New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Outside 44: Baby it's cold outside

The Tower

"Hi mommy," says Phil to Luna. "Normally I would offer to improve the legs, but I'm not sure how I would avoid making things worse." Phil follows her and Vaylith into the car. "I like the doll, that's clever. I've never seen something like it before."

Phil looks at Luna to see if there is anything different about her. His eyes might show him something new about her personality or her feelings, if they can read a power relationship in them. He gives her a reassuring hug. "I'm glad that you're happy with it," he says. "You seem different, but still you. Nothing not to love there. So are we going anywhere?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Outside The Tower

Zither smiles, and sets the vehicle into stationary, turns off the engine and opens the door so she can climb out and give everyone a proper view of her tail. It's long, slightly longer than her legs; it would brush against the ground if held straight down. The tail's surface is covered with small, red scales like the ones down her spine but smaller, and just before the tip it splits into three pseudo-fingers, and as she waves it around it becomes clear that she has full control over them, even if they aren't as powerful or dexterous as her main hands.

Vaylith stares at the dolls, and takes the one that represents her. "Iit's niice. I liike iit, Hootaruuu." She smiles up at her semi-parents.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2016-02-08 at 07:07 PM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [On and About]

"We have the maturity of children? For someone that passed a hundred, you have the be the most childish person I know Kirky. I can tell how angry you get just hearing that." She smiles widely at the drow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Out and About]

"Ooh, he's so maaad!" Tina harangues in a sing-song voice, turning the wheel gently as they round a bend. It was a pretty good comeback, she would admit in other company, but Dena gives Tina a voice again. Attempting to incite Kirk, she continues, "Gosh, Kirk, relax, we're just messing around." As though what he'd said was at all serious or grumpy.
    [Out and About]

Kirk's expression is flat, hardly angry. Not that Dena would let a litle thing like the truth get in the way of her jabs. "You got me. I'm positively seething."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

[Outside The Tower]

Phil's eyes do show some of the emotional and personality changes that have occurred as a result of the merge. In short: she's less impulsive and less prone to act on emotions alone, she has more peace of mind and therefore more calmness and mental stability, which also means she can now use the full extent of her abilities without melting down or undergoing a personality change.

Though these changes seem minor, they coalesce to form a more balanced and stable personality greater than the sum of its parts. Just how this will play out will be seen as time passes and I can fine-tune stuff.‎

Luna smiles and hugs Phil, too. "I've been thinking: I'm tired of jumping from mate to mate. Perhaps Vaylith will inspire us to stick together through thick and thin." She pecks Phil on the cheek. "Am I? I feel more stable. I've not felt this way in a long time. It's kinda weird. Did some training... I'm stronger. Also, where we're going is still up in the... you seem distracted, Phil."

Then Zither gets out of the stationary bug and shows off her tail, prompting Luna to nod in approval. "Operation successful. Of course, if you wanted any additions, I'd be glad to help, sis."

She smiles back down at Vaylith. "Call me mommy, darling." She says, stretching her hand out to rub Vaylith's head. "Merry Thanksmas, love."‎

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Cleo laughs - her voice sounds okay.

"That was the biggest fireball spell I've seen! Could you teach me to do that?"

It's no surprise that a Messenger of war knows really destructive spells, but the wood dragon is definitely impressed. Claire has earned a little bit of coolness.

[Outside the Temple Gate]

The angel has its purpose, fine. The Wizard certainly isn't here to be its friend. Cleo watches the guardians start to shake - and then become reinforced. She'll just have to do this the old fashioned way. Really unfortunate that they spend so much time aiming for the wings - she doesn't have any. Whatever Hei might be doing with his shape, this dragon resembles nothing so much as a snake. (not exactly alike, but that's a dragon that's appropriately snakey.) Add hands and horns and something not-exactly-a-rattle on the end of the tail, yes. But serpentine.

One clawed hand draws a knife from - I think it was just made to appear by magic. These mechanical guardians ought to provide no more resistance than appropriately warmed butter. Cleo slashes at the tentacles as they close in, a bit wildly. Lucky for her that several held back, preventing an escape she wasn't trying for. Most of the claws have trouble getting through her scales - but here and there, near the eyes and jaw, they land a scratch.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2016-02-09 at 11:55 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Claire preens just a little

Meteor Storm! It's a really great spell if you're out in the open and need to hand out some punishment! And sure! It's a bit tricky at first, but if you're good at stuff like that it shouldn't be a problem.

Keiko looks around

We done? I don't want to leave Meena on her own for too long...

Well... that shaman might possibly have been the leader of the raiding party... or maybe there's one nasty monster left lurking around.

7. - Top - End - #157

[Dragon Rescue]

"Cool!"

Cleo looks around the encampment.

"I think we're done here. That guy looked to be in charge."

And she scampers off towards Meena. Who isn't really on her own, with Dewdrop and the other around.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Keiko nods

Great!

Keiko follows Cleo, and Claire brings up the rear. Charging along after the trio is not challenging even ignoring Cleo's tracker: they leave quite the trail through the soft earth. It certainly looks like they headed straight toward the tunnel, and the tracker doesn't contradict it.

And then... they reach the tunnel mouth. No Slaad, no elves, no bears or mountain lions; no wild dragons... Keiko is panting slightly

That kid runs too fast.

And all the while, the tracker is moving swiftly back toward the village.

9. - Top - End - #159

[Dragon Rescue?]

"Couldn't even wait for us?"

Cleo pauses at the mouth of the tunnel.

"Well, she did almost get eaten."

Through the tunnel she goes!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragons Heading to the Village]

Keiko nods

I think my this point that little kid's pretty well terrified... I think I'd run straight home myself if I was her.

Claire chuckles, but then looks guilty and doesn't say anything.

Through the tunnel and down the path, all the way back to the village! Mena, Dewdrop, and the forest dragoness are all listening carefully to the Obeah: it's actually both ridiculous and cute to see the three all in a line looking at the old woman like some bizarre kindergarten class. Claire sighs softly

My lord... never will your oath be fulfilled until we can learn to be more like her.

Then she looks around with some trepidation to see if her follower's heads are up on pikes or something equally dreadful... but no such gruesome spectacle can be seen.

Keiko sits down quietly and waits, not wanting to interrupt this... whatever it is.

11. - Top - End - #161

[Dragons Heading to the Village]

One question: is the tracker still moving, while Meena sits still?

"Oath, Claire?"
    Unfortunately keen hearing for someone without external ears. There are at least 6 'her's that the rock dragon could be referring to. Probably the Obeah. Her opinion of the woman doesn't seem to match Cleo's own. But that's fine. When the civil war begins, Cleo can say 'I told you so'. Not until. It's the Sthiss's own trouble to make.

She listens for a minute, intending to join the kindergarten class at the end of the line, and hear what there is to hear.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragons in the Village]

Claire does mean the Obeah. She looks at Cleo

The general swore an undying oath to unite the packs: he doesn't consider himself a god of war, but of unity. He's just... not very good at it.

The Obeah is busy telling Meena how to be a friend to the dragons, and the dragons how to behave around people: how to live together as aggressive top-end predators.

We don't do that... we've never been good at convincing, only coercing...

Keiko nods

Doesn't work well, does it?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-02-09 at 10:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

[Dragons in the Village]

"Yeah that's a really hard problem, actually..."

Cleo sits down and listens. She can't say how to make people get along.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

The Tower

Phil chuckles. "You feel more stable yet you are just starting a relationship with a chaos mage. But I suppose that helps us compliment each other even more. To hear you talk about mates reminds me of the bio-mages back at Sun Circle. But no, my thoughts have been scattered lately, ever since we defeated the chaos champion in the tower. I'm connected to something, but I'm not even sure what it is. Did I ever show you this?" Phil takes out a golden pen from his backpack. "This is a magic artifact I spawned when I first arrived in the Nexus. I've never tried it, don't know what it does, except that it's a key for something, though the way keys like this work can be hard to predict." Phil looks at it with his power-tracing eyes but can't undo the knot of magic he sees in it. "I think this might explain things... somehow. Do you have any ideas?"

Phil glances at Zither's tail. To him such things are well within the range of normal, even for "humans". It is a nice looking tail, he thinks. He gives Vaylith a pat as well.

((I've got plans for a story here, if the rest of you want to follow it, though I apologize for the slow posting. My work has gotten out of hand this past week.))

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragons in the Village]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "Yeah that's a really hard problem, actually..."

Cleo sits down and listens. She can't say how to make people get along.
    Right now, the Obeah is talking about hunting: being mindful of other people's territories and conscientious in how much you take. About asking permission and being gracious and even helping each other.

Keiko is tired of "told you so"-ing at Claire and starts to poke around in the village for something more interesting. And in doing so, she runs across the Karliss cultists standing together loosely and watching Claire. They certainly don't seem to be mistreated, or even particularly inconvenienced except for presumably being required to wear their patron's holy symbol in clear view now. Keiko watches them watching Claire for a bit, keeping out of their view.

16. - Top - End - #166

[Dragons in the Village]

Cleo thinks this lesson is something of review for her, but it's good advice. Clearly define these things, clearly stand up for them.

Inconvenience can come later. First they get an identifying mark. Then bad things start to happen to them unofficially. Then it's made official. Then they're dead. Maybe someone will come to their senses and make this all right before then.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Abhorson's Gate]

"We're protectors," Wenomir says, biting back another comment about Arshan's opinions. Needless to say, he sympathizes with his descendants quite a bit more. No one should be forced into a path they had no choice in. It's as true for members of a noble family of necromancers as it was for a peasant soldier who chose to become a martial artist. "We put ourselves between the people of our land and things that would harm them. Through whatever means and methods that we deem necessary."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

[Abhorson's Gate]

"'My lands' aren't even part of the nexus, but I still choose to protect it anyway since it feels like the right thing to do. We haven't done a lot of protection recently since there hasn't been a need to. But now these beings have showed up and we are in need of aid. To protect the diversity which holds us all together." Cessie explains.
    [Abhorson's Gate]

"Hmm. Noble." Says Arshan. "I see how you have attracted my master's attention. Certainly, his wisdom has always found a home among those who hold themselves protectors of this world." He says. "Abhorson himself is a being of a time before time itself - before the creation of the sun and the stars, when the world was unformed, ruled for countless eternities in twilight by the Old Gods. He sees the branches of fate as easily as mortal men see the branches of a plum tree in a courtyard. Truly, you are greatly honored by his notice."

Kalya clears her throat. "I'm sure they are, Great Father." She says, probably sensing that her ancestor's manner is starting to wear thin on their guests. "It's a long journey tomorrow. Perhaps we should give them the opportunity to rest, if they would like?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

The Tower

"Mummy? Thiis woord I do not knoow." Vaylith looks confused at Hotaru.

"Thank you, Hotaru, but no thank you. This is the tail I've always wanted. It's already more than I ever imagined." Zither smiles; she'd hug Hotaru is she wasn't sat in the Beetle. It is already better than she'd ever possibly thought, and she loves it just the way it is- the way it would have always been. She hasn't fully mastered it yet, but she will. She looks towards Phil and his pen. "A pity it's magic, not technology. Most technology I can figure out, especially the mechanical stuff, but I only know three magical tricks and none are useful in figuring that out." Her tricks are elemental in nature, though the elements are neither chemical nor traditional.

((I'm up for that, Nalix.))
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

[Abhorson's Gate]

"That would be ideal," Wenomir says. He doesn't really need rest, as he's capable of going for days without it if he has to. But he seizes the opportunity to remove himself from a rather uncomfortable conversation. His worth isn't decided by who deigns to notice him. "I'm afraid our journey by airship wore me out."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Abhorson's Gate]

"That would be ideal," Wenomir says. He doesn't really need rest, as he's capable of going for days without it if he has to. But he seizes the opportunity to remove himself from a rather uncomfortable conversation. His worth isn't decided by who deigns to notice him. "I'm afraid our journey by airship wore me out."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris on a Stick View Post
    [Abhorson's Gate]

"Hmm. Noble." Says Arshan. "I see how you have attracted my master's attention. Certainly, his wisdom has always found a home among those who hold themselves protectors of this world." He says. "Abhorson himself is a being of a time before time itself - before the creation of the sun and the stars, when the world was unformed, ruled for countless eternities in twilight by the Old Gods. He sees the branches of fate as easily as mortal men see the branches of a plum tree in a courtyard. Truly, you are greatly honored by his notice."

Kalya clears her throat. "I'm sure they are, Great Father." She says, probably sensing that her ancestor's manner is starting to wear thin on their guests. "It's a long journey tomorrow. Perhaps we should give them the opportunity to rest, if they would like?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Out and About]

Kirk's expression is flat, hardly angry. Not that Dena would let a litle thing like the truth get in the way of her jabs. "You got me. I'm positively seething."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Out and About]

"Ooh, he's so maaad!" Tina harangues in a sing-song voice, turning the wheel gently as they round a bend. It was a pretty good comeback, she would admit in other company, but Dena gives Tina a voice again. Attempting to incite Kirk, she continues, "Gosh, Kirk, relax, we're just messing around." As though what he'd said was at all serious or grumpy.
    [Abhorson's Gate]

"I hadn't actually heard of Abhorson until when he contacted us but I get the feeling that many of the people of my world would compare him to a god. I am not sure how apt such a comparison would be but in terms of importance he certainly seem to fit the description." 'To some' she leaves unsaid. It was easy to see the generation gap between him and Kayla who had a more sensible attitude towards the dragon than the god-like image her ancestor painted. "But yes, perhaps rest is in order if we are to meet him."

[Out and About]

"Yeah, I can tell since you aren't giving us bedroom eyes." Dena replies, waggling her eyebrows. "If there is anything I learned is that Kirk-chan has two modes, horny and angry. Since he isn't the first right now, by logical exclusion he gotta be the second." She'd joke that it's still more modes than Tina who only got one, but she needed her on her side for now.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

[Outside The Tower]

Luna smiles and squeezes Phil's hand. "Let's see where things go from here." She peers questioningly at the pen, her eyes scanning for any abnormalities. "Tried using it to write? The 'key' could be a simple act of writing on any surface." At this point, the old Hotaru might have grabbed it and tried writing with it, but this one instead... ah, speaking of which: "Don't call me Hotaru anymore. I'm neither Hotaru or Raikiri, I am Luna. Yet, even that's a pseudonym... maybe I should find something to replace the 'Hotaru' pseudonym."

((Up for it. I'd have liked another foray into the post-apocalyptic world of african ninja girls with Japanese codenames, but I have exams imminent. Can only participate, I'm afraid.))

She pats Vaylith's head and taps her lap so she can come sit. "Mummy and Daddy are short for mother and father, and it means the two people who love you and take care of you, who you live with. Phil is your daddy, and I'm your mummy, sweet thing." She pecks Vaylith on her snout.

She nods in agreement at Zither. "I'm glad to see you so happy, sis. If only you liked hugs."‎

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

The Tower

"I suppose I could just write with it," said Phil, returning the squeeze. "I thought about that, but was concerned that whatever I wrote would come alive or something. All I know is that it's a key." Phil starts to look for something to write on and finds an old metal plate that seems to accept the pen's ink. "I like Luna, and names are things other people give you, what really makes them real? Whatever name you use, it will mean you to me, and that makes it real between us."

When Phil tested the pen, nothing special happened aside from making a mark, but when he set it down with intent to write the pen suddenly moves as if possessed, touching down and lifting off on the metal almost at random. The ink becomes words, forming like a rubbing rather than writing. When finished it reads:

Seek the demon of Miller's Praise
    Its kin in legion wait unborn.
    The demon's blood shall paint the way
    Herald the prayer of sleeping storms.
    The fiend's art shall be a shield
    The blood of demons shall it ride.
    The Power lost shall be revealed
    Through the chaos in its Eye.
    The way is shut, the path is lost
    The gods, running, dying, hide
    Yet mortals still may pay the cost
    And with their love, remain alive.

"Whoa," says Phil, reading what the pen wrote. "I'm not sure I like the sound of this. What do the rest of you think?"

((What I have planned can go any number of ways. I'm stating here that Miller's Praise is a nearby town that hopefully Zither would have heard of. I have plans for the rest of it, but as far as prophecies go, this represents one of many possible futures. Think of each line as a chapter in a story that hasn't been written yet. Better, think of it as Phil casting 'plot' and this is the description where you get to influence what it means.))
    Last edited by Nalix; 2016-02-12 at 11:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Dragons in the Village]

Cleo thinks this lesson is something of review for her, but it's good advice. Clearly define these things, clearly stand up for them.

Inconvenience can come later. First they get an identifying mark. Then bad things start to happen to them unofficially. Then it's made official. Then they're dead. Maybe someone will come to their senses and make this all right before then.
    The Obeah moves on to discuss the importance of letting the children and hatchlings play together: how familiarity from a young age will make it easier for everyone later. Finally she wraps up with an admonition to be on guard against divisive influences and disruptive teachings ending with a tale of how Karliss' followers had turned a peaceful land into a desolate ruin of death and sadness.

Claire blinks in surprise

Wait a sec... we didn't do that!

The Obeah turns at her with a scowl

Your implicit teaching of "might makes right" inspired the psychotic Snarak and Alnan packs to their deeds, and they claimed Karliss as their own. Given their magic, it certainly seems like your Lord listened to them.

Claire shakes her head slowly

Never. We have never had a follower among those bloodthirsty monsters: it was Alnan Pack who eventually killed our Lord's mortal form.

The Obeah snorts

Then your Lord hasn't even kept tight reign on the misuse of his own name. So, tell me, fallen one: what did your Lord hope to accomplish?

Keiko is content to watch for now, but she matches Cleo's concern - marking of Loyalists led to dreadful things during the Imperial Civil War.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-02-13 at 12:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

[Dragons in the Village]

"Maybe you didn't intend it, but you did it."

Cleo chuckles grimly.

"There are worse things than Karliss. If he never answered those packs, maybe they did."

Tilts her head.

"Obeah. What would your lesson say about Karliss's followers wearing that sign?"
    That's a divisive influence if she's seen one.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2016-02-13 at 12:45 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragons in the Village]

Claire's head sinks... that was both a dreadful thought and an explanation for many things she had thought strange.

The Obeah smirks at Claire then turns to Cleo

I have marked them only while we waited for your return. There are none of them I would consider bad people, and I think I see why now: they are truly followers of Karliss, the Unifier... not whatever demon has masqueraded under his name.

Our own beloved goddess has been mistaken, as well... I have spoken to her myself, and learned of the relationships between Keiko, her sister Tamamo, and Inari: Karliss should always have been subordinate to Sarissa. To that end, she works to negotiate that arrangement with him even now.

Our people's war is not over, and will not be anytime soon... but at last there may be hope.

Keiko looks at the still trepidatious cultists

I think you otta go comfort poor Claire, she's a wreck.

They nod and head to the now despondant shiny mountain dragon.

26. - Top - End - #176

[Sadness in the Village]

Cleo smiles.

"There may."

Then the wood dragon lays down and covers her eyes with a pair of hands. She just doesn't know what to make of any of this. Looks like the Obeah has everything figured out, in her weird way. Right?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

[Village]

Keiko slides over to Cleo

I wanna go home! Tiresome drama and politics is tiresome, and my sides are getting sore. I need a nice warm bath and a proper bed, not grass mattresses and cold dry mountain air.

We can go to the Temple, they've got hot spring baths!

28. - Top - End - #178

[Village]

Cleo lifts her head up a bit.

"I like it here. But also, I want to go home. Warm water sounds perfect."

She gets back on her feet.

"Let's tell everyone goodbye."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

[Village]

Keiko's tail wags and she looks up

Hey, guys: we've got stuff to take care of back on the other side of the world. Behave yourselves, and we'll come check up on you later!

Meena gets up and runs over to wrap Keiko and Cleo each in a tight hug

Awww... I'm going to miss you two!

Dewdrop comes over too, and gurgles her own fairwell.

30. - Top - End - #180

[Village]

Cleo gives Meena a tight hug.

"Not for very long, you won't. And you'll be busy, right? It was great to meet you."

She grins at the Sthiss, and then puts a hand on Keiko's fin to leave. By magic, she assumes.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine