New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 934495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2121
  1. - Top - End - #1741
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold IC (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

After Antonius moves forward to take a swing at Jon, Bobin takes a step to Jon's side, focusing mental power into his mind blade as he does so. Attacking warily, Bobin aims a strike at one of the joins in Antonius' armour, hoping to place the blade between the plates.

Spoiler: Actions, Round 5
    Show

5-foot step to move to Jon's side and within striking range of Antonius. Move-action to charge Psychic strike, then a melee attack.

Attack - (1d20+7)[9] threat on 26+ CritConfirm - (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage - (1d4+2)[4] CritDamage - (1d4+2)[3]
    ColdDamge - (1d6)[4]
    PsychicStrike - (1d8)[4]

Spoiler: Status, Round 5
    Show

Bobin
    M NG Halfling Soulknife, Level 3, Init 3, HP 37/28, Speed 20
    AC 20, Touch 14, Flat-footed 17, Fort 4, Ref 7, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    +d6 elemental Mind Blade +7 (+8 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (18) +7 (1d3+2, 20/x2)
    Dagger +6 (+7 thrown) (1d3+2, 19-20/x2)
    Mwk Chain Shirt, Darkwood Large Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition None

Bobin's blade fails to find an opening and instead skitters across a metal plate.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-06-08 at 05:57 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

2. - Top - End - #1742
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, come on!" grumbles jack disheartened as the poison does not produce any tangible results. 'It never works...' he complains in his head.

Still, no time like the present to start shooting. A bolt in the neck is a sure thing when it comes to stop people from rampaging. With a fluid motion, Jack whips out his crossbow and fires at Antonius, hoping to find a chink in his impressive armour.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hit - (1d20+9)[13], Dmg - (3d6+3)[9], roll=CritConf]1d20+9[/roll]
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #1743
    Banned

As you fight, the townsfolk who joined Antonius and the hardliners who came with Farhad are being herded out. Antonius cries out to them:

Rally, you fools - the threat to our town is no less, and victory still within our grasp. To arms! Once more.

But as - to a man - they just look away from him, something seems to shift within him. The firmness of his resolve visible wavers. Then he presses on, furious, taking a step towards Jon and once more swinging the black mace.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Attack: (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6] still with a dc 13 reflex save if it hits

4. - Top - End - #1744
    Ogre in the Playground

Toby is thrown away from Antonius as the priest swings with his mace. Yet, the weapon crackles against Jon's arcane shield, giving the young paladin ample time to dodge.

Toby barks and jumps again, trying again to grab Antonius' weapon. I want that stick!

Jon steps back out of the priest's reach. His eyes glow golden as he pronounces: "Target." Three concentric regular polygons shine in front of Antonius' helmet. "Listen, sir, please give up, I mean, y'can't win 'nymore, 'vryone's gone. Please!"

Spoiler: Actions, Round 6
    Show
    Toby tries to hinder Antonius like last round. Aid Another - (1d20+2)[4], vs. DC 10. Give Jon +2 AC against Antonius' next attack if successful, for an AC of 23. Nope!

5ft-step: Away from Antonius
    Standard action: Cast True Strike. (Oh, and Toby gets +20 to hit on his next attack, too.)

If Antonius closes in with a 5ft step, he won't trigger an AoO. However, he may still want to cast something. If he triggers an AoO, True Strike will apply and be expended.
    AoO1
    • (1d20+7)[27], crit on 26+.
    • (1d8+4)[12], (2d8+8)[23].

AoO2
    • (1d20+7)[12], crit on 26+.
    • (1d8+4)[11], (2d8+8)[17].

Toby's rolls are here. He successfully aided Jon, giving him +2 AC against Antonius' next attack (bringing Jon's AC up to 23 vs. that one attack).

Spoiler: Status, Round 6
    Show
    Jon Turnip
    Male LG Human Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 1, Level 3, Init 1, HP 12/30, Speed 30 ft
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort 11, Ref 6, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    +1 crit confirming Orduar +7 (D8+4, ×3)
    Da's long sword +6 (D8+2, 19-20)
    MW Chain shirt (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Aid, Heroism, Shield of Faith
    Level 0 spells 4/5
    Level 1 spells 1/4
    Lay on Hands 3/6
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2017-06-12 at 06:17 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #1745
    Ogre in the Playground

Having been ineffective once more, Jack reverts back to using raw psychic energy, though his reserves are rapidly depleting. After refocusing and shooting him (in the back no less, because he's never above that), he says to Antonius: "You madman! Stop dragging this useless fight more than it already has."
    He continues, more to himself than anyone in particular: We could have worked things out, talked things through, but no: you thought that you had all the answers, and that you could force them onto others. Well, we are about to show you how wrong you are."
    Show
    Touch - (1d20+7)[22], Crit - (1d20+7)[21], Dmg - (4d6+1)[13]

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Jack 'Hardball' Swindle
    Male CN Air Goblin Psychic Rogue 1/Telepath 2, Level 3, Init 4, HP 14+8/14, Speed 30 ft
    AC 20, Touch 15, Flat-footed 16, Fort 3, Ref 6, Will 4, Base Attack Bonus 1, Power Points 2/14
    Crossbow ? ( , )
    Rapier ? ( , )
    Mithral Chain Shirt, Darkwood Buckler (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +4 Dex, +2 Size, -1 Misc)
    Abilities Str 4, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 19, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Condition Compression
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-06-14 at 12:41 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #1746

Bobbin takes another step (almost, but not quite flanking Antonius) and infuses his blade with all the energy he can muster. He strikes, again trying to find some gap in the priest's armour for his blade to slip through. Bobin remains silent, staring angrily at Antonius.

Spoiler: Actions, Round 6
    Show

Bobin will take another 5-foot step, working his way to the opposite side of Antonius from Jon (he won't quite be in position to flank this turn, however). Move action to charge Psychic Strike, then an attack.

Attack - (1d20+7)[16] Threat on 26+ CritConfirm - (1d20+7)[25]
    Damage - (1d4+2)[6] CritBonus - (1d4+2)[3]
    Cold - (1d6)[4]
    PsychicStrike - (1d8)[5]

Spoiler: Status, Round 6
    Show

Bobin
    Condition None
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1747
    Banned

Having thus far had limited success trying to land a blow on Jon, Antonius dig into his vast knowledge of divine blessings to find aid. Trusting his ability to keep concentration during combat, he holds aloft his holy symbol, and once again targets Jon - his wayward apprentice, as he sees it.

Show

Concentration: (1d20+6)[12] vs dc 17

If succesful, he will cast Heat Metal on Jon. If not, he will take a crit to the face. It's not enough to kill him, btw - he's low, but alive.

Jon, who had been waiting for this specifically, lunges forward - impaling his former master on his spear. Antonius, shock etched in every feature, looks down on blade imbedded in his chest, at the blood flowing.

How ... can this be?

His mace slips from his hand. His eyes seek Jon's, questioning.

Could I be wrong? How can I be wrong? I have only the best interests of our town and our people at heart?

He sinks slowly to his knees.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-06-16 at 01:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1748
    Ogre in the Playground

Toby lunges in and finally grabs Antonius' mace. THE STICK IS MINE! THE STICK IS MINE! MY STICK! MY STICK! MY STICK! Toby tries to run away from Antonius.

Jon gives a look towards the mayor, and slowly walks up to him, keeping his weapon towards Antonius. He puts one knee to the ground, and touches the mayor's shoulder. "You a'ight?" Jon winces as he sees Fahrad's blood pooling on consecrated land, grim remembrance of what could come.

He then turns to Antonius. "Father, I think th'mayor's a'ight. It's all gonna be a'ight. You just stand down, an' tell th'others t'stand down from them forts, an' it's gonna be a'ight. It's all gonna be a'ight. The Good Gods, they forgive, right?"

