Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

Q81

Duergar Trooper has a polymorph ability that increases his size to Large. Dwarf PC that can reduce his forced movement by one square is adjacent at the time. Is the dwarf forced to move 1 square as the Duergar enlarges? Or does this allow/force the Duergar to move away from the Dwarf by a square as he enlarges? And what if there are no other locations for the Large creature to appear, what takes precedent?

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kashyyyk View Post
    Q81

Duergar Trooper has a polymorph ability that increases his size to Large. Dwarf PC that can reduce his forced movement by one square is adjacent at the time. Is the dwarf forced to move 1 square as the Duergar enlarges? Or does this allow/force the Duergar to move away from the Dwarf by a square as he enlarges? And what if there are no other locations for the Large creature to appear, what takes precedent?

Thanks!
    A81

I wouldn't call this one clear-cut, but here's my take.

I presume the Duergar has something in the Polymorph ability that says that it can push other creatures. If not, then it's probably screwed either way.
    If it gets a push, it's probably because of the Polymorph rules, which state that: "If a polymorph effect would make a creature too large to fit in the available space, the effect fails against the creature, but it is stunned (save ends)."
    Therefore, the push is meant to clear away space so the Polymorph won't fail and cause the Duergar to be stunned, unless the corridors you're fighting in are too tiny (and you shouldn't use those monsters there for obvious reasons). It's a failsafe.

However, the Dwarf in this situation is making the failsafe itself fail, but only under very specific circumstances. It's highly unlikely that the Duergar cannot go from a 1x1x1 creature to a 2x2x2 creature without including the Dwarf in the area he's going to occupy. That's pretty much only going to happen when the Duergar is boxed in... by other Dwarfs that it cannot push aside.

So in the very rare case of the Duergar being surrounded by terrain or non-allied Dwarfs, I'd applaud the ridiculous setup and say the general polymorph rules kick in with a "no you don't" leading to a save ends stun on the Duergar. In all other cases, I'd say it'll expand into a 2x2x2 square area wherever it fits, which shouldn't be too difficult.