New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 429444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2121
  1. - Top - End - #1591
    Banned

Default Re: The Threshold IC (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

There is a buzz as a bug flies past you.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

There is a bug - called an oldenborre in danish. Ironically, it's name in english would be eaten by the profanity filter. But the part of it that wouldn't be is 'chafer'. So it would be a ****chafer.

This bug has a very destinctive sound as if flies. Not a buzz, like a fly, but a brrr - like it has a prop engine.

It is a highly particular bug. It's size, weight and density clearly communicates a lifeform that shouldn't be able to fly - at least not without the use of a jump pack. It does so regardless, presumably out of sheer pig headedness. And it does so with the aforementioned sound.

That is the sound you hear when the bug goes by.

I'm not telling you all of this to stealthily hint at a bug that's dangerous. Even though it's big by danish standards, Denmark happens to be the safest place in the world, and nothing here is dangerous.

I'm just ... explaining the sound. Brr. Like a tiny prop engine, going past. You can make the sound, if you like. You know the fart sound children make with their mouth? It's similar. At little more loose. Like a 1 inch WWII P-51 Mustang.

2. - Top - End - #1592
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon watches the fly buzzing by. Only then he seems to register the Sky Captain's question. It takes him a couple more moment. "uuuuuuh... Fael? We find some stuff y'think is his, no? Before we come down th'hole?"

Show
    EDIT: Clarification.
    Fael = Faelathaniel = squidface = Illithid.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2017-03-22 at 05:13 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #1593
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack turns towards Jon as the lad makes a surprisingly good point. "True." concedes Jack "But then why is he here? And why leave his stuff on top of a 3000ft cliff, not to mention the Wyvern? Anyway, I take it he's been here a while, he might yet point us in the right direction."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #1594
    Banned

Spoiler: Not a fly!
    Show

I didn't write several lines of text explaining what this particular type of beetle sounds like - just to have you assume it's a fly.

It's a beetle! :p

5. - Top - End - #1595
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bobin rubs his chin thoughtfully, listening to Jack and Jon's words. "It raises the question of how Faelathanial would have made it down here. Somehow he doesn't seem like the spelunking type. Then again, we don't exactly know that much about him. I suggest we approach with caution, in any case. I'm certainly curious who might be down here."

Bobin closes the shutter on his lantern most of the way, only letting out enough light so as not to trip over anything.

"Shall we?" He asks, then begins moving carefully and quietly toward the light.

Show

Heh, don't worry about it, Keen. I'm pretty sure this site doesn't have a name for the hex color that Bobin uses; I just use the hex number: [color= #33A1C9] which gives this color

Bobin will attempt to approach the source of the light as quietly as he can:

M.Silently - (1d20+9)[17]
    Hide - (1d20+8)[13]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

6. - Top - End - #1596
    Banned

The devastation of the orc settlement does not make for a pleasant background for a stroll.

Regardless, Bobin carefully approaches the building, taking care not to make any sound - but despite feeling quite happy with his own stealthiness, as he draws close to the it, a door opens, and a figure emerges. Tall, dressed in robes, and with a veil across it's face, it turns and carefully locks the door behind it.

The building itself is ... remarkable. What makes it so is that, while everything else is burned and broken, this building has clearly been meticulously reconstructed. The stones are still charred, but otherwise, it has been rebuilt - strong, fortified.

The figure turns to face Bobin, clearly aware of his presence. When it speaks, it's voice is ... strange. A hoarse whisper, somehow unpleasant on the ears. The figure is, however, unarmed, and clearly signalling a non-offensive stance.

... are you here coming with harm?

There is a dryness to the voice, sandpapery, a crackling quality like crumbling a sheet of paper in your fist. Also, it's syntax is weird.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-03-22 at 06:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1597
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon lets his friend answer. In the meantime, his face contracts, as he tries to look past the veiled figure and distinguish its aura.

Show
    Detect Evil.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

8. - Top - End - #1598
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is that him?" Jack asks Jon in a whisper, as they witness the failure of poor Bobin's stealth attempt.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #1599
    Banned

Show

It's not him. Other than the shrouded face, there is no resemblance. Furthermore, Fael does not possess sound generating organs - he speaks only mentally.

Spoiler: Jon
    Show

It's a weird aura. At first, Jon is slightly repulsed by it: It's messy, crawling like an anthive, and it somehow feels ... dirty. However, while it's many, many threads and whorls make it looks chaotic, in fact it's calm, grey - a very pale aura. Why is it pale? Jon doesn't know.

Another thing: It is quite decidedly not human. Or even humanoid.

You're definitely getting too much info out of that ability. But it's so much fun ..... =)

10. - Top - End - #1600

Bobin straightens and takes a step back as the door opens. He watches intently as the robed, veiled figure steps past the threshold. When the figure speaks, Bobin is not sure what to make of its strange voice, but manages to muster an answer.

"No. We saw a light, and sought to determine its source. We didn't expect to find anyone else down here." Bobin moves his right hand slowly toward the shutter of the lantern he's holding, pausing before opening it and asking: "Do you mind? I'd like to give a bit more light. And, if I may, what brings you to this place? Do you live here?"

Bobin waits for an answer before un-shuttering his lantern, careful not to shine the light directly at the robed figure. He does take the time to examine the figure from head to toe.

Show

Spot check to take note of any details, symbols or the like, on the figure's robe or veil.

Spot - (1d20+7)[21]
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-03-23 at 11:14 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1601
    Banned

We are not minding light. He is right, we are living here, working here, long.

You are beings of surface world. Are you bringing harm here?

He - or she, who knows - remains cautious. There is tinge to the voice as if remembering unfortunate reactions from surface dwellers.

Show

The clothes are entirely unremarkable. Fine quality, but getting old and worn.

The clothes do ... move, slightly strangely? Bobin is a little uncertain precisely what's underneath.

12. - Top - End - #1602
    Ogre in the Playground

"Huh," says Jon. He stops focusing on the aura as the moving parts make his head spin. He blinks a couple times. "Hi there, dear sir o' madam. My name's Jon Turnip. 'cept it's not really my name 'cause..." Jon's voice trails off, as he realizes this might not be the best setting for long explanations. "I'm sorry, I'm Jon, that's Toby," Jon points to Toby's head, jutting out of his backpack, "an' that's," he turns to point at Bobin and Jack, but seems to hesitate for some reason, "eeerrrrrrrrr, that's, huh, our friends."

13. - Top - End - #1603
    Banned

As voilence continues to not happen, the figure seems to slowly relax. Still alert, but less so.

We greet Jon, Toby and their friends. We are Zurl'gech. You have come here for what?

14. - Top - End - #1604
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, we were just passing through" says Jack reassuringly, injecting himself into the conversation "We are trying to reach the curch in Silverbrook, but then we saw your light and we came to investigate out of curiosity... So, who are you and what are you doing here, if we might ask?" finishes the goblin, in an almost casual tone.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #1605
    Banned

Easy will it be for us to show you the tunnels that lead to the church - it is where we came in.

We are Zurl'gech. We are living and working here.

Why you are entering Silverbrook Church from this way?

16. - Top - End - #1606
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon's face locks into an angry frown. "There are bad guys in th'church! They do mean stuff, I mean, very nasty stuff, t'our people. We gonna stop 'em."

17. - Top - End - #1607
    Banned

The figure tilts it's head to the side, and asks: Would it not easier be to enter through the door, even so?

18. - Top - End - #1608
    Ogre in the Playground

"But that's just what they would expect, isn't it?" points out Jack. "We'd rather push them out of the church (and the town, if we manage) without too much resistance, but you can only push if you are already inside, you see."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #1609
    Banned

Tilting it's head to the other side - maybe signalling 'you have a point,' but maybe it's 'that makes no sense' - the reply comes: We would show you the tunnels, if it you please. It is where we came in. We it know well.

20. - Top - End - #1610

Bobin listens attentively to the robed figure, watching with interest the creatures mannerisms. "Leading us to the tunnel would be most helpful, thank you. Out of curiosity, what sort of work are you doing down here?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1611
    Banned

This time, there is definite hesitation. The figure carefully considers, weighing each word before speaking.

We ... live here. Humans live top. Farm earth. Build, spread.

We live below. We ... also farm, build. Spread.

Come - we will show you tunnels.

It starts towards the east, same direction as the river flows.

22. - Top - End - #1612
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack follows the stranger as he gets moving. As they walk, he keeps with the questions: "Fascinating" he comments "What do you farm, down here? Anything good? If so, you could sell it 'upstairs' and get things in return. You know: trade."
    He waits for the answer before asking the second question: "You said you were spreading, but we don't see anyone else. You mean you aren't alone here? And if you aren't why are you the only one with a light?"

Show
    SenseMotive - (1d20+3)[22] because this smells fishy. Not that Jack cares, mind you. He does not mind deceptions, as long as it's not at his expense.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #1613
    Banned

Our .... metabolisms are from humans different. The figure, now in front, is clearly uncertain how to proceed. After a pause, it says: Humans fresh food eat. Grain from crops, meat from animals.

Zurl'gech are different. We ... at the end of the cycle. This is where we eat.

Show

You're pretty sure this ... person? ... has come into conflict with surface dwellers before - maybe because surface dwellers find the nutritional needs of his ... race? ... unsettling?

I don't know if anyone might have a skill that could reveal the nature of the word Zurl'gech. Say ... dungeooneering.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-03-25 at 02:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1614
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Dugeoneering - (1d20+5)[22] I do, I do! Let's see... ;)

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #1615
    Banned

Spoiler: Zurl'gech
    Show

The Spotted Corpse Beetle - recognisable for it's black and white pattern, reminiscent of a skull - is an insect about the size of a human thumb. It thrives on various sort of offal or carrion. Corpse Beetles from Swarms, but are not dangerous to living creatures under normal circumstances.

However, a Swarm of Carrion Beetles has the ability to 'learn' or absorb memories or abilities of dead creatures. Thus, if a Swarm derives it's sustenance from a once-sentient stock over a sufficiently long timeline, the Swarm attains sentience on it's own. They can then also animate the remains of said sentients.

Such swarms have a name for themselves: Zurl'gech.

Colonies of Zurl'gech can thrive in many places: Ancient battlefields, cemeteries and the like. While still technically harmless to living beings, the Zurl'gech - like any sentient - will defend itself if threatened.

For comparison, see Hellwasp Swarm.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-03-25 at 04:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1616
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon doesn't seem much interested in the discussion. It's good enough that the strange stranger can take them to the church. Jon follows without any hesitation. "Fahrad, Antonius," mumbles Jon. His expression turns gloomy.

Jon overhears something about the stranger eating at the end of things. That seems a weird thing to say. Jon doesn't understand it, but it doesn't seem polite to as

27. - Top - End - #1617
    Ogre in the Playground

At the mention of the word Zurl'gech, a chill runs down Jack's spine. He's familiar with the term (the things one picks up when one is captain of a ship!) and its gross implications.
    Still, the goblin anything if not practical. He keeps following the creature, even offering his reassurances. Still, he'll be glad to leave the place behind.
    "I guess everyone has a place in this world, and since we do not compete for the same resources we can just leave each other in peace." he states. "We are thankful for your guidance in this place, and if we will try not to disturb you and yours any more."

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    hypothetically, would this thing be able to animate a specific person? Say, an inquisitor... ;)
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-03-26 at 06:30 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #1618
    Banned

Show

There is some sort of weird alchemy behind the process. As far as Jack is able to recall, some time - and decomposition - is required, and the beetles basically eat the soft bits, secreting a liquid that forms a sort of ....

Basically, Jack doesn't really want to think about it - it's pretty gross, and while yes, any sentient could be animated, it would be monstrous to look at. Which is quite surely why the one you're following is clothed in all-concealing cloth.

You are not disturbance. But we have worry over surfacers reactions.

Perhaps, in return for showing tunnels, you will give us news of the surface world?

As you talk, the Zurl'gech leads you through the orc settlement, down a path along the river, and eventually up a worked tunnel, towards the surface.

29. - Top - End - #1619
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure. Do you have a specific question in mind or do mean in general?"
    Jack is not overly concerned about what the beetles want to do with said information.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

30. - Top - End - #1620

Bobin listens with some curiosity as the Zurl'gech and Jack converse. He's not sure what to make of the robed figure's vague allusions to how and what they 'farm', but with no apparent intention towards violence Bobin is happy to follow. Having a guide lead them to the way above will certainly save some valuable time, and how the Zurl'gech live their lives isn't Bobin's concern.

When asked about news, Bobin adds "We'd be happy to give some news of Silverbrook. I'm can't offer much of other places, though."
    Show