New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle II - I don't THINK Gara got robbed I KNOW he did.

At this point, I just don't think I can find Death Battle entertaining any more.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lets see...

Time :

Prince of Persia from ~
    Unnamed Protagonist from TimeShift
    Ekko from League of Legends (Has no practical display of feats outside of the one video)
    Corvo from Dishonoured
    Cortez from TimeSplitters (Would be very strange, as he can only go in predetermined loops.)
    And a bunch of characters with godlike power that happen to include Time... Hmm. Lets try for the other option.

Fast :

Scoot from Team Fortress 2
    ...Uh.
    Any of the Warframes from Warframe? (Although, you'd be mopping Tracer's blood up for a while.)

... I can't think of many things that are just about being faster than the other competitors around them without it being really strange. Maybe they should probably just match her against some other ACTION! Guy/Girl rather than try for a themed matchup?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Lets see...

Time :

Prince of Persia from ~
    Unnamed Protagonist from TimeShift
    Ekko from League of Legends (Has no practical display of feats outside of the one video)
    Corvo from Dishonoured
    Cortez from TimeSplitters (Would be very strange, as he can only go in predetermined loops.)
    And a bunch of characters with godlike power that happen to include Time... Hmm. Lets try for the other option.
    There are a couple more, Emiya Kiritsugu from Fate Zero, Homura from Madoka Magica, and Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizzare adventure spring to mind. The problem with time powers is that, depending on how the writer uses them, they can vary wildly in power, of the three I've listed their power runs approximately Kiritsugu->Dio->Homura.

Fast :

Scoot from Team Fortress 2
    ...Uh.
    Any of the Warframes from Warframe? (Although, you'd be mopping Tracer's blood up for a while.)

... I can't think of many things that are just about being faster than the other competitors around them without it being really strange. Maybe they should probably just match her against some other ACTION! Guy/Girl rather than try for a themed matchup?
    Eh, there's a variety of characters with at least mild super speed. We obviously don't want anybody at Flash levels here, but Spiderman might be fast and strong enough to stand a chance, as might Dante or Bayonetta (although I don't think we'll see them for a while). Low-level super speed is almost as common a unintentional bonus when characters are given powers, so we can put most Fighting anime protagonists down as a possibilities. The problem with identifying it is that there's a temptation to give everyone some super speed, so it basically isn't worthwhile.

I could see them using someone like Luffy, who has decent speed and an ability to no-sell various attacks. The reason I latched onto time powers is it's the easiest way to make a 'theme', which seems to be what Death Battle is about more than the results and poor logic. I think if it's not going to be based around time then it's probably the Scout from Team Fortress 2, because as far as I can tell they have a similar role to Tracer.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground

DIO would win no contest. He has two incredibly unfair edges:

• He is a vampire, which makes him immune to the average attack. Only someone who has mastered Hamon can harm a vampire, unless DIO is exposed to sunlight.
    • Only a Stand user can see and hit another Stand. Tracer would not be able to see where attacks were coming from.

The fight pretty much goes Ready, set, go! - ZA WARUDO! - five seconds of horrible murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    There are a couple more, Emiya Kiritsugu from Fate Zero, Homura from Madoka Magica, and Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizzare adventure spring to mind. The problem with time powers is that, depending on how the writer uses them, they can vary wildly in power, of the three I've listed their power runs approximately Kiritsugu->Dio->Homura.
    There's probably lots more!

I just tried to think of characters that I knew were associated with Time Powers (tm).

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Eh, there's a variety of characters with at least mild super speed. We obviously don't want anybody at Flash levels here, but Spiderman might be fast and strong enough to stand a chance, as might Dante or Bayonetta (although I don't think we'll see them for a while). Low-level super speed is almost as common a unintentional bonus when characters are given powers, so we can put most Fighting anime protagonists down as a possibilities. The problem with identifying it is that there's a temptation to give everyone some super speed, so it basically isn't worthwhile.

I could see them using someone like Luffy, who has decent speed and an ability to no-sell various attacks. The reason I latched onto time powers is it's the easiest way to make a 'theme', which seems to be what Death Battle is about more than the results and poor logic. I think if it's not going to be based around time then it's probably the Scout from Team Fortress 2, because as far as I can tell they have a similar role to Tracer.
    The problem with the superhero-style where they have extra speed as an additional benefit is that aside from being quick/teleport dash and the ability to short-rewind, Tracer's just a normal person with quasi-future SMGs. Anyone with powers is probably going to kill her unless they aren't resistant to bullets or able to dodge being shot. In which case Gun > Skill.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One thing that counts in the Scout's favor as an opponent is his BONK! energy drink as that makes him invulnerable for 6-8 seconds. In other words, the same amount of time that Tracer can rewind. I could totally see an ending where the Scout chugs a BONK! and just goes all out reckless, getting in some good hits with the bat, and showboating it, only for Tracer to vanish and reappear right behind him for the killshot.

Because, yeah, in Scout vs. Tracer, I'm leaning Tracer. The Scout is just too much of a showoff against an opponent with an undo button.

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    I could totally see an ending where the Scout chugs a BONK! and just goes all out reckless, getting in some good hits with the bat
    BONK! renders the user invulnerable, but also unable to attack.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    BONK! renders the user invulnerable, but also unable to attack.
    Ah, it's been a while since I last TF2'd, so I forgot. Sorry. Can he taunt-kill while BONK'd?

It's kind of difficult to think of a really awesome opponent for Tracer, though. She has a good gimmick, but one very susceptible to a hard counter. So she either wins easily, or comes up against someone who takes her down hard. Doesn't even need to be someone who's as fast as her, just someone who can force her to rewind and pick up on what it does. Look at what Widowmaker does in the short. She forces a rewind out of Tracer and uses that to take down her target. Anyone good enough can do something like that.

You know, Batman would be an interesting opponent. But he's been there twice and has very little thematic reason to fight her. I kind of want to see Terry McGinnis, aka the Batman of Batman Beyond used in a Death Battle at some point... but while the fight would be interesting, I don't see a thematic link to use for this fight. Spider-Man would be more thematic, or maybe Spider-Gwen, you know, due to Widowmaker's spider stylings, but... still kind of weak.

Not that, say Raiden vs. Wolverine was all that thematic. That was just "Infinitely sharp sword vs. infinitely durable metal". Wolverine isn't much of a cyborg or a ninja, after all. Well, maybe a little ninja, in a multiple choice backstory somewhere.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe instead of the time aspect, we should look at people who can do 'blinks'? IE, micro teleports? Nightcrawler almost works, but his is too strong, with too much distance and the ability to bring people with him.

Ekko from LoL would actually be a pretty good match up I think. But let me throw a weird suggestion at you, Sans from Undertale. He can sorta teleport, he certainly can teleport others, and he's used to fighting people who can reset time.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #310

Ah, it's been a while since I last TF2'd, so I forgot. Sorry. Can he taunt-kill while BONK'd?

It's kind of difficult to think of a really awesome opponent for Tracer, though. She has a good gimmick, but one very susceptible to a hard counter. So she either wins easily, or comes up against someone who takes her down hard. Doesn't even need to be someone who's as fast as her, just someone who can force her to rewind and pick up on what it does. Look at what Widowmaker does in the short. She forces a rewind out of Tracer and uses that to take down her target. Anyone good enough can do something like that.

You know, Batman would be an interesting opponent. But he's been there twice and has very little thematic reason to fight her. I kind of want to see Terry McGinnis, aka the Batman of Batman Beyond used in a Death Battle at some point... but while the fight would be interesting, I don't see a thematic link to use for this fight. Spider-Man would be more thematic, or maybe Spider-Gwen, you know, due to Widowmaker's spider stylings, but... still kind of weak.

Not that, say Raiden vs. Wolverine was all that thematic. That was just "Infinitely sharp sword vs. infinitely durable metal". Wolverine isn't much of a cyborg or a ninja, after all. Well, maybe a little ninja, in a multiple choice backstory somewhere.

