New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The New Adventurers! (IC)

"Whichever makes for a better story," Xaaten states isolently, shrugging the goblin off his shoulder and letting it hit the ground with a puff of dust. "The mighty Xaaten Roul has yet to meet this so-called Man-Bane, but he sounds like a pretentious cad easily led to reason by a swift boot in the arse. But the coast, we have no idea. It could be sirens for all we know. Or weasels. Or weasels with siren calls." He shudders at the thought.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

"Weasels?"

Edgar spends a moment lost in thought, before turning to the mayor.

"This goblin group are well-armed, mobile, and they know your main forces are away," he says to the mayor. "And it looks like they're willing to take advantage of it. How's your town arranged? Do you have a lot of outlying holdings, like the Glenn farm?"

"If you're concentrated in a few easily-defended places, well... there's a chance a militia could hold them off. If you're spread out, we'd best be dealing with this 'hob' goblin. I'm just a scout, but I've seen the result of a enough frontier bandit raids to know isolated farms and homesteads don't stand a chance against their kind of tactics."

3. - Top - End - #183

We can handle either threat for you but not at the same time. With all your guards dealing with the threat on the coast perhaps we should deal with the "manbane" character in order to protect the town. Once he has been taken care of we can deal with the threat on the coast.

Of course, if you think the coast is a more pressing issue then we will deal with that first. If that is the case I would advise drawing everyone to town so they can be better defended by your militia.

What is to become of the goblin prisoners?

Sargrin looks to Glenn If we go after manbane could we perhaps borrow your map? Marking the new route would be appreciated greatly as well. It will help us track the rest of the goblins much faster
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

4. - Top - End - #184

The Mayor ponders a moment before answering. "It's too bad you didn't get these creatures taken care of when you were all out there. But now, we have our Peggy back. The community can make a new house and barn, even find the same purple paint"

"Now, the goblins out there, they could be arriving soon or have such a headstart that you'll never catch them now. From what I gather, they made off with farm tools, housewares, and food. If they really did just burn the place, I think most of the rest will be gone"

Glenn, with the old map from his wife, sides up to Sargrin. "I can't give you this map. It is the original land deed to say what's mine. But, but you can copy it, study it. The path? It should be easy to find. Go past the... what was my farm... You will find three large posts in the ground along the road. The path isn't well worn, but it will take you to the forest and eventually to the river. Peggy said you were hoping to find a cave or something. I can tell you that a bear found itself a den three years back, about 50 feet from the river. It hasn't returned since, but that's the closest I have".

The Mayor concludes, "There we have it. If you go to the farm and back again, you'll be hard pressed to make it to the shore today. And you will all need to rest. We shall let the town decide what to do with the goblins when we finish with them. Just try to make it back if that's the plan. Fisherman's Cove can hopefully stand another night. We'll do what work we can here in Goodtown".

5. - Top - End - #185

Sargrin arrives back at town slightly dirtier than before. He listens to the Mayor carefully. We will do our best for this town. Should my companions be willing we will head to the cave at the farm, return to rest and then make our way to the coast. Do you know anything more about what is happening on the coast?

Sargrin watches as Glenn and Peggy reunite.

Thank you Glenn, I will copy it down. I used to be a scribe so I always have an ink pen and parchment handy. I will need to borrow it for but a moment

Sargrin finds a table and begins copying the map using his inkpen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 to copy the map

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaaten plants his scythe into the ground in time with their steps as they march off, heralding their actions in as much of a loud, booming voice as his stature can manage. "And so it is said that the new Adventurers set out toward the burning farm, in search of this road, even with the possibility of running into this evil hobgoblin called...MAN-SLAYER!" He puffs out his cheeks and makes sounds of crackling thunder with his mouth.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Brandon turns around, plants his helmet back on his head and says, clearly with his spirits shaken,

"Very well. Let us go, then; no sense in wasting time."

Spoiler: Links & GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

8. - Top - End - #188

The group of Adventurers, with their copied map and Glenn's instructions, heads back to the farm. The burning has been reduced to smouldering embers by the time they arrive.
    Spoiler: Upon further investigation...
    Show
    The lack of items and simple construction of the buildings makes it easy to get close without sorting through hot rubble. It's clear that the wardrobe was moved and the trap door opened. The 'cellar is now little more than a hole in the ground, the floor above, ladder, and shelves all burned away. No Worg is found.

The posts are easy to find, made even easier by the newly beat down and turned up earth, as well as a few broken pieces of pottery or earthenware.

Heading straight off the road, the path becomes more obvious as the scraggly trees start. Everything is quite quiet, and the sound of the stream soon becomes the loudest thing heard.

A small 'cave', more of a large burrow, marks the end of the path. It doesn't take an expert tracker to figure out that the horses were kept here. Rough ropes are still connected to nearby trees, and the softer ground leaves excellent horseshoe crescents. There is no movement around the entrance, only more earthenware and bent table utencils. Inside the den is a single goblin.

The goblin is very, very dead. Three deep holes are punctured through its body, and its head it split nearly open at the forehead. A bolt in its neck holds a note. It reads, in a very rough and sharp version of Common:
    "Me + WWoRG KiLL You SooN. No ToWN. NoT NoW BYe."
    Last edited by Edgar Snow; 2016-02-13 at 11:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaaten stares at the note with a world-class Philip-Fry-stare. "Fellows, I have the sneaking suspicion that we've been had."

10. - Top - End - #190

BardGuy

Edgar plucks the note from the bolt.

"'Me, plus Worg, kill you soon. No town, not now. Bye'" he reads aloud, for the benefit of those unable to read it clearly.
    "I s'pose the obvious assumption is that the man-butcher left this to taunt us, while he attacks the town? Anyone have any other ideas?"

Edgar looks around at the rest of the party, then begins searching the cave and dead goblin for further clues.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search for clues: (1d20+7)[14]

11. - Top - End - #191

Hmmm... So are they going to attack the town. We cannot let that happen. Should we return to town or try and track them down? Does anyone have any skill in tracking?

Sargrin tries to look for any footprints leading away from the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search (1d20+6)[20]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hah! The mighty Xaaten Roul can track a weasel straight to its infernal lair!" Xaaten stands bolt upright and stares at everyone else suspiciously. "...which does not mean he WILL, for such a task is a fool's errand."

"Nothing good comes from dealing with weasels!" he proclaims, stalking off in a random direction to track. "Nothing, I say!"

((The mighty Xaaten Roul will use his amazing powers of Survival to find tracks, but yea, if the DC is above 10, he cannot follow them, and thus is verily cornholed.))

(1d20+2)[6]

13. - Top - End - #193

It's certainly not difficult to find footprints. Most are small - likely goblins with boots or barefoot. Another set is distinctively larger. The entire area outside the shallow den is littered with horseshoe prints.

Combining the information, it seems as though the group of goblins went through the field the same way as the fleeing goblin, but came and left by the trail to the road. The group can find no evidence of another possible trail, such as to the river or through the woods.

Just as Sargrin finds a different set of prints, possibly those of the Worg, a low howl comes from the trees. Distorted by the thickness of the patch of woods, the only guess is that is seems to be close...

14. - Top - End - #194

Sargrin immediately stops looking for the tracks and aims his wand in the direction he thought the sound came from. He quickly walks back to where the others are keen not to be too far from the physical protection a barbarian and paladin can provide. We should proceed slowly. We know this creatures viscious nature so be on guard. Lets kill it now once and for all
    Last edited by Ricky S; 2016-02-14 at 07:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon hearing the howl, Brandon's eyes narrow to a slit. He eases his visor down, and slowly draws his Ranseur, making the blades sing against his armored back.

"Stay close and watch out for any who would try to blindside us."

He moves to cover his most vulnerable companions, and adopts a ready stance, bracing himself for an oncoming attack. Then, he lets his voice boom to issue an warning.

"This is your final chance to surrender. Worg, I spared your life when I could have killed you. Come to me, and live under my wing of protection and friendship. It is in your power to decide!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not sure if this is a rules-legal action, but if it is, Brandon readies an action to attack the first creature (with violent intentions) to get within reach of his weapon. Remember that a Ranseur has reach, so it provokes an AoO for closing in.
    Last edited by wkwkwkwk1; 2016-02-14 at 07:27 PM.

Show
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

16. - Top - End - #196

BardGuy

Edgar draws his small crossbow and brandishes a wand in his free hand, moving quietly to a clump of nearby bushes and crouching behind it, putting Brandon and Xaaten between himself and the threatening sound, but keeping clear sight lines on the spot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+7)[12]

17. - Top - End - #197

Spoiler: ooc: actions
    Show

There are no bushes except those at the treeline where the sound seems to come from.
    Readying actions is fine by me!

The farmland's sudden stop at the small forest's edge leave no place to hide. Facing the wall of foliage, its clear that movement in and through it would be twice as difficult than normal.

Another howl is met by a second, different howl in return, but from another spot in the trees.

Spoiler: ooc: pending combat
    Show
    I could make a quick map, but it's basic flat ground that meets the woods, which stretch for hundreds of feet. The 'den' is a 5x5x10 long tunnel at about 20 degrees down. It's at the farm-forest edge. Moving in the woods costs double.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not tactician," Xaaten comments, perhaps more loudly than he needs to. "But this seems like a trap of some sort."

19. - Top - End - #199

Sargrin moves forward to edge of the dense foliage and using his keen listening skills tries to pinpoint the source of the sound. Cover me, I'm going to try something
    He raises his hands and they set on fire and a cone of flame bursts forth into the foliage.

