New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Campaign planing

Hey all,

So I am going to run a 2 PC campaign consisting of one Scoundrel and one Tech Spec.

I plan to start the campaign in the Old republic, so no famous NPC's or anything as they have never played the computer games they don't really have a relationship to this period.

I am thinking of having the PC work for a Hutts and starting out on Nar Shaddaa, and focusing around the rivalry against other Hutts and the Czerka’s.

I am just afraid it will become more of a space gangster and loose some of the star wars feel.

Both my PC are force sensitivs, will help keep some of the feel..

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Campaign planing

What system are you planning on using? Saga? D6? FFG?

Depending on what system you plan to use, there will be varying amounts of splat books available to crib from.

Regardless, I would suggest heading over to D6holocron.com and picking up the supplements "Platt's smugglers guide", "Pirates and Privateers", "Stock Ships", and "Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy" for some ideas. You may also want to check out "Platt's Starport guild" while your at it.

All that info will have to undergo some serious conversion if you are using anything other than the D6 system, but it should help give you quite a few ideas to start with.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you for the link, I will have a look.

We are playing D20Revised, I know it is not the best system out there, but we have had great fun with it. And we have most of the books as we got them cheap :)

Also no body is focusing on optimization but more on what fits best the char's history and playing still.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as general setting advice, it would help to know what general era of "The Old Republic" you will be playing in. For example, I ran a D6 campaign based just before the start of the first Sith War. The players had to investigate a lot of strange happenings that were later revealed to be the Sith sabotaging various aspects of Republic war capabilities...
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2016-01-20 at 01:18 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RCR might not be too bad if no one is playing a Jedi class (they get pretty broken the further you rise in levels, probably the most of any Star Wars system). Back in my younger super min/max borderline break the system days, I played a Jedi Guardian 5/Jedi Weapon Master 5/Jedi Master 10 and by the end was doing like 8d8+15 lightsaber damage per hit (or something stupid like that), with like 5 or 6 attacks per round, criting on 17-20 (which goes straight to wounds). It was ridiculous and looking back I kinda regret it.
    Fighter/Mage/Thief avatar by Linklele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I have not really settled on period yet, I am thinking to put it right after or in the end of the mandalorian war. But I havent decided yet, it could also be fun to put it in the cold war but I am not sure.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Bear in mind, there's VAST swaths of continuum to work with. You could set it 900 YBY, and have a young Yoda be a minor character, back when the Republic was strong and the conflicts are some border war that's really important to the PCs, but not to the Galaxy at large.

I've really been enjoying the setting of the Star Wars: Uprising game... one small cluster, about a dozen worlds altogether (with the focus being Hoth, Mataou, Burnin Konn, Anoat, and Bespin), locked down in an Imperial Blockade IMMEDIATELY after the death of Palpatine... so immediately that most of the system doesn't know he's dead, yet.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I like the idea of putting it in to YBY 900 or something around there..

Letting them fool around in the outer rim, currenlty I have planned that they work for Hutt on Nar Shaadaa who is going to test their loyalty so if they fail the first seesions will be trying to run and hide from the hutt or do some of his dirty work.