New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 44: Baby it's cold outside

[Dragon Non-Battle]

"Hmm, and she's too big to fit in my soul-jar..."

Cleo chuckles.

"She is rather clever, isn't she? But I don't expect to be able to end this purely through friendly chatting. It would be a pleasant surprise. But we have to plan for her not cooperating too."

Then a flash and a crinkle of stone. She turns to look at the statue of a water-dragoness. Rolls an eye...until Claire speaks again.
    Well, that's easy enough to say. Let's prove it. Cleo tries her standard means to remove the petrification. Right hand, red beam, back to the living thing you used to be! Or not. She wheels back to Claire, eyes furious and ... excited?

"And what, I should trust you because I have no other options?"
    Because Cleo can think of a lot of other options right off the top of her head. There are a number of friendly goddesses who can step in later to fix Keiko, more difficult ways to end petrification, and of course convincing Claire that it's in her best interests to undo it.

She starts to sing a lullaby.
    It's not Mass Calm Emotions. The song is only focused on the entangled Messenger.
    Perhaps it was the crowd losing its anger that injured her earlier. But she's hoping not.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

As it turns out, Claire's rank is not actually good enough to block Cleo's abilities: Keiko un-petrifies and manages to say what she was about to say

Aww man... don't do that...

Claire's eyes go wide in agony for a split second before she relaxes instead. She's a little less sparkly all the sudden, and there are some licheny spots here and there on her scales that just weren't there before. She also looks rather confused, though not bothered thanks to the spell

Uh... what just happened?

Keiko chuckles

Easy way number one for getting a free ticket to stay mortal: use too much power outside of a Temple. And don't try killing yourself to get back: you'll just have to start over and your memories will get wiped first: you have to live out the rest of that body's natural lifespan.

Then she turns to Cleo with a grin

Well, Cleo, with any luck we just got our friend back.

3. - Top - End - #93

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Cleo races over to her unpetrified Keiko to give her a hug.

"Okay, is there a single god in your universe who tells their servants how things work?"

Then turns to regard the newly normal stone dragon. Sighs. She only got to the first item on her list of tortures.

"I don't think she was ever our friend, Keiko. But I'm willing to be corrected."

She looks over to Claire with a questioning look on her face.
    There's the carrot. Does she need to get out the stick?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

[Outside Temple Gate]

Hei notices the demon cannons' destruction and what his lack of control has caused for the demonic side. Eh, there are probably reserves... but in this case, such thinking will only lead to heavy losses.

"Hear my voice and lend me your aid." He growls under his breath at every piece that could lend him aid. He speaks to the cannons to lend him aid, to let him buff them, make them harder to destroy, and cause significant damage to non-demons. For the demons, he bids them to let him in and let him buff and strengthen them, to cause them to grow in power. He tells the wind, the ground and the plants to avoid causing harm to the demon forces.‎

As for the airborne forces, he blasts them with a torrent of corrupting muk, infecting them with the cuthun essence. If they don't turncoat or feel compelled to follow the Cuthun, then their spirits will degenerate instead.

[The Tower - Uppermost Floor]

Luna smiles at Phil. "We'll teach her both. Best of both worlds. Of course, that assumes that she's our only child..." When he leaves, she winks at Zither.‎

Nisha selects the first good bed she can find and alerts her sister to its presence, directing Phil to place her on it. "This place is better than the hallway. More comfy."

Luna shows up, presumably with Zither in tow, and nods in approval. "It'll do. She looks so peaceful..."‎
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2016-01-31 at 07:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Keiko nods

Oh yeah, lots do. The trouble comes in with new planets with relatively few people that happen ... uh ... naturally - they generate a god from belief, and they have no way of knowing the universe they've come into.

Remember, the rest of us aren't omniscient: without a worshipper there or some other reason to know, nobody has any way to know they're there and so they can fumble along for a long time before somebody stumbles across them and teaches them how things really work. And most folks are too busy to go around looking for them - universe is a big place, and most planets are empty.

And I'd be seriously shocked if she stuck to her old instructions now.

Claire smiles hopefully

Yes! Friendly! I ... uh ... yeah: if there's someone more reasonable to battle with, I'm sure we can make that work! I'm not sure why that seemed so bad before...

Keiko rolls her eyes

Well... ok: she's always going to be on the violent, warmongering side of things.

Oh, but before we can really decide... was it you killing the elves?

Claire blinks in surprise

I manifested on this world right before I met you two: you're why I came! Seriously, it wasn't more than a few seconds; I certainly haven't killed anybody!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-01-31 at 07:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Not yet, apparently.
    Cleo looks down.
    "Oh...trial and error for them, then. But people should be out looking for other planets...what do your mortals do about the stars?"
    Poor things.

Cleo grins.

"Being on the warlike side of things is entirely okay. But who did you have in mind for her to fight? I think it's believable enough that wild dragons did kill them. So, uh, Claire. Why did you become a Messenger?"

No stick needed.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Keiko nods

Can't really argue, but it's usually too far. And uh... I'm not sure - we don't have space travel yet back home, and Inari hasn't told us anything as far as I know because the greater powers have a treaty and aren't allowed to share too much between worlds.

Claire tries to remember

I was... I was in the Lord's command staff when he received the great axe. Oh! I was the first to get a pack to join us, and was always more successful than the others at convincing them. So when I died, he made me his Messenger forever since I had done the job so well during life.

Keiko hmms

I can see that...

But for the last point, Claire tilts her head

But what is all this about something killing the elves? The little I picked up about them made them look pretty formidable, and the feral mountain dragons are as dumb as the rocks they live among.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-02-01 at 10:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

[Dragon Non-Battle]

"Oh...I had always thought that if a people could travel to other places, they just would. But if they're not there yet."

Then of course they wouldn't.

"Well, we all make mistakes."

Like Keiko and Sthissa and now Cleo are doing with regards to Karliss and Claire.

"What do you know about the rock dragons, miss 'appeared minutes ago', 'never been here before'? The elves said something had been killing hunters or turning them to stone, for several years. Obviously, you fit the bill, but the feral rock dragons can do the same thing, right?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Claire hunkers down a little

Well... yes, certainly I could do things like that. But I was assuming these mountain dragons are the same as the ones on our home world... they can only petrify someone once every fifteen minutes or so, and it doesn't take much in the way of strategy to deal with them. They're mostly solitary, so it's not like they can gang up on you.
    They're tough and strong, certainly, and we respect them for that... but no way one's going to successfully take on more than three or so hunters.

She looks at the few curious Sthiss who are still watching (most of them have more important things to do, after all).

And if they were that belligerent, wouldn't this village have had trouble by now? You certainly didn't hear anything about that, now did you? Just a bull forest dragon.

Keiko blinks

I didn't hear anything about the mountain dragons other than them blocking the pass...

Then she winces

... which you already knew about because there's at least a few secret Karliss-worshippers here, aren't there?

Claire nods

Well, obviously! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to be here!

We knew that you were going to the pass, with Meena and that feral Inland Sea Dragon, and you were all a little on edge about what would be on the other side. After you opened the pass and were camping in the woods, one of our agents had a look. That's how I knew just where to meet you and what you could expect to find... it was just dumb luck that it was a village of your enemies... that somehow you aren't feeling much enmity toward.

She looks puzzled and a little sour by the end: it had been such a good plan.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-02-01 at 12:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

[Dragon Non-Battle]

"Just because you are not the intelligent rock dragon we suspected at first doesn't meant that you aren't one. Hiding in the mountains, knowing that the elves hunted his kind, but not why. Never speaking to them to understand. There were never any survivors, right? The chief said it wiped out whole hunting parties. Or there could be other monsters in the western mountains. Basilisks, gorgons...you want to go find out?"

Claire admits something she maybe shouldn't have, just because Keiko guessed. Cleo snaps to looking at one of the nearest Sthiss.

"Get the Obeah."
    "Claire, you're going to tell me who his agents are. The easy way."

"See, the elves aren't my enemies. The Sthiss were the enemies of the vulpans, just as much. But not these people, not here."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

The villager bows and scurries off.

Keiko blinks, then grins. Claire gets a priceless "oh crap" look on her face

You done messed up, Claire.

Claire looks pleadingly at the pair

You can't hurt the worshippers!

Keiko tilts her head, then shakes it

War god... always jumping straight to violence. There's a long gap between "no longer secret" and "summary execution", you know? And didn't you listen to a thing I said? Back home, we now live side by side with worshippers of the Jade Emperor, and it works just fine.

12. - Top - End - #102

[Dragon Non-Battle]

"Thank you." Such nice little dragonfolk.

Cleo grins at the rock dragon.

"I most certainly can. If I came to think that the only way to protect this place was to kill them, well, it's a hard job that I have. But like my mate is saying, there are better ways."
    "You're not going to make me think that, are you Claire?"

A few of the flowers clear away. Still restrained, but it should be a little more comfortable.

"Think about how you want to spend this life."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

The Tower - Floor Four

Phil gently lays Vaylith down on the bed where Luna directs. She does look peaceful, in a scaly sort of way. Phil tries to imagine what she'll look like when she's older. "I never saw myself as a family man," says Phil to Luna, "but I think I could find a way to make it work. Especially with you." He leaves on Luna's cue and goes to look for a window to look out of. The vision into a realm of chaos has given him things to think about.

((I'm sensing a moderate lack of direction here, or maybe I'm just distracted by life. What's the next adventure we had planned? Should we do a time skip to where Vaylith is older? After we wrap things up here of course, no rush.))
    Last edited by Nalix; 2016-02-01 at 04:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

The Tower- Floor Four

Zither looks confused by Hotaru's wink, since she's too old to be child and suspects that's not what Hotaru meant.

Actually, now I think on it, there's an apartment on the top floor devoted to Slaanesh, with a big comfortable bed soft as a cloud and a statue of a Daemonette.

Vaylith sinks into the bed and nearly wakes up, but doesn't.

I'm not sure what's happening next.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

It's not long before the Obeah hobbles up, looking skeptically and somewhat angrily at Claire

So... an envoy of the God of War, is it? Came to see if you can finish up the work Seerlan began, are you?

Claire's head droops

That wasn't our fault! They've always been aggressive!

The shaman harumphs at that, and shakes her staff at the dragon

But stirring up trouble for a peaceful village nonetheless! Now out with it! Who here serves Karliss?

Keiko winces... it might be a bit of an assumption that they'll have any say in what happens to the cultists.

16. - Top - End - #106

[Dragon Non-Battle]

"Doubtless they intended your people to prevail eventually, once the bodies were stacked high and no one could remember peacetime."

If Cleo is making things worse with her defense of Claire, I'm sure it's unintentional.
    She hangs back by Keiko. They could provide advice, as probably the only two here who've met Sthissa face to face...

"They should decide what to do with their own people. Unless it's something really horrible, then we can step in."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Well... it's horrible after a fashion

Clarie sighs

You know perfectly well our priest is your son Nara. Can you figure it out from there, or must I shame myself further?

The Obeah falls silent. Claire looks resolute

Holy Keiko is right, much as I'd prefer to argue. If we don't work together, we will only ruin all of our hopes.

The shaman scowls darkly

And what "together" is there for a creature like you?

Keiko stomps and scowls

SOMETHING is out there killing people! Claire insists it's not her, and the Elves said it's from the West and...

oh, crap!

Keiko's eyes go wide

MEENA IS OUT THERE WITH DEWDROP!

Keiko's nostrils flare and her fins stand out and dark flames begin to dance around her. Her lips pull back revealing her sharp, sharp teeth.

Anybody who doesn't want to find out the hard way what happens when I'm REALLY annoyed is gonna start cooperating now-ish. If you've got a problem with that, lemme know NOW so I can eat ya and get on with business!

Claire hunkers down and squinches her eyes shut, and the Obeah bows her head.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-02-01 at 08:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

[The Tower - Floor Four]

(I vote we do a timeskip to Luna's return, and then to a time where The Tower can be made a proper homebase. I'm not willing to RP both sisters for a scene yet, and I'm not sure if Earl would want to RP both Zither and Vaylith. Also, if there's an adventure to be had, then it's you running it, Nalix. Hopefully by the time 'that' ends, I'll be able to prep something involving Luna's homeworld.)‎

Luna smiles softly. "Things change, Phil." She kisses Vaylith's forehead. "Sweet dreams, cutie."

Then she makes way for the exit with Nisha. "We'll be back. Wish us luck!"

At this point, they disappear for several hours, during which Phil and Zither can get to doing stuff, until it's night and everyone wants to sleep... and then Luna returns.

There's a change in her, though. The spark in her eyes seems to be diminished, and she seems calmer overall. Colder, even. She walks up to the car (if it's still there) and looks inside, to see if there's anyone there. At the same time, she beeps Zither and Phil via comms to announce her return... from a Thanksmas party. "Got gifts, even."‎

If anyone answers, then she'll first make a beeline for Vaylith's location to greet her newly-adopted dragochild.

(Of course, we can outsource the running of the scene. Morty, perhaps?)
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2016-02-01 at 08:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Cleo wants to correct her, but she's finally admitting that she'll need to get along.

"For her, there is together with us, far away from here."

She waves a pair of hands and disentangles Claire.

"Honored Obeah, deal with your people. Make sure Karliss's followers are not a problem again. We are going west. Remember that the elves, while different, are not your enemies."

Keiko wasn't going to eat her, but Cleo's willing to cooperate all the same. She focuses on the mark she put on Meena, finding the right direction as she races off.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Keiko glares at the Obeah

You are going to behave! Fighting will come your way whether you like it or not - you NEED your fighters and hunters. Don't dismiss that part of your culture, or you'll be trying to figure out how to come back from near extinction. TRUST ME, it's not easy.

and she glares at Claire

And you are coming with me: if there's fighting to be done, I want somebody who's especially good at it.

And then Keiko charges off, followed by Claire who promptly takes to wing.

The path is west-northwest, and they'll have to go through (or over) the tunnel, or risk a higher pass and the prospect of feral mountain dragons.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-02-01 at 09:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Cleo winces.
    Karliss should be dead.
    His worshipers should be dead.
    Claire should be locked at the bottom of the ocean or subjected to something slightly less extreme than death but still very unpleasant. Like spending all her time with Keiko, perhaps.

But no, they are going to give peace a chance.
    "How difficult is it-"
    "To use Here into There to get us to the far side of the tunnel, where we split up?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Keiko grins

It's as hard as saying

Here into There!

And with a disorienting wrench, it is done. Claire looks decidedly woozy

Argh... think you could make that any less pleasant?

23. - Top - End - #113

[Dragon Rescue]

Cleo stands still for a few seconds, dizzy. At least she wasn't flying at the time.

"It could probably be worse..."

But that saved them a good chunk of travel.

Now, let's get back on the trail of Meena and Dewdrop.

"This way, still!"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Keiko grins ingratiatingly

Sorry... that's as gentle as I can manage with that one. Word of Recall is less disruptive, but you have to prepare it first. With Here into There, I can randomly go anywhere that I've been before... but the side effects are worse the further away the destination is. And unlike Teleport, there's no danger of disaster.

And off they go again! Claire grumbling just a little

It gets warmer and more humid as they go south, and progress slows as the ground gets boggy. But Keiko finds tracks in the mud and looks along their path to the right.

Over here: little footprints and bigger dragony ones going along together. We're on the right track... looks like they headed that way.

Cleo's trace will verify the direction.
    Claire steps into a puddle and slips. She scowls

They were supposed to be looking for a Forest dragon, why'd they go into the lowlands? They should have gone left, where it's dry.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-02-02 at 10:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

[Dragon Rescue]

Cleo helps pull Claire up from the puddle.

"A forest dragon might have ranged down into the lowlands too. Or they just saw something else."

It's not like they did this to be easy to find. So now, along the footprints they go!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Claire clearly doesn't like the water at all. Keiko, on the other hand, is not having any trouble at all.

Then she finds a set of oddly flipper-shaped footprints that soon intersect the ones they're following. Everything converges in an area of churned mud and trampled vegetation.

That doesn't look good.

Keiko sniffs at the footprints

It's not. They've been captured by Slaads.

27. - Top - End - #117

[Dragon Rescue]

"Other than 'what makes these footprints', what is a Slaad?"

Cleo pokes around the site of convergence, staying near the edges, getting the smell and look of things, and maybe a little of helping out that poor trampled vegetation.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Keiko looks around

Ugly froglike monster things from Limbo.

Claire hmphs

Told you it wasn't me.

Keiko snorts

Yeah, yeah.

So, looks like we're gonna have to rescue our friends. Slaads are strong and not terribly fast, but they can use magic so it's going to be tricky. My thought would be find the place and where Meena and Dewdrop are, charge in, and transport out.

29. - Top - End - #119

[Dragon Rescue]

"Meena's off that way, from what I can tell."

Cleo points.

"But if they use magic, we probably shouldn't charge in. Sneak up and look at them, then cause a distraction while we get the two out. Then finally, we probably need to get them all out of here good, right? So we'll be coming back."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Keiko nods

Yeah, these guys are bad news: we need to get rid of them.

Ok... let's start with the sneaky part, then.

So sneak they do... as sneaky as three dragons can manage to be, at any rate. Reaching the "village", the plight of their friends becomes clear: Meena, Dewdrop, and a thorny-looking brown dragon are all tied up uncomfortably near a large fire! Looks like the Slaads are planning a feast, and they're the main course.

Three of the wretched, slimy, greyish greenish brown beings are fussing over a large cauldron. There are sounds the imply more wandering around, but they aren't immediately visible.