New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Making social skills class skills for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Skills are pretty much irrelevant in 4E, so unless that's your goal you possibly shouldn't copy that system...
    That's the same system 5e uses with its proficiency bonus. It seems to work to me.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Skills are pretty much irrelevant in 4E, so unless that's your goal you possibly shouldn't copy that system...
    I haven't played 4e since it first came out, so perhaps you could elaborate somewhat?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

OP: If you're the GM and want people to be more socially adept, how'zabout just giving all PCs (or all creatures with at least 1 class level) ranks of social skills dependent upon their class level? Yes, actual ranks. This way people can't stack social skill synergies even higher, and it seemingly gives you what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    OP: If you're the GM and want people to be more socially adept, how'zabout just giving all PCs (or all creatures with at least 1 class level) ranks of social skills dependent upon their class level? Yes, actual ranks. This way people can't stack social skill synergies even higher, and it seemingly gives you what you want.
    I think there is a misunderstanding of what my attention was. I don't want all PCs to be more socially adept (having a skill as a class skill doesn't make you any better at it unless you put points into it), I just don't think that being a fighter or wizard or whatnot should have that much more difficulty learning to be social than any other class. Learning to pick locks or perform acrobatics, yeah, that's something that some classes might inherently have restricted access to, but unless a character class somehow inherently isolates a character from society, I don't think that these skills should be penalized for those inclined to learn them.
    Last edited by gadren; 2016-01-16 at 09:18 PM.
    Author of Twice Blessed, a D&D webcomic: