New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass Inflict

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Inflict

Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    Under no circumstances would I allow a vampire to be buried in a bag of holding.
    What if their designated home coffin is inside the bag of holding?
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Play at another table. That kind of crap is what makes Munchkins get the rep they do.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Play at another table. That kind of crap is what makes Munchkins get the rep they do.
    I think that's a bit unfair. It seems a reasonable question to me, to which the probable answer is "The coffin won't fit through the opening of the Bag of Holding".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

I cast shrink item on the coffin to get it inside the bag, and agree that is a ridiculous overreaction to a silly but reasonable question.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well it couldn't be a Type I due to overloading risks, and would mean you couldn't carry extra bags or portable holes (or you'd end up on the Astral Plane, where there's no time so you'd be helpless forever). I'd probably allow it to transportation to a new area. Carrying round your coffin in an easily lootable bag is asking for trouble.
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

6. - Top - End - #36

PaladinGuy

They're technically not destroyed until the two hours are up, so if an extremely powerful caster wanted to use Limited Wish/Wish/Miracle to create one or more viable coffins(one or two for LW, up to maybe twenty for Wish or Miracle) during that time, I'd allow it as a GM, as along with physically creating the coffins it could be reasoned to provide a connection between the vampire(s) and the coffins. Without that connection, any coffin created after that time by mundane or magical means is just a wood box with no connection to the misted vampire, and it shouldn't serve to save them.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

*Holds Portable Hole. Smiles both adorably and creepily* ^.^
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

8. - Top - End - #38

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    *Holds Portable Hole. Smiles both adorably and creepily* ^.^
    *thinks about chain of events*
    That's monstrous! And simultaneously awesome and ironic!

9. - Top - End - #39

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    They're technically not destroyed until the two hours are up, so if an extremely powerful caster wanted to use Limited Wish/Wish/Miracle to create one or more viable coffins(one or two for LW, up to maybe twenty for Wish or Miracle) during that time, I'd allow it as a GM, as along with physically creating the coffins it could be reasoned to provide a connection between the vampire(s) and the coffins. Without that connection, any coffin created after that time by mundane or magical means is just a wood box with no connection to the misted vampire, and it shouldn't serve to save them.
    Set up contingency wish
    'i wish I'd gotten round to designating a coffin!'
    *gets books thrown at him*

10. - Top - End - #40

OldWizardGuy

I'd eyeball a spell specifically designed to do this (create an appropriate connection for a 0hp vampire to use random coffin) to do this between 4th and 6th level - "raise dead" range. Might entertain going as low as 1st to 3rd for a horror setting where vampire are intended to be unkillable (and let Renfield-esque minions the party has overlooked or spared save the Master!)

11. - Top - End - #41

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kaoskonfety View Post
    I'd eyeball a spell specifically designed to do this (create an appropriate connection for a 0hp vampire to use random coffin) to do this between 4th and 6th level - "raise dead" range. Might entertain going as low as 1st to 3rd for a horror setting where vampire are intended to be unkillable (and let Renfield-esque minions the party has overlooked or spared save the Master!)
    I'd put it 5th. Wand of Designate Coffin would be a hilarious white elephant though.

12. - Top - End - #42

OldWizardGuy

I'd put it 5th. Wand of Designate Coffin would be a hilarious white elephant though.
    Like, a case with 5 of them. All down a few charges. The sun is setting. Looks like it will be a beautiful night.

13. - Top - End - #43

PaladinGuy

[cleric of sun god identifies that wand, cackles in a way that is disturbingly gleeful for a neutral good cleric, and uses it to research the reversed version--"Vampiric Rest Denial"] ]:-)

14. - Top - End - #44

OldWizardGuy

[cleric of sun god identifies that wand, cackles in a way that is disturbingly gleeful for a neutral good cleric, and uses it to research the reversed version--"Vampiric Rest Denial"] ]:-)
    Like... a spell that "un-attunes" a coffin without destroying it? Kind of a corner case, even if its ranged. Shatter would do the same job at level 3. A mace and a couple rounds with no slot expense. I suppose the coffin could be sold if not destroyed and I know ALOT of PC's who try to maximize $$$ output.

Now a spell that targets the vampire would be both situational and VERY awesome. And I'd have given much for such a thing in several games and nearly everything for it in Ravenloft.

15. - Top - End - #45

SolithKnightGuy

Very poor spell wording might allow you to target both the vampire and a coffin. This would lead to '2 coffin kiting' for ultimate Vampire trolling.

16. - Top - End - #46

PaladinGuy

Very poor spell wording might allow you to target both the vampire and a coffin. This would lead to '2 coffin kiting' for ultimate Vampire trolling.
    Most useful would probably be a version that temporarily suppresses the vampire/coffin relationship (for *all* coffins the vampire might have ready) for a certain period of time when directed at the vampire itself, either for a single vampire or all in a radius. A will save and SR (if applicable) would probably be appropriate, and the duration should probably be something like an hour/level (creating a moderately long lasting vulnerability but not permanently crippling the vampire).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

At the end of the Fighting Fantasy Gamebook Vault of the Vampire, if you manage to defeat the eponymous vampire in combat, the gamebook asks you, "Did you find and destroy two coffins already?"

If you did, his mistform floats to the coffin in front of you and you can stake him. If you didn't, his mistform floats away and the gamebook tells you, "Apparently you failed to find at least one hidden coffin; you rescue the prisoner you came there for and get her back to the village, but you have failed to destroy Reinier Heydrich tonight, and he'll probably come after you when the sun next sets."