New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 6: Srs bsns

[Serious Plots]

"I was more concerned in the moment with trying not to trigger any traps." Says Grace. She'll take the horn, however. It can be appraised later, by some merchant in Skyside or Inside, if there's no one at MERC capable of doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

[Tomb of the Warrior Queen]

The two sarcophagi turns out to hold items corresponding to the ornaments on them - a spear with a white wooden haft and a blade carved from a tooth and a silver staff forged out of several thin strips metal welded together.
    Last edited by Morty; 2016-03-18 at 10:23 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

[Tomb of the Warrior Queen]

Grace takes all of them, if she can. Negotiations over who gets what can be done later. "Your choice, then. Explore further, or return to the first room?"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

The Warrior-Queen's Tomb

Krayger shrugs.
    "Depends. Do you think that they would have more of the treasure you want deeper in? We've already met with some fairly powerful undead warriors. It might indicate that we're getting closer to that which they're guarding."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Warrior Queen's Tomb]

"This is the focus of the tomb." Says Grace. "I doubt we'll find any more of what I want outside this room, but there may be other rooms with more conventional treasure, for your own organization."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

The Warrior Queen's Tomb

Krayger nods. "Very well. From a structural standpoint it makes the most sense for the treasury to be in the very back, though I've heard of there sometimes being tombs where they're place separately from the deceased. In this case, let's see if they kept it in the back while we're here."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

As Grace and Krayger back-track through the tomb complex, they'll encounter more traps and guardians, but nothing they can't handle. They'll find following loot there:

In the room where they fought the soldiers, they can pick up the weapons and armour of the lieutenants. They're far less powerful than the items looted from the sarcophagi, but still magical enough for Grace's purposes, most likely. The equipment of the rank-and-file soldiers is entirely unremarkable. The magical instruments that animated them have some precious gems in them.

The first room, with the servants, has a number of valuables in it - ornamental tools, containers and jewellery.

Below is an unguarded room filled with mummified soldiers in full armour. They're not animated, and there's very little of interest here.

Finally, going downwards will lead them to the main treasury, where dispatching two bound demons will give them access to a fair-sized stash of non-magical but valuable weapons, clothing, jewels, baubles, furniture and even a chariot.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

A good haul, all things considered. Grace doesn't really have any interest in anything non-magical (though she is briefly amused at the thought of owning a chariot), so she'll let Krayger pick out whatever treasure he thinks MERC will find valuable.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

The Warrior-Queen's Tomb

Krayger sadly did not bring a set of animated horse constructs to pull a chariot. So he'll stuff as much of the mundane treasure into his bag, and then bring out some sacks for him to carry the old-fashioned way when that gets full. He's going to be bringing as much as possible back to the goblin, and he's rather determined.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    [Capital of Ays]

It was unfortunate that it couldn't have been a return in the evening but Samantha had been feeling more alert during the day for the past week or so, oddly enough. It was still unpleasant but it felt now more like a very late night rather than the exhaustion of days without sleep. She wouldn't admit it but she had put in more thought than might have been expected or even due to just how she should try to present herself in the city. Given what she had gleaned, a Flowless could do with as much good press as could be managed and first encounters couldn't ever be redone. She hadn't brought anything to wear that wasn't more geared towards travel or battle; having decided on using the latter to at least project an appearance of an accomplished, if somewhat oddly garbed, warrior when paired with the black mail she had won from the wreckage of the cave. The axe was mostly wrapped up and stowed in a saddlebag but she had left just enough of the handle hanging out for it's suggestion of existence to lend credence to her implied status and prowess.

Looks were one thing but action was another. Though she could easily play the part of some triumphant, boisterous 'hero' (and more than a little bit of her wanted to as well), she deigned for an air of formality. A sternness without an edge or aloofness without most of the implied arrogance that came with it. She 'broke' from this from time to time as she leaned to the side to gesture at this or that establishment or bit of construction while making mention of it to the princess. Small nothings that, nevertheless, people would remember as her showing interest in the city.. And people often mistook interest for care when thinking back to energetic situations. Her waves were more pronounced than Brittany's were and aimed at 'individuals' that were selected by random chance here and there but never were they sweeping or overbearing. It was all calculated but not necessarily a facade... Really, the muse was simply turning what she thought would be the best facet towards the throng than wearing a mask.

Once the king had spoken now that the byways were a little less crowded and a little more quiet, she replied with: "In that case, would you recommend a tailor who could work quickly? I haven't a thing to wear to dinner as you've probably seen." There was a light jest to her tone but it was perhaps something that should be dealt with sooner or later. Sure, fatigues and the like might be exotic here but looking too different wouldn't win her any favors with those who's living was made partially by currying favor.
    Capital of Ays

"I can have a tailor sent up to your rooms, fear not." The King promises Samantha with a nod before gesturing to a pair of waiting servants. "Please, show the Princess and her betrothed to their room." He tells them before nodding politely to his daughter with her raised eyebrow. "I had a suite prepared for your arrival, though I will be required to have a second bed brought up for your chambers." He explains before stopping when Brittany gives an amused titter. "No, that won't be necessary as Samantha and I have decided upon other arrangements, thank you." She says loud enough for everyone to hear before leaning her upper body down far enough to take her champion's hand and follow along behind the servants to leave her perplexed father behind her.

The Keep's interior is rather neat despite the large size of the hallways and instead of gas or oil lamps lighting the way, crystals are mounted into brackets that glow with enough light to more than make up for the lack of fuel. The servants that lead them take them on a path that avoids the main corridors and up three floors until they're in the northwest corner of the keep. A set of large double-doors awaits before them, and when opened they reveal a single large chamber beyond. There is a raised center around a pit lined with cushions and pillows and blankets of all types in an attempt to provide the Princess' strange form a comfortable place to sleep. Several large wardrobes and cabinets line the northernmost wall next to a window to allow sunlight in, and the western wall has an arrangement of bookshelves stocked with expensive and heavy tomes. "The King said he had as much as he could transported over from your mother's residence." One of the servants says with a deep bow. "The tailor should be along shortly if you two wish to get comfortable. If you need assistance, simple pull the cord." He adds, gesturing to the pull-cord near the "bed".

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Snowbound Tundra]

"Okay, you just sit tight. I'll be back as soon as I can and we can go from there." Kitty leans over and gives Obriane a kiss on the cheek. "See you soon." Suddenly in Kitty's place stands a many tailed fox. She does a little circuit around Obriane, nuzzles one of her legs, and then takes off down the hill toward the town.
    [Snowbound Tundra]

Does Kitty use the road? She might have to if she doesn't want to wade through the rivers. She can see all sort of activity around the little town, people are cutting wood, fishing, playing tag...
    People might notice the many-tailed fox if she isn't careful.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Capital of Ays]

Samantha would dismiss the servant with a nod and a word of thanks if Brittany did not. Once the room was clear of all but the two of them, though, she would ensure the doors were shut before triggering a quick burst of ultrasonic chirps which were aided by a 'push' on the air, making a gentle breeze. It was a useful implant, all said, being able to map surroundings by sound alone. Brittany might not be able to hear the sounds themselves but likely by now she was at least able to piece together when the muse was up to something given her 'erratic' electromagnetic signals. Certainly the breeze wouldn't be missed unless the window was conspicuously open.. Though it was doubtful that the wind would be blowing out of the room rather than into it.. At any rate, though she didn't expect anything particularly out of sorts, it was an ingrained habit to at least have a measure of her surroundings whenever possible.

Of course, if there ended up being a wall that 'sounded' a little too shallow or somesuch... Well, better to know now than later, right?

"Well that was quite the welcome." she said, sitting on the raised center of the room while taking care to not be in the direct light from the window. It had been taxing enough while being paraded through the streets in broad daylight. It was a bit of a shame as it was probably a spectacular view given their elevation. Perhaps tomorrow or at least after some time to recover from the frigid chill of being out in sunlight. "Pomp and circumstance aside, I'm impressed. Not the sort of place I'm used to but it's not an unwelcome change." she offered, gesturing with a nod at the window to indicate the city. "So, it looks like we have a moment or two to ourselves assuming there isn't anyone listening in. How are you feeling after all of that?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Kingdom of Ays

Ghoul's "echo" test doesn't elicit much of a response from the room though she will find a small recess behind a painting of a forest on the eastern wall and if checked she'll find it likely just a place to store valuables and that it was currently empty.

