New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Dragons Rising IC

You've all found the notices, either in Oakhurst itself, or in one of several smaller villages a few days' travel away.

House Dverkin offers profitable work for brave humanoids.
    Two young dwarves, by name of Talgen & Sharwyn Dverkin went missing while exploring long-abandoned ruins.
    House Dverkin offers one hundred golden decals for proof of the pairs' fate, or triple that amount upon their safe return to Oakhurst.
    Inquire after Shelkon Dverkin at the Dverkin trading post, Oakhurst for further details.

Spoiler: Knowledge(Local) DC 10
    Show
    You recall seeing the sigil of a family called Dverkin on the side of a caravan wagon, or stamped on purchased goods.

It's a stylised icon of three mountains, three rivers & three stars.

Spoiler: Knowledge(Local, Nobility or Geography dc 15)
    Show
    House Dverkin is a dwarven clan, a merchant house that plies trade across the Golden Plains, from the western kingdoms (Angarn, High Renva, the Elflands etc.) all the way to the mountain-ranges of the east.

You also know what's in the spoiler above.

Spoiler: Knowledge(L, N or G dc 20)
    Show
    You know all the information in the spoilers above, and that Dverkin's nearest permanent holding is indeed in Oakhurst. Their outpost is headed by a woman called Ain, who catches a lot of grief from the rest of her siblings for being chosen to inherit that position from her farther, even now, fifty years after the fact.

Beyond being a trading house, part of House Dverkin is also a mercenary company. Not all the warriors are Dverkin, but the officers definitely are, barring exceptional, well, exceptions. The company's last major battles were as part of the relatively recent Elf-Angarn war.

The clan has their roots in the Brown Hills just beyond the Golden Plains, in the region known as the Elsir Vale.

It wasn't much of a lead, but for whatever reason you all decided, either independently or together, to go visit the trading post in Oakhurst and hear about the job.

Oakhurst itself is a town of just shy of a thousand inhabitants, with five hundred more living near enough to make market. It lies on the eastern outskirts of the Golden Plains, just far enough out that it can't rightly be considered part of any of the western kingdoms (and thus evades taxation), yet close enough to make for a good place to ply trade with all of them. It is, in many ways, the gateway to the mountains of east, and even the lands beyond.

The buildings are squat and homey, mostly one- or two-storied half-timbered houses.

You're standing outside the Trading post, a small cluster of buildings on the main street. There's a fairly large stable, what looks to be an office building, and an inn. It's a busy place too, people, mainly dwarves, running around. A caravan is just now coming in from the east, and it seems there's no end to the amount of work that needs done. No-one is affording you much attention.
    Last edited by BBDuc 2E; 2015-12-28 at 05:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Dragons Rising IC

Zirnitran skirts around to the office building. He keeps his head low, avoiding eye contact with strangers on the street as he enters the building.

He'll approach either the front desk or whoever seems in charge, and say "Much pardons. I am look for the Dverkin name Shelkon. About job. Search for d... dvarf?" He struggles with the last word.
    Last edited by Chilimaggot; 2015-12-29 at 11:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Know Local (1d20+4)[22]

Zane enjoys making his way through the crowd, almost swimming through them, zigging, zagging along.

Standing on the opposite side of his intended destination, he watches a small creature with reptilian features about to enter.

Uh oh. Kobolds may be good at making traps, but walking into a dwarven trading company looking for missing dwarves? Now THAT sounds like walking into a trap!

He spots an opening between the people and caravans, and makes his way across.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

With wide eyes Little Running Bear makes his way to the trading post. The hectic life around him has him focusing on too many things at once and he bumps into a dwarf. He quickly bows out of respect only to see the dwarf has turned the corner already. Mystified by the busy town he enters the building and closes the door with relief, happy to shut out the world for a moment.

He walks up to the desk and puts a notice he aquired earlier on the counter. He makes himself look tall and pounds with a fist on his chest once. "I am a brave! I'll help the Dverkins." He states proudly.

5. - Top - End - #5

Zane thinks back to the narratives he has collected back at home:Rogue's Rule #6 - when part of a team, make sure there is a companion you can use as cover in times of need. RR #6b - it's better if they agree to it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

As he waits for a response, Zirnitran mentally runs through several spear maneuvers in his head. Aha! he thinks. Have at thee! as he imagines himself skewering an opponent. He returns his attention to the person he spoke to.

7. - Top - End - #7

The receptionist looks up from his writings, and smiles at you, pushing a pair of lead-rimmed glasses up his wide nose.

"If you're looking for the Dverkins, you've certainly come to the right place!"

He stands, and you can tell he's younger than the glasses and beard made him look at first glance. "Looking at you all, I can tell you're probably here about that bounty we put out - you look like adventuring types. Come on in, so we can talk in private!" He opens a door, leading into what's evidently an office, with a view of the courtyard.

