New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Erfworld 60 - Page 54

Mathamanacy huh? Erfworld has a mancer for everything it appears.
    Last edited by pclips; 2007-06-14 at 08:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 60 - Page 54

I can see it now, Parson keeps gaining extra utilities until he has a whole suit of armor made for a Dungeon Master! What do you think his potential helmet could do?

Resident Meatloafologist.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Not sure but look at Stanely strut his stuff now that Wanda got his mind off Parson's mistake.
    Harry Potter d20

Its a rule of the Net, the more arguments you get into revolving around politics or religion is inversely related to how hard you try not to get involved with them.

"What's wrong with you?"
    "Me? Why I'm insane!"

Thanks to Deimy for the Shinji pic

Yuri's Theme Song Yuri's Fight Song

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Is it just me, or has parson recieved incrediably useful items with his breakfast. Maybe its Erfworld trying to give him the tools he needs to survive there

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

"The turd guy"

Ow, that's got to hurt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Hmmm... it immediately occurred to me that a good answer to Stanley's question might start, "Well, now that we just torched most of Ansom's siege towers and croaked a bunch of his heavies, I figure he might need to change plans and come in through the tunnels, so I wanted to ask him about..."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stanley is an agreeable mood now the payment will come out of Parson to Wanda for that bit of work. Humm interesting turn by Turdboy to actually answer that riddle of the Table set up :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Yeah, that should be a total softball for Parson. Hopefully this gets the story past the "convincing Stanley not to disband him" part and farther towards the main assault on the city.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Ohhh.....cool toy...a magical item that works with his watch to provide some cool calculations...allows Parson to crunch numbers even faster than normal...that can't be good for Ansom...No wonder Parson's upkeep is so high...if he keeps getting really useful stuff every turn, he will soon be nigh like unto a GOD!!!

ok, maybe not, but at least it justifies things a bit...

10. - Top - End - #10

Wow. The look on Parson's face in frame nine. I think Stanley should be careful, Parson may look like a lump, but he could be very dangerous.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just thought it super funny to see Stanley stride on in with his hairy chicken legs and Heff pajama's. But yeh, it will be interesting in the least to see his reaction when he finds out "The Plan" is mostly done with and a complete sucess. It seems Wanda is very good at distraction, verging on professional even.
    ...still keeping my jack boot on the neck of the little man...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    ...Your life isn't going to get any worse...

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Let's see... The watch costs half a million?

And the summoning spell costs 350,000 since Wanda cast it.

So, even if Parson had turned out to be completely useless (Which he hasn't), Stanley has just made 150,000 shmuckers.

Well, that's one benefit of the spell that the creators overlooked. And for a calculator wristwatch, even. I'd hate to imagine what someone with a graphing calculator would be worth...
    Last edited by Ruduen; 2007-06-14 at 09:11 PM.
    I have a part-time job as an NPC...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Indeed, but then there is the oportunity cost of having a chief warlord with a leadership score of only 2.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Mathamancy might be just... math.

Now that has disturbing implications. If units are created knowing the rudiments, how often do they actually learn new skills and concepts?
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

15. - Top - End - #15

cool Re: Erfworld 60 - Page 54

Ha! Gotta love how Rob and Jamie are still keeping the Naughtymancer's real naughtiness on the down low.

Couldn't help noticing, when Parson is off-panel in the third panel, his dialogue is in quotes; but when Stanely is off-panel in the next-to-last panel, his dialogue isn't.

Also, imaginative Stupid toy, clear explanation of both Mathamancy and the linked Eyemancers, and boop that's gotta hurt being "turd guy" after all this time. Fun fun!
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I still can't help but wonder how much of this stuff Parson would have had off the bat if they'd paid the full fee...

So the issue with Misty is pretty close to what many of us thought -- redeveloping her sense of self breaks the link.

Indeed, but then there is the oportunity cost of having a chief warlord with a leadership score of only 2.
    Which brings up an interesting point. Since warlords apparently have a level, one wonders what Parson has to do to level up -- and how much leveling up will help his Leadership.
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2007-06-14 at 09:34 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    Math can be powerful. The spice is life...

I doubt we'll be seeing Parson getting moral stipulations regarding the Linked Mancers. It'd do more harm than good from the sound of it.

18. - Top - End - #18

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    Couldn't help noticing, when Parson is off-panel in the third panel, his dialogue is in quotes; but when Stanely is off-panel in the next-to-last panel, his dialogue isn't.
    I think that's because the panel in question is a flashback to the moment in the past when Parson examined the armband; his dialogue isn't what he was saying at the time, but is his description of the moment being shown. Thus, the quotes.
    Last edited by Caledonian; 2007-06-14 at 09:37 PM. Reason: changed word
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now that has disturbing implications. If units are created knowing the rudiments, how often do they actually learn new skills and concepts?
    Seems like it is just math...as in, magic that does math. Like calculators, only using magic instead of electric circuitry.

Since the stupidmeal toy uses Parson's calculator, it seems possible that electric computational devices from out world actually employ/channel Mathamancy magic. Imagine a full-fledged PC in Erfworld; it might just make Sizemore's head asplode.

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

I hope that watch has a good battery. Unless... the armband can somehow power it.

And a point I just noticed: Plastic? In a pseudo-medieval fantasy wargame? That's very, very odd. Even with magic, you wouldn't expect such a substance. Who - or what - is behind the Stupid Meals, and how much do they know about Parson's world?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh dear lord. That wasnt something I ever wanted to see stanley wearing :P

At any rate, given that parson gets a stupid meal every morning, he's going to accumulate quite a few nifty gadgets in a short ammount of time....

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Seeing Stanley strutting around like that made me go "Ew."

But at least he's in a good mood.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, first panel... Parson's Eyebook has a keyboard on it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I hope that watch has a good battery. Unless... the armband can somehow power it.

And a point I just noticed: Plastic? In a pseudo-medieval fantasy wargame? That's very, very odd. Even with magic, you wouldn't expect such a substance. Who - or what - is behind the Stupid Meals, and how much do they know about Parson's world?
    Obviously the Titans are still there behind the scenes maintaining the world... the arken hammer appears to be plastic after all...

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by BoneLord View Post
    Seeing Stanley strutting around like that made me go "Ew."

But at least he's in a good mood.
    Stanley looks like he's in a good enough mood to keep smiling if he'd walked in on Ansom and his men planting their banner on top of the Tower of Efdup.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by ryos View Post
    Seems like it is just math...as in, magic that does math. Like calculators, only using magic instead of electric circuitry.
    Presumably it's the magic that (possibly among other things) lets you look at a possible unit combat and come out with the probablilites of various outcomes. I don't know many tbs games, but in Battle for Wesnoth, before you engage in any combat you can ask it to tell you the possible outcomes in terms of how many hitpoints each unit could end up with and to give you the probablility of each. And now it looks like Parson can do something like that. Hmmm...
    Last edited by Jorkens; 2007-06-14 at 09:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice job with Sizemore (turd guy, heh) handily explaining the Misty problem. The idea of a gestalt spellcasting mind was not something I had considered. Now to see how the Tool reacts to news of the latest engagements if he doesn't know already.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Parson's Stupid Meals give him items that give him the abilities a player has when playing a strategy game, which is what Erfworld is.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Half a million, eh?

Stanlie: "Well, if all else fails we can pawn the item and make a profit off your corpse in addition to a giant uncroaked warlord!!"

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex View Post
    Nice job with Sizemore (turd guy, heh) handily explaining the Misty problem. The idea of a gestalt spellcasting mind was not something I had considered. Now to see how the Tool reacts to news of the latest engagements if he doesn't know already.
    Hence the advantage of my proposed spin on why "the turd guy" is in the situation room -- it puts the good news (overall strategic victory) ahead of the bad news (the individual battles were technically defeats).