"One moment."
    Brittany says, sounding entirely serious once the door is closed. Her hands sweep through the air, fingertips glowing emerald green as she seems to scan the room. Her right hand stops when it points towards one of the bookcases and she gives a sharp gesture back towards herself. A thick red tome flies off the shelf and into her hand before bursting into emerald flames. The princess scowls at it, but afterwards finishes her scan of the room. When she doesn't find anything else, she sighs. "At least one of the servants must be a Noble's mole. A Witch Tome would have recorded all that was seen and said here and given it to its master when retrieved." She explains as she flicks her hand to get rid of the ash on it. "Intrigue has already started."
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2016-03-30 at 11:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104

[Kingdom of Ays]

Samantha issued a remarkably snake-like hiss through her teeth, tongue curling at the air in the way a serpent's would before letting out a small chuckle. "Would it be difficult to create a duplicate? Or something that could reasonably fool whomever was there?" she asked, moving over to examine the painting and the alcove it hid. It was probably a public secret that it was here but worth noting either way. Out of curiosity, however, Samantha placed the spare field generator she had inside and replaced the painting. It wasn't something she couldn't live without if it somehow disappeared and it wasn't something that would be immediately useful without the know-how to work it either.

"We might get the chance to at least find out a little of who's doing the dirty work if not their employer." she said, patting at a pocket before drawing out a few almost clear 'tabs' the rough size of a thumbprint and about thrice as thick as a fingernail. Taking three, she pressed one by the door, one next to the window, and the last just inside the raised central piece of the room. "In the future, though.. Think I could get you to wait before setting things on fire? I can't say it'll always be true but I think that we'll have plenty of times where our adversaries will simply hand us weapons to use against them if we're savvy." she said, leaving the request at that rather than choosing to chastise Brittany. It wasn't a bad first instinct to get rid of any spying devices but perhaps not always the most useful one either.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Snowbound Tundra]

Does Kitty use the road? She might have to if she doesn't want to wade through the rivers. She can see all sort of activity around the little town, people are cutting wood, fishing, playing tag...
    People might notice the many-tailed fox if she isn't careful.
    [Snowbound Tundra]

Kitty can be pretty stealthy if she wants to. She uses the road, but stays off to the side of it. At times she seems to blend into her surroundings despite her red fur. Little distortions of reality and perception. She should be able to reach her destination undetected if all goes well.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Kingdom of Ays

"Unfortunately, a witch-tome like that is connected to its creator. Despite not being able to share anything it seems or hears, the person would know if we're in the room or not and I'd rather avoid any intrusion at the moment. Perhaps I had been rash however." The Princess admits as she heads over to the window where a bowl of water is in order to wash off her hands, as if the tome left her feeling unclean. "We can leave a fake in its place to catch the servant, but if it were me, I'd have gone through another agent to talk to the servant."

17. - Top - End - #107

[Kingdom of Ays]

"Catching the servant wouldn't be a bad start. They've already proven that they can be bought so all we need to do is haggle the price." Samantha replied, breathing in through her nose and taking inventory of what scents she could detect. That was another thing that burning the book would sully but she hadn't exactly gone into much detail with Brittany about just how acute her senses were. That was clearly her fault at this point but no sense dwelling on it when it was an easy enough remedy when the topic came around again.

"And depending on if we get a proxy, depending on just what we can put on this fake book might help us understand how far down the chain they are. Or at least shed some light as to a few of the other unknowns we're facing... And speaking of the fake, Is there anything you think you could do to make it give you a signal when it's opened or maybe some way to track where it is at a distance as we won't need to necessarily have it as a recording device?" the muse asked, grabbing a towel and holding it out to the princess as she was finishing with her hands. "If not.. At least have it be able to conceal something the size of a thumb?" she added, not entirely attempting to conceal the faint twitch at the corners of her lips. She wasn't going to deny that this kind of skulduggery was something she missed from back home.

"...Actually, before you answer that.." she began, a thought coming to her. "Even with what you've told me about this Flow and how it's channeled, doing any of this isn't going to.." she paused and made a gesture as if she was trying to grab the word out of the air while deciding on just what to say. "..Give you trouble down the line?" she asked, her tones of measured concern implying that while the witchcraft was definitely an asset, Brittany was far more important than these 'games' in the shadows.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Kingdom of Ays

Brittany is about to answer when Ghoul speaks of the concern for her, and the princess can't help but give a rueful smile. "Will this affect the witch-taint? No. No single action ever will unless it were some great work. And by that, I mean something to wipe out an army with." The Princess says as she steps closer to her betrothed, still smiling though the rueful nature is replaced by one of light affection and amusement. "But I do appreciate your concern." She adds, bending down to kiss Samantha's cheek before heading back to the bookshelf. "I can easily make a copy of the book, though once it reaches the owner of the other, they'll be able to sense that it isn't theirs with ease. If it makes it that far. If it were me, I'd have hired a witch instead of using my own abilities and there are ways to tell one witch's works from another. It's difficult to do, but if I get my hands on another piece of that witch's craft I should be able to tell if it is the same." She explains, deciding that it'd be difficult to go into the finer points of how to tell one Witch's work from another. "What sort of item are you going to hide there?"

