Thread: Fate XYZ?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Fate XYZ?

Soooo....a friend finally got me to give Fate: Whatever a watch. By giving me his whole collection.

I watched Fate: Stay/Night, and found it mediocre. Some really cool stuff, a lot of not so good stuff.

Now since following the Internet the exact progression seems weird: What order should I watch the rest in? As Is aid, everything but apokrypha (obviously) is here, and I made a promise to get through, even if its not really good so far...
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Fate XYZ?

Nitpick: is Fate/Stay Night. Of you watched the original FSN anime then the correct order is probably Fate/Zero then Unlimited Blade Works! I've not seen Apocrapha yet, bit it's stand alone.

I love Fate, but I have to admit that it's not the greatest series in the world. I really wish we could get a full version of Prototype though, not only is it interesting, well...
    Spoiler: Saber's Identity
    Show
    That's King Arthur. King and hero, noble, chivalrous, good. But still with failings. A hero larger than life who doesn't regret his actions. That's the Arthur I grew up with.

Prototype seems to get Arthur more, probably because they had no need for a deed scene between him and the protagonist halfway through the story.
    I prefer science fiction to fantasy, and generally play in the former genre. Due to this, I generally expect the laws of physics to apply to games, and work from that perspective.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

There is also Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, which is a different universe, with Illya as the protagonist and, at first, a different feel. It's basically the fanservicey magical girl version of Fate. It was entertaining until they made it more traditionally Fate-y, at which point I lost all interest.
    Last edited by BWR; 2017-12-12 at 02:20 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

OK, so Zero then the BLade Works Movies next, check.

And so far it has some very nice ideas/cool stuff, but to be honest, the episodes from 1 to 9 could have been done without loosing anything in 4 episodes, leaving more room for the actual developements/battles/explanations, thats my main gripe with it so far.

Oh, and Nitpick accepted. :)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

As a big fan of the fate franchise the series has some issues being watched from an anime point of view. The original visual novel was meant to be read/watched in three "Routes", one after another each building on each other. That is somewhat difficult to translate to an anime format for obvious reasons. In addition the author's style of writing tends to have a lot of exposition and narration which can also be hard to translate into an anime format.

So the first anime that you watch from Studio Deen is mostly comprised of the first route (Fate) with some major plot points from the other routes thrown in for context. It is generally considered mediocre for Fate Anime due to a variety of issues and the Fate Route being the least interesting IMO. Ufotable adapted the second route (Unlimited Blade works) into an anime which was much better received but UBW builds off the fate route so if you didn't see/have background information on that one it's not the best stand alone series. Ufotable is also adapting the third route (Heaven's feel) but it's only available as a movie right now. And as someone who saw it playing in America oh boy do you need background information from the first two routes to appreciate it.

Fate/Zero is the prequel to Fate/Stay Night, very well done but it's best if you already come in with some background information.

Fate/Apocrypha is an Alternate Universe where a certain major event in the third Holy Grail war goes differently and it ends up being a 7v7 team death match Holy Grail War. Interesting concept but also mediocre due to having too large of a cast for each to get development and the writers adding in a new OC stand in who I just dislike horribly (Sieg should of been removed from the entire story...Would of improved the whole series)

Fate/Extra is an upcoming anime based on the video games of the same name where you are in a virtual supercomputer on the moon.

Fate/Prisma Illya: Magical Girl Illya anime... I would highly recommend NOT watching this with anyone around as the fanservice ranges from fairly distasteful to "Wow I am probably on an FBI watchlist" due to the young age of the characters. The sad thing is that in the later parts of the manga the series actually transitions to a fairly decent series despite that fact.

Fate/Hollow Axtratia: A visual novel sequel to Fate/Stay Night. No anime adaptations are out as far as I know.

Fate/Grand Order: A mobile game/1 episode OVA detailing the prologue of the game. The player is part of an organization trying to save the world by traveling to different points in time and fixing history. Fairly amusing for a mobile game and I enjoy it. The story is actually pretty good once you get past the first few arcs and Delight Works got their act together as well

Those are the main ones you are probably going to run into, there are others like Fate/Strange, Fate/Prototype and the Case Files but I don't believe those are going to get an anime adaptation anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

OKAY, SO. I'm playing in a Fate/RPG at the moment, and been talking with a friend about it a lot lately, so I think I might have some suggestions.

(and apologies if this gets pretentious and long-winded. It's... kinda my thing,)

So, Fate/Stay Night is based off of an old Visual Novel with branching paths. That novel was popular enough to spawn a series of spin off shows, games and light novels (which have then been adapted into their own various anime and manga).

The 2005 adaptation by Studio DEEN, Fate/Stay Night is the best starting point if you just want to watch the series. That anime adapted the first route of the game, the 'Fate' arc, which mostly served as an introduction to the concepts of the world, the rules of the universe, the characters, and so forth.

(There was a movie released after that based upon the second route, Unlimited Blade Works, but I'm ignore that.)

Studi Ufotable ended up picking up the rights to some of the series, and produced a series called Fate/Zero. Fate/Zero is based upon the light novels of the same name, and serves as a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, telling the audience about what happened in the Fourth Holy Grail War, about Kiritsugu, Saber, Gilgamesh, and so forth.

It was a huge success, so the studio ended up adapting the second route of the VN as an anime titled Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. I've heard people say that that anime series can be best enjoyed as a 'sequel' to Ufotable's Fate/Zero anime adaptation.

There is a movie series currenlty being produced based upon the third route in the games, Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel. As far as I know, it's not available on Blue-ray or DVD yet.

So, that's the "main" continutity. The other franchises you've heard of are side-stories or non canon stuff to this.

Fate/Apocrypha is based on another light novel series, with the pitch 'what if the Holy Grail War was team deathmatch'. It takes place in an AU where stuff got off the rails sooner than in the canon Fate series. It's probably best enjoyed after watching the earlier stuff on this list, simply so that the concepts and ideas make sense.
    I've heard negative reviews about it though, and it's animated by A1 pictures, of 'Sword Art Online' fame, so other than the fact I love the central premise, can't exactly push this recommendation hard.

Fate/Kalied Linear prisma Illya is... weird. Again, total AU, more of a magical girl series with illya as the protagonist. I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a HUGE departure from the series norms.

There's also a new series airing in Winter, called Fate/Extra, and based on the game of the same name. It's another AU, where magic disappeared in the 80's and mages adopted a more technological approach to things.
    It also features a Holy Grail tournament Arc on the moon so, you know. That's a thing.

Basically? The best introduction would bt eh first three anime I mentioned. The rest are more like side story elseworld takes on the concept.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber