Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1456
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold OOC (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

I'll throw in my second on Jack Vance's Lyonesse (and Vance in general, once you get used to him) and the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories. The Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories are a little more in the vein of old adventure stories as opposed to modern fantasy, but if that's what you're looking for you'll enjoy them. That and a majority of them are short stories so they're easy to consume a little at a time.

On the subject of Moorcock, I'd say that some of his non-traditional fantasy is his better stuff (I still like Elric and the Chronicles of Corum). His Dancers at the End of Time series in particular is quite good, but also pretty weird. And I also really enjoyed Blood: A Southern Fantasy.

And if you haven't read any, I'll always give my recommendation for Roger Zelazny. The Chronicles of Amber (particularly the Corwin cycle) are great, and if you're looking for something a little different (and maybe a little more difficult to get into), Lord of Light is fantastic. All of this is my opinion, of course . If you're looking for something lighter just for a change of pace, then I'd recommend The Princess and the Goblin (and its sequel) for some more fairy-tale-like stuff.

I haven't read a whole lot of recent fantasy apart from Stephen Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen, which I'm not sure I'd be able to recommend unless you want to read A LOT. It's decent enough though.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2017-12-22 at 02:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=WalkingTheShade;22688797]
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Neal Stephenson
    I avoid the obligatory Big Names like the plague. I've managed to convince myself that the ability to produce huge libraries of books is also sure to indicate that the writing is by rote and numbers. All the writers Amazon recommeneds me are defaulted. So I spent my time looking for greatness yet undiscovered.

Yeah, not that Jon would notice anything like that happening...
    Oh, it might be like a squal of surprise that Jon interpreted as a scream of terror - and never realised he was wrong because the young goddess found his innocense endearing =)

Also, if anyone's interested, I might have just convinced myself to run an E6 game with Pathfinder crunch.
    I might join (or apply, let's be fair) if I could play a goblin.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

My rules of thumb for avoiding pulp fantasy include (but is in no way limited to) the following:

If the title contains:
    - Sword
    - Any bird
    - Dragons, were wolves, vampires, ghosts, or any other abused type of being
    - Kings, queens or noble titles in general
    - 'Dark' or 'Darkness'
    - 'Shadow'
    - Any weapon
    - Any phenomenon of weather
    - War
    - Mages
    - Any celestial body

And/or the writer:
    - Has written more than one trilogy
    - Or has written more than five books
    - Or is called Sanderson, Martin, *McCaffrey*, Eddings, Jordan, or any other Big Brand name

Then it's an immediate write-off.

Stuff that is legimitaly great that you might not have heard of:
    - Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
    - The Portrait of Mrs. Dubuque (not really fantasy - but still)
    - The Etched City (ditto)
    - China Mieville (I dunno, no one ever mentions him, and he's pretty damn good)
    - Robert Jackson Bennett

Slightly less good, but still:
    - Richard Morgan (good at first books in trilogies - his fantasy is propably more consistent than his sci-fi)
    - Max Gladstone
    - Daniel Polansky

Also:
    - Paolo Bacigalupi (not fantasy at all - also slightly YA sometimes)

I feel my rules of thumb keep me from reading the occasional great title - but on the other hand, my stubborn exploration of the roads less travelled reveals some true gems, from time to time.

4. - Top - End - #1414

I read maybe half of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and enjoyed it, but was never able to finish it. Just to add two more recommendations that just came to mind: The Ghormenghast books by Mervin Peake, which aren't at all typical fantasy but have fantastical elements (a little like if Dickens wrote fantasy, but not so verbose), and The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (beginning with Bridge of Birds) by Barry Hughart. The latter are "novels of ancient China that never were" and are quite good fun. I realize the title contains 'Birds' but it's not any type of bird, so maybe that can make it's way past your filter.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Troll in the Playground

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell does require some patience. But it's very much worth finishing.

I forgot about Richardo Pinto. Quite the cruellest bit of fantasy I ever read. It will require you to get through - or, one might imagine, enjoy - that the main plot driver is a homo erotic romantic drama. Since I very much identify with the 'hero' of any book I'm reading, that bit doesn't really work for me.

Edit: Oh and I meant to add - I tried to order the Ghormengast omnibus for my kindle, but amazon is unwilling to sell it to me.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-12-22 at 05:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I avoid the obligatory Big Names like the plague. I've managed to convince myself that the ability to produce huge libraries of books is also sure to indicate that the writing is by rote and numbers. All the writers Amazon recommeneds me are defaulted. So I spent my time looking for greatness yet undiscovered.
    Well, I've only read Snow Crash from him, and I thought it had nice ideas, was deliciously over the top and I simpathized with the protagonist. (Are you certain you're not confusing Stephenson with the other much more famous Neil.)

But Snow is some kind of weather phenomenon, right?

I might join (or apply, let's be fair) if I could play a goblin.
    I'll PM you about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    I read maybe half of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and enjoyed it, but was never able to finish it. Just to add two more recommendations that just came to mind: The Ghormenghast books by Mervin Peake, which aren't at all typical fantasy but have fantastical elements (a little like if Dickens wrote fantasy, but not so verbose), and The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (beginning with Bridge of Birds) by Barry Hughart. The latter are "novels of ancient China that never were" and are quite good fun. I realize the title contains 'Birds' but it's not any type of bird, so maybe that can make it's way past your filter.
    Ghormenghast has been up in my reading list forever. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Edit: Oh and I meant to add - I tried to order the Ghormengast omnibus for my kindle, but amazon is unwilling to sell it to me.
    Amazon has eyes everywhere. They saw what you said about the big names. They won't let you off the hook until you order the whole Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire, twice each.

You're such a snob
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Troll in the Playground

You're such a snob
    I'm much worse with food than with books. My GF tells me so frequently, bordering on constantly.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a high quality key, for a similarly high quality lock. Knowledge: Nobility might be an option, or Appraise. Failing those, and int check might do.
    TWIST: It's actually the key to Jack's heart! (What it does actually do when properly employed is another discussion.)
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Troll in the Playground

Meta-twist: It's the key to Bobin's heart.

*scratch head*

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

No, it's jack's. Trust me.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - War Weaver (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    No, it's jack's. Trust me.
    Turns out I was right in the end. It was true, from a certain point of view!

Spoiler: From a certain point of view
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1422

I'm back on the web, and I hope everyone had a good time with their respective holidays (if any were celebrated). Mine were nice, but rather too cold. I didn't get nearly as much cross-country skiing done as I had hoped, as we had several days below -30 degrees Celsius . I did, however, re-start Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and I think this time I'll finish it.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

Creigh will insist you go straight to the Marshall - but you can, obviously, go where you like.

-30 is cold. It was -30 here when I was a kid, just once. I remember. It's really a lot colder than you can easily enjoy. Good job on Norrell & Strange, though.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Creigh will insist you go straight to the Marshall - but you can, obviously, go where you like.
    Yeah, I think Jon is somewhat fed-up with people telling him what to do for reasons he doesn't much understand. I'm waiting for iTookUrNick to give a lifesign before going on with posting, lest we end up with much time dilatation between both threads.

On the other front, I've started Name of the Wind. I feel I've just finished the introductory part, with the narrative frame being setup and the story just beginning. It's good until now.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Troll in the Playground

Ahh - The Name of the Wind. Sympatic magic isn't Rothfuss' invention, but what he does with it is amazing. And there's the whole thing with the history of the world. And then there's Quothe. In my opinion, it's honestly the finest work of fantasy fiction since Lord of the Rings.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Troll in the Playground

You know .... having to make a Thread II means this is the longest running game I ever ran. Even longer than the only game that ever actually reached the finish line, Beyond the Grace of the Emperor.

Whaddaya know?

Also, I should propably close this thread too, because by the time if too goes over 50 pages, I'll have forgotten.

I'll do that. Soon. Right now I'm just back from the gym, and it seems like an unimaginably huge task to be undertaking.

17. - Top - End - #1427

Well, congratulations on running (and continuing to run) a great game!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I think Jon is somewhat fed-up with people telling him what to do for reasons he doesn't much understand. I'm waiting for iTookUrNick to give a lifesign before going on with posting, lest we end up with much time dilatation between both threads.

On the other front, I've started Name of the Wind. I feel I've just finished the introductory part, with the narrative frame being setup and the story just beginning. It's good until now.
    I'm here. NotW is a strange experience. It feels like it's exceptionally well written, and certainly engaging, but at the same time not much is going on that might answer your most pressing questions about the whole affair. That's my opinion, and if you find it a bit confusing... well, I am not considering a career as a literary critic.

Cheers!
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - War Weaver (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

At the risk of repeating already oft-repeated praise, this here is also my sincerest sentiment!

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Troll in the Playground

.. thanks, guys! =)

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

The crowd - 5 or 6 men and women in various stages of poverty or destitution - see the change, and their smiles fade. One mutters, saddend:

But ... what about food for the needy?

But it was all just a dream. They clutch what meals they got hold of tightly, and turn to leave.
    Way to go... I feel like a horrible person now :'(

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Troll in the Playground

Way to go... I feel like a horrible person now :'(
    My work here is done =)

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

My work here is done =)
    That's lawful good for you: feel bad about people's suffering, give them charity, but you know, things are as they are for a good reason, right? not much sense in trying to rebel.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Troll in the Playground

That's lawful good for you: feel bad about people's suffering, give them charity, but you know, things are as they are for a good reason, right? not much sense in trying to rebel.
    That's precisely it. 'Yes, I could provide you with everything you need - but it's actually better for you, if you learn to provide for yourself!' I even believe that =D

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not really expecting anyone to seriously disagree with the decision to leg it to the Marshall - but I'll leave the potential open for a slight bit longer.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah, I have nothing to add there. I was going to post stating "Jon has no personality and follows the others" but I thought it would be supperfluous.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

Just remember that ogres aren't persons, so it costs more to cham them.
    For now maybe, but I'm sure the new King will make a law for equal rights for ogres!

By the way, do we have any food left? Or did we finish it before running to the Marshal?

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Troll in the Playground

Laws of men (and ogres) lose any time they are in conflict with the laws of magic.

You still have some food, but the plaza around the fortress doesn't feature anyone to share it with, sadly.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

Seriously though .... fake the permit with the seal. Also, option to find out precisely how Ogg got to be a haunted ogre. For um, bonus xp!

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

For um, bonus xp!
    -_- but we never get XP. We just level up!