New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default gestalt character

ok my current dm is starting a d&d 3.5 1st level gestalt campaign in E6. we are only allowed core classes and are required to be an aasimar we are allowed alternate class features from any book so far we have a fighter/rogue and a cleric/stalwart battle sorcerer so im the last party member and not sure what to do. was thinking cleric as well stats rolled were 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 18

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: gestalt character

Quote Originally Posted by edwin1993 View Post
    ok my current dm is starting a d&d 3.5 1st level gestalt campaign in E6. we are only allowed core classes and are required to be an aasimar we are allowed alternate class features from any book so far we have a fighter/rogue and a cleric/stalwart battle sorcerer so im the last party member and not sure what to do. was thinking cleric as well stats rolled were 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 18
    What you want to do and the roles you want to play will determine what classes you'll want to play, obviously.

How about a rogue 1/monk 1 or 2/rogue 3 or 4//druid 6? You've got two great stats and three pretty good ones. You can focus on Wis, Con, Int, and Dex, and you can use your wild shape forms for scouting later on. Spells and an animal companion could help with sneak attacking, and having unarmed strikes, pouncing forms, and a natural attack routine could give you quite a lot as far as sneak attacking goes. And the low level spells are where druids really shine. Look through the various ACFs available for all three classes, especially monk and rogue. Just don't trade away everything, as a lot of the default features are great for gestalting on a druid (and the druid features are some of the best out of all the ACFs).

If you want to heal, get yourself some CLW wands, or (better yet) wands of Lesser Vigor.

Are you restricted to Core for just your classes? Can you get feats and whatnot from elsewhere?

Are you allowed to go E7 if you exchange aasimar for lesser aasimar, or can you take an LA +1 template instead of going full aasimar?

You should also ask if you're going with fractional saves and BAB.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-01-03 at 01:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Core only except for ACFs? And Cleric on one side? Alright then. Let's look at options:
    • Barbarian: Major chassis upgrade, but otherwise not fantastic-- Rage turns off spells, and you won't have Persistent Spell (or a lot of long-term buffs) in Core.
    • Bard: Arcane casting limits you to light armor, and otherwise the chassis is similar, but you get more skills (unless you're a Cloistered Cleric) and a different set of buff options. Bardic Music is crap in core, though. You can use the Divine Bard ACF (Unearthed Arcana) to reduce MAD, but then you're kind of just redundant.
    • Druid: Not a bad choice-- combine two of the three most powerful classes. Spells will be pretty redundant, but Wild Shape sure isn't.
    • Fighter: Eh. There aren't enough good feats in core for the bonus feats to be worth anything, so all this really gives you is full BAB.
    • Monk: Probably your best option for a monk, honestly. You're still MAD without Shadow Blade or Intuitive Attack, but you can buff yourself up and punch people. Not the best option for a Cleric, though.
    • Paladin: Largely redundant-- you already get most of their spells and earlier.
    • Ranger: Good choice. You'll be limited to light armor if you care about the combat styles, but full BAB and good skills complement you well. And Ranger has some great ACFs-- I recommend Wildshape Ranger (Unearthed Arcana).
    • Rogue: Skills and sneak attack? Eh. I'd avoid it to keep from overlapping (and possibly showing up) with the Fighter/Rogue.
    • Sorcerer: Already being done, and also a bad choice. No stat overlap, lose your armor... and you'll suffer from too many spells, not enough actions.
    • Wizard: Be the main caster, I suppose?

I'd probably go Cleric//Wildshape Ranger, methinks. Or, if you want to steer clear of the existing characters, Druid//Monk and Ranger//Wizard would both be nice.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I agree completely with Grod's breakdown. In addition, it bears repeating: (virtually) no matter what you do, the cloistered cleric variant is great in gestalt.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

[*]Fighter: Eh. There aren't enough good feats in core for the bonus feats to be worth anything, so all this really gives you is full BAB.
    Well since ACFs are a go, there's always Dungeoncrasher and Hit-And Run Tactics. Plus it would grant you access to some otherways inaccessible feats (Weapon Mastery and Improved Critical come to mind).

Combines better with a Druid, than a Cleric, though, in my book.

I'd probably go Cleric//Wildshape Ranger, methinks. Or, if you want to steer clear of the existing characters, Druid//Monk and Ranger//Wizard would both be nice.
    All solid options. The Ranger//Wizard is basically the concept of Mystra's Shooting Star on steroids.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P