New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Upper-class American Accent

I'm sure everyone knows (or at least thinks they know) what an upper-class English accent sounds like, but is there such a thing as an upper-class American accent? The only one I can think of is Boston Brahmin, but I'm sure there must be others.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Upper-class American Accent

Heavy tidewater accents are often associated with the rich, at very least in the media.
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the Boston Brahmin you're describing there is similar to say, what a Kennedy might sound like? That was my first thought for an upperclass American accent. There's also that almost antebellum southern drawl associated with plantation owners and the like. "I do declare" and all that. Perhaps something like Mr. Howl from Gilligan's Island as another option? Wearing yachting style clothes and everyone has names like "Biffy" and "Muffy." That's the media's take on it, anyways. I would say anything that reflects intelligence and education would be a good representation of the upper class.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There's a particularly flat version of a mid-atlantic accent that I see as "rich american" in a lot of british media especially, but look for it in period pieces from the 1920s or the like as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    There's a particularly flat version of a mid-atlantic accent that I see as "rich american" in a lot of british media especially, but look for it in period pieces from the 1920s or the like as well.
    Exactly. Tidewater .
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

The most distinctive historical upper-class American accents are probably the variety of non-rhotic dialects from the east coast. Boston Brahmin and Tidewater have been mentioned, if you want to hear what an upper-class New Yorker of the late nineteenth century spoke like there's a recording of Theodore Roosevelt on YouTube titled "Theodore Roosevelt Speech" that showcases this dialect. It seems that way of speaking has declined over the 20th century; recordings and videos of upper-class New Yorkers like FDR and William F. Buckley Jr. should be easy to find and show that people continued to speak that way into the 1900s, but I've never heard that sort of accent from someone born after 1950. If you encounter an r-dropping accent in U.S. media today it usually connotes a working-class Bostonian.
    Last edited by Hoosigander; 2016-01-09 at 09:09 PM.
    Even the wise cannot see all ends. -J.R.R. Tolkien
    Don't destroy it! That alter to Lamashtu, Demon Queen and Mother of Monsters, is historically significant!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybobby99 View Post
    Exactly. Tidewater .
    No. It is not a tidewater. For one thing, it is rhotic.

It is a mid-atlantic accent. The version I am thinking of is especially flat and nasal, sounding more like a new yorker or jersey speech pattern except without some of the... Grr... Anyway, I spent years trying to place it until I found out it was an invented accent that has fallen out of favor since the end of world war 2. For a clear example of the form, look no further than the "american businessman" characters of Jeeves and Wooster (Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry in a comedy of errors, it's worth watching regardless).
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, reminds me of a B&W Doctor Who episode. I was wondering why the heck someone was talking funny the way he was, then it occurred to me he must be "American". To my American ear he was attempting some coastal old money accent, but it just made me wonder who he was supposed to be based on that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Whenever I need a upper class American accent, I go with a Locust Valley lockjaw, and channel Thurston Howell III.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

This might be an incredibly broad generalization, but I think accent really isn't that big of a class signifier in the US - at least not nearly to the extent that it is in the UK and elsewhere. There are some exceptions, mainly low-class signifiers. Southern dialects are generally looked down upon by either coast. I'll mention African American Vernacular, but that gets into forum-illegal topics very rapidly. If you're looking to show that a person or character is "upper class" in the US, you'd probably be better off looking at the sorts of things they own, or the services they pay for.

If you encounter an r-dropping accent in U.S. media today it usually connotes a working-class Bostonian.
    I think about 50% of the reason for that is the Car Talk guys.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2016-01-11 at 12:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    No. It is not a tidewater. For one thing, it is rhotic.

It is a mid-atlantic accent. The version I am thinking of is especially flat and nasal, sounding more like a new yorker or jersey speech pattern except without some of the...
    ...swear words? It sounds right to me though. Or maybe I just get quite close to it when I stop to put the Ts back on the ends of words. Just-get-quite-close-to-it would start to chop up like the way they talk.

I miss hearing people talk that fast and still be clear to hear. Usually I stop a podcast thirty seconds in so I can yell at the person to talk faster, empires can rise and fall in the time it is taking you to get to the point!

...Does anybody know of a speech to text program that I can put up against a podcast and get forty five minutes of my hour back?
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This might be an incredibly broad generalization, but I think accent really isn't that big of a class signifier in the US - at least not nearly to the extent that it is in the UK and elsewhere. There are some exceptions, mainly low-class signifiers. Southern dialects are generally looked down upon by either coast. I'll mention African American Vernacular, but that gets into forum-illegal topics very rapidly. If you're looking to show that a person or character is "upper class" in the US, you'd probably be better off looking at the sorts of things they own, or the services they pay for.
    Somewhat closer to accents is variations in lexicon, which is absolutely a class signifier. To take a somewhat trite example, the use of the term "retire" meaning "to go to bed" is virtually nonexistent among working and lower middle classes. The American upper class has a set of extremely pervasive propriety standards, which excise a great many words and phrases that are more prevalent in lower and middle classes, from the moratorium on most swearing to even euphemistic terms for things like bodily functions being largely excised. As a member of a lower class, I can both use and encounter both people cursing like sailors and terms like "take a dump", which would be classed as improper and largely avoided among the upper class. The use of slang is another point of difference, as are a particular set of grammatical rules that aren't part of the English language as a whole, but only the upper class dialect. Restrictions like not ending a word with a preposition are treated largely apathetically by most and have been for some time; in the south words like "y'all" are conspicuously absent among much of the rich.

It's worth observing that this is particularly prevalent among the de-facto aristocracy. The linguistic mores of old money differ dramatically from that of up and comers, particularly people who are upper class themselves but come directly from working class backgrounds. To use a southern example, the upper class has both a number of people who come from a long line of wealthy landowners, and a number of people who either rode the emergence of oil to success or have recent ancestors who have done so; there's a cultural gap between these groups.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The American upper class has a set of extremely pervasive propriety standards, which excise a great many words and phrases that are more prevalent in lower and middle classes, from the moratorium on most swearing to even euphemistic terms for things like bodily functions being largely excised.
    Which leaves us with a bit of a problem when considering people like General George S. Patton. You don't get much more aristocratic in the U.S. than someone like "Old Blood and Guts," but as a soldier from 1st Infantry Division remarked about him at one of his speeches in Sicily, with rather sublime irony, "That ****ing ****er of a general swears too ****ing much."

While I agree that slang terms are a lot less likely to be used above a certain "class level," I'm not sure if I'd associate prim and prissy language per se with the upper class. Seems like a trait I'd associate with insecure, a bit conformist middle class types, while the lower class would swear by reflex and the upper class by choice, when they felt it necessary for emphasis (though not in a strictly formal situation, obviously).
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

14. - Top - End - #14

On the subject of informality in upper-class speech, a study in the U.K. found that both working- and upper- class people were more likely to drop the "g" from -ing ending words than middle class individuals. This is obviously a different culture, but the same social pressures may apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I think about 50% of the reason for that is the Car Talk guys.
    The other half is Matt Damon, the Afflecks and Mark Wahlburg.
    Don't destroy it! That alter to Lamashtu, Demon Queen and Mother of Monsters, is historically significant!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Historically, the Mid-Atlantic accent (not to be confused with the Mid-Atlantic dialect, the native working-class dialect of Baltimore and Philadelphia) was considered the upper-class accent. An acquired accent that consciously blended British and American features, it tended to be very "flat" and non-rhotic. For example, Audrey Hepburn spoke in this accent in Breakfast at Tiffany's:

However, this accent has fallen out of use, and Standard American is the favored "accentless" variety of American English. It is based on a Great Lakes accent instead -- perhaps most strongly that of Michigan and Detroit.
    Last edited by lurkmeister; 2016-01-11 at 09:42 AM.
    Check out my infrequently-updating blog, The Hammered Critic, where I discuss TV shows and movies I've watched, books and comics I've read, music I've listened to, and perhaps the odd culinary or alcoholic thing

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm thinking of the Crane brothers - Niles and Frasier. What would you call their accent?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Which leaves us with a bit of a problem when considering people like General George S. Patton. You don't get much more aristocratic in the U.S. than someone like "Old Blood and Guts," but as a soldier from 1st Infantry Division remarked about him at one of his speeches in Sicily, with rather sublime irony, "That ****ing ****er of a general swears too ****ing much."
    Not really. This seems more like a fairly straightforward case of military cultural standards over-riding class standards, which isn't exactly an unknown phenomenon.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by lurkmeister View Post
    However, this accent has fallen out of use, and Standard American is the favored "accentless" variety of American English. It is based on a Great Lakes accent instead -- perhaps most strongly that of Michigan and Detroit.
    Just to note, General American and the Great lakes accent have diverged since the mid-twentieth century. In particular, Michigan (excepting the U.P. and the northernmost parts of the Lower Peninsula) is at the epicenter of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift. Although, It doesn't stop most Michiganders from swearing up and down that they "don't have an accent."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I don't know if this will help or hurt. But do you think there is a difference between accents,.. between "Rich" and "Upper Class" I don't know if they are mutually interchangeable.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    I don't know if this will help or hurt. But do you think there is a difference between accents,.. between "Rich" and "Upper Class" I don't know if they are mutually interchangeable.
    There is a difference in my ear. Take a southern accent between 2 different rich people . If you wanted to sound like an upper class Southerner, you may mimic Martin Sheen as Robert E. Lee in Gettysburg. The voice is softer, the grammar and diction correct. If you wanted a rich, low class southerner, you may choose Ross Perot. The voice is louder, faster & for added effect, just throw in some slang (ie Happier than a pig in a wallow).
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The thing here is that there isn't one. There is the Connecticut or New York wealth that people are associating with some media portrayals of wealth in the U.S., but that barely scratches the surface. There's Texas oil money, money from the Carolinas that is more old southern, money from the great businesses out west and the descendents of the old railroad barons, and these days there's Silicon Valley and the technology world.

All of them speak differently and have been portrayed differently as various stereotypes in media.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Something like Colonel Autumn from Fallout 3.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Somewhat closer to accents is variations in lexicon, which is absolutely a class signifier. To take a somewhat trite example, the use of the term "retire" meaning "to go to bed" is virtually nonexistent among working and lower middle classes. The American upper class has a set of extremely pervasive propriety standards, which excise a great many words and phrases that are more prevalent in lower and middle classes, from the moratorium on most swearing to even euphemistic terms for things like bodily functions being largely excised. As a member of a lower class, I can both use and encounter both people cursing like sailors and terms like "take a dump", which would be classed as improper and largely avoided among the upper class. The use of slang is another point of difference, as are a particular set of grammatical rules that aren't part of the English language as a whole, but only the upper class dialect. Restrictions like not ending a word with a preposition are treated largely apathetically by most and have been for some time; in the south words like "y'all" are conspicuously absent among much of the rich.

It's worth observing that this is particularly prevalent among the de-facto aristocracy. The linguistic mores of old money differ dramatically from that of up and comers, particularly people who are upper class themselves but come directly from working class backgrounds. To use a southern example, the upper class has both a number of people who come from a long line of wealthy landowners, and a number of people who either rode the emergence of oil to success or have recent ancestors who have done so; there's a cultural gap between these groups.
    Point of order. You are absolutely right about standards of propriety among the upper class both existing and being held extremely tightly, but the standards that you mention are not entirely correct. The upper class will use traditional swear words with abandon as a class signfier: it is very common, for instance, for a very wealthy person to use words that refer to excrement, filth or various bodily functions frequently even in situations where it would be considered impolite specifically to demonstrate that they can violate such standards and suffer no consequence. Telling a guy to go . . . well, let's say that special something to himself in a business meeting is a signifier of their ability to violate traditional social norms. It's middle to upper-middle-class strivers who would never use such language, precisely because they can be punished severely for their breach of social etiquette.

That being said, while they frequently flout those traditional social conventions, the line that is never crossed nowadays is using language that denigrates on the basis of race, ethnicity and increasingly gender or disability. While the upper, upper class certainly see themselves as and hold themselves out to be better than other people, they never see it as because they are a member of a superior race or gender. No, that kind of language and thinking is reserved exclusively for the hoi polloi. So, just to use an example, a wealthy American person will happily swear at their Hispanic maid. They might even complain about her work ethic at their country club. But call her a racial slur against Hispanics or use a derogatory term to compare her to, say, female genitalia, even if it something that is only heard about rather than seen directly, and you will never be allowed in polite company again.