New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Magical Beast Wild Shape

A friend of mine and I were discussing the Master of Many Forms class the other day and we realized the class that's meant to be able to transform into nearly anything can't turn into magical beasts. After looking for a feat that could fix this I found there's only 3 possibilities, 2 of which don't really give you many options and the third is epic. Frozen Wild Shape, Exalted Wild Shape, and Magical Beast Wild Shape respectively.

Is there something game breaking amongst the magical beasts that wizards felt would be just too crazy to let you wild shape into or something? You don't gain any supernatural or spell-like abilities of your new form which would be the parts that would cause the most problems.

Would it be game-breaking to houserule a non-epic magical beast wild shape feat?
    The designers obviously never spoke with one another

Red Flag master lists
    DMs: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=215
    Players: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=189

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Magical Beast Wild Shape

I don't think it would really be a problem. The only magical beast that comes to mind that would be troublesome is the blink dog, and that's already covered by exalted wildshape anyway.

Outsiders and aberrations are where the really broken stuff is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there are a lot of magical beasts, including the hydra, which would be a bit troublesome.

I think the idea was that in 3.0, the druid had a lot more limited list of wild shapes. They didn't automatically get plant wild shape, for example, and dire animals weren't regular animals either, they were 'beasts'... That's why there are so many epic wild shape feats: Plant wild shape, Beast wild shape (not usually included in online SRDs because of their 3.5 status as animals), and then Magical Beast wild shape, which does give you supernatural abilities.

I don't think it would be that crazy to have a non-epic 'magical beast wild shape' feat if it didn't offer supernatural abilities.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gaining (su) abilities isn't exacly hard:
    -Assume natural ability (SS) gives you just one.
    -Metamorphic transfer (ExPH) takes a bit more work, but gives you all of them.

That makes the 'It not like you get (su) anyway' argument pretty moot.

Having said that, I don't think magical beast wildshape is game breaking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Twurps View Post
    Gaining (su) abilities isn't exacly hard:
    -Assume natural ability (SS) gives you just one.
    -Metamorphic transfer (ExPH) takes a bit more work, but gives you all of them.

That makes the 'It not like you get (su) anyway' argument pretty moot.

Having said that, I don't think magical beast wildshape is game breaking.
    Not to mention enhance wildshape . . . but I agree, it's not game breaking. Even the aforementioned hydra is just damage, and can already be taken with an existing feat (frozen? wildshape).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoever's the GM can modify things to their standards.

And Planar Shepherd already gets Magical Beast Wild Shape for his plane's creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!