New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle II - I don't THINK Gara got robbed I KNOW he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The Ryu one still doesn't make sense to me. I feel like the hadoken and street fighter in general have more than enough mysticism floating around them to qualify.
    Yeah, you have a yogi with stretch limbs who can teleport and breathe fire, energy blasts from ryu and ken, sonic boom attacks from guile, of course bison and his psycho power. Oh, and blanka and his electrical ability. Im sure the list is even longer. Street fighter has tons of magic and physics breaking feats, just like mortal combat. The biggest difference being mortal combat shows people getting killed, while apparently almost noone dies in street fighter unless they are fighting akuma or something.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah i ment peach not zelda. And mario's official height is 155cm so just over 5'

There are also several mystical scources in sf such as "muscle power"
    Last edited by Devonix; 2016-08-09 at 04:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Pretty sure he meant peach, or maybe mario, I dunno, I havent been into mario games since the super nintendo so ive missed a lot.
    I'm pretty sure he did too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The Ryu one still doesn't make sense to me. I feel like the hadoken and street fighter in general have more than enough mysticism floating around them to qualify.
    You mean Ryu vs Scorpion? Well Scorpion is the Elder God's undead, and technically classified as immortal, champion with a win streak that includes all of MK's hell. He uses, and is immune to, magical super-fire and in the comics even fully resurrected and on earth where the element is at it's weakest his mastery of hellfire still makes the mortal version of him more powerful than the immortal god made out of REAL LIGHTNING Raiden.

Even if a case were to be made the pre-death version of Hanzo has less skills than Ryu (and I honestly doubt that, ST have mystic feats doesn't elevate ST above MK's ever increasing range of above-god level competitors), the version of Scorpion we all know over the two decades is an immortal hell specter.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The biggest difference being mortal combat shows people getting killed, while apparently almost noone dies in street fighter unless they are fighting akuma or something.
    Not even from him; For years he was attributed with killing Gouken, Ryu and Ken's master, but he showed up in SFIV perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Not even from him; For years he was attributed with killing Gouken, Ryu and Ken's master, but he showed up in SFIV perfectly fine.

Well once Ryu masters the way of nothingness he is able to eradicate the psycho power containing Bison's essence killing him.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

and the winner is sonya blade, because guns, grenades and poor logic.

More interestingly the next contestant is Tracer from Overwatch. I wonder who she'll be up against. Nightcrawler?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    More interestingly the next contestant is Tracer from Overwatch. I wonder who she'll be up against. Nightcrawler?
    Oh~ I wonder if she'll win with guns, grenades and poor logic.

Maybe they'll pick someone from... what was that thing? Battleborn?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Or Team Fortress 2. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing one of the mercenaries in play in a Death Battle. For Tracer, let's go with Scout, since they've got similar roles. I don't think Scout would win that one, though. He may be fast, but so is she, and while he has all kinds of strange energy drinks, I don't see that stacking up al too well against Tracer.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, as someone who has no commitment to any series (I've played a bit of Mortal Combat, but not even half an hour) I find this suspect, and also abusing what are obviously cinematic moves. It's bad enough that for their statistical analysis they insist on avoiding sane units while talking about force, as if the Newton never existed, but the logic hurt my brain.

I don't play Overwatch, so what are Tracer's key qualities? As far as I know it's simply 'fast, agile, and has two guns, so I have no clue who they'll put her up against.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #280

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I don't play Overwatch, so what are Tracer's key qualities? As far as I know it's simply 'fast, agile, and has two guns, so I have no clue who they'll put her up against.
    due to a tech accident she became...uh...dislodged from time, the thing she wears on her chest anchors her to the present and allows her limited temporal control of her own time. she can speed herself up, appearing like she's teleporting short distances. she's also able to reverse her time by 3 second, healing her of all wounds gained in those three seconds and reloading her guns. and most boringly she has a pulse bomb on her back she can drop on someone.

for the best demonstration of what she's capable of check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBUMabtslI
    Last edited by chainer1216; 2016-08-17 at 10:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Banned

If we ignore gameplay restrictions and go by lore she's almost invincible. She can rewind anything short of an instant kill.

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    If we ignore gameplay restrictions and go by lore she's almost invincible. She can rewind anything short of an instant kill.
    Scout would be a good match, then - unloading the Force-a-Nature into someone at point blank range is basically an instant kill for everyone in TF2, even Heavies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

due to a tech accident she became...uh...dislodged from time, the thing she wears on her chest anchors her to the present and allows her limited temporal control of her own time. she can speed herself up, appearing like she's teleporting short distances. she's also able to reverse her time by 3 second, healing her of all wounds gained in those three seconds and reloading her guns. and most boringly she has a pulse bomb on her back she can drop on someone.

for the best demonstration of what she's capable of check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBUMabtslI
    If not for the obvious power difference I'd expect Emiya Kiritsugu from Fate Zero, as his magic and [spoiler] gives him both the time acceleration abilities and a strong healing factor. He'd be nowhere near as fast or mobile as Tracer must be, so the battle would be more one-sided than Shadow versus Mewtwo.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I don't play Overwatch, but I do play Battleborn, the game everyone says directly competed with Overwatch and suffered for it. (Even though the games are only superficially similar.) If they did pick a Battleborn, the only one who I think could compare to Tracer would be Marquis, since he at least has an AoE time control effect, even though it pales in comparison to Tracer's time manipulation.

