New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside 63

1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 63

[Carousel Court]

Izanami smiles

The most obvious thing is your child, due in just a few short months.

Of course, one might suggest that making at least a small dent in the stockpile of little orange and silver pills is something not to be taken lightly.

And then I would point out that Felina needs you, Arlem. She is a gentle and loving soul for all her bluster, and she has latched on to you.

But really? The world would be a much less interesting place without our favorite shape-shifter.

Melina shuffles

And... I'd miss you too, Arlem.

Then, Red Velvet!

Izanami smiles

I would love to join Her Higness for tea, Red Velvet. Tomorrow?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Carousel Court]

"That's the work I was prepared for."

The fake Izanami returns the smile, exactly the same, and then waves goodbye.

"Thank you, Melina. It would be a shame not getting to know you better. Come on back to the temple with me?"

If she doesn't work out shapechanging soon, at least there's plenty of pokemon there. Oh, and he goes to read her mind, make sure she's who she says she is. Can't be too careful, what with the squirrels turning into people and the people turning into bears.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

[Carousel Court]

Melina is indeed Melina: confused, embarrassed, contrite... sick to death of Zafflebrod's. She wants nothing more than to go to the Temple and be around "real" family right now.

Yes, Arlem.

She smiles

You're a great brother in law...

[Church of Keiko]

Keiko zips into the building without a pause... but there's no ceremony right now. Matthew is there, and he blinks and swallows before bowing deeply.

My Lady... Holy Cleo. The Mighty Sandra told me of your current incarnation.

Keiko manages to not laugh

4. - Top - End - #64

[Carousel Court]

"Half-nephew-in-law, isn't it?"

Briefly grinning, Arlem turns into a bus for a (for once) calm and orderly drive back to Inari's.

[Church of Keiko]

Cleo gives Matthew what she hopes is a regal nod.

"Then I won't need to repeat myself. How has your congregation been doing?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

[Carousel Court]

Hikari smiles as Izanami and Sunder make a tea date and politely asks, "May I come too, my lady?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Elan's Theater

Xun sniffs carefully. Seriously, it smells like something died in here. And that's not good. Xun adds, rather obviously. As a precaution, she paws at her collar. A shimmering shield forms over her body.
    Elan's Theater

"Oh, that. That's not much of anything kitty. I-It can't hurt you anyway." The ghost-boy's voice wavers as he backs away further, shrinking in on himself quite literally as he takes the form of a pale, misty fog.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

7. - Top - End - #67

[Carousel Court]

"Tomorrow," Red Velvet confirms. "And any members of the Lady Izanami's personal guard are welcome."

That's probably a yes to Hikari's question.

Unless there are further things to be said, then Red will depart!

Wow.

Managed to leave without harassing anyone else.

That's impressive.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Elan's Theater

I still need to check it out Xun replies perfunctorily. Nuances of humanoid communication aren't exactly her strong point.

She continues pushing towards the source of the smell, pushing bags aside as needed.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

[Carousel Court]

Melina climbs aboard the Arelm-bus once more.

Yeah, whatever. I've spent 75 years as her little sister, finding out the technicality doesn't really change how I feel.

Izanami smiles and nods to Hikari

Of course!

[Church of Keiko]

Matthew smiles ingratiatingly

Well... we have almost a hundred regular attenders now. As you commanded: we have followed up on the others who no longer attend, but Sandra was the only case where it was involuntary. We have been attacked once by a street gang wanting protection money, but Mighty Sandra taught them the folly of their ways.

There have been three deaths among the congregation... we trust that you have received them to their reward...

Most of the old cultists have accepted that Keiko's promise to take them to the Shadows means "at the end of their life", and of course the new followers are unaware of the older arrangements.

Keiko concentrates a moment, then nods

Yeah: Yumiko greeted them and they're in my realm now.

Matthew looks very grateful for that news, but Keiko winces

And uh... "Most"? Who still thinks I'm going to ... take them ... early?

Matthew sighs

Sean and Fritz, as you might expect: having donated a significant amount of gold, they are not willing to back down and are in fact getting quite impatient.

Keiko rolls her eyes

Ugh! Those two! I never so much as hinted at what they are imagining, let alone promised it! I'm not a divine prostitute!

Matthew bows his head

Of course not, your Holiness... But they are stirring up discontent and something needs to be done.

Keiko looks at Cleo, hoping for some inspiration.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-01-14 at 11:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

[Carousel Court]

"Very well. Buckle up, sister."
    Of course there are seatbelts. This isn't a highly crowded vehicle.

And off they go back to the temple.

[Church of Keiko]

Cleo...doesn't pat Matthew on the head. Just smiles at him. But it's tempting!

"Exactly what is it that they expect?"

She looks at Keiko sternly, moderately sure that this is a time where her mate dived in without thinking about the consequences and is trying to get around it.

"You could take them at the end of their lives after all." You know, when one of these people at the top murders them.
    "Or bring them to the shadow plane the way we went, but not to the afterlife. Eventually they'll transmigrate to the plane, right, and become native there, after enough time?"
    "Perhaps we could teach them a lesson about the importance of life? Or at least about respect?"

The dragon is shaking her head.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2016-01-14 at 12:14 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

[Church of Keiko]

Keiko shrinks down

Uh... well... they expect me to drain them into shadows... it's what they want to be doing at the time that I have a problem with.

Matthew nods

There were some in the cult who hoped for a rather intimate send-off from this world, if you get my drift.

Keiko grumbles

Should just eat 'em and be done with it.

12. - Top - End - #72

[Church of Keiko]

Cleo rolls her eyes.

"How many people are just in this because they want to sleep with you? Or with Matthew or Sandra too, for that matter? Is that really such a common basis for these things?"

Frowns.

"You don't want that, and we don't want anyone thinking it happened, nor do you want a reputation of deceiving your followers. Plan to drain them. Matthew, I trust you have all the ceremony for such a thing worked out? 'As a reward for their dedication and contribution', 'freed from their mortal shell', etc. But first, I want to talk to each of them. I look inhuman enough that I doubt they'll see me, at first, as an obstacle in their way; perhaps they'll open up more than they would to you two, who have real authority to them."

"And depending on what they really want, I have a backup plan."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Elan's Theater

I still need to check it out Xun replies perfunctorily. Nuances of humanoid communication aren't exactly her strong point.

She continues pushing towards the source of the smell, pushing bags aside as needed.
    Elan's Theater

The ghostling's voice fades into worried murmuring as Xun finds the right bag. It's dead center, half-buried by the rest, and shows signs of age from the slightly creased, faded, and dusty plastic. There's a smudge in the dust around where it's tied, where a gloved handprint has been left. A rounded end to a small bone presses out against the plastic, its outline visible.

The thin fog wavers, darkening as it absorbs the surrounding shadows and the gangly shapes Xun saw as she met the ghostling begin appearing again, stretching and lurching unnaturally, looming up to the ceiling of the small space and creeping out to the corners and edges of the storage room. One long, curved hand reaches up and in defiance of its obvious incorporeality, pulls the storage room door closed.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

[Church of Keiko]

Keiko pouts just a little

Don't get mad... as far as I know, those were the only folks with that particular delusion. I just didn't know what to do with them!

Matthew shakes his head

I won't pretend that many of us weren't enamored of Holy Keiko, but I would agree that trouble of this kind is peculiar to those two.

It should not be a problem to arrange for them to speak to you, and I could certainly come up with something suitable for the occasion should it come to that - though I would greatly prefer it did not. I have taken some pains to eliminate that notion from our traditions.

15. - Top - End - #75

[Church of Keiko]

Cleo shakes her head slightly at that first comment.

"I'm not mad. It's only their fault if they get these crazy ideas."

Then she turns to Matthew.

"Please arrange it."
    "Do come up with something. And write it down. I hope it doesn't come to that either, but it might. If not now, someday there may be cause for it, and the church will be prepared."
    "While you're planning for contingencies we're trying to avoid, come up with something to explain if they have to ... disappear for a while."

And smiles.

"Hopefully once I talk to them, given the changes you've made, this will never come up again."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

[Church of Keiko]

Keiko looks heartened

Yeah.

Matthew nods

It shall be as you say, Holy Cleo.

then he gets a gently vicious look, very reminiscent of Sun Ce from the dream world when Cleo asks for a cover story for the disappearance of the problematic pair

That will not be a problem at all.

Keiko looks very grateful indeed

Thank you so much, Cleo! You're the best!

17. - Top - End - #77

[Church of Keiko]

Cleo's changed her mind. That's a fine term of address.

"Excellent. Sooner being better than later, but I think we have plenty of time before Frederick is anything close to done. And if I know him he'll spend half again as long as he thinks in the library."

Hmm, familiar look. Guess the dream was pretty obvious if she had known him.
    She gives Keiko a grin.

"Thank me once it's actually worked out."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

[Church of Keiko]

Matthew takes a small bell from the altar and rings it three times.

In short order, Lewis comes out: dressed in dark armor that is enchanted to silence and has the look about it of the advanced suit that Sandra got from Tamamo. He bows deeply

Ah: Holy Keiko, Holy Cleo. We are deeply honored by your visit.

Matthew smiles

Kindly go fetch those two miscreants, Sean and Fritz. Our goddess has chosen this time to deal with them at last.

Tiger-spirit Cao Pi couldn't grin any more unnervingly than Lewis displays at the news

It will be my pleasure.

Keiko watches him stalk off

Well... I guess that's one way to do it. How long will he take?

Matthew sighs

At least three hours: they do not live nearby or particularly near each other. Can I get you some refreshments?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

The Cream Place

"I didn't run away. More ice cream sounds good, and I know a little place where there's good views, lots of birds and no people. Did you bring your hoverboard, or some way of flight?" If not, she can borrow Natalie's jetpack whilst she shapeshifts to get up there.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

20. - Top - End - #80

[Church of Keiko]

Cleo nods to Lewis. Much better than his outfit last time.

"You picked these guys well, Keiko."

Hmm. Refreshments? Breakfast wasn't that long ago.

"Glass of milk? And then you can tell me what, if any, is the official opinion on me."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "I didn't run away. More ice cream sounds good, and I know a little place where there's good views, lots of birds and no people. Did you bring your hoverboard, or some way of flight?" If not, she can borrow Natalie's jetpack whilst she shapeshifts to get up there.
    The Cream Place

"Don't worry about me, Talie. I know how to fly without a board. I just prefer not to if I can avoid it, but..." Nisha just smiles and waves over the server. "Take-away ice cream... please. Bill, too."

While the lady goes to fetch their meal and their bill, she finishes answering. "I can't wait, Talie." She fondly rubs the back of Natalie's hand with her thumb. Luckily for the two little birdies, the ice-cream is brought quickly, with two spoons for the couple. Nisha quickly pays the bill and gets up. "Let's go now, Talie. Lead the way!"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

The Cream Place --> Leaving

Natalie would have paid her half, if given opportunity, but as the next stop is her secret, she doesn't mind too much- though her stop is free. "It's this way. Thank you for the ice-cream!" Is directed to the waitress, and also to Raven for paying.

Natalie will lead Raven over a few streets, the city's geography changing to be convenient without anybody noticing. After about a minute, she darts down an alleyway that leads to a dead-end courtyard, with some dumpsters in and graffiti- notably including the words BAD WOLF and the phrase 'Fight Apathy! ... or don't.' Natalie looks around, smiling when she spots a stenciled-on wing, with the arrows pointing left with an arrow pointing upwards. "Since you can fly, I'll tell you a secret. The roofs of Inside are inhabited by magical gargoyles- flying statues, literally made of stone, flying through magic. They're viciously territorial, attacking anything that gets too close and is too large. This wing was left by another flight-capable inhabitant of this city, and means that there aren't any gargoyles to our right. The wing points towards where the nearest gargoyle nest is. Stay below the roof line where possible if flying casually." They'll be fine on this trip since the gargoyles, which are rarely mentioned due to people regularly sticking on street level, are played by me.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

[To Gargoyle-Free Roof]

Nisha looks around at the graffitti, reminding her a bit of certain slums she's had to visit for mission purposes. She nods and smiles at Natalie. "I'll stay close to you, Talie."

She jumps and begins to parkour up the building, stopping a bit to smile and look down at Natalie. "Lead the way. I'll fly after you."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

[Church of Keiko]

Keiko looks just a tad wonderstruck

Yeah...

Matthew bows and heads out, returning shortly with a glass of milk.

Fortunately, it was already reasonably well known who her father was - so explaining her dragon appearance was no trouble. From there, it was simple enough that I figured that the truth would really work best: I introduced you to the doctrine as Keiko's companion and consort.

Between Sandra's stories and a bit of divination work, I've gathered enough material about you to paint quite a decent picture. And honestly, the notion of a stabilizing voice of reason to our beloved but chaotic goddess who is sometimes lacking in foresight was quite a relief to everyone.

He smiles. Keiko fumes just a bit.

I am not under any besotted illusions, Holy Cleo: Keiko is a demigoddess, and only recently that. But her sister Tamamo is well-established and they both serve Inari in turn. That means that Keiko's got backing that's hard to debate, and I'm getting in on the ground floor as it were. I find it highly unlikely another opportunity like this will come around again, so it is very much in my best interests to help Keiko succeed.

He shrugs

Obviously, I did find her fox form attractive; but that was never the point of my service.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-01-14 at 08:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Up The Wall, But Not The Wall, Just A Wall Referred To As 'The' In This Title

Natalie nods and swings on her jetpack. After reading the relevant pages in the manual (the one describing the controls, primarily), she presses the trigger. It boosts her into the air, propelling her by shooting out little blue rings of anti-gravitic energy from the chimneys on the back. Steering with a little joystick, and smiling hugely, she manages to avoid crashing into any walls and lands on the roof. She'll look around, then wave Nisha up after her.

