Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Domains And Domain Feats

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    As a note I am strongly against a True Dragon thread too, even while I think that's actually a whole lot less restrictive than a golem one.

Partially for the restrictive-ness problem, (though I'd support as Demon Princes, i.e. Abyssal archfiends which is more restrictive than true dragons) and partially because TOO MANY DRAGONS.

Though come to think of it what really needs expansion is the lesser unique Devils. I mean there's supposed to be a host of Baatezu nobility which serve the Lords of the Nine. The stats for the LotN are for their aspects only, mere avatars (hence Bel is not strictly speaking a Pit Fiend++ which is what he is in the lore), so we'd have to decide if we wanted to stat out full forms (I mean they're supposed to be a magnitude of power weaker, so CR 21-30 creatures, potentially even CR 17-20, would be potentially appropriate for true forms lore wise) or just aspects which would free us up for a whole lot of lower CRs.
    Hmm, I think its a good idea. Though the OP for such a post could require some educational links and/or exposition. GitP Regulars as Baatezu nobility could definitely be fun.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Though come to think of it what really needs expansion is the lesser unique Devils. I mean there's supposed to be a host of Baatezu nobility which serve the Lords of the Nine. The stats for the LotN are for their aspects only, mere avatars (hence Bel is not strictly speaking a Pit Fiend++ which is what he is in the lore), so we'd have to decide if we wanted to stat out full forms (I mean they're supposed to be a magnitude of power weaker, so CR 21-30 creatures, potentially even CR 17-20, would be potentially appropriate for true forms lore wise) or just aspects which would free us up for a whole lot of lower CRs.
    Oh?

You have my attention.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Hmm, I think its a good idea. Though the OP for such a post could require some educational links and/or exposition. GitP Regulars as Baatezu nobility could definitely be fun.
    And there's the rub. I mean there were some in 1e, but I'm not super familiar with the fluff. They were absent from 2e almost entirely (they were not allowed to reference the Lord of the Nine by name during Planescape, the only mention I can think of outside of maybe the Law and Chaos box sets and modules is in the Blood War box set where it says they are rumored to exist but do not meddle in the war), until the post-Planescape book that made Asmodeus an overdeity in disguise which I hate because it takes away from him to go "Oh yeah, you know why the Reckoning* happened? You know why Asmodeus can play the gods like a fiddle? It's because he's actually an overdeity and more powerful than any of them, except the lesser deity of Coatls. Yep coatls are the only thing that can oppose Asmodeus".

*It might have also introduced the Reckoning unless that was from module as it was the change of Lot9 in between 1e and 2e/3e.

FCII is actually the best source I know of for info and it mostly listed the names of a few as continuity nods.

And this is why I say it would be a good one, because it's a space rife for expansion. And you and LP would make beautiful servants of Dispater.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

GitP Regulars as Archfiends..? I'm interested. Though it does make me curious about who's gonna make Red Fel's first, and how many he's gonna get. It is right up his alley, after all...
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    GitP Regulars as Archfiends..? I'm interested. Though it does make me curious about who's gonna make Red Fel's first, and how many he's gonna get. It is right up his alley, after all...
    ... Have you been looking up my alley?

Pervert.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... Have you been looking up my alley?

-snip-

Pervert.
    Har har har. Don't make this dirty, now.

Besides, I wouldn't come near your alley with a ten-foot pole. Or twenty-foot. Or fifty-foot. Or one-hundred-foot. I would prefer not to be dragged kicking and screaming into Hell, if it's all the same to you.

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Har har har. Don't make this dirty, now.

Besides, I wouldn't come near your alley with a ten-foot pole. Or twenty-foot. Or fifty-foot. Or one-hundred-foot. I would prefer not to be dragged kicking and screaming into Hell, if it's all the same to you.
    And you call yourself a Chromatic dragon? Does somebody fear MOTHER?

'Good' little dragons have nothing to fear in Baator

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm, now I'm wondering what we'd all look like as Inevitables too.

GitP Regulars as iconic outsiders? Or perhaps ...as insert-alignment-here iconic outsiders to limit scope and get more milage out of the idea?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

count me in. can archfiends give domains if yes than give me a hell yeah

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

And you call yourself a Chromatic dragon? Does somebody fear MOTHER?

-snip-

Oh, it's more of the fact that I'd have to leave my hoard behind if I did that. And having to kill all those devils on my way back would be a bit of an inconvenience - I forgot to prepare Plane Shift today. Maybe another day. Yes, I said prepare, even though most dragons have Sorcerer casting. I'm not most dragons.

Extended Signature Link

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Hmmm, now I'm wondering what we'd all look like as Inevitables too.

GitP Regulars as iconic outsiders? Or perhaps ...as insert-alignment-here iconic outsiders to limit scope and get more milage out of the idea?
    That could be fun. I'd say Fiends, Celestials, and Law/Chaos as 3 separate threads, could possibly divide Fiends into Devils and Demons, but that leaves out 'loths. Law/Chaos might be best as 'non-good and non-evil outsiders' possibly throwing in Elementals to give it a little more scope. GiantITP Regulars as Elemental creatures. I mean just 'cause the standard elementals go through the progression doesn't mean all do, there used to be a host of 'em mostly just hinted at; I mean there still are some, Invisible Stalkers are a variety of Air Elemental, they just took out most.

Oh, it's more of the fact that I'd have to leave my hoard behind if I did that. And having to kill all those devils on my way back would be a bit of an inconvenience - I forgot to prepare Plane Shift today. Maybe another day.
    OH THAT'S THE GLORY OF IT. TIAMAT GUARDS THE PIT OF AVERNUS, AND HAS A WAR PACT WITH THE BAATEZU; SHE PROVIDES THE BLOOD WAR AND THEY LEAVE HER AND HERS ALONE, BESIDES MAKING HER TRIBUTE TO USE THE MAIN THOROUGHFARE BETWEEN THE UPPER TWO LAYERS, I.E. THE MAIN THOROUGHFARE OF HELL. PERKS OF BEING THE ORIGINAL LORD OF THE FIRST. JUST DON'T PISS OFF A FIEND PERSONALLY, OR HELP THE TANAR'RI LIKE SOME SORT OF CHAOTIC ALIGNED SOD. Spellhoarding with access to cleric and druid lists myself. Or I think that was supposed to be cleric spells and those from the following domains and not cleric spells from the following domains since that doesn't quite work.

Current Projects:

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

OH THAT'S THE GLORY OF IT. TIAMAT GUARDS THE PIT OF AVERNUS, AND HAS A WAR PACT WITH THE BAATEZU; SHE PROVIDES THE BLOOD WAR AND THEY LEAVE HER AND HERS ALONE, BESIDES MAKING HER TRIBUTE TO USE THE MAIN THOROUGHFARE BETWEEN THE UPPER TWO LAYERS, I.E. THE MAIN THOROUGHFARE OF HELL. PERKS OF BEING THE ORIGINAL LORD OF THE FIRST. JUST DON'T PISS OFF A FIEND PERSONALLY, OR HELP THE TANAR'RI LIKE SOME SORT OF CHAOTIC ALIGNED SOD.
    You make a very excellent point. Well, if the desire to visit Baator ever strikes me, I'll keep that in mind. Though I wouldn't worry too much about pissing off a fiend. I doubt they'd survive long enough to talk. Spellhoarding and Cleric spells with levels of Incantatrix for me. Took Craft Contingent Spell as soon as I could, so I have a Contingent True Ressurection set to activate should I die.

Extended Signature Link

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Peanut Domain (ZAYDOS)

Granted Power: 1/day + 1/day per 4 cleric levels you possess you may improvise a skill check or attack roll replacing your ranks or BAB with your cleric level and your ability score that modifies it with your Wisdom modifier (if multiple ability scores modify it only the normal ability is replaced). If used on an attack other than your first in a full-attack action that would normally not use your full BAB (an iterative attack granted by high BAB as opposed to haste or cleave bonus attack) you suffer a -5 for every -5 that attack would normally suffer.

