New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default End of the world - does the Dark One not get a vote?

Apologizes if this was covered elsewhere, but it seems like the Elven pantheon got a vote (in the person of Veldrina) regarding the end of the world, even though they weren't involved in its creation. Shouldn't the Dark One have a voice as well? I'd imagine he wouldn't want to see the world ended, because then he'd lose his leverage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: End of the world - does the Dark One not get a vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post
    Apologizes if this was covered elsewhere, but it seems like the Elven pantheon got a vote (in the person of Veldrina) regarding the end of the world, even though they weren't involved in its creation. Shouldn't the Dark One have a voice as well? I'd imagine he wouldn't want to see the world ended, because then he'd lose his leverage.
    To paraphrase Rich Burlew, what makes you think that the gods care about "fairness". Not anything that is shown in his comic, that's for sure.

A bit more seriously, the Elves are obviously "playing nice" with everyone else and have a voice. The Dark One, on the other hand, is purposefully fighting against the gods (either explicitly or implicitly) and thus he doesn't get a vote.

There are some obvious Real World parallels here, but can't really discuss them much due to board policy. But I think it is safe to say that most clubs only allow members to vote on their decisions. The Dark One isn't in the club, thus he doesn't get a vote.

Simple as that.

=====

Now if The Dark One showed any inclination of "playing the game" and he still didn't get a voice, that might be something. But it seems clear to me that he enjoys where he is at and will press for bigger status when he has a bigger club.

Or there is a new world being created and he can threaten to overturn the apple cart. Either probably works for him.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-01-20 at 09:19 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    A bit more seriously, the Elves are obviously "playing nice" with everyone else and have a voice.
    More specifically, the elves still worship Western deities in addition to their own; and presumably the elven gods themselves worshipped the Western pantheon when they were mortal.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-01-20 at 09:36 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vel is the Rep (well messenger really) of the western pantheon which the Elves are a part of. (And her being the rep is because they couldn't spare anybody that important) and not only is the Dark one not willing to play ball (as Porthos said better then i could) he also most likley would need to join a pantheon and that might be a permanent thing so even if they offered him a place he might refuse as being in a pantheon could very well weaken his postion when the plan comes into play.

Or going off what Jasdoif pointed out, it might require on paper worship of the other gods in the pantheon.
    Last edited by goodpeople25; 2016-01-20 at 09:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even without being able to vote, the Dark One has been in a fairly strong position throughout the voting process.

1. There was/is a 50/50 shot of the world ending and, by extension, him having a chance of making goblin lives meaningful.

2. His high priest is off working on the plan that no only caused this vote to occur, but has a better than 50% chance of guaranteeing that the next world will be more favorable towards goblins and even a stronger position among all other deities/pantheons (by his way of thinking, either he gets the ultimate bargaining chip or the world starts over).

Ultimately, it seems he'd rather rework the world as is, and not condemn the lives of the goblinoids for a power gain if it can be avoided. However, he's also willing to play hardball, and if sacrificing the goblins in this world will make goblin life better for all time in any potential future worlds...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    His high priest is off working on the plan...
    Which disqualifies him from voting anyways regardless of whether he's entitled to do so in theory.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    Even without being able to vote, the Dark One has been in a fairly strong position throughout the voting process.

1. There was/is a 50/50 shot of the world ending and, by extension, him having a chance of making goblin lives meaningful.

2. His high priest is off working on the plan that no only caused this vote to occur, but has a better than 50% chance of guaranteeing that the next world will be more favorable towards goblins and even a stronger position among all other deities/pantheons (by his way of thinking, either he gets the ultimate bargaining chip or the world starts over).