Spoiler: Actions, Round 7
    Show
    Toby
    Move action: grab Antonius' stick mace.
    Move action: run away and hide below or behind whatever furniture is left in the nave. (That could trigger an AoO from Antonius, using his shield, for example. Toby's AC at that point is 19 thanks to Jon's shield spell.)
    Swift action: chew on the stick, put lots of spit on it, while snorting with great self-satisfaction.

Jon
    Move action: Towards the mayor.
    Standard action: If the mayor's still alive, give him 2HP with Lay on Hands.
    Also, try to Bluff Antonius' into believing it's all going to be fine now: (1d20+6)[19]. At this point, Jon's trying to delude himself as much as Antonius into believing this. Jon's still in shock of having killed a human.

Spoiler: Status, Round 7
    Show
    Jon Turnip
    Male LG Human Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 1, Level 3, Init 1, HP 12/30, Speed 30 ft
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort 11, Ref 6, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    +1 crit confirming Orduar +7 (D8+4, ×3)
    Da's long sword +6 (D8+2, 19-20)
    MW Chain shirt (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Aid, Heroism, Shield of Faith
    Level 0 spells 4/5
    Level 1 spells 1/4
    Lay on Hands 2/6
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #1749

Bobin stands where he is, alternating his attention between Antonius as he falls to his knees, and Jon as he checks on the mayor. Bobin breaths deeply, letting go of some of his anger, but maintains a wary eye on the priest.

Bobin nods emphatically to Jon's declaration. "Jon is quite right; now that this foolishness is over, we can all get things back to normal soon enough, I'd say. The time for violence has past, now we have to go about mending things." Bobin does his best to hide any uncertainty he may feel from entering his voice as he speaks.

Spoiler: Actions, Round 7
    Show

Bobin will stay where he is at Antonius' side, and use an aid another action to attempt to help Jon.

Bluff - (1d20-1)[6] (vs DC 10)
    EDIT: no luck here, I'm afraid

Spoiler: Status, Round 7
    Show

Bobin
    Condition None
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-06-16 at 11:03 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1750
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack takes the time to reload his crossbow and keep it casually at the ready while supporting the overall delusion that is taking shape around him. Not being from around here, he has less of a stake in the current events and this leads to a marginally better performance.
    "Indeed, let's stop the violence. This is a community, and things will be decided by consensus with everyone's input. I am sure that the bad of a moment will not cancel the good of a lifetime of dedication to the town and it's inhabitants."

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    bliffAid - (1d20+3)[16]

Also: Yes! This level up is sorely needed. My precious PPs...

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #1751
    Banned

Finnegal blinks, grits his teeth at the pain as he absently wipes drying blood off his brow. He sits up, fighting off dizziness until he can focus an iron stare at Antonius.

You fool! He growls, seething with anger. You gods damned fool! Did you really for a moment imagine to serve the will of the good gods, or the community, or anyone except your own vanity - when you took up arms against your friends, your neighbors, your family? Do you truly think striking down unarmed, peaceful civilians would lead to something good?

You very nearly brought war to my town, Antonius. Now, you will bring peace. You will do as Jon says, and go to your little forts and send everyone home - and then you will submit and be put in chains and brought before a judge!

Antonius for his part wrenches the spear from his chest, agony marking his face. He places one hand on the wound, holds up his holy symbol, and chants ... nothing happens. His face falls, and when Finnegal informs him how it will be, he simply nods, without comment - and without meeting his eyes.

12. - Top - End - #1752
    Ogre in the Playground

As Finnegal makes his speech, Jon gets away from the mayor, irationnaly afraid of drawing the mayor's ire. He walks to Gromul. "Hey buddy, you a'ight too?" He shakes the wounded orcs shoulder.

At last, Jon walks to Antonius, and extends his hand to help the armored priest up. "I tell them judgers what Fahrad tol' me. He's the one sent people to th'market t'make trouble, it ain't you. I tell 'em y'made a mistake, that's all. I tell 'em he lied t'you 'bout th'demon army."

Show
    Operation: Blame the dead @sshole guy.

Also, Lay on Hands on Gromul, giving him 2 hp.

Finally, Lay on Hands on Antonius, giving him 2 hp.

13. - Top - End - #1753
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite his deep-rooted self interest, Jack is moved by the ending of the drama that has been unfolding around him. He stands quietly away from the centre of the stage church, offering a few pats of encouragement to Jon as the big man comes round.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #1754

Bobin lets his blade dissipate back into non-materiality, and with it, his anger. A little tension seems to lift from his shoulders, and he stands at ease. He lets out a small snort of amusement when Antonius' spell fails. "The gods aren't listening to you anymore, looks like. Time to give it a rest."

Bobin raises a questioning eyebrow when Jon offers to shift the blame entirely on Fahrad, but the wisdom of such an action quickly becomes clear to the halfling. It would be easier for the town to move forward if the main villain of this sorry mess was already dead. "That's quite right," Bobin says, nodding emphatically. "Leave it to city-folk and hoity-toity church officials to stick their noses where they don't belong."
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-06-19 at 10:28 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1755
    Banned

The bit of healing Jon has left in him isn't enough to wake Gromul. He's alive, but still down.

Antonius looks at Bobin, the despair in his eyes confirming what Bobin already knows: Antonius has no magic. No faith. He fetches a knife from his belt, and starts cutting the straps of his plate armor. The heavy pieces clang to the ground, unheeded by the elderly priest.

The church empties, everyone shuffling off, going home. It doesn't really feel like a victory to anyone - this was a war among neighbors and friends, and now that it's over, it just seems everyone is ashamed at how it came to that.

Over the next few days, Antonis throws off the severe robes he always favored, dressing himself instead in simple clothes - pants, tunic, even wooden clogs. He goes around to the little compounds he's constructed, and makes sure they are unmanned, and dismantled. Every night, he goes home to his church, and spends his evenings in meditation and prayer for atonement.

The town returns to normal. The Bazaar returns to business.

It's a whole week before you are all - once again - summoned to the mayors house.

16. - Top - End - #1756
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the dust settles, Jon seems only half there. "Hey, Bobin, y'take care of Gromul? Please? Come Toby." Then Jon leaves without saying farewell.

Jon walks back to his mother's farm. She scolds him for running away once more. After all, "crops won't plant or harvest themselves, and there's much demand because of those Giffs or whatnot," she says. Yet, for once, Jon doesn't try to lie or prevaricate. He silently gets scolded, as if there's something far worse gnawing at him. He spends the next days on his mattress, looking at the ceiling, hugging Toby, and intermittently sobbing. His mother's anger soon changes into concern.

After a couple days, she comes to him. A trader from Silverbrook has just given her news of all that happened in town. "Alright," she says, "you want to go adventure, you go. That's not what your dad or me wanted for you, but I guess you did far better helping people in town than you'd do in here. Your dad would be proud of you." She tussles his hair.

Jon comes out of his melancholy. He spends another day fooling around with his brothers and sisters. He has a last moment of hesitation before taking back his gear, but his mother's hand on his shoulder urges him on.

Back in Silverbrook, he sees Antonius walking to his church. He starts to run to catch up with the priest, but stops mid-way, ashamed for some reason. He turns back towards the market before the priest can notice him.

He goes around the market, keeping an eye out for better gear. He looks for Arngren's old stall, wondering what happened to it, and if somebody claimed his wares.

Show
    Jon has a masterwork chainmail, an adamantine banded mail (from Kelsen's Fist) and Antonius' full-plate (since I assume no other PC needs it).

We don't yet know if Antonius' full-plate was masterwork, magical, or anything else.

It was stated the adamantine banded mail can be retro-fitted into a full-plate suit.

Ideally, I'd want to end up with an enchanted adamantine full-plate. I'd like to find some enchantment that can reduce Arcane Check Failure on a full-plate.

Also, I'd like the masterwork chainmail to be part of that armor, so that I can more easily remove or refit the plates to switch between light and heavy armor. This is more for fluff than anything else, but it came up in game, since after changing into chainmail to go down the chasm, I never took time to gear up Jon in heavy armor before the final fight.

So, I'm asking the DM what's possible or not.