Domain Spells:
    1. Kraj’s Momentary Graft
    2. Galuf’s Job Change
    3. Zaydos’ Effective Bribery
    4. Jack’s Exaggeration
    5. Zasmir’s Dream Crafting
    6. Deep Bind Vestige
    7. Zaydos’s Momentary Godhood
    8. Zasper’s Draconic Shape
    9. Zaydos’s True Eidolon

Spoiler: Peanut Domain Spells
    Show
    Kraj’s Momentary Graft
    Transmutation
    Level: Druid 2, Peanut 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 2
    Components: V, S,
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Living creature touched
    Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Fort negates (harmless)
    SR: Yes (harmless)

You weave magic into a ball of mutating cytoplasm which you phase into the creature through your hand granting them a cytoplasmic graft.
    When you cast this spell select one graft from the list of grafts grantable by spells. You may treat this spell as having a spell level of 1 + 1/5 CL levels you possess for the purpose of determining which grafts may be chosen. You grant the target that cytoplasmic graft for the duration.

Galuf’s Job Change
    Evocation
    Level: Peanut 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 minute/level (D)

You invoke the power of the Light Crystals letting it fill you.
    When you cast this spell choose any class. You gain the special abilities granted by the first level of that class as if you had gestalted a level of it. You do not, however, gain spellcasting, soulbinding, meldshaping, invocations, martial maneuvers, or similar subsystems that class may have granted. You may not choose Freelance or Incarnation.
    Material Component: A small crystal.

Zaydoy’s Effective Bribery
    Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Peanut 3
    Components: V, S
    Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 class levels)
    Target: 1 sentient living creature
    Duration: 1 day/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    SR: Yes

This spell functions as Charm Monster but the target must have at least 3 Int and you must give the target an object worth (market price not sale price) at least 200 GP per CR it possesses. For every additional 200 GP/CR the object is worth the target suffers a -1 penalty to its save. If the object is one which you personally created its value is doubled for this purpose.

Jack’s Exaggeration
    Evocation
    Level: Peanut 4
    Components: V, S, F
    Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
    With this spell you exaggerate one of your skills into something to make legend seem small.

When you cast this spell select any skill you have at least 1 rank in. You are considered to have ranks in that skill equal to your CL + 3 (maximum HD + 3) and you gain the Least Exaggerated Skill associated with that skill; if multiple skills are associated with 1 Exaggerated Skill you gain ranks in all of them but only require 1 rank in 1. If your caster level is at least 12 you gain the Lesser Exaggerated Skill associated with the chosen skill as well. If your caster level is at least 20 you gain the Greater Exaggerated Skill associated with the chosen skill as well.

Focus: A bag of holding.

Zamir’s Dream Crafting
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Peanut 5
    Range: 5 ft.
    Effect: One magic item crafted from dream
    Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
    Saving Throw: No.
    SR: No.
    You consolidate dream stuff into reality, forming it into a weapon of your choice.

When you cast this spell select any magic item with a market price no greater than CL2 * 500 GP (CL squared times 500 GP, or ½ CL squared in thousands) and no greater than 200,000 GP. This item must not have a limited number of uses or charges, though it may have a daily limit, nor may it allow you to regain expended spell slots. You create that item. If it is ever more than 30 ft from you it winks out of existence immediately. This item is obviously made of temporary and valueless dream stuff to all sentient (Int 3+) creatures.

Focus: An artist’s painted representation of one of their dreams worth at least 250 GP.

Deep Bind Vestige
    Evocation
    Level: Peanut 6
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    You call out the name of one of those tattered beings that dwell trapped beyond the reach of the gods. Evoking its power deeply into you, you take on those traits it grants those who share themselves fully with it.

When you cast this spell select one 4th level or lower vestige. You bind it as if you were a binder with an effective binder level of 4 less than your caster level. For the duration of this spell you are considered to have a pact with that vestige in which you failed the binding check and thus show both its sign and suffer its influence. When you cast this spell choose either vestige priest or contractor. If you choose vestige priest you may cast 3rd level or lower spells granted by the bound vestige spontaneously as if they were Cure or Inflict spells. If you choose Contractor you gain that vestige’s invocation (CL = your divine CL)

Focus: A platinum phylactery worth 5,000 GP upon which is inscribed a prayer invoking the vestige to be bound. It requires a DC 25 + vestige level Knowledge (the planes) check to write this blasphemous prayer or DC 30 + vestige level Knowledge (arcana).

Zaydos’s Momentary Godhood
    Transmutation
    Level: Peanut 7
    Components: V, S
    Duration: 1 minute/levels (D)
    With a spell of utter blasphemy, a spell that were it not granted by a god’s favor would spit in the very eyes of the gods, you ascend to quasi-godhood for a few brief moments.

When you cast this spell you gain Divine Rank 0 for the duration. Your hit points do not change. You gain the speed appropriate to your size. A deflection bonus to AC = to your Charisma modifier. All weapons you wield (and natural weapons) are considered to match your alignment for the purposes of overcoming DR. You gain immunity to Transmutation (polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that alters your form. Any shape-altering powers you might have work normally on yourself.), Energy Drain, Ability Drain, Ability Damage, and Mind-Affecting Effects . You gain DR 10/epic, Spell Resistance 32, and Fire Resistance 5. You do not gain any domains and thus no spell-like abilities. While this spell is in effect you do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Being a god is straining on the mortal form. When this spell ends, regardless of the reason you suffer 4 Constitution drain and 2 negative levels; these negative levels only last 8 hours and never result in permanent level loss.

Zasper’s Draconic Shape
    Transmutation
    Level: Peanut 8
    Duration: 10 minutes/levels (D)
    You assume the form of an exotic dragon, gaining its powers and splendor.
    This spell functions as Shapechange except you may only assume the form of a true dragon from this list of abnormal ones, it may never have more than 20 Hit Dice, and you may not change forms again as part of this spell, instead remaining in the chosen form until you dismiss it.
    Focus: A mithral and adamantine ring in the shape of a dragon worth 20,000 GP

Zaydos’s True Eidolon
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Peanut 9
    Components: V, S, F, M, XP
    Casting Time: 8 hours.
    Range: 5 ft.
    Effect: One CR 12 or less living creature, may require multiple castings.
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: No.
    SR: No.
    Slaving over a vat of magical chemicals you work this spell to create a new life form.

When you cast this spell you create a living creature with a CR of 12 or less. You may create it with class levels, as long as its CR remains 12 or less, and intact memories of an artificially designed childhood and its attitude towards you naturally begins at Friendly. This spell takes 1 casting per 2 CR or fraction thereof of the creature to be created. Once created the creature is functionally a perfectly normal specimen of its type even to the extent of having the elite array if it has PC class levels except you may select its alignment.
    Focus: You must create the creature in a vat of alchemical products designed to help coax life into being and costing 20,000 GP to construct and fill. This vat is reusable.
    Material Component: A variety of alchemical reagents which cost 300 GP per CR of the creature to be created. These reagents are used up to 600 GP per casting until completed.
    XP Cost: You must pay 200 XP per CR of the creature to be created. This is reduced to 100 XP per CR if it is a dragon or plant. You must pay a surcharge per class level based on the following: Mythos 750 XP/level, Tier 1, Shai’ir, or Community Monster Class 500 XP/level; Tier 2 400 XP/level, Tier 3, vestige priest, simic biomancer, channeler, theurge, freelancer, or other (non-zaydos) homebrew 200 XP, Tier 4, other Zaydos’s homebrew, or unlisted 100 XP/level, Tier 5 or 6 0 XP/level. You may not grant Incarnation levels this way unless you have divine rank 1 in which case they cost 200 XP/level.

Peanut Devotion:
    You serve the great Dracolich.
    Benefit: Once per day as a swift action you can invoke the vile powers of the Peanut Dragon allowing it to flow through you. For one minute you gain the benefits of one vile feat listed here, or here plus one per 4 character levels. You may ignore Willing Deformity as a prerequisite but otherwise must fulfill all prerequisites for the selected feats.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times, each time you do so you gain an extra daily use of it.
    Special: If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you may gain one additional use of this feat for every two turn or rebuke attempts you expend.
    Special: As a note, Zaydos is considered a Great Old One, Outer God, and/or Elder Evil. He won’t tell me which.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-01-27 at 01:56 PM.

Current Projects:

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VirusInk View Post
    Yep, it's a solid strategy. But it's bad when people think they have the right to hug you, and then sneak up behind you to do it. I usually, accidentally mind you, punch these people for startling me.
    I usually express my discomfort in a less violent manner.

Oh jeez. You poor soul. D: And are these notes optional or required?

One time in my political science class I had to make a roughly... 60 page binder of typed notes. Luckily I could use bullet points as well as paragraph form though.
    I just realized this effort could be spent on training Guardians.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, Snowbluff! What's your take on the "GitP Regulars as Various Outsiders" thing we've been considering?

Extended Signature Link

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    FINE. Just make sure we have one of them survive to grow up and become Marida.

And don't have your bomb go off too early or else Haman wins and then we're ALL stuck wearing spiffy uniforms and saluting an evil redhead who colours her killer robot white and pink just to be ironic.
    I'm sure she will be fine. Now how dare you bring up premature detonation, It's not like there is such a thing with a battery powered antimatter bomb. The only risk is the bomb blowing up in your face, which is why the presentation tray is a charging unit. I suppose we could always send him the medal in the space mail with the tray and without the battery.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

17. - Top - End - #317
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    I just realized this effort could be spent on training Guardians.
    Right... *smiles sheepishly*
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Great. Now I'm hearing Tiamat as voiced by Ed Asner.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Is it bad that I'm tempted to start a thread where I make little expansions to my homebrew based on people?

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Great. Now I'm hearing Tiamat as voiced by Ed Asner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well Granny Goodness is sort of the attack dog of Apokolips and could really be equated to Tiamat as the Lord of the First with Darkseid as Asmodeus. I'd say it works out.

Current Projects:

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

Is it bad that I'm tempted to start a thread where I make little expansions to my homebrew based on people?
    No. would the thread be in homebrew?

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

21. - Top - End - #321
    Firbolg in the Playground

It'd only be bad if you didn't do it.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Be tempted. Be tempted.

Well Granny Goodness is sort of the attack dog of Apokolips and could really be equated to Tiamat as the Lord of the First with Darkseid as Asmodeus. I'd say it works out.
    Is it bad that I squee'd a little at the comparison of two of my favorite poker buddies?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    No. would the thread be in homebrew?
    Of course, I'm more likely to recognize random people from there among other things, though probably linked in my sig and manually linked in the current one of these threads. Probably should make nanite host PrC first and maybe wait a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Is it bad that I squee'd a little at the comparison of two of my favorite poker buddies?
    They're the same archetype, both drawing heavily from the same figure for inspiration and characterization, and Darkseid shares Asmodeus's only truly consistent* element of characterization: He rules over a fractious group of scheming backstabbers who'd love to stab him in the back but overcomes them with a little bit of cleverness and a whole lot of being more powerful than them.**

*Ignoring early Dragon Magazines which presented 2 other supreme overlords of Hell.

**Well ok, Asmodeus vacillates between a whole lot of cleverness and a little bit of being more powerful than them to a whole lot of unnecessary and sort of ineffectual scheming as he is the most powerful entity in the planes mwahahaha. Personally I prefer the lower powered takes on Asmodeus to the higher powered ones. Let Orcus and Demogorgon be the archfiends who get their position from sheer power, Asmodeus is the Lord of Baator he should be able to be the weakest of the Nine*** and still be the ruler, not some being more powerful than all 8 others combined.

***: He should be able to be, I do still prefer him as the strongest of the Nine, just not so strong that Mephistopheles or Baalzebul alone is not a threat to be cautious of; I mean when he can take on the other 8 at once why does he need to play Mephistopheles and Baalzebul, and through them the other Lords, against each other so much?

Current Projects:

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

It would be an interesting take on Asmodeus to have him actually be no more powerful than a level 5 or so Cleric, but Just That Brilliant at manipulation. (Unique character/creature, so his power stats would be wrapped up in appropriate skills and the like to represent this brilliance and manipulative genius.)

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    It would be an interesting take on Asmodeus to have him actually be no more powerful than a level 5 or so Cleric, but Just That Brilliant at manipulation. (Unique character/creature, so his power stats would be wrapped up in appropriate skills and the like to represent this brilliance and manipulative genius.)
    "In an interview with the Lord of Nessus, our reporter asked him about the recent rumors that he was not, in fact, all-powerful, but merely exceptionally good at manipulation. His response was, and I quote, 'You may very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.' Back to you, Scott."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

I actually really like how the FCII did it, which is how the Blood War box set did it with the Dark of the War*, with a disclaimer that most of the information within was gathered from a book that probably came from Asmodeus and that if there is any truth in it it is heavily mixed with lies to make Asmodeus and the Baatezu look better. Unfortunately there are people who take it as the complete gospel truth when it does contradict, well every single older source of the origin of Baatezu, Asmodeus, etc and presents itself as unreliable with very little mechanics our outside support to it.

I mean Zargon** gives support to the 2e Ancient Baatorians and is from a later source*** (Elder Evils) showing that by the most recent presentation is true FCII's fluff is full of holes. Which when it's presented as coming from Asmodeus is a good thing. That said it's really nice to have at least 4 competing theories presented as canon for Asmodeus's creation, ranging from the one I've only seen mentioned because I haven't tracked down and read enough of the really early material, to doesn't mention Asmodeus directly because Planescape wasn't allowed to but does talk about the origin of the Baatezu which works with consistent hints he's the first Baatezu, to Guide to Hell's stupid presentation, to FCII's overly reminiscent of Milton version. Because here's the real dark of it, it don't matter what the official origin of Asmodeus is, that ought to be dark, it's like the Far Realm sometimes, bub, less is more. A canny DM don't need anybody to tell 'em how Asmodeus came into being, either it don't matter and ya go with the one which puts the least emphasis on things and that is that it's lost to any graybeard you care to name, or it matters and in that case a DM has got to put his personal spin on it anyway. Which is why it works best not to print the dark of Asmodeus but only some chant that's part of someone's peel. After all, Asmodeus's true nature is the sort of top shelf dark a DM can make whole campaigns about, can't just go giving that out to every cutter who reads a sourcebook.

And now I'm ramblin' on in Planar slang like some addle-coved bubber of a Cage who has had too much drink and is rattlin' his bonebox on and on. So time for me to stop, 'fore I say too much and give y'all the yawn and y'all tell me to go to the Mazes.

*There it was from the 'loths' private libraries so actually presented as more trustworthy and was in the for DM's eyes only book so theoretically more trustworthy, the fact that it works in with other presented stuff both before and after much better than FCII doesn't hurt its case, and in fact works very well with the existence of the obyriths even though they do cause some inconsistencies, but it's far from the only thing they cause inconsistencies with.

**I hate referencing Zargon because he mutilated lore badly, both of the pre-existing entity Zargon who was pretty close to an Elder Evil anyway and of the Ancient Baatorians.

***Zargon is actually from one of the modules that helped form Mystara, BCEMI's campaign setting so we're talking early 1e era, but he was reprinted and heavily modified in Elder Evils.

Edit: And now I almost want a campaign where the PCs are working with... Dispater? Mammon? Belial? Baalzebul? Maybe Levistus... to overthrow Asmodeus. Probably start you off as small cogs, have to figure out motivations for taking down Asmodeus that he'd not subvert possibly literally having your patron possess your soul and the tools to extinguish it at a whim. Maybe give you a free Half-Fiend template over time, probably give you the vile feat that says 'I work for a Lord of the Nine' as a freebie, and eventually Brand of the Nine Hells and Mark of -Patron-.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-01-27 at 05:41 PM.

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Troubadour Domain (Illyahr)
    Ok, I'm loving this.

I'm up for GitP Regulars as Outsiders/Elementals. Although I hate the Slaad. Law gets the Inevitables; Good gets Archons, Guardinals, and Eladrin; Evil gets Demons and Devils (and others, I just don't care about them), but Chaos gets Slaad. Poorly developed, poorly fluffed, poorly represented Slaad. Honestly, I've always just gone with Fey as the Chaotic-aligned Outsiders and relegated Slaad to the bad-idea bin.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

Officially inducted into the Jr. Tormlets by LoyalPaladin.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Colossus in the Playground

New domain.

Rebirth of flames. (Neo-Phoenix0 domain)

Granted power. Once per day, you may cleanse yourself of all non-magical diseases, poisons, and heal 2 times your cleric level in damage.

1 Burning hands.
    2 Lesser restoration
    3 Fly
    4 Reincarnate
    5 Shroud of flame
    6 Fires of purity
    7 Delayed blast fireball
    8 Stormrage
    9 True Resurrection pact (see below)

Spoiler: True resurrection pact
    Show

Conjuration (Healing)
    Level Rebirth of flame 9
    Components V, S, XP
    Casting time 10 minutes.
    Range Touch.
    Target. Yourself.
    Duration Permanent until triggered.
    Saving throw None.
    Spell resistance No.

The caster of this spell, has managed to turn death into a doorway. By enshrining a bit of their own soul beyond the veil of death, they manage to ensure that they can come back from the worst fates.

If the caster should die while this spell is in effect, a true Resurrection spell is immediately cast on the target.

XP cost 3000

Rebirth of flames devotion

Benefit Once per day, when you would be brought below 0 hit points, you may detonate as an immediate action. Stabilizing yourself and inflicting 1d6 fire damage per Character level on everyone else within a radius of 5 feet per 5 character levels. (Min. 5 foot radius). If you would die from the attack, you instead stabilize at -9.
    Bonus. By sacrificing 4 turn undead uses, you may use this ability one additional time per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Ok, I'm loving this.

I'm up for GitP Regulars as Outsiders/Elementals. Although I hate the Slaad. Law gets the Inevitables; Good gets Archons, Guardinals, and Eladrin; Evil gets Demons and Devils (and others, I just don't care about them), but Chaos gets Slaad. Poorly developed, poorly fluffed, poorly represented Slaad. Honestly, I've always just gone with Fey as the Chaotic-aligned Outsiders and relegated Slaad to the bad-idea bin.

Modrons are hurt. The original truly alien PC. The original semi-construct semi-alive PC. The original inhabitants of Mechanus. The ones which are actually Outsiders. The ones which have 3.0 Web Enhancement stats and 3.5 Dragon Mag stats. And they're forgotten.

And yeah Slaad are just ??? Like seriously. I guess they represent chaos and illogic in the sheer What the Cage of it all. I mean Law has the Modrons (not suitable for persona based expansion really), inevitables (much more ripe for it), formians (they are also ripe), and even some stray entities of pure reason and stuff. Chaos has... the bariaur which are goat-centaurs from Ysgard, and the Slaad. Like I can't think of any that matter that aren't shared equally with Good or Evil. And yeah Demons out number Devils in variety but quality over quantity.

Current Projects:

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'm not sure if anyone has ever given me a straight up life based thing before that wasn't tainted with complete destruction. Also that feat seems surprisingly balanced for what it does.

Current avatar by me