New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

A21 revised

Also, I don't believe that the feat Pact Blade Manifestation exists anymore. IIRC it was in the original Hybrid and Multiclass Options article for Dragon #400, and eventually got cut for the compiled version precisely because it allowed you all the cool Hexblade stuff without actually being a Hexblade.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks to each of you for the clarity.

That actually means my player and I need to re-hash his paragon character to be legal; he's had that manifestation thing for a while.
    The Battle Magician

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature." I started my first campaign with a mercenary general investigating each member as individuals and then bringing them together as a team. Kind of like Nick Fury and the Avengers, except with magic and a distinct lack of heroism in favor of deeper, more intricately (and coherently) woven character lore.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

I mean, if you think it works fine, just leave it. It's not incredibly overpowered, unless the player really takes it into their mind to abuse it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Speaking of Revenants...

Q#22

There is, or was, a feat that caused damage to attackers that knocked you below 0 HP. I don't remember what tier it was, but I thought you had to be a revenant to take it (though I may be completely wrong). I've been looking through books and haven't found it, so I suspect it's in old Dragon Magazine stuff (I can't check the compendium since WotC ended that stuff).

Does anyone know what the name of the feat (or similar one) is?
    Last edited by Draculstar; 2016-06-20 at 10:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

A 22

It's not gone, just hidden here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

A22 continued

Stormhawk's Vengeance from HotFK is probably the one you're thinking of. It's not revenant-specific but it's of more use to them because they're more willing to get down that far in hit points.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

<b>Q23</b>

Is there any way to increase the distance you can shift with a power that states how many squares you shift?

Specificaly the Rouge utility 6 that states: until the stance ends you can shift 2 squares as a minor action.

I would like to be able to shift 3 or more squares to use cursed shadow as a minor action.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yomega View Post
    Is there any way to increase the distance you can shift with a power that states how many squares you shift?
    As far as I know, there are only a few ways to globally increase all shift distances. My personal favorite is Great Cat Armor (hide armor; Property: When you shift, you can shift 1 additional square."), but there is also the Long Step feat (epic feat; exact same effect as Great Cat Armor). Since you're a rogue, there's also Risky Shift (same as the others, but, if you do shift the additional square, you grant CA until SoNT).

It wouldn't surprise me if there are some others, but those are the ones that I immediately recalled.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Q24

When a Half-elf uses an implement power through the Dilettante racial feature, can any implement they have proficiency in be used to gain Enhancement bonuses, or do you need an implement from the appropriate class?

Context, making a Half-elf Paladin and have my eye on Vicious Mockery, and I'm completely failing my Perception check on whether I can use my Holy Symbol to cast it or if I need a Wand to get those mostly mandatory +X's from magic implements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When a Half-elf uses an implement power through the Dilettante racial feature, can any implement they have proficiency in be used to gain Enhancement bonuses, or do you need an implement from the appropriate class?
    There was some bit of errata at some point that stated that you can use any implement in which you are proficient for any implement power, regardless of what class it comes from. As such, if you're proficient in the use of holy symbols, you can use a holy symbol as your implement for a wizard power, monk power, or what have you.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Q 25

So Shardmind's and others can have a short ranged telepathy. If you had two shardmind, and their burst 5 overlapped, would that be enough to let them thoughts? Or could a single PC in both bursts act as a relay?
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Q 25

So Shardmind's and others can have a short ranged telepathy. If you had two shardmind, and their burst 5 overlapped, would that be enough to let them thoughts? Or could a single PC in both bursts act as a relay?
    A 25

The Rules Compendium states that telepathy requires the target creature (that you're "speaking" to) be within range and within line of effect. As such, two shardminds with overlapping telepathy range would not be able to communicate with each other, but, if there was a willing individual in both of their auras, it could act as a relay, communicating with both of them (it wouldn't automatically relay however; the relay character would have to make a conscious effort to do, repeating each message every time, like a translator).

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome, that's what I thought. I've got a batch of total noobs, never played any PnP before, so I'm getting some fun questions. Another of which is...

Q 26

My Witch get's an arcane familiar, and i instantly thought of the Rakshasa Claw. But it's not showing up in the builder. It's from the same book as the Disembodied Hand, so I can't see why it's not in the builder. Is it some manner of advanced familiar, or is another feat required to pick it up?
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

OldWizardGuy

Q 26

My Witch get's an arcane familiar, and i instantly thought of the Rakshasa Claw. But it's not showing up in the builder. It's from the same book as the Disembodied Hand, so I can't see why it's not in the builder. Is it some manner of advanced familiar, or is another feat required to pick it up?
    A 26
    Has your Witch reached 11th level? Rakshasa Claw is a paragon tier familiar and won't be available to a character of level 10 or lower.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Not even close. That explains it.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

Not even close. That explains it.
    I'd just point out that the builder is also sometimes a little weird about Paragon Tier familiars when the PC got the Arcane Familiar option in Heroic. It might not come up even then. Just a heads up...

17. - Top - End - #77

Q 27

I was reading up on the Ardent Champion PP that a player just took and was reading the entry for Fanatical Flurry. For target, it reads "Your oath of enmity target and each enemy in the burst" which seems strange when you consider that you can only use Oath of Enmity on a enemy (as such, it is guaranteed to be an enemy). The fact that the OoE target is singled out in the target entry makes me think that there was supposed to be something special about it, like attacking your OoE target even if it's not in the burst (e.g. targets your OoE target no matter where it may be and also targets everything in the burst), but by strictest interpretation, it would only attack targets in the burst (which means that singling out OoE is redundant).