This first roof is made of concrete, with a slight tilt towards the courtyard they just left. Natalie walks along the roof quite confidently, to the next roof- a steeply pitched roof with red tiles, and a narrow walkway along the edge. Along this walkway, Natalie puts one hand against the roof for support but walks quite comfortably, despite the drop on one side. The next step is hopping over a railing onto a fire-escape, and climbing down a ladder to the level below. The next bit is on the other side of a narrow road, atop a shorter building opposite. There's graffiti of a bridge daubed on the wall, and Natalie reaches out, over the railing, before smiling. "It's an invisible bridge. Our destination isn't that far off, now. It's sturdy; magically reinforced. They can't see us below, so long as we're on the bridge." Indeed, when she climbs over the fire-escape (directly opposite the centre of the graffiti) and steps onto it, she seems to disappear- when Nisha follows, she and the bridge, both become visible- it's a rope bridge, with wooden planks. Not the most stable-looking thing, but to reach it you need to know where to look, using the secret signs of Inside's flying community, and it feels as solid as a stone bridge. After the bridge, Natalie reappears on the flat roof opposite, where the other end of the invisible bridge is tied to a cluster of TV antennae, satellite dishes and a limestone statue of an ibis-headed man. After that, Natalie goes across the roof she's standing on, which is littered with old newspaper, bits of soggy cardboard and rusting drink cans, to the wall of a taller building next to it. There's a rusty ladder going up the wall, which Natalie climbs first.

At the top, is...

The View of Park Thylocine

Astroturf has been laid across the otherwise unpleasant roofing underfoot, and a small awning has been erected in the centre, around a rather battered leather sofa, a barbeque grill (currently unlit) and a minifridge. On the opposite side of the building to which Natalie and Nisha climbed, is one of Inside's many parks. Like the others, this tends to be dangerous to enter; but they aren't entering it. It has a finite circumference, and a finite radius (which is too large for the circumference), but the diameter is infinite. Looking into the park shows an untamed wilderness; there's a jungle in the distance, but closer to the near edge is a field of grass, a lake, and many birds that seek refuge from the chaotic city in the impossible space. "When I first found that park, I looked in from the edge, by that statue of tree." Natalie points at what is, indeed, a statue of a tree. "Then I turned into a bird to get a better view, and landed on a roof and turned back. A bat-person landed next to me, and led me here. There's other ways up, but the park edge has been patrolled by locals chasing away visitors since somebody said they spotted a smilodon in there. I try to visit whenever I'm in the city, to see what I can see."
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2016-01-15 at 03:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

[Church of Keiko]

"Mhm. I might suggest, Keiko, appearing to your congregation as a fox most of the time, and showing up as a dragon with me or on special occasions. Do you have holidays? Does Tamamo have holidays?"

Cleo blinks all her eyes to get off that train of thought.
    Oh man, she's being described as the reasonable and foresight-using one. Context makes such a difference.
    Then she takes the glass of milk and sips at it.

"Sounds good enough. And I have no plans to become anything else than I already am. Well-reasoned of you, so uh, that means you're not likely to abandon us after some dramatic revelation."

She smiles at the high priest. That's someone they can depend on, because he isn't loyal to them at all.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

[Church of Keiko]

Keiko nods

As soon as I can shape-change again... I can use an illusion for now.

Holidays... uh... Tamamo mostly follows the same ones as Inari, plus Awakening Day on the anniversary of when Lirian woke her from her sleep.

Matthew smiles

Yes, Keiko: that would be wise.

And I figured as much: I'm using the shadow-fox calendar right now. Might add a few, though - you lot are a bit sparse.

And a dramatic revelation? Not terribly likely: I'm just a mortal human who got incredibly lucky and is bright enough to know a good thing when he sees it. Besides, I'm not overly keen on being the target of your, Keiko's, and Sandra's ire.

Keiko blinks

That's good... right?

28. - Top - End - #88

[Church of Keiko]

"You should add one when you learned to take on your proper shape-"
    Cleo gestures at the dragony-Keiko
    "-if it's not to close to another holiday."

Then she giggles.

"Exactly! If you were under some besotted illusions, that would be problems in the future. And yes, it's a good thing. If your clergy is personally invested in the success of your religion, you can count on them trying and coming through, compared to say, someone who was doing it for love and then had their heart broken."

Not that we know anyone like that.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

[Church of Keiko]

Matthew nods

That would be a fine holiday to add.

But now at last Lewis returns leading two very scruffy looking people. But they have the studied scruffiness of people who are doing it on purpose, and there's a lot of pride in their glances. Keiko takes a deep breath, and to everyone but Cleo (who will probably have to concentrate), she is in her nine-tailed nogitsune shape complete with outfit and tiara.

Sean. Fritz. Have a seat, please.

The two quite sullenly sit in the front pew.

30. - Top - End - #90

[Church of Keiko]

"Great! Okay, Matthew, Keiko, head outside for now?"

Surely they have plenty to discuss.

"And thank you, Sir Lewis."

Then once that's done, she can scowl at this scruffy pair.

"First question. How did you get to be in this situation you're in now? Do you not value your selves?"

She paces back and forth in front of the altar.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2016-01-14 at 09:55 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine