New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Fantasy Football in the Playground?

While this was used to run a league in 2016-17, it's now just a FF discussion thread.

Spoiler: League stuff
    Show
    As another year of fantasy football comes to a close, I couldn't help but wonder whether there were any fantasy football players here? How did your year go?

Anyone here play or interested in playing season-long fantasy football? Perhaps I could start a semi-official GitP league next year, if there's sufficient interest.

Note: We should probably avoid discussion of daily fantasy, given its legal status.

THE LEAGUE BASICS:
    • League on NFL.com
    • Standard NFL scoring and other settings; EDIT: (I did make one change to standard scoring. 40-49 yd FG are worth 4 points.)
    • If we get 8+ players, we'll do standard roster 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
    • If we get 6 players, we'll do 2QB/3RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
    • If we get an odd number of teams, we'll add a bot team that will autodraft and I'll set the lineup per NFL scoring predictions, and otherwise add/drop players in as simple and direct a fashion as I can. The bot will not trade. If the bot wins, we will all be embarrassed.
    • Players who don't set their lineups will find themselves warned the first time, then blocked the second time, and their teams given the bot treatment. If I end up playing all the teams by the end of the season, I'll be rather peeved.
    • Waivers will be "move to last after claim, never reset." (I'd accept "reset weekly to inverse of standings," by majority vote, if people want to promote parity in the league.)
    • Live online snake draft, though you can allow the computer to autodraft for you.
    • EDIT: Draft to be either Tuesday 10 pm EST. Saturday Sept. 3 at 3 pm EST or Tuesday Sept. 6 at 7 pm EST, depending on when we get a quorum. There's a Thursday 9/8 game, so the latest possible draft would be Wednesday Sept. 7 in the evening.
    • Four team playoffs in Week 15&16
    • In a blatant abuse of power, I will offer custom titles for regular season and playoff champions. (Custom title of my choosing for a duration of my choosing or until Rich tells me to knock it off.)
    • In another blatant abuse of my power, I reserve the right in Goodell-esque fashion to make changes as we go "for the good of the league." I hope it doesn't come to that.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2017-08-21 at 12:04 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fantasy Football in the Playground?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    As another year of fantasy football comes to a close, I couldn't help but wonder whether there were any fantasy football players here? How did your year go?

Anyone here play or interested in playing season-long fantasy football? Perhaps I could start a semi-official GitP league next year, if there's sufficient interest.

Note: We should probably avoid discussion of daily fantasy, given its legal status.
    My season was plagued by injuries, I lost Julian Edelman, Vincent Jackson and Marshawn Lynch at various points, and had picked up Arian Foster in anticipation of him coming back (then he was out for the season 2 weeks after coming back). Despite that I still finished 5th in our 12 person family league.

I'd be down for a GiTP league, as long as people are actually going to play the whole season. Nothing is more annoying than starting a league and having people basically quit after a few weeks and hand out free wins to people that happen to face them when their players are on bye week but still being played.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2015-12-30 at 12:00 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would love to start up but there's a significant barrier of entry, given that I'm a filthy foreigner.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
    I would love to start up but there's a significant barrier of entry, given that I'm a filthy foreigner.
    What is the significant barrier to entry that you foresee?
    Forum Rules

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I tried fantasy football once.

They wouldn't let me use Superman, Hulk, or Gandalf though, just a bunch of guys I'd never heard of (I think one was some kind of Orc warrior or something), so I called it quits.

6. - Top - End - #6

What is the significant barrier to entry that you foresee?
    Don't exactly have the same access to the NFL.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I finished third in my pay league, so no real drama there (same place I finished the regular season in).

The family league (10 teams) was more entertaining. I finished the regular season in first place despite finishing 8th in points for (152 points behind the team that finished 5th, 297 behind the team that finished 2nd, and 342 behind the highest scoring team which finished third). However I finished first (lowest) in points against, as I was 100 points lower in that category than the next lowest team. In short, I exemplified "Better lucky than good", as anyone who went up against me seemed to have a horrible week.

I won my semifinal the same way, but lost the finals to the team that finished third in regular season (which was the highest scoring team during the regular season).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was undefeated in the regular season while averaging 153 points. Then my team fell apart and I lost the second round of the playoffs (I had a first round bye) after only scoring 70 points. Incredibly disappointing end to the best season I'd ever played.

