New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle II - I don't THINK Gara got robbed I KNOW he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Superman would be smart enough to aim away from any celestial bodies.
    Or just stop him stable orbit around the moon. I wonder if he would just hurl him into the sun, would that work? Superman could take him there personally just to make sure.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #362

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Or just stop him stable orbit around the moon. I wonder if he would just hurl him into the sun, would that work? Superman could take him there personally just to make sure.
    I wouldn't risk it - who knows if Saitama is strong enough to jump off the sun? He might be, for all we know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #363
    Banned

I wouldn't risk it - who knows if Saitama is strong enough to jump off the sun? He might be, for all we know.
    That...it doesn't...you can't....there's nowhere to....

Sigh.

4. - Top - End - #364

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post

Sigh.
    Of course you can! The sun has gravity right? Therefore it is pulling you down to something right? Therefore when you reach equilibrium, you jump up and fly back to earth! SCIENCE!!!!

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

That...it doesn't...you can't....
    Yeah, that sounds like Saitama.

But then squirrel girl would show up and beat superman to death in the usual way and that would be the end of that.
    In a fight between Squirrel Girl and Saitama, Squirrel Girl would win. She wouldn't be able to KO Saitama (they both run on comedy rules, so neither can do something that ruins the other's gag), but she could humiliate him and/or force him to surrender before it ever reaches the point where he tries to punch her. If he did try to punch her, he'd just trip over a squirrel and accidentally tunnel himself to Australia or something.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Yeah, that sounds like Saitama.

In a fight between Squirrel Girl and Saitama, Squirrel Girl would win. She wouldn't be able to KO Saitama (they both run on comedy rules, so neither can do something that ruins the other's gag), but she could humiliate him and/or force him to surrender before it ever reaches the point where he tries to punch her. If he did try to punch her, he'd just trip over a squirrel and accidentally tunnel himself to Australia or something.
    Remember he was once "defeated" by a mosquito!
    Saying that X isn't overpowered because it can be countered in contrived manner Y does not prove that it isn't overpowered. You've proved that it has weaknesses. Congratulations. The state of being overpowered, however, is not an absence of weaknesses but a surplus of strength beyond what would be commiserate with your weaknesses.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Considering superman just has to hurl saitama in space then go get dinner, I have to say the winner is fairly obvious.
    Assuming he can A) grab Saitama and B) hold onto him long enough to throw him. Part of the problem is that, while Superman has an insane flying speed, he seems to physically move at least a few orders of magnitude slower, and we know Saitama can move fast enough to make hundreds of speed clones.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #368

Sigh.
    Does Saitama know that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #369
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: New battle: Ken vs. Terry
    Show

Someone there really doesn't like Street Fighter, eh?
    Out of 8 battles with SF characters, there are only 3 wins. One of them due to Pikachu being way out of his weight class

Spoiler: Next time...
    Show

Amy Rose vs. ???
    Any ideas, y'all?
    I remember a OMM/DBX of Amy vs. King Dedede. Do you think they'll try to make it into a DB?
    Maybe Peach will come back for a pink princess pummeling.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Spoiler: New battle: Ken vs. Terry
    Show

Someone there really doesn't like Street Fighter, eh?
    Out of 8 battles with SF characters, there are only 3 wins. One of them due to Pikachu being way out of his weight class

Spoiler: Next time...
    Show

Amy Rose vs. ???
    Any ideas, y'all?
    I remember a OMM/DBX of Amy vs. King Dedede. Do you think they'll try to make it into a DB?
    Maybe Peach will come back for a pink princess pummeling.
    Street fighter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pfft, pikachu got robbed, dude has shown he can beat up living rock that is utterly immune to electric attacks and outweigh him a thousand to 1. Blanka should have been charred to ashes. As for this fight, eh, it makes sense the way they describe it. Terry has just fought way more hardcore opponents

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

All I know is, I want to read this crossover. How can we make this happen?
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Ken Vs. Terry Results
    Show
    Meh. I didn't really know squat about either of these two going in-- only Street Fighter I've really played is 4 with a couple of rounds of 2, and Ken really doesn't pull off amazing feats in either, and I've never touched KoF. But when I heard that Terry had fought ARES (the freaking god of war) and lived, I knew Ken was going home in a box. Compared to Ken's lack of particularly AMAZING feats, it's yet another no contest brawl in a season that's really getting lousy with them.

What is it with fighting games and really absurd feats, anyway? I mean, Sol vapourized a giant mecha and can get KO'd by some pirate girl with an anchor. Terry can stand toe-to-toe with the literal god of war and live. Ryu can stop waterfalls with fireballs...

I mean, I get it, rule of cool and all that, but fighting games are REALLY weird about this. Especially gameplay dissonance, where I can, in theory, KO Sol Badguy in his Gear form with a little girl and a giant anchor. Fighting games be crazy, yo.

Spoiler: In the red corner...
    Show
    Amy, huh? The Sonic series is one of those weird ones to try to make VS. matches with. It's in one of those tiers that, against most opponents, will stomp all "normal" comers, but will lose horrifically the second they go against a series with stronger ones. (looking at you, Shadow)

Ben tweeted a teaser about who the opponent would be... a picture of some sort of wood. Huh.

A lot of the speculation comes down to three camps: Nora from RWBY (apparently some people think the wood is oak, which is Thor's tree, and Nora's basically a female Thor, not to mention similar weapons and colour schemes), Sakura from Naruto, and King Dedede from Kirby.

And GOD, do I hope it's none of them. It'd be another trip to Stomp City, one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Saitama doesn't run on comedy rules, he runs on the tears of people who dislike him.

Spoiler: latest match
    Show

Not too much to say... don't care much for either fighter so I was fine with whatever.

Amy vs... a hammer wielder I guess makes sense but... a piece of wood? On the other hand, maybe another stalker-character? Sakura might qualify somewhat... but that would be pretty harsh on Amy. I can't really think of another good opponent right away... someone... pink?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Saitama doesn't run on comedy rules, he runs on the tears of people who dislike him.

Spoiler: latest match
    Show

Not too much to say... don't care much for either fighter so I was fine with whatever.

Amy vs... a hammer wielder I guess makes sense but... a piece of wood? On the other hand, maybe another stalker-character? Sakura might qualify somewhat... but that would be pretty harsh on Amy. I can't really think of another good opponent right away... someone... pink?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sakura Haruno. The physically destructive medic ninja queen of the naruto verse. Who still manages to be mostly useless in a fight when compared to her complete and utter monster teammates. Seriously, someone get that &^%$ a cannon. *&^%* love cannons. And she needs a way to fight things out of punching range.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    True. Him Vs. Boros was completely serious and about how sad it was that despite it being the strongest opponent Saitama ever found.....he still was only taken out in three punches. while Ocean King's entire schtick was that he was just strong enough to defeat all the other heroes who defended against him easily but still gets one-shotted by Saitama, and how this affects peoples perceptions of heroes who have no objective measurement of strength and thus can make conclusions like all the other heroes being weak and not worthwhile.

If Saitama fought Squirrel Girl......ooooooh. she is kinda bestial, has a tail. Saitama will spare human opponents, but the one wasp/mosquito girl he fought? killed without batting an eye. If Saitama fought her, it would just end in a lot of dead squirrels. and if he thinks the squirrel tail counts enough to make her a monster, she will be dead within seconds. considering that Squirrel girl may be similar enough to the mosquito/wasp girl.....who knows.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: AND IN THE BLUE CORNER...
    Show
    Or rather, blue-haired corner...

Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

...Which reminds me, I really need to get around to reading that series.
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Banned

Really? I might have to watch the next episode then.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Banned

Superman would be smart enough to aim away from any celestial bodies.
    Every trajectory intersects some celestial body somewhere. The question is whether it's close enough to be relevant

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerInstinct View Post
    Spoiler: AND IN THE BLUE CORNER...
    Show
    Or rather, blue-haired corner...

Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

...Which reminds me, I really need to get around to reading that series.
    I'm interested, by which I mean completely and utterly uninterested.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ramona is actually going to be hard to judge, as IIRC she had one fight (maybe two? I need to get that comic and read it properly). I do hope that they go for the comic version over the film version, as the comic just seemed to have everybody be slightly more competent, but as it is I feel it's time to start taking bets on what sort of bull**** they'll use.

I put 1:3 odds on them bringing up that the film has her melt snow by rollerblading.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #380
    Orc in the Playground

With regards to Saitama getting thrown into space, consider that he could just remove some element of his costume and throw it away from himself as hard as possible to generate enough thrust to get back to Earth.

