New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21466162636465666768697071
Results 2,101 to 2,121 of 2121
  1. - Top - End - #2101
    Banned

Default Re: The Threshold IC (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

Spoiler: Bobin
    Show

Isn't targeted.

2. - Top - End - #2102
    Banned

The sharp guard, taking position to defend the noble, immediately senses that something is amiss. He draws in a deep longueful of breath to hollar for the sleeping guards to come to their assistance.

Then his eyes cross, and he collapses in a heap, unconscious.

The other guard, finally catching up with current events, looks at his companion, and closes his mouth shut with a look of determined concentration.

The noble, for his part, seems to have shaken off the effects of the poison. He withdraws a step, to get out of the gas cloud.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

And thus, it is Jack's turn. Did he already throw another flask? I fail to recall. I'm out the door now, I need to purchase my least favourite thing: Tea.

Yurgh. Tea. It's like warm water with an aftertaste. You can make tea taste better by adding, say, lemon, milk and/or sugar - question is, since you can do the same with warm water, why add the tea in the first place?!

3. - Top - End - #2103
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack, who still has his own flask in hand (because he shot the first guy), throws it to the two remaining adversaries, hoping to finally put them to sleep.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Roll in the OOC.

If the Noble still stands, Jack will whip out his rapier and move next to him
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #2104
    Banned

Spoiler: More gas!
    Show

Noble: (1d20+3)[6]
    Guard: (1d20+7)[27] - he gets a bonus, cause he's already holding his breath.

The noble, finally overwhelmed by the persistent chemical assault, sags to the ground, happily aslumber. The remaining guard looks over his shoulder, back to Jack and Bobin - shrugs and takes a deep breath. He, too, falls down, merrily asleep. As the season dictates.

Back at the table, Ogg nods in confirmation:

Got cow, and pig, and sheep. They also brought me fruit, not sure why?! He points to each item in turn.

Do you know a lot about ... in-her-i-tage and .... suc-ces-sion? They say I'm ... the old king, and I must make a new king. I kinda think they're a little confused!
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-12-23 at 06:04 AM.

5. - Top - End - #2105
    Ogre in the Playground

"Heritage? Suction?" Jon starts a motion to scratch his head, but realize he's still holding the big rib. He instead munches on it while he thinks.

"Th'first one, I think it's when someone dies. Th'other, I think it's somethin' leeches do when y'got y'rself a fever o' somethin'." Jon takes another bite from the rib. There's grease all over his chin and the front of his mail now. "But y'know, I mean, they been tellin' me crazy stuff too. But it ain't make no sense neither. There was somethin' 'bout some ghost though..." Jon grows thoughtful again, and takes another bite for fuel.

"'nyways, old o' new, you're th'King, right? Ain't no-one can tell you what t'do." Jon looks at the nearest food tray. "Is that tea?" He pours himself a cup of it with his free hand. Tea makes him think of Ma' Gertrude. Ma' Gertrude makes him think of being nice and helpful. Being nice and helpful makes him think of bad people. Jon's eyes light up. He takes his cup of tea and approaches the King at such a distance he can whisper into his ear.

"An' I've been hearin' th'people 'ere ain't nice. I mean, I'm pretty sure they're bad people. I think they been talkin' t'you just to make you," Jon takes another bite to give him time to fetch the right word from his memory, "t'make you confused an' all. I mean, that's what bad people do, they confuse you all th'time."

Jon takes another greasy bite as a reward: He should be pretty proud of the logical merits of his argumentation.

Show
    I think tea is used to trick yourself into thinking you're not drinking hot water. Tea relies heavily on delusions and self-deception.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

6. - Top - End - #2106
    Banned

See? That's what I thought! People who use long words and talk a lot are never up to no good.

That's why I like this guy!
    Ogg unexpectedly pulls one of the waiters into a bear hug. He never says a word. The waiter struggles in vain to free himself, then is unceremoniously dumped once Ogg's mind engages a new track.

We should grab as much food as we can carry, and run away.

Hey, where did the oily guy go? Truffle. Or .. some such.

7. - Top - End - #2107
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think t'was Druffoe? Or somethin'?" Jon offers. "Really wanned t'get t'know the guy." Jon sighs. "Guess he has stuff t'do. We see him later? Also, I think I saw some scrawny people outside. Guess some o' them enjoy some o' that food too."

Jon takes control of the nearest tablecloth, taking however great care not to make everything on it clatter on the ground. He then uses the tablecloth as a makeshift bag to gather as much food as he can.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

8. - Top - End - #2108
    Banned

As heists go, it's unlikely to go over in history as one of the great ones. Surrounded by wealth accumulated over generations of stealing from the poor and giving to one self, Jon and Ogg collect bread and cheese and ham and sausage, wine and ale and brandy, making a great picknick basket of a table cloth, and making for the exit.

The servants - non-combatants, politely disinterested in anything they aren't being paid to care about, and slightly amused by the whole thing - do nothing at all to intervene.

The exit is at the south end of the hall. A single guard stands by the door, looking as if he has absolutely no clue what's happening, but he feels like whatever he does, it's going to turn out to be his problem, and he somehow did it wrong.

So did you come here alone? Asks Ogg, Weren't there some other guys too? Small. I can never keep track of small people. Of course .... most people are pretty small. Knew a giant once. Grulbar. Never lost track of him ... or, wait - where's Grulbar?!

9. - Top - End - #2109
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon gives his big—well, it's now marginally smaller and full of bites—cow rib to that last guard they pass. "Keep up th'good work." Jon pats the guard on the shoulder as he passes him and gives him an encouraging smile.

When Ogg talks about Bobin and the Sky Captain, Jon turns pale. How did he manage to get out of there without at least calling for them? Jon shakes his head. He looks back to the manor, or maybe fortress, they've just exited. Somehow, going back in seems like too much of a hassle, with all that food and everything. (Jon is somewhat sure that the King was less careful than him and picked up not a little portion of the silverware with the food.)

Jon sighs. "Well, yeah, I think they're right behind me when I come t'you. But I think they got stayed behind." Jon thinks. "Maybe they're with Truffoe?" Jon shrugs as much as the heavy bag of food permits him. "Let's go find people who'd like some food an' eat wit' them, a'ight?"

Show
    Jon will wander around the city searching for the first hungry looking people they can find and invite them to partake. Hopefully, that won't trigger a riot or anything.

10. - Top - End - #2110
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bobin lets out a small sigh of relief as the last guard falls to the floor, overcome by the noxious fumes. He takes a moment to listen for any sound of possible reinforcements or other commotion. He then turns to Jack. "Should we leave them here? We might make more noise moving them then is worth the effort. Can you make it through the fumes to check on Jon?" Bobin asks in a whisper. Bobin stands cautiously at the edge of the gas.

Show

Listen - (1d20+10)[30]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

11. - Top - End - #2111
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good choice" comments Jack softly as the last guard decides he doesn't want to be left standing alone against the two small thieves.

"Sure thing." he tells sis friend. "One sec." He frisks the nobleman, getting whatever valuable he had on his person (and he is bond to have something magical, considering he is a magic user, not to mention his own signet ring) and tries catching up with the Jon and the Ogre. However, when they get there, they are nowere to be found. Not only that, but the table and every ediblenitem on it are missing. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out what happened. He goes back to Bobin.

"I guess we'll have to find our own way out of here. How about the way we came? he asks Bobin.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-12-23 at 02:35 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #2112
    Banned

Spoiler: Nobleman
    Show

He has a scroll tube, containing several scrolls. He clearly has a wand of Sleep. He also has a small travelling spell book, a ring, bracers and an amulet. Finally, he has a purse containing coins to the amount of 850 gold, and a small key. The head of the key is some sort of seal, symbolic propably, not immediately meaningful.

Spoiler: Listen
    Show

Psst! Hey!
    Go away. Sleeping.
    But - did you hear something?
    Heard nuthin. Was sleepin!
    We should check.
    Oh for the love of the Lords Below and beyond, what? There's guy's on duty who aren't asleep. Let them check!
    But suppose they're ... like, knocked out, or something?
    *Groan!*

13. - Top - End - #2113
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack loots everything. He pauses on the key. "What do you think is that for?" he asks Bobin.
    Show
    what could I roll to get more info about the Key, or what it could open?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #2114
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reassured that the sleeping guards in the barracks aren't about to rush out into the hall, Bobin shrugs at Jack's query. "One way out is as good as any other. I can't hear commotion, so hopefully Jon made it out all right with Og," Bobin whispers. He looks at the small key that Jack offers. A small jewelry, or lock-box? I couldn't say."

Show

Bobin will try a quick general Knowledge or Appraise check (same modifier) on the off-chance something comes to mind.
    Knowledge - (1d20+1)[2]
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-12-26 at 05:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

15. - Top - End - #2115
    Banned

Spoiler: Bobin
    Show

**previously**
    Oh for the love of the Lords Below and beyond, what? There's guy's on duty who aren't asleep. Let them check!
    But suppose they're ... like, knocked out, or something?
    *Groan!*

Could you two morons keep it down!
    Sorry sarge ... I heard something!
    Then why are you still here, and not out there checking it out?
    Didn't want to go solo, sarge - suppose they're just waiting to pick us off one by one?
    Alright - both of you go!
    I didn't hear anything! Well except his babbling ...

Also, on a check result of 2, Bobin imagines it could be the key for damn near anything.

Spoiler: Jack
    Show

It's a high quality key, for a similarly high quality lock. Knowledge: Nobility might be an option, or Appraise. Failing those, and int check might do.

16. - Top - End - #2116
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Int check ftw: Int - (1d20+5)[22]

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #2117
    Banned

Spoiler: Well
    Show

If there is any one group of people .... well, it's not really that they aren't trusted. Or that they lean particularly toward evil. Nor are they, as such, hugely disliked. It's hard to define, precisely, what it is about the gnomes. If there's any group of people to somehow rival the goblins in terms of ... something undefined ... it's the gnomes.

They run the banks. You might even reasonably claim that gnomish money runs the world.

And maybe that's it? Gnomes are skilled at all kinds of diplomacy, and magics - with a focus on illusion - and quite possibly that kind of people just can't really be as nice as they seem! Right?

So the gnomish banks all have little sigil. And while human sigils make sense - wheat and sickle or sea and sail and so on - the gnomish ones don't seem to. This one might be, maybe, a latch and something that's supposed to look soft and flexible, like a handkerchief maybe.

Regardless, it seems to be a key for a gnomish bank locker.

18. - Top - End - #2118
    Ogre in the Playground

When Jack realises what he is holding, his eyes gleam of golden delight. He puts the key and the signet ring in a special pocket inside his trousers and tells Bobin: "Time to go. There's plenty of things we need to do before the night is over." He smiles as he says that.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #2119
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: This thread has exceeded 50 pages. Please begin a new thread.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #2120
    Banned

Good heavens, I never noticed. Nor figured it applied to IC threads, though why it wouldn't I dunno. Making Thread II forthwith.

21. - Top - End - #2121
    Banned

And thus I present to thee: Thread, the second!

Don't forget to subscribe =)