Though from the cinematic trailers it looks like there are some severe limitations to Tracer's time manipulation? There's at least a couple parts where Tracer can't rewind time when she needs to, or is tricked into wasting her rewind time ability only to fall into some other trap. Not sure exactly how that works.

Either way, if the opposing character is a Battleborn or a TF2 character, I fully expect Tracer to win. Not only is "rewind time" a difficult ability to compete with anyway, but even if she was somehow outclassed, the power of Blizzard marketing is strong with her.

15. - Top - End - #285

What about Tracer vs the Prince of Persia? Can the Dagger of Time and cool wall-run skills defeat boolit?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    What about Tracer vs the Prince of Persia? Can the Dagger of Time and cool wall-run skills defeat boolit?
    Thought about it, but I'm pretty sure since both have time rewind powers that would come down to the Prince bringing a dagger to a gun fight.

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Thought about it, but I'm pretty sure since both have time rewind powers that would come down to the Prince bringing a dagger to a gun fight.
    The Prince doesn't just rewind time, he can also slow it (giving him the reaction time he needs to stay ahead of the aiming arm) or freeze it (scoring "free" attacks on the enemy).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Prince doesn't just rewind time, he can also slow it (giving him the reaction time he needs to stay ahead of the aiming arm) or freeze it (scoring "free" attacks on the enemy).
    Hmmm... he can rewind up to 10 seconds, and I can't remember how long his time slow and freeze are but it's significant, his problem is only having a limited reserve. I believe he also has to wait 10 seconds if he runs out a sand tank or he can't fully use the new one, I'm not 100% sure.

Although I think he might fall into the same problem Emits has, just being a lower power level in general. I'm not sure if Overwatch is high powered or not, but Tracer in the adverts is stupidly more mobile than the Prince is (although it was awesome when I mastered his wall run).

Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

If not for the obvious power difference I'd expect Emiya Kiritsugu from Fate Zero, as his magic and [spoiler] gives him both the time acceleration abilities and a strong healing factor. He'd be nowhere near as fast or mobile as Tracer must be, so the battle would be more one-sided than Shadow versus Mewtwo.
    Kiritsugu has his Origin Bullets. Depending on how you interpret "Severing and Binding" to apply to non-mages, he could have a weapon that could negate her healing or possibly deliver the one-hit kill.

20. - Top - End - #290

Hmmm... he can rewind up to 10 seconds, and I can't remember how long his time slow and freeze are but it's significant, his problem is only having a limited reserve. I believe he also has to wait 10 seconds if he runs out a sand tank or he can't fully use the new one, I'm not 100% sure.
    Yes - you can't rewind and then rewind again until you've reached the same place in the timeline that you were in.

However, the Prince has a valuable edge, because he is the only one that remembers what's happened in the time he rewound. If Tracer can only rewind personal time, that puts her at a disadvantage where the Prince can get iced by her best move, rewind time (oh yeah, he can do that after dying) and then know exactly what she's going to do before she does it.

Although I think he might fall into the same problem Emits has, just being a lower power level in general. I'm not sure if Overwatch is high powered or not, but Tracer in the adverts is stupidly more mobile than the Prince is (although it was awesome when I mastered his wall run).
    This is definitely an issue, but that's what would make it an interesting fight - can better time control beat sheer numbers?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chimmon View Post
    Kiritsugu has his Origin Bullets. Depending on how you interpret "Severing and Binding" to apply to non-mages, he could have a weapon that could negate her healing or possibly deliver the one-hit kill.
    IIRC, Kiritsugu's Origin Bullets work by severing the target's magic circuits and then rebinding them in a dangerous configuration, causing them damage if they use too much prana. I believe that the target has to be currently using magic for the bullet to have an effect as well, with more prana being used meaning a bigger effect. Now, the bullet could possibly work slightly differently on differently powered individuals, but we don't know that.

Now if this would work depends on one thing: do non-Nasuverse characters have magic circuits. Because as far as the Nasuverse goes this is a deadly ability, I think it would even work on most Heroic Spirits to a greater or lesser extent, but it get's weaker the less power a person has, a non-mage basically only has to deal with being shot with a rifle bullet. If we assume that they don't have magic circuits then the bullet is still a rifle bullet fired from a pistol: Kiritsugu is good enough to kill with it, but we don't know how instant the kill would be. If they do have magic circuits, then hit Tracer when she's using her time abilities (possibly exploiting Double Accel, maybe Square Accel) then they basically get reduced to a fraction of their former power.

Now Kiritsugu's Origins are powerful, and if he was properly trained as a magus he could likely do a lot more with them, but most of his spellcraft is on his family's time spells. His three greatest abilities are actually:
    1) His first trump card, Time Alter, which allows him to either speed up or slow down his personal time. It would come into play.
    2) His second trump card, his Origin Bullets. They would definitely come up, but we don't know how they'd work in this case.
    3) His ability to exploit both magical and mundane means of gathering evidence (including the 'camera on familiar' trick). This would not come up in a Death Battle, as combatants are not allowed to know of each other ahead of time.

Add to that the fact that Kiritsugu isn't particularly good at fighting. Sure, he's good enough and exploits his equipment for all he can, but a) he's much more focused on 'winning the war' and b) he's mainly focused on hunting mages. Assuming he can get somewhere Tracer can't find him he might have a chance, but in a straight-up fight I would say that his time abilities are just too limited.

EDIT: Although if he appears in a Death Battle without Avalon then I'll be annoyed, because he did have it at his prime and it makes Time Alter significantly more useful.

@ Flickerdart: yeah, I agree there, I just have a tendency to look at raw numbers first. I'm actually more concerned about the Prince's limited reservoir, I believe he never get's much more than a minute in total. It would be a very interesting fight though, even with just the basic Time Rewind the Prince has a rather nice advantage.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2016-08-17 at 03:50 PM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Now if this would work depends on one thing: do non-Nasuverse characters have magic circuits. Because as far as the Nasuverse goes this is a deadly ability, I think it would even work on most Heroic Spirits to a greater or lesser extent, but it get's weaker the less power a person has, a non-mage basically only has to deal with being shot with a rifle bullet. If we assume that they don't have magic circuits then the bullet is still a rifle bullet fired from a pistol: Kiritsugu is good enough to kill with it, but we don't know how instant the kill would be. If they do have magic circuits, then hit Tracer when she's using her time abilities (possibly exploiting Double Accel, maybe Square Accel) then they basically get reduced to a fraction of their former power.
    Tracer's powers come from an external source, so she probably wouldn't be using her Magic Circuits in the first place.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Tracer's powers come from an external source, so she probably wouldn't be using her Magic Circuits in the first place.
    The Origin Bullet doesn't target Magic Circuits, it affects the magic it comes in contact with all the way down to the user's Circuits. So even if Tracer doesn't have Circuits, one could argue that it would disrupt the 'magic' around her. Possibly killing her as it makes that energy go wild.

Alternately, you could argue that when Kirutsugu shot Kotomine it didn't destroy his Circuits because he was using a Command Seal to power his spell. The bullet dissipated the Seal, but left Kotomine unharmed.

It'd be hard to judge since Natsu-verse mechanics are hard to pinpoint at times.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes because they gave Sonya guns, but not Cammy. And they called out Sonya punching an anvil in a bonus stage. Yet Cammy's tanked hits from people who can shatter blast doors capable of withstanding nuclear explosions.

25. - Top - End - #295

Devil

for those talking about Kiritsugu, please remember that the thing that gives him a healing ability only works when Saber is near by, which was a fairly major plot point in both F/SN: zero and regular F/SN.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Yes because they gave Sonya guns, but not Cammy. And they called out Sonya punching an anvil in a bonus stage. Yet Cammy's tanked hits from people who can shatter blast doors capable of withstanding nuclear explosions.
    I'd say there was a lack of research done, but this is Death Battle. We only expected as much research as goes into DBX matches.

for those talking about Kiritsugu, please remember that the thing that gives him a healing ability only works when Saber is near by, which was a fairly major plot point in both F/SN: zero and regular F/SN.
    No, he just needs a link to Saber IIRC, and even then it doesn't stop working if she's not there, it just theoretically becomes worthless in combat. Although Archer was surprised at how fast Shiro healed during their duel.

Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

So... I guess some time manipulator makes sense. But which one? Homura Akemi? Dio? Hiro Nakamura? Okay, the list is long and I'm not enough into recent games which are more likely... Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #298
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Looking at the suggestions here, I really hope they do not go for the time theme. Not because I would not love to see those characters but because I am afraid the result would be totally arbitrary. Time manipulation is such a strong ability that it allows whomever uses it to punch way above their league. Most time manipulators in fiction are normal or close to normal people who can keep up with superpowered characters due to their one ability. Take that away and they would lose immediately. A Death Battle between two time manipulators would therefore come down to an arbitrary decision on whose magic trumps the other's.

What else could they be going for? Scout from TF2 was suggested and is a good fit as he is from a similar game, fits a similar role, and has a similar personality. Or maybe a female poster girl of a fast paced video game? There's actually plenty these days. Maybe someone dark and brooding to contrast with Tracer's personality.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

With all the discussion going on, I can only think that Tracer'll end up fighting Sakyua from Touhou.

(Though honestly, I hope not. It'll be such a stomp.)

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'll come back in two or three weeks and see who's next, as the last death battle that featured anyone who I even remotely care about was Jak v Ratchet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.