Also, I would be up for a GitP league next season.
    Last edited by Nomrom; 2016-01-06 at 05:05 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: I'm just sayin'
    Show
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    I'm down. I dig it.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    I'd be down for a GiTP league, as long as people are actually going to play the whole season...
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    I finished third in my pay league, so no real drama there (same place I finished the regular season in).

The family league (10 teams) was more entertaining...
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Yung Crunk View Post
    I'm down. I dig it.
    So that's four or maybe five of us. Not enough, really, but let's keep the dream alive for now. I'll create a league and post the proposed rules/policies when the sites turn over to next season. I'd like 10 or 12 team, but could probably go with as few as 8. Six teams would require significant adjustment, but I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, subscribe to this thread, if you're interested, and I'll update it when things switch over to the 2016-17 season.
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd be up for it.

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

13. - Top - End - #13

Sheriff: Permission to revive this thread has been granted.

Nice. Okay, folks, this is where the rubber meets the road. Are there enough people on here to do a GitP Fantasy Football League?

If you're new to fantasy football, that's okay. I don't mind explaining and there are a ton of online resources. It's fun, but it's also a season long commitment.

Time is short, so let's get down to business. Here's my proposal:
    • League on NFL.com
    • Standard NFL scoring and other settings
    • If we get 8+ players, we'll do standard roster 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
    • If we get 6 players, we'll do 2QB/3RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
    • If we get an odd number of teams, we'll add a bot team that will autodraft and I'll set the lineup per NFL scoring predictions, and otherwise add/drop players in as simple and direct a fashion as I can. The bot will not trade. If the bot wins, we will all be embarrassed.
    • Players who don't set their lineups will find themselves warned the first time, then blocked the second time, and their teams given the bot treatment. If I end up playing all the teams by the end of the season, I'll be rather peeved.
    • Waivers will be "move to last after claim, never reset." (I'd accept "reset weekly to inverse of standings," by majority vote, if people want to promote parity in the league.)
    • Live online snake draft, though you can allow the computer to autodraft for you.
    • Draft to be either Saturday Sept. 3 at 3 pm EST or Tuesday Sept. 6 at 7 pm EST, depending on when we get a quorum. There's a Thursday 9/8 game, so the latest possible draft would be Wednesday Sept. 7 in the evening.
    • Four team playoffs in Week 15&16
    • In a blatant abuse of power, I will offer custom titles for regular season and playoff champions. (Custom title of my choosing for a duration of my choosing or until Rich tells me to knock it off.)
    • In another blatant abuse of my power, I reserve the right in Goodell-esque fashion to make changes as we go "for the good of the league." I hope it doesn't come to that.

I can add other details, if needed. But I think that covers the basics. Who's ready for some (fantasy) football?!
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2016-08-30 at 10:46 PM.
    Forum Rules

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd be down for it.

Just as long as people that actually sign up for it PLAY it. Nothing annoys me more than people that do the draft then ignore a league for the rest of the season, leaving in players that are hurt/on bye and effectively handing out free wins.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-08-31 at 12:10 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Show
    Exactly why I'm starting a Blood Bowl League for my university gaming scene this fall. Never liked regular American Football, not enough maiming (though it does try sometimes.)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

16. - Top - End - #16

Sweet I completely forgot about this thread. I'm definitely in. I've never used NFL.com for a fantasy league, but I've got no problem trying it there. All of your other rules sound good to me.

In other fantasy news, I just did one draft last night for a league with some friends of mine, and I think I've got a pretty solid team. Plus, a lot of the other players made some very baffling choices so that should help me. I also have a draft tomorrow night for my work league, and that one needs to be good, because I've actually got money riding on that one.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Im down for this. Always wanted to see a GiTP FF league.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm in. And either of those draft times works for me.

19. - Top - End - #19

[*]Draft to be either Saturday Sept. 3 at 3 pm EST or Tuesday Sept. 6 at 7 pm EST, depending on when we get a quorum. There's a Thursday 9/8 game, so the latest possible draft would be Wednesday Sept. 7 in the evening.
    I didn't see this part of your post. Saturday isn't as great a time for me; I'll be away at my wife's family for the Labor Day weekend. Also, it's right before A&M's opening game. If I need to, I can probably make it work, but I would prefer the Tuesday option.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll join in.

21. - Top - End - #21

I'd be down for it.
    I'm definitely in.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    Im down for this. Always wanted to see a GiTP FF league.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    I'm in. And either of those draft times works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I'll join in.
    Including me, that's 6! So we are a go!

Hopefully, we'll get a few more takers in the next day or so. I'd really like to have 8. I'll set up the league Friday night with however many we've got and send out invites. PM me your email address and I'll send the info when I create the league.

We'll do the live draft Tuesday night at 7 EST.
    Forum Rules

22. - Top - End - #22

In other fantasy news, I just did one draft last night for a league with some friends of mine, and I think I've got a pretty solid team. Plus, a lot of the other players made some very baffling choices so that should help me. I also have a draft tomorrow night for my work league, and that one needs to be good, because I've actually got money riding on that one.
    Good luck with the draft. My work draft was Tuesday night. It didn't quite work out like I'd thought it would, but I'm okay with my team. Too many people were autodrafting though, which made it go really fast. So it was less of a social event than I'd expected.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2016-08-31 at 11:13 PM.
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My pay league drafts this Saturday at 11am, and my family league drafts this Sunday at noon. We tend to wait late so last minute injuries have a chance to clear out.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

By the way, I hope none of you are Cheatriots fans....because if you are, we will have...issues.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    By the way, I hope none of you are Cheatriots fans....because if you are, we will have...issues.
    Not I. I am a long-suffering Lions fan with various lesser loyalties.

So, the draft is currently set for: Tuesday (9/6) at 7 pm EST/6 pm CST.

I'm not opposed to setting a different time, if there something mutually agreeable to the six of us (and anyone who joins before I make the league Friday night (probably at or after 8 pm EST)).

Here's a Doodle poll: http://doodle.com/poll/73ytit23dtpzr8de. (These are start times and the polls start with 1 pm Sat. or Sunday, and 8 p.m. EST on Monday or Tuesday, all times EST.)

If there's not a time that literally all of us can do it, we'll leave it where it is.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2016-09-01 at 10:34 PM.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Not I. I am a long-suffering Lions fan with various lesser loyalties.

So, the draft is currently set for: Tuesday (9/6) at 7 pm EST/6 pm CST.

I'm not opposed to setting a different time, if there something mutually agreeable to the six of us (and anyone who joins before I make the league Friday night (probably at or after 8 pm EST)).

Here's a Doodle poll: http://doodle.com/poll/73ytit23dtpzr8de. (These are start times and the polls start with 1 pm Sat. or Sunday, and 8 p.m. EST on Monday or Tuesday, all times EST.)

If there's not a time that literally all of us can do it, we'll leave it where it is.
    Is there a way to move that to Monday rather than Tuesday? I've actually got to attend training that week Tues-Thurs from 9 am-8 PM EST, so I will be unavailable at 7 :( (or just move it a bit later in the day to 8 or 9 PM EST)

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Saturday doesnt work for me, but any time Sunday, Monday or Tuesday evening work.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Show
    Crow used to run a fantasy Blood Bowl league here. (Double fantasy football). The seventh and final season concluded a couple of months ago. I think there's a FUMBBL or other tabletop BB league here too somewhere.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #29

Is there a way to move that to Monday rather than Tuesday? I've actually got to attend training that week Tues-Thurs from 9 am-8 PM EST, so I will be unavailable at 7 :( (or just move it a bit later in the day to 8 or 9 PM EST)
    Absolutely. If the poll shows that works for everyone, that's fine with me. I'm available all the times in the poll. Later Tuesday night is probably the best for me.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2016-09-01 at 10:22 PM.
    Forum Rules

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fantasy Football in the Playground? [Recruiting]

I can play barring getting a good time for the draft. The current Tuesday at 6, I would be at work. Not really a fan of auto-drafting again. Did that last year in two leagues and tanked in both of em. Got to draft this year, and I'd like to say I got a good team, assuming Jamal Charles can stay healthy.