New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 71 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default The Threshold IC (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

To call Mayor Finnegals house a mansion would be an overstatement - but not by a very large margin at all. It isn't showy, Gulbrand Finnegal isn't a man to brag with neither his wealth or his influence. So it being large isn't to bolster his status. Rather, quite a lot of people live in his house: Two servants, two guards, his wife and children, and a few other close employees.

On the other hand, Finnegal isn't rich just for the hell of it. He likes the finer things in life: Decent carpets on the floors, paintings on the walls, a few very proper brandies in the closet.

You're all gathered here, by invitation. Finnegal is a tidy dwarf. His braided beard is long, going towards white, and very well kept. He wears a black jacket over a rather bold red shirt - all of his clothes, surprisingly, of a sturdy but comfortable wool, rather than finer silks or linens.

Finnegal carries no weapons, and little jewelry. He welcomes you, and makes sure everyone has something in their glasses - brandy, wine, anything you desire. There are some perks to an invitation from the mayor.

You may realise I've called you all here to talk about the bazaar. In the interest of the town, we need to carefully navigate this situation. We have a path to the outer planes - right in our back yard. Horrible things could come through - and wonderful things.

Now, I will make sure get the good and avoid the bad. As mayor, that's my duty. But to do so, I need to know what's going on, who's who, what's what. For this, I need you. Some of you are young, all of you are inexperienced, but all of you are competent. I have faith in you. And if the king can constript you for his armies, I can certainly hire you for low risk information gathering. Right?

I have a simple task: Go to the bazaar. Look around. Find out anything you can - but for starters, especially find out what the deal is with this Radiant Dawn. Find out anything you can about their leader.

Spoiler: Recruitment thread
    Show

One day, Ma Gertrude was out walking. She was gathering a few herbs for her tea, enjoying the weather, humming a slightly naughty childrens tune - and as it happens, she was wearing her favourite red shawl. She walked near the old stone arch, out by the ruins, and lo and behold: A portal opened to Sigil, the City of Doors at the very epicenter of the multiverse.

This was five months ago.

So a stable portal to Sigil has been discovered one league from the idyllic and peaceful farming community of Silverbrook. It's easy to open - wear red, hum a childrens tune - and now that it's open, people (and things that may be considered people only out of the deepest politeness) are coming through to this side. There is traffic the other way too, but that's less concerning.

So around the portal has sprung up another small community. It has no name - but the citizens of Silverbrook call it the bazaar. Merchants selling otherworldly stuff, explorers curious about this bit of prime material plane, a few prospectors and settlers, and missionaries.

For the time being, this new 'settlement' is still smaller than Silverbrook - but it's growing fast, and naturally that is of concern to the mayor of Silverbrook, who has taken it in his own hands to keep an eye on things.

'As in all things, there is risk and there is opportunity. we will see to it that there is less of the former, and more of the latter.'

Mind you, the townspeople have only the haziest idea of what the planes are, what Sigil is, or what to expect of either.

Mayor Finnegal has decided to assemble the most likely of his townspeople and send them to keep an eye on things around the portal.

Spoiler: Silverbrook

Silverbrook holds most things you might imagine a small farming community would. There is a mill - owned by Mayor Finnegal. There is a smithy, and the smith is a surly ork by the name of Gnarl. There is a guesthouse called The Loom, which doubles as a sort of trading station. On a small hill outside town stands a small temple (I don't do gods - invent any you like, all deities are worshipped in any and all churches). Father Antonius holds sway here, a sombre and serious man.

There are no magic shoppes in this small, rural farming village.

It holds something on the order of 1500 souls, has low wooden walls and a militia of 50 men, none of whom are combat trained.

Spoiler: The Bazaar

The bazaar is a random, weird and ramshackle a place as might be imagined. It has no leaders, no hierarchy, no authority. There is one group who'd like that differently - with them in charge, naturally. This is The Esteemed Council of the Sigilite Mercantile Charter. SMC for short. This group of beings - primarily humanoid in overall appearance - have erected a small stronghold, propably some sort of Leomund's Trademarked Magical Abode.

Another group, The Seekers of the Radiant Dawn, are missionaries come to this prime to spread the word of divine beings not worshipped here (this is in direct contradiction with what I just said - I'm making it up as I go along!). Also mostly of humanoid shape, these are prettier than the Mercantile Charter.

There is fairly scary business selling cheap labor. They are great big skittery insects. A big sign outside reads 'Excess Labor Force To Rent For Cheap!'

Less surprising to those knowledgable in such things, there is a Grumzangers Arcanery franchise. There are numerous booths selling weird otherplanar metals, cures and potions brewed on Acheron, and so on. There are also purchasers - buying food and raw materials, and primitive local arts and crafts.

Spoiler: The 16 or so ....
    Hide
    System: Basically D&D E6, low-op, story focussed
    Player Count: 3-5
    Style of Play: Elements of open world, story - I'm not particularly focused on combat
    Allowed Content:

PHB
    DMG
    MM
    Psionics
    SRD
    Other stuff ... well basically, don't get your hopes up, but I'll consider case by case

Character Creation: 32 point buy or 4d6b3 - honestly I prefer point buy, I fail to see the charm of rolling randomly
    Backstory: Yes
    Experience: You start with 1 xp
    Wealth: Standard WBL
    Ability Scores: Isn't this the same as char gen?!
    Hitpoints/Health: Max level one, then rolled
    Alignment: None - but I do frown very heavily on chaotic stupid, and in-party shenanigans
    Other Notes:

Spoiler: Cast of characters:

Mayor Finnegal: A dwarf, a miller and a refined gentleman. Rufkin Finnegal treads carefully a narrow path between opportunity and risk. He is reputed to be as rich as a count.
    Gnarl the smith: He's an ork. He ponds metal as if he has some strong negative feelings towards it, charges stiff prices, and keeps to himself.
    Ma Gertrude: Kindly old lady. Makes tea. Knits. Is reputed to have no magical ability in her old bones what ... so ... ever. This confuses everybody.
    Odmun: Human. Innkeeper. Well liked by everybody, but mostly because he tells jokes and stories, and plays the fiddle. Everyone knows he can't cook worth a damn, and he waters down his ale and alcohol. If you want proper drink, you somehow talk your way into an invitation from Finnegal.
    Father Antonius: The local vicar. Tall. Solemn. Dresses in muted colors. Gives surprisingly fiery sermons for such a silent, brooding man. Now, also a main villain.

Faelthalaniel: A mindflayer. He has bought some land. Apparently, he also makes potions of great power.

Farahd: An inquisitor called in by Antonius. Has demonstrated the ability to cast spells - he is the first NPC to do so.

Quintus Executus: Chairman of this branch of the Sigilite Mercantile Charter. Seems human, feels ... not quite so. Wears very visibly expensive rings. The way he speaks makes you think he wishes he could charge you for the words.
    Lux, the Illuminant: Leader of the Seekers of the Radiant Dawn. Clearly some sort of celestial being. She has a halo.
    Fizpander: Proprietor of Grumzangers Arcanery. He's a goblin. While dressed - and generally mannered - as a respectable gentleman, he does tend to caper when excited.

Grimfangel: A proprietor of various species of lifeforms, either unhatched or fledgeling
    Ghuzla: A juggler
    Arngren: A tired looking vendor Now a resident of Valhalla.

Sigil:
    Hush and Shade: Co-Proprietors of an establishment named after them. They are cambions. Also information brokers. Also convinced they shall meet the NPC's again.
    Odo: Astral guide.
    Gerripyke: He has a shop, and sells many types of wondrous items.
    The Jade Lady: Some girl in the park.

Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2016-11-08 at 10:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold IC (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

Ayla had never met a mayor before, her home hamlet being too small to have any formal office of power; and when the ringmaster of the circus was summoned to the mayor of some town, it was usually about some regulation they broke when setting the tents and such. Therefore, she had a rather unpleasant expectations when receiving her summons; somewhere in her mind, she even considered the idea of writing a note to the innkeeper and disappearing from the town. It really was becoming a habit.

Besides, even with her lack of experience, Ayla knew you was supposed to dress up when meeting important people, and... she looked herself over, a colourful tights, a bag on one shoulder, a woven basket in the other hand, and, due to certain recent logistical issues (a stone imp went into the backpack, meaning a coil or rope hat to go into the basket, meaning it became to tight for Rati), a snake curled around her neck. That certainly didn't fit "dressing up"...

Reality was way more pleasant then her imagination, though; not only did the mayor not scold her, but actually complimented? And, offered her a job? Which consisted of something she was doing anyway?

"That's pretty grand a deal!" she exclaimed, "I mean, thank you, mister Mayor, Sir, for your trust - I'll try not to disappoint you!"
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tobias quietly looks around, his thoughts internal, as though if he were to speak, he would betray to the Mayor just how unsuited to the job he must be. Is that dirt still under my nails? Am I supposed to wear a hat? Look at that girl's clothes. What if I break something while I'm here? People shouldn't drink alcohol before something like this. Who will watch the neighbour's sick cat?

Then again, this was his own Mayor. The Mayor knew him, likely more than he could possibly know the Mayor. Sure, he knew the dwarf would have issues resisting the carrots from his family's garden, or the name of his pets, but it seemed like a lot more was unsaid when Tobias's presence was called for.

Accidentally, his thoughts tumble out of his mouth, "I think I should bring soap", before downing a glass of juice that he hopes was his.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    "That's pretty grand a deal!" she exclaimed, "I mean, thank you, mister Mayor, Sir, for your trust - I'll try not to disappoint you!"
    Well yes. You're a complete newcomer to our small town, so lets not get too ahead of ourselves: I trust you more than whatever comes through that portal - uh, no offence young lady. You'll have ample opportunity to prove yourself trustworthy, I'm sure.

Now, on to business - unless anyone else has something to contribute?

5. - Top - End - #5

Bobin left his cloak, hat and pack with a servant at the door. He absentmindedly examined the paintings in the hall, and tried to pat down his hair, before he and the rest of the guests were ushered in to see the Mayor. Bobin had met the Mayor once before, soon after he had first arrived in Silverbrook. It had been a very brief exchange, but Bobin had the feeling that the white-bearded dwarf wasn't one who would quickly forget a face.

Feeling a little out of place in such a refined setting, Bobin brushed at his dusted knees in a futile attempt to make himself presentable. He listened carefully as the Mayor spoke, trying not to cough after taking too large a gulp of brandy. He looked around the room, recognizing most of the faces of the big folk, though he knew none by name.

Bobin wasn't too surprised by the Mayor's words. It was, he thought, the sensible thing to do. And from what Bobin knew of the Mayor, he was nothing if not sensible.

"I'm sure we can find something out, Mr. Mayor. I take it you'd like us to be discreet?" Bobin asked.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Were-Conspiracy View Post
    Accidentally, his thoughts tumble out of his mouth, "I think I should bring soap", before downing a glass of juice that he hopes was his.
    Finnegal doesn't miss a beat: Personal cleanliness is paramount. It dictates the opinions others form about us, and helps keep us healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    "I'm sure we can find something out, Mr. Mayor. I take it you'd like us to be discreet?" Bobin asked.
    What I actually want if for you to be smart.

I want you to establish a presence in the bazaar. Let people know you're there. Pitch a tent, if you like. Make a booth. Come up with something. And start learning what it's all about, and what those ... people, things, whatever ... what they want, why they're here. If it's unlikely they'll be honest - play them against each other.

Another thing. I want to know what's on the other side. You'll go through, and come back, and tell me. Possibly set up a presence there as well.

Now then. What say you?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

The young bowyer enters the house, his blue eyes a little wide at the size of it all. He's dressed modestly but looks respectable enough, well at least he wore his vest tonight.. that's what he always wears when he's expected to look his best. That, and straightening out the mop of sandy hair on his head.

Hawk finds it strange to be receiving attention from someone like the mayor himself, but he has a natural confidence about him. The mayor's words of praise work like a charm. He knows I'm competent, and he has faith in me. I never realized the mayor had been paying attention to me, but I'm sure glad I've impressed him!

Then Mayor Finnegal starts to explain what their task will entail. "We're going into another world?!" This is beyond anything Hawk imagined he'd ever do, and he's filled with excitement. Although he wasn't quite sure why the mayor chose Hawk for this job. But there must be a reason. "I'll do whatever I can.. Sir."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Well yes. You're a complete newcomer to our small town, so lets not get too ahead of ourselves: I trust you more than whatever comes through that portal - uh, no offence young lady.
    "None taken, and thanks for being honest", Alya chuckles, somehow getting way more comfortable way in this circumstances way faster then it seems likely - perhaps based on a fact that it appears all the candidates chosen by the mayor are almost as young as she herself is... well, except the halfling, perhaps, but then halflings always look like children. sipping her own juice, she sets her luggage on the floor and lets rati slide into the basket - it doesn't quite close with both a snake and the rope inside, but at least it lets Alya rest a bit all the luggage is a bit heavy to hold it all the time.

"Set a booth, I got you, and... you said, we're going on that side? That's..." she throws her empty cup to the ceiling, "So..." with a cartwheel, she appears right next to the others and grabs two more cups before catching her own and starting juggling them, "Exciting!"

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
    Then Mayor Finnegal starts to explain what their task will entail. "We're going into another world?!" This is beyond anything Hawk imagined he'd ever do, and he's filled with excitement. Although he wasn't quite sure why the mayor chose Hawk for this job. But there must be a reason. "I'll do whatever I can.. Sir."
    Another world? He chuckles, What they tell me is it's very center of all things, the place where all worlds meet.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]"Set a booth, I got you, and... you said, we're going on that side? That's..." she throws her empty cup to the ceiling, "So..." with a cartwheel, she appears right next to the others and grabs two more cups before catching her own and starting juggling them, "Exciting!"
    Yes indeed. Um - those cups are imported ceramics, hand painted, and ... quite difficult to replace, for one thing.

He places a small wooden box on the table.

You will need some funds. I have little idea what is of value to these beings, but this contains a thousand gold pieces, and another five hundred in gems. I ... will be wanting receipts, ladies and gentlemen.

10. - Top - End - #10

Tobias is far more familiar with buying and trading things of such a relatively low cost, like with the hardware store or the family's produce for sugar and spices. Now here a box sits with all that gold and gems. His frugality is mostly what shapes his idea: "Do you think we ought to find something small, but unique to Silverbrook, to sell? Like a token for their travels, a souvenir. Or perhaps something eye-catching, like the lady's colorful tights?"

Tobias doesn't want to address his real concern of actual going into the portal. What if they appear in the middle of a lake, or blizzard, or a civil war? "I need to get my dog, too".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Were-Conspiracy View Post
    "Do you think we ought to find something small, but unique to Silverbrook, to sell? Like a token for their travels, a souvenir. Or perhaps something eye-catching, like the lady's colorful tights?"

Tobias doesn't want to address his real concern of actual going into the portal. What if they appear in the middle of a lake, or blizzard, or a civil war? "I need to get my dog, too".
    I'm not sure. That's one way of doing it, certainly. But you might also set it up to buy - after all, a lot of the people in the bazaar are there to sell. I know there are some buying 'primitive crafts' - like common household items, pots and pans and so on. Or you could sell information - the sort of questions people ask tells you a lot about their desires, no?

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm not sure. That's one way of doing it, certainly. But you might also set it up to buy - after all, a lot of the people in the bazaar are there to sell. I know there are some buying 'primitive crafts' - like common household items, pots and pans and so on. Or you could sell information - the sort of questions people ask tells you a lot about their desires, no?
    Bobin rubs the back of his neck, looking thoughtful for a moment. "Well, is there any reason why we couldn't do both? Buy and sell, I mean. It might allow us to interact with a wider variety of people. And we could always stick with what works, and drop the rest, if it comes to that."

Bobin sets his empty glass to the side. Is that what business people do? Drat! I've never really given it much thought... I should have paid more attention to how Aunt Tabitha ran her shop before I left home, Bobin thinks to himself, glancing around the faces of the big folk.

"Of course, it's only a suggestion," he adds.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Another world? He chuckles, What they tell me is it's very center of all things, the place where all worlds meet.

Yes indeed. Um - those cups are imported ceramics, hand painted, and ... quite difficult to replace, for one thing.

He places a small wooden box on the table.

You will need some funds. I have little idea what is of value to these beings, but this contains a thousand gold pieces, and another five hundred in gems. I ... will be wanting receipts, ladies and gentlemen.
    "Right, sorry", Alya carefullt sets the cups down and takes a step away, "Bu-ut, in your place, sir, I wouldn't trust myself with that much money..."

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Bobin rubs the back of his neck, looking thoughtful for a moment. "Well, is there any reason why we couldn't do both? Buy and sell, I mean. It might allow us to interact with a wider variety of people. And we could always stick with what works, and drop the rest, if it comes to that."

Bobin sets his empty glass to the side. Is that what business people do? Drat! I've never really given it much thought... I should have paid more attention to how Aunt Tabitha ran her shop before I left home, Bobin thinks to himself, glancing around the faces of the big folk.

"Of course, it's only a suggestion," he adds.
    "Sure, we can do that. Eh, how do we split our work? I suppose we should introduce ourselves first, right? I'm Alya, used to work in the circus just a while ago - but then the Bazaar seemed more interesting, so..."

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #14

BlackDragon

"Where all worlds meet! Sorry, the idea of all these worlds is still hard to understand. Oh, but you can call me Hawk, everyone does. Mostly I just make bows and arrows. And I've never seen so much money before! Do you have any idea what to expect? I mean, we've all heard a few stories of what's come out of the bazaar, but it's hard to tell what's real. We could maybe buy and sell things and set ourselves up to let people from both sides know what everyone's offering, or looking for. Make it convenient for everyone to tell us what they're here for. Although it might be hard for such a small group to form a presence on both sides.

"

The boy's thoughts are flitting from thought to thought with a rapidity which is a little hard to follow. The lure of adventure and the challenge of figuring out what to do are filling him with excitement.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

An Import/Export concern. What a capital idea, then he mumbles, mostly to himself that's actually a very good idea,, before going on, I realize asking you to go through the portal is a tall order. But we do need to know what's there. And let me be very clear here: I want you to come back. First sign of danger, you come straight back.

To answer you, Hawk, no I don't know what to expect. That's part of the reason I'm hiring you to find out.
    He smiles slightly at this.

Oh, and finally, miss Alya ... don't worry, I'm not, specifically, trusting you with all this money. Also ... I will be wanting those receipts.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

One of Finnegals' guards knocks before ushering a panting young man in. The young man seems lost for a moment, looking around the assembled people, then turns to Tobias and starts talking frantically:
    "I'm sorry I'm late... I mean, I'm sorry mister mayor sir." He obviously thinks Tobias is the mayor, but continues before anyone can correct him. "Antonius, I mean Father Antonius, he told me t'come here so I wanted to come but then I didn't find Toby —Toby he's my dog— but I'd left 'im outside th'church to talk wit' Antonius, I mean sorry, Father Antonius, mister mayor sir and then I had to run around town but Toby, he's just asleep next to t'chuch where I'd left 'im I'm sorry I'm late I swear... I mean I swear, sir mayor mister sir. I left Toby outside your house, mister sir mayor."

For an instant, it looks like the new arrival's going to calm down and someone can point to him who the real mayor is. And then: "Oh, where are my manners. Ma', she'd wallop me in th' ear if she was 'ere. I'm Turnip, I mean, I'm Jon, I mean, sir mayor sir, but they call me Jon Turnip 'cause there's already Big Jon, Long Jon, Lame Jon, Old Jon, Jon Brown... Turnip, it ain't my name, it's 'cause they boys they made a joke 'bout me, and Da' said it stuck... I mean it stuck, sir mayor sir."

Jon wears a simple peasant garb, with under it, some obvious mail. He wears a large backpack and an assortment of weapons. He looks too big and clumsy compared to the youth of his traits.

Spoiler: Jon Turnip
    Show
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

17. - Top - End - #17

"I wonder if there are people in a line to go through, or a fee, or a schedule. It might be easy to just stick our heads in, for a peek. If someone will take the box to the door, Ralf can carry it".

He begins to walk toward the door. He turns on his heel, worried he broke some etiquette rule.

"The dog. Not carry the dog, he is a dog. He can carry the box with ease. I'm Tobias of the Green family from here in Silverbrook. They sometimes call me Toby".

And off he walks, running when he hits the road outside.

18. - Top - End - #18

At the slight break in Jon's hurried speach, Bobin attemptes to catch the young man's eye and gesture towards the actual mayor, but to no avail. Ah well, there's no harm done anyhow.

As Tobias hurries out the door, Bobin realizes that he has yet to introduce himself. "Oh.. um... The names Bobin. I'm from a small farming village to the north originally, but I've been traveling about for a while now. It's a pleasure to meet you all." He then attempts a bow, but only succeeds in looking like he's about to be ill.

Straightening, Bobin steps forward and reaches for the money box. "Don't worry, Mr. Mayor, well make sure to have your receipts, and we'll be careful through the portal." Turning to the others he adds: "Shall we try to find where our friend has got to?"
    Last edited by Woggle; 2016-01-28 at 11:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll try to find him", Alya nods, "couldn't go far - and, mister Mayor, sir, if you don't mind, I'll leave my things here for now - eh, don't mind Rati, he's actually a quiet one..." with that, she darts out, looking around for any signs of Toby. If none would appear, well, Silverbrook is a fairly small town; surely someone could tell her where Tobias from the Green Farm headed?

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon looks in utter confusion. The mayor just darted out after he explained him everything... and the mayor is his dog? Or wait, what? Oh, that wasn't the mayor actual, that small bearded man is the real mayor. Jon turns to mayor Finnagles and beams a sheepish smile, waiting for the man to tell him what to do.
    "Huh... where's everyone goin'?"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Hawk stands, confused for a moment at all that just happened. Before he has a chance to speak up and help Jon Turnip, everyone starts to make for the door. This is not how I thought secret meetings with the mayor were supposed to go. Hawk had been expecting more of an evening out of this. It was also a little surprising how unplanned this mission still was.

"Hi, Jon. That's the mayor right there," he says, indicating Finnegal. "We're going to check out the Bazaar and see what's going on. But I guess Toby was in a bit of a hurry to get started!"

He nods toward Bobin, before turning back to Jon once more. "Oh, you can call me Hawk. Let's go see where they're headed."

22. - Top - End - #22

As Alya heads out to follow Tobias, Bobin tucks the money box under his arm. "Right. Good day, Mr. Mayor."

What did the young man say his dog's name was? Ralf? I'm sure he's friendly...
    Bobin heads out to the entryway, grabbing his cloak and hat on the way, then steps out the door. He glances around for a dog, then carefully steps towards it, not having a whole lot of experience with canines (and the beast is larger than Bobin). "Ah, you must be Ralf. I'm Bobin, a friend of Tobias," he says, very gingerly giving it a little pat on the head. That's what you do with dogs, right? Give them a pat? I think so.
    Bobin then sets about securing the money box to Ralf, and waits for Jon and Hawk by the door.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

This is assuming that Ralf is both at the door and is friendly towards Bobin, and also has some sort of saddlebag or harness or something

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon beams to Hawk, "huh... a'ight", and starts following him. Things were simple again. "Goo'bye, sir mayor sir," says Jon, to the right mayor this time. Once out of the building, Jon realizes he didn't think to check to see if the mayor is a nice person. Well, nevermind, he must, because father Antonius wouldn't send him to a bad person, would he?

Looking at Bobin: "hey kid, why are you putting th'box on Toby?"
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-01-28 at 04:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Bobin looked up from scratching "Ralf" behind the ears as Jon addressed him. He ignored the 'kid' (Maybe he's never met a halfling? No matter) and took a moment, glancing back and forth between the dog and Jon, before registering what Jon meant.

"Oh... this isn't Ralf? Oh dear. Well, I suppose I'll just carry the box myself then." Bobin quickly lifts the money box off of Toby, and tucks it back under his arm. "Sorry about that, Toby." Turning back to Jon: "You wouldn't happen to see another dog around, would you?"

25. - Top - End - #25

Meanwhile...

Tobias, on his jaunt, makes sure to ask a person or two if they've seen Ma Gertrude around. At this point, he isn't too concerned. Good for her, going out, staying away from the house. Still, I would have liked to tell her. Maybe I'll leave a note for her if I have time, he thinks.

He hits the path to his house and lets out a loud sharp whistle. Ralf is more than "well-trained". Ever since Tobias's meeting with the nature spirit, he and Ralf have seemed to have a special bond. A few sounds or quick gestures, and Ralf knows exactly how to respond.

Ralf may also be the bravest creature he knows. If anything too weird or dangerous were to happen in or around the portal, he'd trust Ralf to assist.

Ralf comes at full tilt. Tobias yells, "Get your stuff!", and waits a little longer for his dog to return, a giant dirty sack in his mouth. They move quickly together, heading back to the Mayor's place. He spots the small crowd outside.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, so that's Ralf?" Alya stumbles upon Tobias on his way back, "Oh, he's cute... That lad you almost missed, the one who came just as you left - he also has a dog, you know? Named Toby - so we'll have to call you Tobias, I suppose... That's nice - I love animals, you know?"

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"There was a big nasty one and I kicked 'im 'cause he try to bit Toby and 'nother one was nicer so Toby play with 'im but then we went to church an' met father Antonius. You're a nice kid, ain't you?" Jon's eyes narrows as he seems to strain under such a gigantic effort of concentration.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Detect Evil on Bobin who's not Evil

"You seem a nice kid. How ol' are you? I'm fif... wait sorry sixteen. You can play with Toby if you wan' but don't throw stones at 'im." Without waiting for an answer, Jon turns to check if the Hawk man is still near them. People have a tendency to run off at unexpected moments in this place.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Unless I say something, for now on, Jon and Toby will be following Hawk wherever he goes.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-01-29 at 05:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

"Tobias it is then. Sorry about missing you Jon, I just needed to fetch my companion. I'm Tobias. This here is Ralf. Alya, was it? Feel free to entertain him for a moment. He's big and tough, but also very friendly unless I tell him to be otherwise".

Tobias takes the sack from Ralf and opens it on the ground. Inside it all of the gear for Tobias and Ralf for when they go on 'adventures'. Tobias grabs his pack, then starts to secure Ralf's armor.

"Just in case", he says to no one in particular. "I'm saving up for a pack saddle".
    Last edited by Edgar Snow; 2016-01-29 at 09:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Bobin finds Jon's intense scrutiny a little disconcerting, but the moment quickly passes. Maybe its time I clear this up, he thinks after Jon calls him a kid for the third time. I've been called worse, and I know its not at all malicious, but there's no sense in prolonging it.

"Ha, well, you may not believe me, but I'm actually almost thirty. I'm a hafting, you see, one of the little folk. We don't get much bigger than this when we're full grown," Bobin says, pointing to his chest, smiling up at Jon. " Of course, twenty-nine is still considered quite young for halflings. We tend to live rather longer than you big folk, and so we grow up a little slower as well ." Bobin leans over to give the dog Toby another little pat, this time trying to avoid getting licked. "Thanks for letting me play with Toby, he's quite pleasant."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, thanks!" Alya immediately kneels besides Ralf and strokes the dog's head, "Who's a good boy, Ralf? You're strong and brave, aren't you? And you're a good boy too, right, Toby? Eh, I mean Toby the dog - eh, I don't mean you're not good, Tobias - eh, one minute, I'll grab my own things, left them at the Mayor, and then we're all ready, right?"

Extended signature