What Jon can trade in is Antonius' full-plate, eventually Antonius' mace if no other player else wants it, some information (Faelathaniel's presence underground, Fahrad's plot and his obsession about a demon army, the wyvern's existence, and in case the deal's done after he meets Finnegal and Gromul, that the latter's becoming chief).

However, I'd like to know about Antonius' gear capabilities before deciding anything.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2017-06-27 at 04:49 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1757
    Banned

Antonius has much changed his practice - from brooding in his church, memorizing the words of the holy book, he now daily tours the parish, granting blessings and sharing good wishes. He seems a man transformed, and his magic is coming back to him. He also seems much happier.

The bazaar is busier than ever. Among the new things that have opened, Jon spots some scaly, winged and - to be honest - not entirely friendly looking creatures at a stall that sells 'Fortune, Riches, Your Heats Desire!' There is also a tiny booth simply titled 'Disposal' where what looks like a red skinned goblin-ish creature gets rid of all sorts of refuse and garbage at a small price - by tossing it into the elemental plane of fire. A blue skinned with a strangely vacant-yet-blissful look on his face sells potions, but of particular interest is the sign saying 'Bespoke Potions, Philters, Elixirs and Destillations - enquire here.'

Arngrens stall is still there, now manned by a burly middle aged woman who introduces herself as Yulda.

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

Getting a ... let's say a custom suit of Field Plate, where the inner chain mail work independently of the outer plates is definitely doable. It's skilled work, obviously, so it's gonna cost you - but there are smiths around. Yulda is one, Gnarl is another (the ork smith in the village).

Antonius' armor is +1. His mace is ... rather strong. It's just a +1 mace, but for each hit on an enemy, it decreases the targets AC by 1, and increases the wielders damage by 1. Both up to a max of 5.

Honestly, I think that's a little rediculous, so melting it down is propably best. As you may be able to discern from it's enchantment, the encounter in the church didn't pan out as planned =D

I feel you might want to keep various stories for specific hagglings, but if you'd like to try to simply sell of the information, a Gather Information check would reveal who might be interested in such things. Mind, it might yield only boring gold to sell it in this way.

Oh and ... yes, we need to get rid of that arcane spell failure thing. That's already in the works.

18. - Top - End - #1758

Bobin watches as Antonius strips off his armour. Something about the sight of the now broken priest tugs at Bobin's empathy, despite what has just transpired. He begins to reach out a hand toward the priest, but thinks better of it, instead turning to check through Fahrad's effects for the any of the stolen relics. (Anything else of interest he'll keep to hand off to Jack). He glances up from this work at Jon, nodding to the lads request. Bobin looks after Jon as he hurries off, a small frown on his face. I hope he'll be alright. It's a hard thing to go against someone you respected.

With the relics secured, Bobin checks on Gromul. He administers a potion (or helps the orc to a place where he can recuperate) and thanks the orc warrior for all his help... though Bobin is uncertain if Gromul fully understands him. With the relics in hand, Bobin heads off to find Capt'n Jack. "Now that all this nasty business is more or less dealt with, I'll head down to the catacombs to replace these," Bobin says, indicating the relics. "If you'd like to tag along, you're more than welcome. We could probably fill in the Sapient of what has happened above while were at it. After that I could give you a proper tour of the Silverbrook, if you like. Not that there's a whole lot, but we could visit Ma' Gertrude if you've any alchemical needs, or the smith, and see what's going on in the Bazaar. There's a few things I'd like try to find, anyhow. Oh, and I definitely need a drink or three."

Bobin heads down into the catacombs, now in a contemplative mood, taking in the architecture of the lower church and occasionally examining a bit of stonework. He approaches the reliquary with some trepidation and carefully places the relics back into their spots. He also returns the ankh given to him by the angel. He kneels in silence for a moment, then, feeling a little silly, says "Thanks," and tips his hat before turning to leave.

Next, He makes his way down to the entrance to the caves, and if one of the Sapient is about, he fills them in briefly on what has transpired above, and expresses some interest on the continuation of a partnership between Silverbrook and the Sapient.