Spoiler
    Show
    listen check (1d20+2)[21] to try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from and then Sargrin uses burning hands in the direction he thinks they are. If nothing else it should start burning through the underbrush. If anything is in the area its (1d4)[1] damage reflex for half.

The moment he has used the spell he will sprint back to his companions

20. - Top - End - #200

Edgar is unable to find anything that could act as a proper hiding place - beyond his friends in front of him.

Sargrin takes a moment to listen after Brandon's threats. It's hard to tell precisely, but he gets a feeling something in stepping on the sticks and leaves somewhere in front of him. As he lets a fiery burst fly, some of the dead and dry leaves go up in smoke, creating an oddly shaped cloud in front of him.

Before Sargrin has a chance to move, three howls comes from the forest. While he can pinpoint one sound behind the smokey cloud, the others are unknown beyond in the trees.
    Initiative begins after Sargrin's action.
    [UNKNOWN]'s turn ends.
    PC's turn.
    Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Text colors for PCs.
    ?? = known location to Sargrin; X = goblin in den
    green = trees; light green = undergrowth
    light gray = smoke (treat as Obscuring Mist)
    and hopefully an easy to edit map

21. - Top - End - #201

Sargrin draws his wand of magic missile and aims where he heard the sound and looses a missile through the smoke of the underbrush. He takes a step back I think I have their attention. Everyone ready? He is certain that he has drawn the attention of whatever is in the forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sargrin takes a 5 ft step to between Xaaten and Brandon but just in front of them in row 11
    Damage for the missile if it manages to hit (1d4+1)[4] should I roll a d100 to see if it hits? (1d100)[14]

22. - Top - End - #202

Spoiler: Sargrin
    Show
    The creature has Total Cover. You can't see any part of it, so the missile has nothing to target (no line of effect).

Want to consider it a readied action: to MM when Sargrin spots something in the woods?

23. - Top - End - #203

Spoiler
    Show
    yea ill do that instead.
    Last edited by Ricky S; 2016-02-18 at 04:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

BardGuy

"Back from the trees," Edgar hisses, "They have the advantage under cover."

Following his own advice, Edgar takes a few steps back in Brandon's direction, waving his wand after moving and summoning a cloud of fog.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edgar moves to 5[B] and waves his wand of Obscuring Mist.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2016-02-18 at 08:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaaten takes a moment to scratch his chin curiously before hopping right the hell on the ready train.

Spoiler: Readied Action
    Show
    First thing aside from us to make a hostile action within my reach eats scythe.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"A trap, you think?" Brandon says, in a fairly sarcastical tone.

"Fall back as far as you can! They're at an advantage in the forest!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Brandon retreats from the woods as far as his companions can keep behind him, and readies an action to skewer the first enemy to come within range.

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

27. - Top - End - #207

Edgar looks for the tactical edge, and woosh, a cloud of thick fog surrounds him. Xaaten stands with his scythe at the ready while Brandon does the same, putting his body between the (now out of sight) Edgar. Sargrin waits with a wand in hand, but doesn't wait long.

Out of the woods and the light smoke steps a wolf. It is small and gray, as opposed to the large and black form of the Worg. A single missile flies unerringly into the undergrowth and strikes its body with a light pop!.

It lets out a sharp yelp, and moments later, another to the left and to the right make their way out of the cover of the trees but still surrounded by the undergrowth at the forest's edge.

They - the group of what seems to be three wolves - also seem ready and watching the group.

Spoiler: Map and Status
    Show

Dark Grey marks the wolves.
    From left to right, Wolf 1, 2, 3.
    Wolf 2: takes 4 damage

Edit: PCs' turn!, in case it wasn't clear
    Last edited by Edgar Snow; 2016-02-20 at 03:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Brandon do you regret saving that wolf's life now? Sargrin says loudly while keeping his attention on the closest wolf.
    Lets take one wolf down at a time, Edgar target the central wolf!

Sargrin flicks his wand and sends another magic missile hurtling towards the central wolf and then steps back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sargrin fires a magic missile at the central wolf damage (1d4+1)[5] then takes a 5ft step directly back from the forest. For the purposes of my mage armour how long has it been since the first battle ? Its been more than 2 hrs hasnt it?

29. - Top - End - #209

The wolf is unable to find protection from the bead of force as it flies through the undergrowth. It's drops with a light thumph in the thick grass and weeds.

Spoiler: Response to Sargrin; Edgar
    Show
    Short answer, yes. It's 1.5 hours from the farm to Town, 1.5 back, and .5 to the woods.
    Edgar hasn't seen a wolf. They emerged while he was in the Obscuring Mist. They also haven't seen him yet (or as anyone would assume, at least).

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

"It was a worg," Brandon snarls, "not a wolf. Get it straight."

Letting out a battle cry, Brandon charges another of the wolves.

Spoiler: A&D
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: [roll]2d6+3

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains