New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D which edition

@ Lady of Lore:

If there's nothing available in the area, you might try signing up for Roll20. There are a host of games going on there, and you can search for games that are accepting new players and are being played at a time that meets your schedule. You can also search based on rule set and edition.

Like others, I wouldn't worry too much about which edition you play. They all have things that are easier and harder to grasp than other editions, and yet, somehow, people have learned how to play and enjoy each one. I have no reason to believe you won't be able to do the same. (That said, I've only played BX/BECMI/RC and 2E AD&D, so you probably shouldn't trust anything I say about the later editions).

So my main advice is to find a game that meets your schedule, and have fun!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neonchameleon View Post
    I've just been back to check. And discovered that you did not provide a meaningful recommendation at all. The closest thing to a useful recommendation you gave was the suggestion to go for simpler editions and then the fallacious claim that older editions were generally simpler.

I brought 1e in as a counter example to the only actually actionable advice you gave (older is simpler) that doesn't involve reading and comparing multiple editions. 1e is the easiest old edition to find so unguided will be the default a newbie finds - and the most complex three book core set in the history of D&D.

I apologise for misremembering and thinking you might have given advice that might have been useful to the OP like actually suggesting an edition in the edition suggestions thread.
    It seems clear to me that all you're interested in at this point is tearing into me over some imagined slight and that you believe personal attacks are acceptable as long as the target voices an opinion you disagree with. Well, if this is what makes you happy, you can continue doing it alone. Ta.

Best of luck to LadyOfLore.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralDerp View Post
    Did this part get cut off?
    My explanation of 4e's skill challenge rules? Yup. I meant to say they are the "Three strikes plans" in the retroclone in my signature.

Short version - when the players come up with a complex plan you really don't know what to do with, the mechanical plan is to work out how difficult it is, chunk it up, and have them try to do each part with appropriate skill rolls

The Skill Challenges presented in the 4e PHB are writing down what a good DM might have done as part of a structure - but never telling you how they fit that flexible structure. Used as an improv tool they work well, but they aren't presented as an improv tool.

Also re: Square Fireballs, in play they aren't a problem after the first couple of sessions IME. But my theory is that 4e was playtested on a hex grid where the blasts are 60 degree cones and the fireballs are approximately circular. And then they were told "You must use square grids" about a month before 4e went to print so forced everything onto a square grid the fast and efficient way. (Again my retroclone uses hex grids).

Could you elaborate on that? Because 4e is nowhere near "balanced" in my book. It may be more balanced than 3.X, but that's like saying lava is cooler than the sun.
    Indeed. 4e is neither an example of anything even vaguely approaching perfect balance nor of symmetric game design. It's just better balanced than 3.X or 2e. Part of Arneson and Gygax' genius in the design of oD&D is that you quite literally have each class being an almost separate game in oD&D, complete with extremely different resource mechanics, loot, and objectives.

(I am only slightly exaggerating when I say that D&D in 1974 was the first class based RPG - and the second was as far as I know Apocalypse World in 2010, with everything in the middle having packaged-point-buy as its "classes")

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    BX/BECMI/RC are great, absolutely, but finding copies is tricky anymore and not a lot of people seem to still be playing them (odd, since Red Box was reputedly the best-selling D&D product of all time). The difficulty of finding an active game may be part of the reason it hasn't come up much.
    Rules Cyclopaedia.

Moldvay Basic/eXpert

Mentzer Basic (the rest of the ECMI does't appear to be there, but that's the bestselling red box).

According to one primary source, D&D made more money in 1983 than the entire RPG market is making now - and that's not allowing for inflation.
    Currently in playtesting, now with optional rules for a cover based sci-fi shooter.
    Games for Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and Silver Age Marvel. Skins for The Gorgon, the Deep One, the Kitsune, the Banshee, and the Mad Scientist

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralDerp
    [4e] may be more balanced than 3.X, but that's like saying lava is cooler than the sun.
    Just take a moment to admire this

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

While I stand by my recommendation to play at first with people, I do understand that this may not work for you, so here is my suggestion:

Download the basic rules from the wizards of the coast web site.

As noted a few posts previous, go the the roll20 site online and set up a free account. (So far, you have spent zero dollars).

Try to get into a game at roll20.

Depending upon your internet connection, the video and audio feeds for roll20 may be weird. But if you can, make sure you select the audio channel. talk helps.

Always use the chat function for communication on a final choice made during the game.

See how it works.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Lady of L. (LoL?),
    The thread you initiated has been real fun to read, and now I want to try every version!
    Downloading the free 5E rules is probably the best way to go, to be a player rather then host the game ("Dungeon Master"). To play you really only need to know maybe the character creation rules and the list of spells if your playing a spellcaster. When I play I deliberately ignore the rules and just ask the DM what the character perceives, then I roll the dice to see if the attempt was successful. Whichever version of D&D you may chose is still probably best determined by what the individual play group that seems most fun or by which version gives you a character that looks fun (3.5 probably has the most options if you include the supplements, but I think with other versions it's easier to decide what character to play)
    If you want to learn an earlier version my favorite way is from the 1977 to 1978 basic set.

I found a version of D&D that a fan made called "the grey book" that uses those basic rules plus some latter rules at
    www.mediafire.com/?5nzhz1ztiyx

And after you started this thread I picked up a 1994 book "The Classic Dungeons and Dragons Rules and Adventures Book" which must have been from a "basic" or "starter" set back then and it just may be the easiest to learn from reading version that I have found yet.
    Also the Basic Role-playing game published by Chaosium is a good choice to learn the hobby from.
    Just thinking about it has reminded me how much fun D&D and table top role playing games in general can be.
    Thanks and good luck!
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2016-03-16 at 02:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also re: Square Fireballs, in play they aren't a problem after the first couple of sessions IME. But my theory is that 4e was playtested on a hex grid where the blasts are 60 degree cones and the fireballs are approximately circular. And then they were told "You must use square grids" about a month before 4e went to print so forced everything onto a square grid the fast and efficient way. (Again my retroclone uses hex grids).
    Square is just so much easier to use though.

For my system I tried to compromise; most spell effects and explosions are spherical, but anyone in a square that is partially filled by the effect is still hit, so they are in effect square more often than not.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Square is just so much easier to use though.
    YMMV. I find squares better on certain types of streets or in most buildings where the walls are straight - and hexes better on open ground because they are almost correct in their distances and there's no silly 1/2/1/2 counting.
    Currently in playtesting, now with optional rules for a cover based sci-fi shooter.
    Games for Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and Silver Age Marvel. Skins for The Gorgon, the Deep One, the Kitsune, the Banshee, and the Mad Scientist

9. - Top - End - #99

YMMV. I find squares better on certain types of streets or in most buildings where the walls are straight - and hexes better on open ground because they are almost correct in their distances and there's no silly 1/2/1/2 counting.
    Oh, I meant for the shape of fireballs and the like, not for the board as a whole.

I do, however, use a square grid for two reasons;

1: There are a lot more models with square bases than hex bases, and
    2: I find that the 1.5 distance thing for going diagonally to be a lot easier than the back and forth walk you have to do when moving up and down on a hex grid. I remember playing fallout (which used a hex grid) and how weird it looked when your character would walk straight up or down on the screen in this weird zig zag pattern.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I meant for the shape of fireballs and the like, not for the board as a whole.
    I have a set of templates (I think the company is Steel Sqwire or something to that effect) that I bought at GenCon YEARS ago, and still use to this day. Works out great for me.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    I have a set of templates (I think the company is Steel Sqwire or something to that effect) that I bought at GenCon YEARS ago, and still use to this day. Works out great for me.
    IIRC those aren't spherical either, are they?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I tended to assume that the squares in 4e were approximations... so your square fireball was really a circle, but there's enough uncertainty about any given object's location that you can go "eh, good enough."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

IIRC those aren't spherical either, are they?
    No, that's my point. They let you know which squares are and are not affected by AoEs.

RedMage Prestige Class!

"Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Step 1 : Choose Latest Edition : Choose 5e
    Step 2: Look up 5e rules online, read in one afternoon all the basics
    Step 3: Join an online game on roll 20, its free and tell them your new, ask questions
    Step 4: After playing for one week, start GMing your game. 95% of your questions will be gone.

[Kickstarter] 50 Fantasy RPG Dungeon Gaming Maps - Live till 2/2/16! Support our Kickstarter and Get Paid for it!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    No, that's my point. They let you know which squares are and are not affected by AoEs.
    I've used two other methods that are simpler, rulers and circles. Rulers are cheap and accurate and simple to use. For circles figure the length of wire you need and make a few different sizes with clothes hangers.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I've used two other methods that are simpler, rulers and circles. Rulers are cheap and accurate and simple to use. For circles figure the length of wire you need and make a few different sizes with clothes hangers.
    Whatever works for you, but if you DO play on a grid, it helps to have an official ruling on which squares are affected.

RedMage Prestige Class!

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I can totally understand how the square spheres can rub a person the wrong way. However, if you are using a grid, than they are simply faster and easier.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    I can totally understand how the square spheres can rub a person the wrong way. However, if you are using a grid, than they are simply faster and easier.
    Actually the wire circles are faster. No counting distances.

Plus for me there's the additional bonus of not being completely dependent on using and buying mats or grids. Our group has worked up house rules about dropping the center of an effect in the middle of a 'square' and using the rulers has simplified line of sight/effect/charging. We've had more fun that way, althouhg the CRPG guys have had issues with remembering that they don't need to be enslaved by grid lines.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

If you can't find a group to join, I'd recommend 5e. That version is probably the easiest to learn just by reading, and the basic rules can be downloaded free, so you're not out any money if you find the game is not to your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Even simple things, like doors being indestructible, make no sense in version 5.
    Where are you getting this from? Doors aren't indestructible in 5e. Like other objects, they have an AC based on their material and hit points based on their size. Or, if you just want to force open a stuck or locked door, that's a simple Strength check.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Where are you getting this from? Doors aren't indestructible in 5e. Like other objects, they have an AC based on their material and hit points based on their size. Or, if you just want to force open a stuck or locked door, that's a simple Strength check.
    probably got it from the same people who believe that doors in 4th ed suddenly got harder to break down when you leveled up.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: D&D which edition

Thank you everyone for the out put and help
    :3 I have found a game and I am hoping for the best
    I am excited :D

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOfLore View Post
    Great news!

Out of curiosity, which edition did you end up with?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Tell us all about it!
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Star Wars Saga Edition
    :3 I actually going to play for the first time in the next hour xD
    Kid Jake was kind enough to invite me to sit in a game of his
    and I am kinda nervous but you do not know how it is till you try it
    If he had not I was leaning on 5e or pathfinders but it also depends of on what groups that would take me :3
    Last edited by LadyOfLore; 2016-01-17 at 06:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As jinjitsu said, 5th ed is probaly your best bet. But you also really want to find a group, or at least a DM, who knows what they're doing. For new role players, I would say that 5th, Classic (BECMI or B/X) or 2nd are the best places to start with, but in the hands of a good DM who is trying to be friendly to new players, any edition but 4th is good. 5th is obviously going to be the easiest to find materials for.

I'd recommend against 4th, because it is the furthest from the basical ideas of D&D, basically being lightly D&D flavored World of Warcraft on a tabletop. There are also "retro-clones" D&D variants with the serial numbers filed off for legal reasons. Some of them are quite good, too.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

:D just finished my first session had a lot of fun still very noobish but that is ok for now
    I cant wait to do it again with less mess ups and embarrassments.
    I still looking to learned some of other ones to...
    Thank you every one for their help again

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

:D just finished my first session had a lot of fun still very noobish but that is ok for now
    I cant wait to do it again with less mess ups and embarrassments.
    I still looking to learned some of other ones to...
    Thank you every one for their help again
    Great! I'm glad you had fun.

Don't sweat the mess ups and embarrassments - it happens to everyone.

And don't sweat the edition. Playing with any edition is better than not playing.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Great! I'm glad you had fun.

Don't sweat the mess ups and embarrassments - it happens to everyone.

And don't sweat the edition. Playing with any edition is better than not playing.
    Unless that game is FATAL.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Unless that game is FATAL.
    Reading that, I couldn't help but imagine playing d&d to the death.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

Lol, I get flustered and um emotional easy. I one point I turned red as tomato but either way it was more fun after i relaxed.
    The session was cut a bit short so I did wish it lasted longer and I cant wait till next Sunday to play again