Returing to the surface, Bobin decides that what he needs at this very moment is a drink (Jack is, of course, welcome to join him). On the way to the tavern, he runs into a couple of acquaintances from the town guard, and one drink quickly turns into three, and then five, and so on. The next day he spends recuperating, eating a massive breakfast. Later in the day he checks in on Gromul to make sure the ork is still alright. The day after that he makes a tour of the Bazaar and checks in with Ma' Gertrude. Since run-ins with ghosts and spirits seems to have become a common occurrence for Bobin, he looks for some philtre or elixir which would allow him to better combat such creatures. The rest of the day he peruses the Bazaar for oddities, looking for somewhere to trade in his darkwood shield and the evil-looking holy symbol.

Show

Bobin will look for someone to trade (for gold that is forthcoming or something else) a feat-giving elixir: specifically the Ghost Attack {Psionic} feat from the SRD. If there is anyone who sells them at the Bazaar, Bobin would also be interested in trading for some enhanced (magical, or similar) sling bullets. Otherwise he might just look for a new hat and cloak.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-06-26 at 10:49 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1759
    Banned

Gromul requires a potion to regain consciousness. When he does open his eyes - taking a moment to zoom in on Bobin - his first words are: Was it glorious battle? Dids't we win? You get Gromul a room at the local inn, which by the way is called The Loom, where he orders food and drink enough to feed an extended family. He'll propably be just fine.

St. Anton's holy symbol, plus the ankh Hepsibah gave you, are easily found. You don't find Anton's weapon, but you've seen him depicted often enough to suspect he wielded a mace. On top of that, Farhad had several magical items: A ring, an amulet, a cloak, and surprisingly, a silver coin.

The stonework is actually rather interesting. The oldest part of the crypt is old. Older than the church and the village, dating back to some even earlier settlement - that you know nothing of. Antons final resting place is quiet, and feels somehow peaceful, when you return his items to their place. There is no sense of presence, but Bobin still feels good about having given thanks.

The zurl-gech sapient thanks Bobin for the information, and seems glad that you won. You get to talking about alchemy and potions - the sapient being one of two possible sources for unusually potent elixirs - and it informs you that to create a distillation of the type you need, it will require the pineal gland of a psionic creature.

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

The new einherjar tradeswoman, Yulda, will gladly swap the shield for a bunch of magical slingstones. Um, say 20 +1 bullets? MW ones would also be an option, maybe like 50?

Hats and cloaks are available aplenty.

20. - Top - End - #1760
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack can't wait to be out of this church and this mess, but knows there are a couple things that still need to happen. He sees Jon as he leaves and looks at Bobin, who does not move to follow, so he assumes the big man will just need some space.

He accepts Bobin's offer for a tour. "Sure, I'll come with" he says. He follows the halfling into the catacombs and and parrots the motions, the hat tipping and everything, though he remains wary of all things spiritual. The Sapient grows less creepy by the second, once you get to know it a little, and Jack is quick to enquire about what services it might offer; after all, it's the strangest things that offer the highest rewards (and dangers, it goes without saying). When he learns of the chance of getting custom elixirs, he is thrilled: he's yet to land a single blow with his new rapier, and he really needs something to enhance his swordsmanship.

Then the diminutive duo is finally off to Silverbrook proper. Jack can get behind the drinking, matching his companion pint for pint. He makes it a point to fit in, greeting new acquaintance, slinging charming comments to serving girls of all shapes and sizes and being generally agreeable. Taverns are basically his second home, after all.

The tour of the bazaar is the most anticipated segment of the trip. There's always something to be gained in places like this, be it stuff or information or hard lessons. As he browses, he notices there seems to be an abundance of hats and cloaks. Jack could never get rid of his hat (well, not unless there was one just as outrageous) but he could probably use a fancy new cloak.
    Even so, he makes it a point to get all the stuff they got and have it examined before considering any trade in. He also makes a stop at Ma Gertrude's place, at Bobin's suggestion. He's just an amateur when it comes to alchemy, but he likes the stuff and he knows it has potential. He'll see if she can provide him with a few raw materials for some of the shadier compounds. And of course there's that strange rock he's been carrying around that he'd like an opinion on.

Show
    I'm not sure what I'm looking for, except for an elixir of Weapon Finesse. Perhaps some damage, or maybe some INT, if one wants something dependable. I do like quirky things, though unlikely to be found in bazaars.

About the stone... what could come out of it, I wonder?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #1761
    Banned

The sapient ponders an elixir of the type Jack requires: It would depend on the sinews of a dextrous creature, an elf maybe?
    It's a shame you have no needs that might be filled by the remains of an ork.

The bazaar offers a profusion of fashionable items of clothing for the discerning gentleman or lady, off the shelf or tailor made.

Spoiler: Ma Gertrude's
    Show

I'm feeling ... everyone is going to Ma Gertrude's eventually, right? Then I suggested we do that grouped.

22. - Top - End - #1762
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon smiles wanly at Yulda. "Hi, I'm Jon Turnip, 'xcept Turnip, it ain't really my name 'cause—" Jon interrupts himself and sighs with a light sadness. "Never mind. Say, y'know th'man was 'ere before? Name's Arngren. I mean, was Arngren. Now he's gone. You a friend o' him?"

"'nyways, see, I've this mail," Jon slap his chest, "that big heavy stuff," Jon produces the adamantine banded-mail he's been dragging with one hand, "an' a magic one too," Jon produces a vambrace from Antonius' suite of plate out of his pack. "I know it's magic, 'cause, huh, I can see 'em auras."

"So huh, the mail is light, but it ain't protectin' much. The big stuff's good, but it's too heavy. An' the magic one, I guess it's a bit in between 'em or somethin'. Say, can you fix me up somethin' outta 'em?"

Show
    Depending if she cares about Arngren and his fate, Jon might have tales to trade in.

OK, I get it, Antonius' mace is indeed Anton's. Someone stop Jon before he trades it in.

Finally, Jon wasn't planning to go to Ma Gertrude's, but he could notice Bobin and Jack going there and catch up with them if it's more convenient.

23. - Top - End - #1763
    Banned

Yulda sizes Jon up - Jon getting the distinct feeling that there is some sort of adult component of the sizing up - before responding with a crooked smile:

Honey, Ysgard has warriors beyond counting. I don't know your Arngren from Ulfring, but I'm sure he had some hard luck story for winding up here peddling metal. Unlike myself, I'm here by choice.

Now, lemme have a look at that gear of yours.

She does various things to the metal - licks her finger and tastes it, draws a few runes on it, scrapes at it with tools, peers at it askance, mumbles under her breath - before returning her attention to Jon.

Arrite, I can work with this. So what you're looking for is something like ... a two-piece suit, right? Light mail that'd work for climbing or maybe at sea - heavy plate for fighting. And ... what, you'd like to be able to work magic in it too?

She peers curiously at Jon, her piercing gaze lingering - Jon feels - on his soul, weighing it.

Hmm, she mumbles, maybe you could, at that. Go figure.

I can fix ya something, but I'd need to bring it to Ysgard. No proper forges around here. And it'd take some time.

And it would cost ya. Though I might extend a bit of a discount for a hero. Tales to swap over ale makes most things easier, right?

24. - Top - End - #1764
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Arrite, I can work with this. So what you're looking for is something like ... a two-piece suit, right? Light mail that'd work for climbing or maybe at sea - heavy plate for fighting. And ... what, you'd like to be able to work magic in it too?
    "No I don't do mag—" Jon eyes open wide. "OOOooooh... that's what's been hapenin'. Them Good Gods, they gave me magic an' stuff, thanks Yulda, you're, huh, so smart!"

And it would cost ya. Though I might extend a bit of a discount for a hero. Tales to swap over ale makes most things easier, right?
    Jon seems confused at first. "I ain't no hero an'... wait, y'sayin' y'can do it?" Jon smiles earnestly. "That's great! I tell you th'story of Anrgren an' also how we save th'market with th'Sky Captain an' Bobin an' me an' also Toby! You can take th'stuff with you if y'need it an' then we go to the tavern when you're back!"

25. - Top - End - #1765
    Banned

Yulda smiles at this, noting specifically ... oh, Toby too, huh? Well, I guess we know who the real hero is then. And she digs out a bit of dried meat and tosses it to Toby.

Making a round trip to the forges of Ysgard is going to take ... a bit of a while, you know? I'm sure you could camp here until I got back, but you don't need to. Give it a tenday, then come back here. Then we can barter over the price.

It seems Yulda is convinced Jon will be able to make up the gold component of the payment - or maybe she just trusts his stories to be that good.

26. - Top - End - #1766
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aww, that might be tricky to procure. I will assume, though, that the 'freshness' of the materials is not going to be an issue, right?" asks Jack to the sapient. "Just out of curiosity, what can you make out of ork remains?"

Show
    Did Bobin realise the truth about the mace when he 'collected all relics and returned them'? If so, Jon does not have the mace. If not, we will need to intercept him. If the latter case is correct, Anton and the angel might say so when it is not returned.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #1767
    Banned

The essense we can extract from the orks have to do with strength, anger, the use of certain weapons, and the ability to see in the dark. Mostly, we can use these to create elixirs that would benefit a warrior.

Spoiler: In other words
    Show

Stuff like Power Attack, Weapon Focus (specifically for axes and the like), Blind Fight - and whetever else one might imagine.

Also, who has which items and knows which details is something I'd rather leave up to you. I'm as ok with trading the mace as I am with returning it. And much fun may be had with misunderstandings =)

28. - Top - End - #1768

Bobin thanks the zurl-gech sapient, then ponders a little over where he might find such a creature, and obtain its gland. Ah, well, I'll make note of it and see if it comes up.

Bobin spends a little time perusing the bazaar for anyone peddling bits of... anatomy, just in case they have what he's looking for.

Later, Bobin happily trades his darkwood shield for a small number of magic sling bullets from Yulda. He examines one in his hand, noting and admiring the well-formed biconical shape and small runes inscribed on its leaden surface. He thanks Yulda, and after a little cloak and hat shopping (he settles on a brown, wide-brimmed hat and a reddish-earth coloured cloak, both finely and robustly made, he makes his way with Jack to Ma' Gertrude's home. There he enjoys some of Ma' Gertrude's renowned tea, and relaxes for a time.

Show

I hadn't thought of Bobin taking the mace, so it's safe to assume that Jon took it. Bobin will settle for the twenty (20) +1 sling bullets from Yulda.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1769
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Making a round trip to the forges of Ysgard is going to take ... a bit of a while, you know? I'm sure you could camp here until I got back, but you don't need to. Give it a tenday, then come back here. Then we can barter over the price.
    "A'ight Mrs Yulda!"

Jon was just about to leave the stall when he sees Bobin joining him. "Hey Bobin, how you doin'? Oh, and how's Gromul, is he better?"

After Bobin's business is over, Jon accompanies his friend to Ma Gertrude's.

30. - Top - End - #1770
    Banned

Ma Gertrude's cottage is in an almost magical location - it seems to be close(-ish) to town, close to the forest, close to the farms, and close to the bazaar and the portal. Which is puzzling, since those four things are to different compass directions of each other. Oh well.

The cottage is thatched and timbered, charmingly crooked but otherwise meticulously kept and maintained. Extensive herbal gardens surround it, and it has it's own little army of outbuildings - a pigsty, a little barn, an enclosure with a few sheep and goats, a toolshed. It has it's own little well, and a small pond with quacking ducks.

As you approach, Ma Gertrude is in her rocking chair, knitting something small - not unlikely to be woolen socks for a newborn. She is, after all, primarily the town midwife.

Ahh - visitors, she calls, happily, and just in time for tea too.

She produces tea and cups and cookies and cream, a bit of fresh fruit, bread and honey - all with a speed indicating either that she always has these things handy, or she was expecting you.

So ... you've made names for yourselves. Travelled to distant places. Fought fierce beasts. What might an old woman do to assist such young heroes as yourselves?