The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Post Forest Trickster, 5e homebrew arcane trickster variant

I just wanted to get some feedback on a home-brew concept I had for a forest gnome character.

This is a rogue archetype based very closely on the arcane trickster with a custom spell list. Mainly I am looking for opinions about keeping it balanced.

My concern is with the greater variety of spells. Do you think Magic Ambush will be overpowered when combined with AOE debuffs like entangle?

Summon spells overpowered? You don't get them till pretty high levels...

Open to ideas, criticism and suggestions.

---------------------------------------------
    Forest Trickster (rogue archetype) Usually Gnomes or Elves, Forest tricksters protect their forest homes using a combination of stealth, illusions, enchantments and other nature based magic to mislead or scare away anyone who roams to close to the forest they protect.

Spellcasting: Same as arcane trickster, but choose spells from Forest Trickster custom list below.

Level 3: Forest Helper --Add the Find Familiar Spell to your spell list. It does not count against spells known but must be cast as normal. When you cast Find Familiar, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms: pseudodragon, or sprite. Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own.

Level 9: Magical Ambush -- opponents have disadvantage on spell saves if you are hiding.

Level 13: One with the woods -- Your years of experience have made you an expert at moving through plants and overgrowth. Whenever you are in environment with plant growth, such as a forest, swamp, jungle or grassland, you gain the following benefits:
    -You may attempt to hide when lightly obscured and you gain +1 to stealth checks.
    -You treat difficult natural terrain as if normal terrain. (magic such as entangle or spike growth effect you normally)
    -You can climb trees and vines at your normal movement speed.

Level 17: Nature's Rejuvenation -- You gather strength from the natural world all around you. On a short rest you recover 3 spell slots. One from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level.

Spell List:

Cantrips:
    Druidcraft
    Prestidigitation
    Friends
    Dancing Lights
    Magic Stone
    Mage Hand
    Mending
    Mold Earth
    Produce Flame
    Ray of Frost
    Thorn Whip
    Vicious Mockery

Level 1:
    Alarm
    Animal Friendship
    Charm Person
    Disguise Self
    Entangle
    Faerie Fire
    Find Familiar
    Fog Cloud
    Goodberry
    Silent Image
    Sleep
    Speak with Animals
    Tasha's Hideous Laughter
    Unseen Servant

Level 2:
    Animal Messenger
    Blur
    Gust of Wind
    Hold Person
    Invisibility
    Misty Step
    Pass Without Trace
    Spike Growth
    Spider Climb
    Water Walk

Level 3:
    Conjure Animals
    Flame arrows
    Haste
    Hypnotic Pattern
    Major Image
    Meld Into Stone
    Speak with Plants
    Slow

Level 4:
    Confusion
    Conjure Woodland Beings
    Grasping Vine
    Greater Invisibility
    Hallucinatory Terrain
    Last edited by Drude; 2016-01-22 at 04:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Forest Trickster, 5e homebrew arcane trickster variant

I think this is a cool little change. Nothing wrong with it except spell recovery could be more like arcane recovery, working that way and with a more fitting name. Also that feature should be on level 17 not 16. You could give the sprite or pseudodragon or level 3 (because it would be too weak) and something fitting on level 13
    Have an awesome day!

A (small) part of my Homebrew! And a guide!

A subclass for me by Ninja_Prawn.

I am a LG Crusader/cleric

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by EnderDwarf View Post
    I think this is a cool little change. Nothing wrong with it except spell recovery could be more like arcane recovery, working that way and with a more fitting name. Also that feature should be on level 17 not 16. You could give the sprite or pseudodragon or level 3 (because it would be too weak) and something fitting on level 13
    Thanks for the feedback. Yep that should be a 17. Good catch. I will fix that.

The reason I did spell recovery that way was because it came into effect so late it would not have to scale with level like arcane recover has to. I agree it needs a better name though and some fluff.

I could move the Improved Familiar earlier, but I don't want to make it to good because I feel its already a little better than the standard trickster because of the spell options open to it. I think it should have equal or worse class features then the arcane trickster. I gotta think about it and see if I could find something to fill the void at 13 without being OP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You could put something very little on level 13, for example advantage stealth checks made in forest (just saying something)
    Have an awesome day!

A (small) part of my Homebrew! And a guide!

A subclass for me by Ninja_Prawn.

I am a LG Crusader/cleric

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by EnderDwarf View Post
    You could put something very little on level 13, for example advantage stealth checks made in forest (just saying something)
    I took your suggestions and edited my first post. What do u think?