New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle II - I don't THINK Gara got robbed I KNOW he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    The animator for that one says that ScrewAttack commissioned them after being impressed by some of their past work, and had no input into how it turned out (no one on the team even knew who Sakuya was).

Also, that the video was originally planned to have Dio get decapitated and continue fighting as a head.
    On one hand, while it'd be funny to have Dio fighting as a head, I suppose it'd be a bit too brutal. As is, it's still one of the most violent fights from OMM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Same I loved that one, I think I have forced more people to watch it than just about anything other than Hellsing Abridged. I especially liked that a fight between two people with time manipulation played with the one minute fight premise.
    Yeah. The ending is fantastic. At the final second, time freezes completely so you can't figure out who the winner is by looking at who takes the attack in the final five seconds. Even better, they tease us with Dio's ZA WARUDO as a finisher... but nope!

I could gush about that fight forever.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    I don't think they'll go this route, but interestingly enough...

Spoiler
    Show
    Both clowns have had a brief episode of omnipotence at some point in their psychotic careers.

Joker once got the majority of Mxyzsptlk's power and used it to create his own world. Sweet Tooth once got all of Calypso's wish-granting power and replaced him as the main villain of Twisted Metal for a game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Joker also briefly also had the reality-breaking powers of The Mask
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    We have done a lot of griping and moaning about how badly screw attack keeps messing fights up, what about the opposite? Is there any fight that you think was really well done? Not just because your horse won the race, but because they did a really good job of doing the research and comparisons and came to a good conclusion?
    I know I was being pretty salty about Flash vs. Quicksilver, but for the most part I really DO like the show. Usually, even on the times where I don't necessarily agree with the outcome, they make a compelling enough argument in the rundown.

Season 2 was FULL of great fights, for instance. If I had to pick an absolute favourite it'd probably be Deadpool vs. Deathstroke, because they just NAILED almost everything about it. Snake vs. Sam Fisher and Iron Man vs. Lex Luthor are also amazing. On the sprite battle side of things... Mega Man vs. Astro Boy was fantastic even in spite of it being an ungodly stomp (which is why I'm even MORE disappointed in Flash vs. Quicksilver, because that fight was proof that they can make even the ugliest of stomps interesting), and Hercule Satan vs. Dan Hibiki was a real treat.

And yeah, while it's not a Death Battle, Sakuya vs. Dio is one of the best battles I've ever seen. Truly a masterpiece. Really, most of OMM's sprite battles are drop-dead gorgeous (not a fan of their 3D stuff, DB has them beat by a country mile in that department).
    Last edited by ChillerInstinct; 2016-06-07 at 12:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerInstinct View Post
    I know I was being pretty salty about Flash vs. Quicksilver, but for the most part I really DO like the show. Usually, even on the times where I don't necessarily agree with the outcome, they make a compelling enough argument in the rundown.

Season 2 was FULL of great fights, for instance. If I had to pick an absolute favourite it'd probably be Deadpool vs. Deathstroke, because they just NAILED almost everything about it. Snake vs. Sam Fisher and Iron Man vs. Lex Luthor are also amazing. On the sprite battle side of things... Mega Man vs. Astro Boy was fantastic even in spite of it being an ungodly stomp (which is why I'm even MORE disappointed in Flash vs. Quicksilver, because that fight was proof that they can make even the ugliest of stomps interesting), and Hercule Satan vs. Dan Hibiki was a real treat.

And yeah, while it's not a Death Battle, Sakuya vs. Dio is one of the best battles I've ever seen. Truly a masterpiece. Really, most of OMM's sprite battles are drop-dead gorgeous (not a fan of their 3D stuff, DB has them beat by a country mile in that department).

I agree with your choices there. the fights were great in general and I think they were researched and judged fairly so the eventual victor made sense. Im not a big fan of one minute melee, but thats because it uses a lot of people I dont recognize, which makes it hard to follow the battles sometimes. Like the one you guys keep talking about. I watched it and it was an interesting fight, but since I wasnt entirely sure what was going on, beyond time stopping shenanigans of some sort, it wasnt easy to follow along.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Joker vs. Sweet Tooth results!
    Show
    I had a feeling the Joker Venom would be the deciding factor. Needles' susceptibility to being manipulated definitely didn't help.

Good fight, though. The vehicle battle section was pretty nice. Kind of makes me wish Sweet Tooth had been saved for a purely vehicular fight like Tigerzord vs. Epyon, but still, it was good for what it was.

Spoiler: NEXT TIME ON DEATH BATTLE...
    Show
    After literally years of requests, Mewtwo's at the bat.

...And frankly, I'm very worried. I've seen a lot of popular suggestions and for the most part they'd be a Flash vs. Quicksilver level stomp. Mewtwo's one of those characters that's a monster in his home series but whose relative power is GREATLY overestimated when it comes to comparisons to other series.

I'm not sure who I'd want him to fight, either. Guess I'll have to wait with bated breath, and more than a little bit of dread.
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Next Battle
    Show

Hmm...well, I feel they pretty decisively answered the "Pokemon vs. Digimon" questions already, unless there's a chance that MewTwo could handle a Digimon because he's so powerful. Who else would they pit him against? A psychic character from some other series? A telekinetic? A lot of those would probably own him.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #157

Obviously next battle will be
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mewtwo versus Emma Frost. She is the first psychic I could think of thats also capable of physical combat and durability with her diamond form, that also wouldnt make mewtwo think he is a 6 year old girl in pigtails or would telekinetically crush him like a soda can.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mewtwo versus Emma Frost. She is the first psychic I could think of thats also capable of physical combat and durability with her diamond form, that also wouldnt make mewtwo think he is a 6 year old girl in pigtails or would telekinetically crush him like a soda can.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm kinda pulling for Ness from Earthbound/Mother 2

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Nah. Emma Frost's primary strength is her telepathic ability, which deciding whether Mewtwo is vulnerable to or not would be entirely arbitrary.

I'd choose Psylocke, personally. She has a similar power-set to what Mewtwo/Mega-Mewtwo has, there would be an existing character animation available for her, and she was in the recent movie.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

So the next Death Battle is between the Joker and another. I personally would like to see the Joker face against Rorschach. Not only are their fighting skills somewhat similar, Rorschach would have no trouble killing the Joker, especially for the HORRIFIC crimes he has committed. Both of them are especially unpredictable in battle, Joker with his gadgets and "magic tricks" and Rorschach with using everything around him as an improvised weapon. I'd say it would be very interesting.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: last fight
    Show

... was fine but I have to say I wasn't really invested.

Spoiler: next battle
    Show

My guess is they won't focus on skill set but go by back story, i.e. another ultimate lifeform clone thing? I guess they already used Shadow but there are surely many more that fit the type.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

well keep in mind if they use the pokemon movies as sources for Mewtwos full capabilities:

-In The First Movie he was able to cause a storm that eventually covered the entire world and would've destroyed all life aside from the ones on his own island, could shut off pokemon moves and abilities, and wiped the memory of everyone involved afterwards, as well basically erasing all the cloning equipment and stadium he made

-In the other movie he appeared in, he was able to wipe the minds of all of Team Rocket then transfer all of Mt Silver's water underground where it can't be found.

-Was able to fight Mew to a standstill

-could telekinetically lift an entire herd of tauros.

and all of this was long before he ever got two Mega-Evolutions. He was basically the first pokemon threat in the franchise that could truly end the world with his sheer power alone. and given that those movies are probably the Mewtwo everyone remembers and our biggest primary source on him that focuses on him the most, its probably the one they are going with.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The good news is, from what I understand, one of the more popular theories on who Mewtwo would fight (Frieza) has been confirmed to NOT be Mewtwo's opponent. Which is good, because visual similarities aside that might have been THE worst stomp in series history (the OMM version was quite enough, I think)

I'm actually liking the idea of Ness, but I get the feeling they're going to focus on the whole "genetically modified killing machine" angle, not the psychic angle. Though, I suppose, there's plenty of room for overlap between those two...

There's talk of Silver the Hedgehog, which I guess wouldn't be a bad fight either, probably. I'd definitely be rooting for Mewtwo in that brawl, if only to see Mewtwo beat him senseless to a chorus of "ITSNOUSE"

EDIT: Also confirmed to NOT be in the running is Psycho Mantis.
    Last edited by ChillerInstinct; 2016-06-08 at 02:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

The good news is, from what I understand, one of the more popular theories on who Mewtwo would fight (Frieza) has been confirmed to NOT be Mewtwo's opponent. Which is good, because visual similarities aside that might have been THE worst stomp in series history (the OMM version was quite enough, I think)

I'm actually liking the idea of Ness, but I get the feeling they're going to focus on the whole "genetically modified killing machine" angle, not the psychic angle. Though, I suppose, there's plenty of room for overlap between those two...

There's talk of Silver the Hedgehog, which I guess wouldn't be a bad fight either, probably. I'd definitely be rooting for Mewtwo in that brawl, if only to see Mewtwo beat him senseless to a chorus of "ITSNOUSE"

EDIT: Also confirmed to NOT be in the running is Psycho Mantis.
    There's a few creepy psycho psychic girls from horror games a while back. Actually, that should be a death battle of it's own. Creepy child free for all.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    There's a few creepy psycho psychic girls from horror games a while back. Actually, that should be a death battle of it's own. Creepy child free for all.
    Does the one from bioshock get to bring her big daddy along?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Joker vs. Sweet Tooth results!
    Show
    I had a feeling the Joker Venom would be the deciding factor. Needles' susceptibility to being manipulated definitely didn't help.

Good fight, though. The vehicle battle section was pretty nice. Kind of makes me wish Sweet Tooth had been saved for a purely vehicular fight like Tigerzord vs. Epyon, but still, it was good for what it was.

Spoiler: NEXT TIME ON DEATH BATTLE...
    Show
    After literally years of requests, Mewtwo's at the bat.

...And frankly, I'm very worried. I've seen a lot of popular suggestions and for the most part they'd be a Flash vs. Quicksilver level stomp. Mewtwo's one of those characters that's a monster in his home series but whose relative power is GREATLY overestimated when it comes to comparisons to other series.

I'm not sure who I'd want him to fight, either. Guess I'll have to wait with bated breath, and more than a little bit of dread.
    Spoiler: Needles VS Joker
    Show
    I call BS. This win seems to happen only for the sake of making Batman fanboys feel better.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler: Needles VS Joker
    Show
    I call BS. This win seems to happen only for the sake of making Batman fanboys feel better.
    Eh it did feel kinda forced at the end there. I was actually expecting a double ko. Like, sweet tooth managed to chop up the joker even as he laughs himself to death.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

This is why I say that Rorschach would have been a much better fight for the Joker. Needles seems to only be a choice for him simply because he was a murderous clown villain. I would say this is the most mismatched Death Battle, but I know that's not true.

19. - Top - End - #169

People do seem to forget that Frieza can casually destroy planets, a power level that doesn't appear in many other media. Mewtwo is powerful, but he's not "intergalactic tyrant" powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    People do seem to forget that Frieza can casually destroy planets, a power level that doesn't appear in many other media. Mewtwo is powerful, but he's not "intergalactic tyrant" powerful.
    Mewtwo would get bent over so easily, especially since Freeza now has a Golden form which is, in fact, canon. Even before his Resurrection of F power boost, he could easily kill Mewtwo with his pinky finger. So Freeza's out, unless they want to have another Flash vs Quicksilver thing where it's so predictably easy to figure out, or Kirby vs Buu, which was bull****.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zigwat View Post
    This is why I say that Rorschach would have been a much better fight for the Joker. Needles seems to only be a choice for him simply because he was a murderous clown villain. I would say this is the most mismatched Death Battle, but I know that's not true.
    While definitely a cool idea, Rorschach has the same problems that a lot of potential contenders have: There is not enough source material. Rorschach appears in one comic book and one movie that is an almost picture by picture retelling of the book (with one big difference). There are only one or two action scenes involving him. Therefore, while we know a lot about his character (which is why we would like to see him!), we know almost nothing about the way he fights, nor are there any sources the makers of DB could base their animations on.

A shame, there are plenty of people I would like to see on DB who will never appear for similar reasons.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    While definitely a cool idea, Rorschach has the same problems that a lot of potential contenders have: There is not enough source material. Rorschach appears in one comic book and one movie that is an almost picture by picture retelling of the book (with one big difference). There are only one or two action scenes involving him. Therefore, while we know a lot about his character (which is why we would like to see him!), we know almost nothing about the way he fights, nor are there any sources the makers of DB could base their animations on.

A shame, there are plenty of people I would like to see on DB who will never appear for similar reasons.
    Technically you are correct, but Watchmen was 12 comics, and Before Watchmen, Rorschach had his own storyline, which was not very good at all. But either way, his fighting style is pretty easily deciphered from what was in the movies. He will do ANYTHING to survive, and he will kill criminals if he thinks they deserve it. I'd say it should be enough to go off of, but at the same time, I can see why they didn't.

Still, Needles was not a very good choice for many obvious reasons.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Zigwat View Post
    But either way, his fighting style is pretty easily deciphered from what was in the movies. He will do ANYTHING to survive, and he will kill criminals if he thinks they deserve it.
    That's not a fighting style, that's morality. We don't really know anything about his capabilities, beyond "he can beat up mooks."
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!
    Show
    ...Or rather, a returning challenger. Mewtwo vs. Shadow the Hedgehog.

So I was right, they're focusing on the "ultimate lifeform" aspect of Mewtwo. This is going to be an... interesting fight. Mewtwo likely has the edge in terms of raw power, but I'll be VERY surprised if he can outlast Shadow's super form.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

So I was right, they're focusing on the "ultimate lifeform" aspect of Mewtwo. This is going to be an... interesting fight. Mewtwo likely has the edge in terms of raw power, but I'll be VERY surprised if he can outlast Shadow's super form.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which means we can extrapolate the result of a theoretical Vegeta vs Mewtwo fight (which they previously did with an April Fools episode.)

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Spoiler
    Show

So I was... kind of right. I guess nothing wrong with bringing back an old contestant against a new opponent...

btw, anyone wants more mechs in DB? It definitely could use a Gurren Lagann vs Burning Gundam Brawl... or, well, I could.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmm... I stumbled upon a theory which could make this fight VERY interesting indeed...

Hidden among Mewtwo's amazing offensive moves are some "mundane" moves by the name of Psych Up, Power Swap, and Guard Swap. These moves are naturally learned by him, and allow Mewtwo to, in order, copy all stat boosts from an opponent, trade offensive status changes with the opponent, and trade defensive changes with the opponent.

Shadow's big ace in the hole is Super Shadow. It's an impressive ability that, as we all know, gives him near invulnerability, speed, and power.

Mewtwo could, in theory, snatch Super Shadow's offense and defense and bolster his own, while giving Shadow nothing more than the buffs from Amnesia and Barrier that he builds up leading to the climax.

It'd be an interesting way to end it, at any rate. Heck, if they go with Mewtwo during his evil phase, the ending shot could be a now insanely buffed Mewtwo covering the world in that storm from the first movie.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Super Shadow is more like a Forme Change or Mega Evolution, which can't be copied. Maybe Mewtwo could copy the effects of Shadow removing his bracelets though?

Or since both the bracelets and the super transformation drain Shadow's stamina, maybe Mewtwo's Pressure ability would cause Shadow to become exhausted before he can finish him off? Though Mega Mewtwo loses that in favor of "becomes faster whenever something makes him flinch" or "cannot be put to sleep".

If they want to be ridiculous, they could go with "Mewtwo learned Embargo from a TM, and Shadow dies in one hit because he can't use Rings or Emeralds". Or "Mewtwo uses Amnesia to make Shadow forget how to use the Emeralds". (using Disable to stop Shadow from teleporting seems like fair game though)
    Last edited by Prime32; 2016-06-12 at 04:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

I would like to say they wouldnt do that, if only because they generally try to avoid outside boosts. Its why the three way pokemon battle didnt include tms or hms being slapped on. But then again, they had no problem loading link down with everything he has ever had in any of his games while at the same time denying his opponent any of his gear but the most basic, so it probably depends on how broken or even they want the fight to be, and which player base they want to tick off the most.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

On one hand Mega Evolution needs a trainer, which is outside help, but on the other hand, I can't really seem them doing this without throwing either Mega Mewtwo X or Mega Mewtwo Y into the fight. Probably Y, it's the fast one, and it looks more distinct from base Mewtwo.

Since Shadow is a returning competitor, I wonder how much they'll change about him. In his battle against Vegeta, the entire fight came down to if Vegeta could outlast Super Shadow's finite time limit. Which, it being Vegeta, the Saiyan Prince of not being able to stay down, was not an issue. But... can Mewtwo?