The dwarf sits down at his desk, and motions to the chairs on the other side.
    "Please, sit! Name's Eron Dverkin, nice to meet you 'n all that. Now, let's talk business. How much do you know about this whole affair?"
    Last edited by BBDuc 2E; 2016-01-05 at 11:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Zane rushes in behind.

oh! And me! I'm an adventuring type!

Zane 'begins' to run through the knowledge, preferably before the others get to speak.
    (OoC: from the Know: Local check)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Zirnitran gives the sudden elf a chance to speak. Then he holds up a copy of the notice.

"I know is reward."

10. - Top - End - #10

"That's right." Eron takes off his glasses, and carefully places them on a cloth on a stand on his desk. "See, those two missing dwarves, they're the nephews of Ms. Ain - and if Ain is worried, Dverkin is worried. We need her to focus on trading!" His boisterous voice picks up a tinge of worry. "So your job is to figure out what happened, and hopefully bring the youngsters back. As best we can tell, they ran off to explore a nearby ravine called the Sunken Citadel, a few days down the Old Road. It's goblin country over there, and no mistake!"

11. - Top - End - #11

What do I know about these particular goblins? Know Local? (1d20+4)[9].

Zane keeps in mind that the heroes of his stories often began their journey with seemingly simple tasks.

How far of a travel is it? And why do you think they went there?

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You haven't heard about these particular goblins.

"A fast horse could make it in a day, I think. It's been a fair while since anyone used the Old Road for anything - trade mostly flows east. By foot..." He shoots Zirnitran a glance, first time he acknowledges the kobold, really, "or talons, I'd say two or three days."

"We know because some of their friends told us. Bragged about how they were going to be adventurers, the fools did. No offense, of course."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Zirnitran looks around at everyone gathered. "I am ready begin. Split reward, no problem."

(Sense Motive- when the dwarf "shot a glance" was there some kind of malice contained, or was it more of a general acknowledgement of difference?) (1d20+1)[4]

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Zirn believes about Eron's motivation what he usually believe about people in general, and dwarves in particular.

Whether he thinks that people are generally unpredujiced, that dwarves are mean, that people mostly think of kobolds as pests, or something else entirely, that's what he thinks Eron is like.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Except with us, we actually WILL be going on an adventure. I assure, I'm a trained professional. Or at least trained. Some..." Zane replies to the adventures comment.

"And I don't suppose you can spare a horse or two. Maybe a pony for... Oh! I'm Zane! What do you call yourself, companion?

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Or three? Four horses?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Zirnitran is not like to get on animals." says the kobold. "But to keep up I would ride..." he stops. "Poo-knee?"

"But I am not think du-varf is give horse to every schmuck who come to help."
    Last edited by Chilimaggot; 2016-01-08 at 09:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

The wild tribal looking elf introduces himself simply by stating his name. "Little Running Bear." One by one he clasps his hand around the forearm of the others leaving them with little option but to clasp their hand around his forearm. With his left hand he pats the shoulders of the others in a friendly manner.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Little Running Bear."
    Zirnitran's eyes widen and he shrieks. "No! Not ride bear! Little horse, like other elf say!"

He returns the clasped arm, however. "What name, crazy elf?"
    Last edited by Chilimaggot; 2016-01-08 at 02:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

He shoots a confused look at Zane while Zirnitran speaks. "That's Zane." Little Running Bear says while he nods towards Zane to clarify for Zirnitran. "He doesn't look too crazy to me though." He shoots Zane another look, this time verifying if he might have missed something about the other elf. He finishes the handshake and pounds himself in the chest once. "I'm Little Running Bear. And together we find the lost Dverkin!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Zirn squints a moment.

"Oh. You is little bear. Not saying... you not saying Zirnitran ride a bear."

He kicks the dirt and mutters to himself.
    Last edited by Chilimaggot; 2016-01-08 at 03:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Zane would simply looked excited.

He'll likely try to remember this conversation for when he writes about his own adventures.

To himself: "...and then the other Elf said... And the Kobold was like... Gah! Maybe I'll have someone write it FOR me... I'm sure my family will hire someone great with prose..."
    Last edited by Edgar Snow; 2016-01-08 at 11:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Zirnitran warily stares,
    unawares, as Little Bear
    stands over there, as if in prayer
    not saying a word.

"Er, okay..."
    he says to Zane.
    "Let's get on
    this questing train."

He straightens out his backpack, undeterred.

23. - Top - End - #23

"I might know the way!"

Know Localor Geo? (For basic info) (1d20+4)[6]

"But perhaps a map or a better guide should take the lead".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Zirnitran turns back to the dwarf. "You hev map? Me and Zane bring du-varfs back ourselfs, without these dummies."