Ultimately, it seems he'd rather rework the world as is, and not condemn the lives of the goblinoids for a power gain if it can be avoided. However, he's also willing to play hardball, and if sacrificing the goblins in this world will make goblin life better for all time in any potential future worlds...
    Fair enough! Hopefully Banjo has the power and inclination to stand up for the orcs as well.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Banjo has about as much chance of getting a vote as the Dark One.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Banjo has about as much chance of getting a vote as the Dark One.
    And that's assuming Giggles doesn't oppose Banjo on principle.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

In a nutshell:

- Elven gods participate with the Western Pantheon (#987)
    - Dark One is his own pantheon and thus not in any others (SoD.)

Therefore he gets no vote.

EDIT: Also, as noted above, his High Priest is off doing Plan-related shenanigans and wouldn't be voting here anyway.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2016-01-25 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Why do people keep asking this?

Even if the Dark One gets a vote, he would vote with the Southern pantheon, not the Northern Pantheon. How do you know his vote would even affect the Southern Pantheon? For all you know they voted 10-2 to save the world and his vote wouldn't change anything.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Why do people keep asking this?

Even if the Dark One gets a vote, he would vote with the Southern pantheon, not the Northern Pantheon. How do you know his vote would even affect the Southern Pantheon? For all you know they voted 10-2 to save the world and his vote wouldn't change anything.
    Why would he vote with southern pantheon?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Why would he vote with southern pantheon?
    Because the goblins are from the South.

Because Gobbotopoa is in the South.

I mean, if he can vote in the Northern Pantheon, why can't Thor or Loki vote in the Southern or Western Pantheons? If he isn't required to vote where his worshipers actually reside, why is everyone else required to?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Because the goblins are from the South.

Because Gobbotopoa is in the South.

I mean, if he can vote in the Northern Pantheon, why can't Thor or Loki vote in the Southern or Western Pantheons? If he isn't required to vote where his worshipers actually reside, why is everyone else required to?
    the only reason the hobgoblins are in the south currently is because they were force marched there. Everything ive seen indicates that the heaviest goblin concentrations are in the North.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    the only reason the hobgoblins are in the south currently is because they were force marched there.
    They were?

In this strip, Serini's gate is referred to as "far to the north", with 8 nations between them and the gate, whereas Azure City is only a few weeks away and it's the closest nation to them. This seems to indicate that they started in the South and marched to another part of the South.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Everything ive seen indicates that the heaviest goblin concentrations are in the North.
    It's entirely possible I missed this information. Where was this mentioned?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It's entirely possible I missed this information. Where was this mentioned?
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Redcloak identifies the Azurite homeland as "more than a thousand miles south of here" relative to his village.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Redcloak identifies the Azurite homeland as "more than a thousand miles south of here" relative to his village.
    A thousand miles is only the difference between Denver, CO and Houston, TX. (Sorry anyone not familiar with US geography). It's not the distance between continents, unless the OOTS world is MUCH smaller than ours.

Of course, it depends on what he means by "more than" a thousand miles. If he means "two thousand miles more than a thousand miles", then yes, he might be from the North, but somehow I don't think that's what he means.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-02-11 at 03:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

The Villains' Calendar actually had a line about that -

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have it here on mobile, but it paraphrases as "participating in the process only legitimizes it."
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

A thousand miles is only the difference between Denver, CO and Houston, TX. (Sorry anyone not familiar with US geography). It's not the distance between continents, unless the OOTS world is MUCH smaller than ours.
    It's the most specific general marker I think we have, though.

Actually, wait, think I recall....yeah, Greysky City is in the Northern lands (or the arc wouldn't have specifically needed a cleric of a Northern god), and is also just past the mountains to the north of Azure City. I have to assume the nation of Azure City is on the northern edge of the Southern lands.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Shouldn't the Dark One have a voice as well? I'd imagine he wouldn't want to see the world ended, because then he'd lose his leverage.
    Also, since nobody's addressed it yet....

It doesn't matter if he loses his leverage if he succeeds in his goal regardless. His leverage is to give goblins a fair shake. If the world is remade, he, as a god, gets a say in it, and the goblins get a fair shake. It's even what Redcloak referred to as
    Spoiler: SoD spoiler, technically.
    Show
    "Plan B."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Fair enough! Hopefully Banjo has the power and inclination to stand up for the orcs as well.
    Banjo isn't a God, and even if he was he's not a member of the Northern Pantheon. Also those orcs worship the God of Slapstick now, and those orcs live in the South, not the North, so would have to vote in the Southern Pantheon and not the North, if it got a vote at all.

Also, it would be the absolute lamest twist in the entire comic if Banjo got a vote. Like seriously, I would cringe in real life. Why do people want this? I fail to see how it would in any way be funny.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

And I don't get why people go the opposite extreme in regards to banjo, yes he wouldn't resolve the godsmoot but that dosen't mean banjo has no semblance of godhood what so ever, and roy's head just randomly gets hit with tiny bolts of lighting from tiny clouds all the time. Or bringing up this debate when that post isn't about the godsmoot anyway, it is about remaking the world, which probably won't even happen so hardly a lame twist or even a twist at all.

I never thought that banjo would show up at the godsmoot but the response to those who do (or seem to in this case) is just as ridiculous to me. Yes it's a common theory and a lot of people are tired of hearing it but theres no need to go overboard in refuting it. Banjo being an incredibly weak deity has more basis in comic to me anyway.

23. - Top - End - #23

I think the reason people keep bringing up Banjo's (and possible Giggles') participation in the vote is because if it happened, it would be one hell of a chekov's gun/brick joke, depending on how it went down. Even if it didn't change anything, because they vote against each other, or the giant just brings in more (demi)god(s) for them to tie with.

24. - Top - End - #24

It should also be noted that not all the demigods might have showed up. According to Strip 1012, usually no more than three show up. Another cleric doesn't even know how many demigods the Northern pantheon has. So even if Banjo had a vote, Rich would have just added or removed a demigod to make it a tie again, since he created them for this strip, and they've never been introduced before.

But more importantly, Banjo would have told Elan everything about the gates and how to stop it immediately, because he doesn't play those silly non disclosure games. He's too real for that.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I think the reason people keep bringing up Banjo's (and possible Giggles') participation in the vote is because if it happened, it would be one hell of a chekov's gun/brick joke, depending on how it went down.
    Psh. Still be peanuts compared to 8BT's 4 White Mages joke.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, it depends on what he means by "more than" a thousand miles. If he means "two thousand miles more than a thousand miles", then yes, he might be from the North, but somehow I don't think that's what he means.
    A thousand miles is a significantly larger distance than the 7,7 miles that separate Europe from Africa, or, indeed, the 0 miles that separate Europe from Asia, or Asia from Africa, or North America from South America (in case you don't consider the last two to be a single continent).
    ungelic is us

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    A thousand miles is a significantly larger distance than the 7,7 miles that separate Europe from Africa, or, indeed, the 0 miles that separate Europe from Asia, or Asia from Africa, or North America from South America (in case you don't consider the last two to be a single continent).
    What about those of us who don't consider Europe and Asia to be separate continents?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What about those of us who don't consider Europe and Asia to be separate continents?
    "Eurasia" isn't a cool enough name, and besides you don't have much of a case unless you throw Africa in there too!
    ungelic is us

29. - Top - End - #29

"Eurasia" isn't a cool enough name, and besides you don't have much of a case unless you throw Africa in there too!
    Eh, the Egypt/Israel land connection isn't much bigger than the Panama/Columbia one. I feel like anyone looking at the divider between Europe and Asia and says, "yep, thats two continents there" has some explainin' to do.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think you're understanding me.

I'm not saying "the bit of land (or water) which separates the two continents is a thousand miles wide". I'm saying "If you start in a northern continent and walk south a thousand miles, you're not likely to be in the southern continent"

Unless, of course, you're close to the southern border of that northern continent, and your destination is close to the northern border of the southern continent, which appears this may be the case. So I think it's pretty safe to say there is absolutely no way of telling which continent the goblins originate from