As for the upcoming match... I'm not certain if DB has ever matched up characters with such a large disparity in the amount of source material they appear in. Ramona has only appeared in a six volume comic series, and a film and video game which cover essentially the same material (might be wrong about the game though, as I've never played that myself). Amy, however, has appeared in dozens of different games, as well as in animation and comics. That gives her a huge advantage with DB's tendency to base a character's power off of one-off feats from a single interpretation of the given character.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

All I know is, if her hammer's +2 bonus against girls isn't referenced, I will be disappointed.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Saitama's also performed a feat I'm not certain Superman has, and that's punching hard enough to split the sky (episode 12 of the anime or volume 7 of the manga), while Superman has performed several feats that Saitama hasn't. Saitama might also be faster than Superman is, while being less indestructible (Superman doesn't dodge edged attack anywhere near as much as Saitama does). What we know is that both have theoretically infinite strength, both are effectively immune to blunt damage (and Superman to most damage), and both have moved faster than the speed of light. While Superman can fly and breath in space, Saitama's speed and strength can in theory allow him to keep Superman in the atmosphere. Saitama's also shown enough resistance to fire that Heat Vision may not even phase him.

You can gauge Saitama vs. Superman from the asteroid episode.

Saitama was able to punch the asteroid hard enough to shatter it and rob it of most of its momentum.

Superman could have moved the Earth out of the way and put it back afterwards.

Saitama is strong in his own universe but his power level is nowhere near high end DC levels. (Also no, his power is explicitly not "defeat anything in a single punch", but what it actually is relies on webcomic spoilers.)

It doesn't help that within the context of OPM most of the other heroes are actually scrubs, even the S class ones. The only one other than Saitama who's actually shown the kind of power that would get you noticed in something like the DCU is Tatsumaki.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2016-10-03 at 02:24 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So, can any one proficient in Sonic lore explain some achievements for Amy Rose?
    The only things I know about her are:
    • She has a hammer that can disappear Elsewhere when not in use.
    • She's Sonic's self-proclaimed girlfriend.
    • According to Sonic Heroes, she's faster than Big the cat.
    • She has a very annoying yet catchy theme tune.

Anything else I should know?
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

I only really know Amy from watching a Let's Play of Sonic games, but she's got more flexible cartoon physics on her side and has to be somewhat interchangeable with the other Sonic characters due to game mechanics.

Not that Scott Pilgrim is so much for the gritty realism, but Ramona's just kind of fantastically cool rather than magnificently awesome on the scale of meaningless descriptions.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Trying to think of some canon feats for Amy that they might end up using. Never really watched Sonic X or read the comics so there's likely some serious accomplishments there, but going strictly by the games...?

There was the robot chasing her in Sonic Adventure 1, she SOMEHOW got onto a military base on her own in SA2 (and broke INTO the base, though that was mostly Tails' doing)... don't know which parts of Team Rose's story are canon in Heroes, though she at least HELPED against Metal Overlord (who, as DB has previously confirmed, is a total beast)... and she was playable in the Sonic Advance games though I know jack squat about those. She also apparently stopped Silver from killing Sonic and rescued Princess Elise (off-screen) in '06, so that's got to count for something too.

On the other hand, she's also played Damsel in Distress more than a few times, even in recent installments, so that's likely a point against her, and she's also one of the slower members in the Sonic universe. Also, going strictly by the games, her feats are... inconsistent. Ben mentioned he's wanted to do this fight for a while, and I imagine this is one of the reasons it's taken so long; there's not too much material on Ramona and Amy's is kind of hard to get a base line for.

I think this is going to be one of those fights that I don't really have much invested in and will just hope for a fun fight.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    So, can any one proficient in Sonic lore explain some achievements for Amy Rose?
    The only things I know about her are:
    • She has a hammer that can disappear Elsewhere when not in use.
    • She's Sonic's self-proclaimed girlfriend.
    • According to Sonic Heroes, she's faster than Big the cat.
    • She has a very annoying yet catchy theme tune.

Anything else I should know?
    It's been... 6? years since I've done any major Sonic-ing, but a bit of trivia I'd expect DB to use is that she's apparently skilled at foretunetelling with Tarot cards in her first appearence (I can't remember what the name of that game was though...) which is upgraded to cursing enemies in the Chronicles RPG. Also, she's capable of aproximations of Sonic's signature moves (spin, spin jump, and dashing then automatically curling instead of spindashing) in the Advance series, but rarely uses them for some reason. She's also fairly slow in the Advance series, but is usually classed as a speed specialist elsewhere from what I remember.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    You can gauge Saitama vs. Superman from the asteroid episode.

Saitama was able to punch the asteroid hard enough to shatter it and rob it of most of its momentum.

Superman could have moved the Earth out of the way and put it back afterwards.
    Eh, Superman also has a broader powerset than Saitama does, so it's not 100% certain. I agree that Superman probably has the edge, I'm just not 100% sure what that edge is.

Saitama is strong in his own universe but his power level is nowhere near high end DC levels. (Also no, his power is explicitly not "defeat anything in a single punch", but what it actually is relies on webcomic spoilers.)
    Yeah, I should probably actually read the webcomic. Any good translations out there?

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, as far as I understand, Saitama's power is essentially 'has no upper bounds to his strength' or something like that? I did do a bit more research since I made that post, but still haven't actually read the webcomic.

It doesn't help that within the context of OPM most of the other heroes are actually scrubs, even the S class ones. The only one other than Saitama who's actually shown the kind of power that would get you noticed in something like the DCU is Tatsumaki.
    I might be having problems here because I'm far more used to Marvel, where people like Genos and Bang would have the right sort of power level, or Hellblazer (where any of the OPM superheroes bar Mumen Rider would be better than Constantine). I think people like Genos and Bang would get noticed by the DCU in the same way people like Batman and Green Arrow could be, although without the gadgets in Bang's case, but I can't say for certain.

Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

About Saitama vs Superman: Any Death-Battle style fight involving Supes comes down to one question: Does Superman know the attack is coming? Because if he does, he wins. He can move in a fraction of a picosecond, (literally the smallest measurement of time known to man.) He has the power to vaporize the hardest materials with a punch. He can no-sell moves that will kill even super-powerhouses. The only way to kill Superman is to somehow get his DNA without his knowledge (and since he can hear whispers from across a state, best of luck with that) and perform a ritual to kill him from a distance and prey that that it takes effect instantaneously because if it even takes two seconds to kill him, he can literally check everywhere on Earth to find you and stop the ceremony.

tr;dr: Superman=calvinball levels of excuses of why he's unkillable.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

About Saitama vs Superman: Any Death-Battle style fight involving Supes comes down to one question: Does Superman know the attack is coming? Because if he does, he wins. He can move in a fraction of a picosecond, (literally the smallest measurement of time known to man.)
    The problem here is that Saitama is also at an insanely high level when it comes to speed and reactions, while it's probably not quite as fast as Superman's it's likely in the region where he can meaningfully react to Superman (and, as far as we know, Superman has no way to hurt Saitama so it's not 100% certain the fight could end). Now I don't know the full extent of Saitama's abilities, as I haven't read the webcomic, but any argument to do with speed has to deal with the fact that, when he's serious, Caped Baldy can move at speeds fast enough to create at least thousands of speed clones (I can't say the exact speed, but his reaction speed is in at least a few thousand per second [reacts in under a millisecond, so still a million slower than Superman], possibly a lot faster as it's implied that even with his 'serious series's he has plenty of power to spare).

Would Superman end up winning? I'd say there's a two-thirds probability he would until we know Caped Baldy's limit (which he may or may not have), but it's not clear cut because Caped Baldy, at least at the moment, also runs on 'as strong as he needs to be', and he could certainly tank Superman's 'normal' output as both of them are explicitly said to hold back most of their power when operating normally.

I admit I'm probably biased here, as Saitama's status as 'an ordinary man who became great' is a lot more interesting to me than Superman's 'god living amongst men' and I also find Saitama more believable as a hero, even though I can't say exactly why. But I still say it isn't as clear cut as it should be until we get a sense of Saitama's limits (his only weaknesses seem to be HAX regeneration and possibly sharp things [it's not clear on this one]). Also, unlike Superman Saitama does run on any sort of power reserve, so you have to ask 'can Saitama tank all the power Superman can/has store(d)' (maybe, depending on the attack itself and Saitama's exact limits [I'm not certain we've seen him actually hurt yet]).

Show

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ~Saitama vs Superman talk~

I admit I'm probably biased here, as Saitama's status as 'an ordinary man who became great' is a lot more interesting to me than Superman's 'god living amongst men' and I also find Saitama more believable as a hero, even though I can't say exactly why.
    It's because Saitama earned his power (even if it's exaggerated to ludicrous degrees), and Superman tends to written as Space-Jesus, which ridiculous considering he was written by two Jews as an immigrant analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.