I dont think Terry has much going for him really. He has minimal training in martial arts and such. His only real edge is his fancy suit. I liked the cartoon, dont get me wrong, but he is a watered down batman at best. Unless there was a comic run or something im not aware of.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Maybe instead of the time aspect, we should look at people who can do 'blinks'? IE, micro teleports?
    This happens a lot in various shonens.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

This happens a lot in various shonens.
    Okay, but how about more as their main shtick? The Flash Step trope usually has many or most characters in the setting as being capable of it.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #313

Well if you take bleach as an example right off the top, yeah technically virtually anyone CAN do it, but only a few are famous for it because they are really really good at it. Same for naruto. Its theoretically a technique anyone can use, but only a few make true use of that, or other speed based fighting styles. As an example, way back early on, Haku uses it during her fight with sasuke, but sasuke even as a genin without his bloodline active, was able to block her attack. However, towards the end of the series we only see a couple working the blink attack strategy, (as I like to call it) people who are ultra fast like the raikage, naruto, I think sasuke gets a teleport skill just before the big final battle thing starts.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well if you take bleach as an example right off the top, yeah technically virtually anyone CAN do it, but only a few are famous for it because they are really really good at it. Same for naruto. Its theoretically a technique anyone can use, but only a few make true use of that, or other speed based fighting styles. As an example, way back early on, Haku uses it during her fight with sasuke, but sasuke even as a genin without his bloodline active, was able to block her attack. However, towards the end of the series we only see a couple working the blink attack strategy, (as I like to call it) people who are ultra fast like the raikage, naruto, I think sasuke gets a teleport skill just before the big final battle thing starts.
    I thought about Bleach and Naruto, but even genin Sasuke without his Sharingan would destroy "regular person with a gun" with the substitution jutsu.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #315

I thought about Bleach and Naruto, but even genin Sasuke without his Sharingan would destroy "regular person with a gun" with the substitution jutsu.
    I dunno if nonsharingan sasuke could dodge bullets, its honestly hard to say as they dont exactly give us exact measurements on abilities throughout the series. Normally I would say no as he is shown mostly dodging things being physically thrown like knives and needles, but these are being thrown by fairly superhuman types in general so its not like ME throwing a knife.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's more a problem of, if you CAN do it, you're also capable of a boatload of other things, that'll make the fight a stomp. Naruto, Bleach and even the Negi-verse (UQ Holder and Mahou Sensei Negima) are all really high power once you get to flash stepping.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

17. - Top - End - #317

I dunno if nonsharingan sasuke could dodge bullets, its honestly hard to say as they dont exactly give us exact measurements on abilities throughout the series. Normally I would say no as he is shown mostly dodging things being physically thrown like knives and needles, but these are being thrown by fairly superhuman types in general so its not like ME throwing a knife.
    Sasuke definitely couldn't dodge a bullet after it was fired, but before you can shoot someone, you have to point the gun at them. A ninja that can move quicker than the eye, or cover up his movement somehow (substitution jutsu, genjutsu, smoke bomb?) is hard to shoot because it's hard to aim at the place he actually is.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #318

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I think it's more a problem of, if you CAN do it, you're also capable of a boatload of other things, that'll make the fight a stomp. Naruto, Bleach and even the Negi-verse (UQ Holder and Mahou Sensei Negima) are all really high power once you get to flash stepping.
    Heh, yeah true, naruto capable of flash stepping is also capable of obliterating mountain ranges. Same for ichigo. And while im not familiar with negima really, I know enough to understand that thousand thunderbolts sounds like it might suck to be hit by.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

How about vs Bayonetta, with a strong emphasis on Witchtime?

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: And in the blue corner...
    Show
    TF2's Scout.

Which means this fight is likely going to be VERY boring, sadly. Tracer's time ability to hop back in time and reverse her wounds means the only chance Scout has is to one-shot her. Which, I mean, is possible, Scout's primaries, especially the Force-a-Nature, can annihilate soft targets. But the odds of getting that ONE perfect shot, when Tracer can wear him down even with Scout being able to heal over time with the Mad Milk? Not very likely.

This is something that's really starting to irk me this season-- there's been VERY few fights that have been close. I mean, there was Dante vs. Bayonetta, the RvB fight, and Joker vs. Sweet Tooth, but everything else has been an ugly, ugly stomp.
    Last edited by ChillerInstinct; 2016-08-19 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerInstinct View Post
    Show
    TF2's Scout.

Which means this fight is likely going to be VERY boring, sadly. Tracer's time ability to hop back in time and reverse her wounds means the only chance Scout has is to one-shot her. Which, I mean, is possible, Scout's primaries, especially the Force-a-Nature, can annihilate soft targets. But the odds of getting that ONE perfect shot, when Tracer can wear him down even with Scout being able to heal over time with the Mad Milk? Not very likely.

This is something that's really starting to irk me this season-- there's been VERY few fights that have been close. I mean, there was Dante vs. Bayonetta, the RvB fight, and Joker vs. Sweet Tooth, but everything else has been an ugly, ugly stomp.
    Honestly, I felt they forced the joker fight to be closer than it should have been. But yeah, I agree, a surprising number of stomp fests. Especially the flash fight. There was just no excuse for that matchup, the basic tale of the tape said it right out, flash was so far above him it would be like putting a 6 year old in a boxing ring with batman. You dont need to have the fight take place to know how it ends.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

They'll give Scout some BS loadout that specifically counters Tracer and also claim that the Tracer player's keyboard is broken or something.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerInstinct View Post
    Show
    TF2's Scout.

I take it you mean the BLU corner?

Honestly, I'm gonna go with a complete wild guess on the winner here, just because it would amuse me greatly. The winner of the battle will be... The Spy!

I mean, Metal Sonic won Dr. Eggman vs. Dr. Wily, so... And it would be totally in character for the Spy to killsteal someone else's Death Battle.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I take it you mean the BLU corner?

Honestly, I'm gonna go with a complete wild guess on the winner here, just because it would amuse me greatly. The winner of the battle will be... The Spy!

I mean, Metal Sonic won Dr. Eggman vs. Dr. Wily, so... And it would be totally in character for the Spy to killsteal someone else's Death Battle.
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't bite my tongue on that pun for the sake of the spoiler. :P

I was thinking this morning if there was any other way the Scout could win this. There is, but it's such a longshot (in more ways than one) that I doubt it'll be the deciding factor: The Sandman.

In theory, if Scout beans Tracer, she'll be unable to activate Recall, giving him up to 7 seconds to kill her-- a feat well within his abilities from a gameplay perspective (since he can take down Heavies in that timeframe, no problem), but I can't help but feel it'd be a stretch.

I suppose Crit-A-Cola might tip the scales a bit too, since that's 33% more damage per hit and making it more likely Scout breaks that one-hit-kill threshold, but I'm not holding my breath on that either, especially since that makes him more vulnerable as well, a weakness that Tracer should be able to capitalize on with her superior range.

As someone who loves TF2 and Overwatch, my thoughts are still "not like this". I'd much sooner have had Demoman vs. Junkrat or Zarya vs. Heavy as the inevitable TF2 vs. Overwatch Death Battle.
    Last edited by ChillerInstinct; 2016-08-20 at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm still going to go with Spy as the winner. Death Battle has long since abandoned the hard rule of no outside interference, they just usually don't. Just to have a moment where Tracer's time gizmo just fails, quick cut to show a sapper stuck to it on her back, and boom. Scout high-fives Spy, turns to look at what's left... Spy changes color and STAB. Cue TF2 jingle and the battle actually ends.

I sincerely doubt they'll do that, but it would be hilarious if pulled off right.

26. - Top - End - #326

Next time on Death Battle! Conan versus Olgaf! Which barbarian is the greatest? (Oglaf is very nsfw, dont search for info until its safe and/or legal for you to do so)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Next time on Death Battle! Conan versus Olgaf! Which barbarian is the greatest? (Oglaf is very nsfw, dont search for info until its safe and/or legal for you to do so)
    Wait. Wait wait wait... Oglaf is an actual character? *googles* THAT is Oglaf? That makes no sense....

Of course, Oglaf would destroy Conan with his... powers. But are you sure you're not thinking of Kronar?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Wait. Wait wait wait... Oglaf is an actual character? *googles* THAT is Oglaf? That makes no sense....

Of course, Oglaf would destroy Conan with his... powers. But are you sure you're not thinking of Kronar?
    Ooops, I was, sorry. I thought the barbarian was the namesake of the comic for some reason.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So, while we're wating for Tracer to curbstomp Scout into the gravel, how about a side bet?
    What do you think about a DB between Big Boss (Metal Gear series) vs. Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)?
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    What do you think about a DB between Big Boss (Metal Gear series) vs. Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)?
    I would say Big Boss. For all of Jensen's gear, he fights enemies such as "man with gun" and "man with grenade launcher." Everyone in Metal Gear is some kind of supersoldier cyborg ninja viking, and you don't get to be Big Boss in a world like that without being ridiculous.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective