous skin, ooze dripping from his mouth as he released the monster from its grip and continued to bark at it. Snickering in pride at her companion's successful attack, Henrietta urged him on with a wave of her rock "Get him Harrison! For Gottenburg!"

Show

Henrietta moves 30ft, Harrison charges the spider.

Attack:(1d20+6)[22]
    Damage:(1d6+4)[6]

Crit:(1d20+6)[17]
    Damage:(1d6+4)[6]

Last edited by Tychris1; 2016-02-09 at 01:13 AM.