Can anyone shine some light on this? I'm fine if it's just bad wording and does absolutely nothing special where your OoE target is concerned, but I've just got a funny feeling I'm missing something.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Not a formal answer, because someone may come up with something authoritative, but ... The question is whether to read it as "[your oath of enmity target and each enemy] in the burst" or "your oath of enmity target and [each enemy in the burst]". WotC did not supply a semantic rule that would give a clear answer, nor did they see fit to address it while making a different update to the PP. I'm inclined to say the former is intended, since there are more powers that specify odd combinations within a burst than those that target a burst plus something outside it. But I'm also inclined to be generous to avengers, especially those taking PPs with encounter attacks that can never trigger Oath Of Enmity double-rolling. Since avengers do have access to powers that project their authority beyond the reach of their blade, it doesn't mangle verisimilitude to allow the broader interpretation.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

A 27 The area of the power is "close burst 2", so it affects that close burst (and not the burst and somebody standing outside of it). The wording is kind of awkward, but what they actually meant was that you must place the close burst so that it includes your oath of enmity target.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

its been awhile since i played D&D finally found a group but i feel rusty. i have a few questions in this campaign I created a level 1 half-orc barbarian. when i play with this GM every human elf gnome dwarf hates me like i am kill on sight is this normal?

also he told me barbarians cant use any magical weapons if i pick up one it will break i dont rember reading that in the 4th edition rules. can anyone help?

21. - Top - End - #81

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by garrnk View Post
    its been awhile since i played D&D finally found a group but i feel rusty. i have a few questions in this campaign I created a level 1 half-orc barbarian. when i play with this GM every human elf gnome dwarf hates me like i am kill on sight is this normal?
    Not for 4th edition. The default setting for 4E might see you getting the occasional side-eye or poor treatment, but it certainly wouldn't have entire races reacting violently to your presence. If your DM is running 4E and he intended to run his world this way, I would have expected him to warn you that you'd be facing severe social ramifications at character building.

also he told me barbarians cant use any magical weapons if i pick up one it will break i dont rember reading that in the 4th edition rules. can anyone help?
    There is no rule like this in 4th edition.

With that said, are you sure that you're using 4th edition? I think some earlier editions of D&D did have rules restricting barbarians from using magic weapons, and if you're in an earlier edition you'll get better answers on the appropriate board.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

i know he used to play 3rd edition and 2nd in previous games but hes playing 4th edititon now. i read the shifty eye thing and thats what i was expecting not outright KoS.

i think its 4th edition. i got one daily rage power 1 encounter ability and 2 at will attacks does that sound like 4th edition?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

i know he used to play 3rd edition and 2nd in previous games but hes playing 4th edititon now. i read the shifty eye thing and thats what i was expecting not outright KoS.

i think its 4th edition. i got one daily rage power 1 encounter ability and 2 at will attacks does that sound like 4th edition?

24. - Top - End - #84

That's 4e. If your GM is going to disallow you from using magic weapons, though, your GM is setting you up for failure since 4e is balanced very heavily around players having magic items (big 3 slots, at the very least).

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

thats what i am afraid of any recomendations of talking to him about it without throwing the rule book rudely in his face?

26. - Top - End - #86

OldWizardGuy

thats what i am afraid of any recomendations of talking to him about it without throwing the rule book rudely in his face?
    Probably best to make a separate thread at this point. Recommendations for talking to a DM is straying very far from the Rules Q&A that this thread is for.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q29 (The 28th wasn't numbered)

Hypothesis: If you roll a critical hit with a vorpal weapon under the effect of the Righteous Rage of Tempus channel divinity power, no damage dice are re-rolled.

Question: True or False?
    The Battle Magician

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature." I started my first campaign with a mercenary general investigating each member as individuals and then bringing them together as a team. Kind of like Nick Fury and the Avengers, except with magic and a distinct lack of heroism in favor of deeper, more intricately (and coherently) woven character lore.

28. - Top - End - #88

A29: You didn't actually roll the dice, you just automatically got the maximum. So correct, no additional rolls.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 30

Re: Opportunity Attacks - everyone gets them, right? My DM is of the opinion that your character must have an explicit opportunity action power even to make a generic opportunity attack, which seems... off.

30. - Top - End - #90

A30

Everyone *does* have a power that's an opportunity action power. It's called "Opportunity Attack". It's an opportunity power that is triggered by an enemy willing leaving a square adjacent to you without shifting. The effect is that it allows you to make a melee basic attack against the triggering enemy.

It's one of the basic "powers" that everyone gets access to without having it actually put on a power card: Bull Rush, Charge, Coup De Grace, Crawl, Delay, Escape, Grab, Ready, Run, Second Wind, Shift, Squeeze, Stand Up, Total Defense, and Walk.

By your GM's interpretation, a player wouldn't be able to shift if they didn't have an explicitly written power that included shifting in the effect or grab a target if they didn't have a power that allowed them to grab.
    Last edited by ThePurple; 2016-08-15 at 11:37 PM.