New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Droid shields vs energy shields.

Can someone explain to me the difference.
    As I see it Droid shields have no charges.
    Droid shields do not counted as Armor.
    Droid shields block projectives.

?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Droid shields vs energy shields.

Which system?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Which system?
    Saga edition D20
    dunno how is it called exactly :)
    consisting of 15 books from
    SW Roleplaying game to Unknown regions.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Are you comparing the Energy Shields from the KOTOR rule book? Ultimately they function identically, but Energy Shield have more limitations and are subject to some equipment rules.

Energy Shields have 5 activation charges; as far as I can tell, by RAW you can only activate them five times before they run out of power and you need to buy a new set, though it could be easily ruled to be rechargeable. Droid shields are presumably built into the droid, using the droid's internal power source and so aren't subject to that power limitations.

Energy Shields are equipment, and are counted as armor for balance purposes. This keeps players from grabbing the strongest shields with no investment besides price; if you want SR 25 or up you need to have invested in Heavy Armor Proficiency. Note that you can wear Energy Shields as an accessory to regular armor; it's not a mutually exclusive choice.

And Energy Shield are Energy Shields, and so only block energy weapons. Droid shields aren't as discriminating. It's one of the little side benefits of being a droid, probably because droids are locked out from being Jedi.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    Are you comparing the Energy Shields from the KOTOR rule book? Ultimately they function identically, but Energy Shield have more limitations and are subject to some equipment rules.

Energy Shields have 5 activation charges; as far as I can tell, by RAW you can only activate them five times before they run out of power and you need to buy a new set, though it could be easily ruled to be rechargeable. Droid shields are presumably built into the droid, using the droid's internal power source and so aren't subject to that power limitations.

Energy Shields are equipment, and are counted as armor for balance purposes. This keeps players from grabbing the strongest shields with no investment besides price; if you want SR 25 or up you need to have invested in Heavy Armor Proficiency. Note that you can wear Energy Shields as an accessory to regular armor; it's not a mutually exclusive choice.

And Energy Shield are Energy Shields, and so only block energy weapons. Droid shields aren't as discriminating. It's one of the little side benefits of being a droid, probably because droids are locked out from being Jedi.
    Yeap Kotor ones
    so:
    am I right to say that:
    Droid shields are not counted as armor.
    Droid shelds have unlimited charges (once per encounter)/
    Droid shields protects not only from energy?

And btw - can you install a droid shield onto cyberg?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

A full cyborg hybrid can install pretty much anything a normal droid of the same size could.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yeah, looking at the rules for Energy Shields those seem like fair conclusions to make. Well, going by the Shield Generator rules in Core at least; I'm not as familiar with the other source books as I could be yet.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm running a Revised Edition d20 SW game set in the KOTOR era, and have had the PCs find a military energy shield as swag (they were securing an old military base on Telos); I don't know the official shield rules, but I read somewhere that one reason droid shields are stronger, is that a living being using energy shields for long periods (or powerful shields for short periods!) ends up with radiation poisoning.

Might be an angle a GM would wish to use to limit heavy shield use by non-droid PCs, and a likely reason why personal shields tend to be modest performers.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aletheides View Post
    I'm running a Revised Edition d20 SW game set in the KOTOR era, and have had the PCs find a military energy shield as swag (they were securing an old military base on Telos); I don't know the official shield rules, but I read somewhere that one reason droid shields are stronger, is that a living being using energy shields for long periods (or powerful shields for short periods!) ends up with radiation poisoning.

Might be an angle a GM would wish to use to limit heavy shield use by non-droid PCs, and a likely reason why personal shields tend to be modest performers.
    or that powerful shields stop everything - i.e., stop air passing in / out so after a round of two you are out of oxygen (obviouly not an issue from droids)