New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: It feels like it's time.

I'm not feeling comfortable, with all of this banana talking...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    ..... Nah. Too easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I hesitate to speak for Rich, but he's said more or less as much in numerous posts that probably grace the quote index somewhere: you appear to be missing the point if you think this business with Durkon is a sidequest. It is the main plot. The story is about the Order of the Stick more than it is about the resolution of the Gates plot.
    This is so true. Some people on here have always had a thing for Durkon, but I've found him pretty boring. He's just a Generic Dwarf Cleric, and if he died and got replaced with Murkon Lightninghammer no one really would have noticed. It was very refreshing to see him FINALLY have some character development, and I for one can't wait to see how it ends.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    The people here often link to the Giant's comments as if they were discussion-enders, but it is possible for the Giant to be wrong, even about his own story.
    I like to think we link to the Giant's comments because it helps frame the discussion, focusing it rather than ending it. If the story currently feels like a side quest is taking too long, that's because the Giant views it as a main arc instead of a side quest. You can certainly disagree with the assessment, or the intent behind it; but we're closer to all being on the same page and debating the same things.

Anyway, I think it's more likely that there's enough to the story for it to have multiple interpretations, rather than saying that two different views of the same story requires one of them to be wrong. Like all art, a story centers around subjective interpretation; what one gets out of it is at least somewhat influenced by what one brings to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I know what you mean, I always feel this slight tearing sensation at the edges of my mouth when I talk; like it could split across my peel if I start speaking emphatically. It hasn't actually happened...or at least there's no evidence of it happening, maybe some form of damage reduction?...but I prefer to write, regardless.

...or is that not what you meant?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I only felt the story was dragging for a time right after I fininshed the archive binge and was eager to read what happens next. But now, I actually enjoy the slow unravelling - it feels like I find a new gem once at a time, and the uncertainty about what exactly happens next is pretty exquisite. With 1+2/3 of a book left (excluding the very likely Linear Guild prequel), that's one heck of a time to look forward to.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I would have thought that someone who has been reading the comment for over a decade would realize that the same complaints about pacing and "side quests" have been made for roughly the same amount of time. And yet, somehow, it's all seemed to work out in the end.

7. - Top - End - #37

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I would have thought that someone who has been reading the comment for over a decade would realize that the same complaints about pacing and "side quests" have been made for roughly the same amount of time. And yet, somehow, it's all seemed to work out in the end.
    Even in book form I agree with some of those complaints. Not all arcs are fast-paced, and some are slower (or to me less interesting) than I would have liked.
    I really really like the story as a whole, but there's bound to be people around for every arc that think "for me, this isn't really enjoyable".

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Even in book form I agree with some of those complaints. Not all arcs are fast-paced, and some are slower (or to me less interesting) than I would have liked.
    I really really like the story as a whole, but there's bound to be people around for every arc that think "for me, this isn't really enjoyable".
    Yeah, that's fair; I guess I just don't get the point of saying "hurry up and move on" when A)it's not going to happen and B)the evidence suggests that people frequently desire this and the story turns out better in the end for not doing so.

I just feel like, once you've made the decision to put your faith in the storyteller, you have to accept the format and the limitations that come with it (in this case, serialization). Otherwise, you can come perilously close to being the guy who criticizes chapter 3 of a novel for lacking in climax before you've even finished the book.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hmm, I'm OK with more hero vs. vampire chases and battles. Rich can keep drawing the characters forever, and I'd keep reading. It's nice that we have a forum to freely debate these topics.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by axus View Post
    Rich can keep drawing the characters forever, and I'd keep reading.
    I feel the same way.

I also feel like it's time for some D&D in the Dwarven Lands. It's going to be awesome.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ah, to think back on the young scallywag I was when I first started reading this comic. Sigh. Now I'm starting to look 'distinguished' on my good days, and being called 'sir' more and more regularly. /lulz

It almost makes me sick to my stomach to think of the comic ending. At the same time, I would really, really love to see what else Rich could do. Like, in a starting from scratch format with all the experience he's gained.
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    This would best be answered, I think, by referring to something the Giant did in his comics. When V got all that wizard-super-saiyan power and tried to rush Xykon. I think Vaarsuvius was meant as a stand in for the audience.

V was getting impatient and bored with the party's lack of progress toward the end goal of the story. So when zhe was presented with an option to 'skip to the end', zhe took it. The ultimate conclusion of that confrontation was an illustration of what happens when you try to meet your fate before the proper time-- you get an anti-climax and nothing is truly resolved.

But despite what I've taken as the Giant's artistically presented resistance to the idea of pushing forward too quickly, I have to say that particular part of the story was perhaps the strongest and most compelling portion yet. Not just because of the tension, the action and the high emotions-- but even if it may have been presented ironically, I felt movement toward the goal I cared most about.

Having said all that: I've felt fatigue with the story before and have been drawn back in before. But I've never gone looking for a post or posted anything myself to that effect. This time is a bit different. The overall flow the story has led me to believe that we're in the Final Countdown. Take a look at #965 and #966 for instance. Roy says more than one thing to the effect of we don't have any more time for distractions! We're being told through the narrative that 'Hey, you need to pay attention. The end is coming." So that's what I've been gearing for.

But even so- an inconvenient attack from the Linear Guild (or something) wouldn't have been a concern. It'd have just been an interesting diversion as we moved toward the ultimate goal. This particular development, the potential that the world could be ended as a precaution, has me a little worried. The stakes in this new plot element are basically as high as the stakes in the main one. So all of the suspense we've built up toward seeing a conclusion has been made a little foolish in light of an equally dangerous threat that's just been laid in our laps.

So we a trouble here. If this new plot is resolved with too much ease then the main plot would look easy to resolve by comparison-- and that would make the entire journey up to now look like it wasn't worth the time. On the other hand, if the new plot takes just as long to resolve as the main plot-- well obviously that would be a problem, too.

As I think about it, I believe there might be only one way out of this problem. And actually, if TheGiant does it this way, it'll be pretty damn good. But now, having arrived at that potential conclusion I think I'd better keep it to myself. Lol besides... somebody would probably link me a post of someone else having said the same thing at some place, in some time.

Added:
    But I figure that I should add these aren't criticisms, their reactions and observations. None of this is meant to suggest that I'm losing or have lost faith.
    Last edited by ClaimingLight; 2016-01-26 at 04:45 PM.
    You ever read something you wrote a while ago? And think, 'Man, I used to suck! I hope nobody sees that! At least I'm super good at everything now!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

While I don't want the comic to end, I feel like it would be best if after this Durkon plot, they went to the last gate and got it over with, finishing the story, save for an epilogue. It seems fitting that a story that began in a dungeon will end in a dungeon. HOWEVER there is still the cliffhanger left in strip #945 to come. And we are only on the next to last book so I'm not sure...

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ClaimingLight View Post
    This would best be answered, I think, by referring to something the Giant did in his comics. When V got all that wizard-super-saiyan power and tried to rush Xykon. I think Vaarsuvius was meant as a stand in for the audience.

V was getting impatient and bored with the party's lack of progress toward the end goal of the story. So when zhe was presented with an option to 'skip to the end', zhe took it. The ultimate conclusion of that confrontation was an illustration of what happens when you try to meet your fate before the proper time-- you get an anti-climax and nothing is truly resolved.
    Really? Because I felt that was pretty damned climactic.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Really? Because I felt that was pretty damned climactic.
    It may have been better to say "inconclusive".
    You ever read something you wrote a while ago? And think, 'Man, I used to suck! I hope nobody sees that! At least I'm super good at everything now!"

16. - Top - End - #46

AssassinGuy

My SOLE OOTS-related fear- connected to my being a longtime fan of Stephen King's Dark Tower series, which was even longer in the writing- is for The Giant himself. King nearly suffered Author Existence Failure before his epic was complete; Rich had the thumb incident which, IIRC, still hampers him somewhat. Both were frightening reminders of the unpredictability of life. Sir Pterry Pratchett left us with who knows how many Discworld novels still unwritten.

Life happens: I don't want it to happen to another of my favorite creators.

We love you, Rich. Be careful out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm totally with ClaimingLight as far as wanting the story to have a defined end, not just go on until Rich runs out of steam and then abruptly end--and would be even if a genie promised me that Rich would continue to make comics for the rest of my life. Good stories have defined beginnings and endings. I'm just not with them as far as wanting to brush the plot with Vampire Durkon out of the way and get to the final volume already.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-01-28 at 01:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Worth noting that this remains part of the main plot regardless of the the word of The Giant. The whole reason everyone except Durkula was going to the moot in the first place was to get Durkon raised. This remains relevant to the general pattern of the other books: when part of the party is missing or otherwise incapacitated (or dead ) they have to get them back, and rather than skipping to 'yay, they're reunited,' we follow their actions as they try to bring that about. When they try to do otherwise, bad things happen. There was the whole thing with V and the IFCC, and that led to further problems at Girard,s pyramid. Carrying on without Durkon and Belkar directly led to Durkon getting vamped.

In short, this isn't a side quest because this is the Quest to get Durkon Back. If the opening parts of Return of the Jedi weren't filler, neither is this.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2016-01-28 at 05:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

With all the due respect and the endless gratitude for Rich, I feel that Hela and his priest are not au par with the other antagonists...B-list villain, in the words of Tarquin.
    All that we see or seem
    is just a dream within a dream

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, that whole 'everything going as planned' bit is sure setting Durkula and Hel apart.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    There was the whole thing with V and the IFCC, and that led to further problems at Girard,s pyramid. Carrying on without Durkon and Belkar directly led to Durkon getting vamped.
    Don't Split the Party, again and again and again ...

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Don't Split the Party, again and again and again ...
    Hey, the Order is strongest when they're actually working together. They're not about to go up against the BBEG's of the entire series without Durkon, regardless of what Durkula has to say about it.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    With all the due respect and the endless gratitude for Rich, I feel that Hela and his priest are not au par with the other antagonists...B-list villain, in the words of Tarquin.
    Hel is not a "him."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Hel is not a "him."
    Maybe Hela, whoever that is, IS male though

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm totally with ClaimingLight as far as wanting the story to have a defined end, not just go on until Rich runs out of steam and then abruptly end--and would be even if a genie promised me that Rich would continue to make comics for the rest of my life. Good stories have defined beginnings and endings. I'm just not with them as far as wanting to brush the plot with Vampire Durkon out of the way and get to the final volume already.
    I have no doubt it will, though.

This part is important to me because not only does the team need Durkon back (and, of course, needs to make sure that there is still a world to save before they resume saving the world), but it's also another whack in the head from the Master to Roy-- "When are you going to start listening to your teammates?"

One thing Durkula was right about: "You've never been very good at listening to any idea that didn't originate inside your own skull." How often have we seen Roy blow off someone because he thinks he knows what they're going to say, or it's not what he wants to hear? And now-- as he realized after Hel's vote in #1000-- he has authored his own misfortune; the very world he is trying to save may well be destroyed because of his denial over who Durkula really is, a denial that springs from the same well of "Not hearing what you don't want to hear."

For Roy to be the real Hero What Saves the World, he's going to have to start listening to his teammates, and, as Belkar put it, become "emotionally equipped to deal with bad things happening to good people." I see this stage as crucial character development for Roy. (And Durkon as well, but that's a separate topic.)
    Last edited by Ruck; 2016-01-28 at 12:47 PM.