19. - Top - End - #109

[Kingdom of Ays]

Samantha gave a subdued smile at the sudden show of affection.. Or perhaps not specifically sudden but a little more than what she would have expected at this point. "And I may not be able to do all that much in the way of witchery but I have a few of my own tricks." she said "I wasn't just poking at walls for the fun of it a minute ago, after all. As for what I was thinking of.." Another pocket, another small... Thing that looked to be a glossy, rectangular object about as long and wide as a thumbprint and roughly a quarter as thick as the digit itself. "I was considering this." she said, holding it out for Brittany to examine if she wished.

The outer texture would be surprisingly squishy as well as oddly sticky despite the smooth, glossy appearance. Every once in a while, the object would send out a signal, it's electrical innards pulsing although it would be debatable if it could be sensed by one sensitive to EM radiation due to it's sheer brevity. "I'm actually a little hesitant to use this as I have only two with me at the moment and no way to get more given where we are. Every half-... Every fifty seconds it sends out a signal that lets me know where it is when activated. Battery lasts for about three days and, given the urban area we're in, I estimate it'll have a fair four klick radius to it. Maybe more as there isn't as much obstruction as I'm used to. If it were open space then I'd be able to tell you where it was in a radius of ninety kilometers but I'd then say we'd have a lot larger problem if we had to track down whomever had it at that point." she explained, gesturing at the tracker. "Plus it doesn't need to keep the exact shape you see and it'll stick to whatever it's slapped on so there are some options to hiding it away."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Kingdom of Ays

Princess Brittany frowns in thought as she reaches out to slowly run her hand over the device without touching it. Samantha will feel a small pulsing effect coming from the hand as she analyzes it deeply. "Interesting concept." She admits after a bit. "I won't pretend to understand the majority of it, but I get the idea. I doubt anyone here would know to look for such signals if they didn't know it was here already." She explains before clasping her hands together and closing her eyes. She takes a few moments of deep concentration before slowly moving her hands apart to show a tome literally growing between them. It takes just shy of fifteen seconds for her to make the tome and while it doesn't look exactly like the one she destroyed, it was a close enough approximation to fool anyone who'd be darting into the room to grab it. Once it is created, alchemical runes similar to the ones she sometimes draws in the air glow on the cover before fading away.

Afterwards she lets out a slow breath and slumps her shoulders slightly, a little worn out from making the tome. "That should do it." She says before opening the to the middle to show the gap made specifically for the tracking device.

21. - Top - End - #111

[Kingdom of Ays]

The tracker was slipped into the provided alcove and a mental command later would cause it's surface to reorganize itself into something that would more passably appear as if it belonged there down to the texture. A few moments as the muse mentally adjusted the frequency of both broadcast and pulse and she let the device be, a small corner of her vision now dedicated to the location of the tracker in reference to herself. "And now we wait." Samantha said as she made a move to close the book and put an arm around Brittany's shoulders. Assuming the princess was at a height where that would be feasible. "I suppose we'd best 'replace' this before anyone else comes in, just in case." she said nodding towards the gap in the bookshelf.

"Speaking of someone coming in, wasn't a tailor supposed to be visiting soon?" she asked with a smirk. "I'll defer to you on what the current fashions are as long as I end up looking dressed to kill... Figuratively this time, I guess." she said. "Come to think of it, some cultures see it as bad luck if the groom sees the wife-to-be before the wedding.. I wonder just how that sort of thing would work here, hm?" she added as a semi-afterthought in an attempt at humor

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Kingdom of Ays

"I think we're both above silly little superstitions like that."
    Princess Brittany says with a smirk of her own as she leans against her betrothed. After a moment of silence she departs and places the tome onto the shelf where the other one had been. "As for the tailor..." She says with a frown before being cut off by a knock at the door. "Well, I think the timing seems rather fortuitous." She adds before heading over to the door to open it up. On the other side are three young women, dressed plainly for royal attendants, but their clothing is well made for this region's tech-level at least. Between the three of them they carry a large rack of clothing, materials, and sewing supplies. "Our apologies, madam's." Apologizes the oldest of the three, a brunette who couldn't be older than twenty-five. The Princess nods and steps aside, gesturing for them to enter. "Is there anything you would prefer to wear?" The leader of the three asks Samantha.

23. - Top - End - #113

[Kingdom of Ays]

Samantha cast a look towards Brittany before stepping forwards and examining what was on the rack. "Hmm.. This looks nice. Isn't something I'd get away with, though. Can hardly ever go wrong with black, though. The furs here look like they'd be.. Hmm. Oh there's a nice red here. What do you think? Maybe too bold or do you think I should go for something that'll send a message?" the muse asked while sorting through a few base garments. "Maybe something with a frill at the hemline? Not normally my thing but I could make it work if it was long enough.. Prefer slimmer things but a little ruffle isn't bad in moderation. How much skin is acceptable to show in this case anyway? Actually, how much jewelry is expected while I'm thinking of it? Can't do earrings unless they're clasps. Hate how they feel hanging there after a while but piercings in general are pretty futile for me." she said, laying out a few potentials or at least setting them apart in whatever manner appeared to be most appropriate.

If Brittany didn't respond or speak immediately about the prospect of proper dress, however, Samantha would turn to her and beckon her over with a wave. "Come on now. You're not about to let your betrothed leave here without looking at least half-decent in your eyes, are you?" she asked, her tone odd but light. She would at least let on that she was enjoying herself a bit even if her tones seemed to be a mix between a shopping trip and taking inventory of armaments for battle. "Oh, and speaking of jewelry, think I should try to fit this thing in to the ensemble somehow?" she asked, picking out the rather ornate watch that had been excavated from the dragon's cave.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Kingdom of Ays

Princess Brittany just looks on, amused as she watches Samantha look through the clothing. "I think such a watch will be easy to match, though I feel the need to ask. Would you prefer to wear something more masculine than a dress?" She asks, looking her over. "You have the frame for such, and it might make a difference in the impact you'll make." She explains. "As for decency, you're talking to someone who leaves her lower half naked for the eye to see." The witch adds with a wry smile. Perhaps it wasn't the same sort of indecency that most people were used to, but the lizard like lower body was unclothed.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Snowbound Tundra]

Kitty can be pretty stealthy if she wants to. She uses the road, but stays off to the side of it. At times she seems to blend into her surroundings despite her red fur. Little distortions of reality and perception. She should be able to reach her destination undetected if all goes well.
    Snowbound Tundra==>Town

Once Kitty has snuck through the town she will find that Obriane wasn't exaggerating when she told her her home is on the outskirts. It's actually barely visible from the road that connects all the other houses in town. It's even shielded by a small grove of trees, making it hard to spot from a distance.
    It is a pretty big house though, Kitty can probably tell that Obriane's family isn't poor at the very least. They even have a little porch with a garden.
    But it's eerily quiet now and the house seems asleep. All the curtains have been pulled together and she can't see any sign of life.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

[Rivi Des]

All seems well when Kitty arrives... mostly. It's pretty quiet, but they're also out of the way. She creeps around to the back of the house and tries to find a window. If she can, she'll change back to her regular form and peek through it.

27. - Top - End - #117

[Rivi Des]

Kitty can easily find windows, but all of them have been curtained. Every single one.
    If she creeps closer to the house she will also get an unnerving feeling which she have felt before. More specifically, each time that she've nearly touched Obriane's beastplate.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

[Rivi Des]

Kitty's really not sure what to make of that. That's a good thing, right? If something that drives spirits away is here, that would protect Obriane's family. Either way, the kitsune puts some distance between her and the house. That feeling is never pleasant.

If she can't see inside, she'll wait for a little bit. She turns back into a fox and finds a place she can sit without being easily seen. There has to be some activity around here, right?

29. - Top - End - #119

[Rivi Des]

As Kitty watches the house she will soon see someone peering behind the curtains. She can see that it's a man though she can't tell much about him since as soon as he sees her he quickly pulls together the curtains once again. He seemed afraid of her.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

[Rivi Des]

Well that's something at least. A family member of Obriane's maybe? Kitty can't be certain. Whoever they are, they're worried about something, which is good.

Kitty gets up and looks around the house. She sniffs the air, trying to find something out of place. If not she'll just have to go back to Obriane.