New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GURPS Planescape: Unknown Steps - IC

Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    I think you said I'd gotten the ones I'd previously lost back by now? So I'm now at nine?

Anyway, the path leads towards the spire, so if I walk towards the spire I'll likely cross the path. Then I know where the camp is, since it's off the path away from the spire. I'll probably pass the camp, but I'll be able to double back and find it. In fact it's actually a good thing if I pass the camp, since using the path as a waypoint requires me to be on the other side of the camp. And of course there's always a chance that this will lead me back there by coincidence.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Suzume regained her FP as she made that breath control thing. For you to regain FP you would need to rest a little. I guess you rested a couple of minutes while eating, that would give you a 2 FP regen. So you are at eight right now. But be prepared to tire as you carry that weight by the forest.

Anyway, another Survival check at -2 (the general weirdness of the place don't influence so much in that) to mantain a stable direction spireward, without diverting from your intended path.
    Is parsley scarier than nutmeg?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lenon3579 View Post
    Show
    Suzume regained her FP as she made that breath control thing. For you to regain FP you would need to rest a little. I guess you rested a couple of minutes while eating, that would give you a 2 FP regen. So you are at eight right now. But be prepared to tire as you carry that weight by the forest.

Anyway, another Survival check at -2 (the general weirdness of the place don't influence so much in that) to mantain a stable direction spireward, without diverting from your intended path.
    At -2 I need to meet or beat 13.

(3d6)[9]

3. - Top - End - #213

At -2 I need to meet or beat 13.

[roll0]
    Spoiler: Jacob
    Show
    After fourty minutes of walking spirewards you reaches the orchard again. More twenty minutes and you reaches the end of the orchard, and is on the grassy field again. The journey back through the woods was uneventful, and there was no sign of the old man you met earlier.

At first you don't recognize where you are, but as you survey your surroundings you recognize a tree you noticed when you searched for a place to camp, and then you easily make your way back to the camping site.

It is something near 21h30 right now, and the night is getting very dark.

And you lose 3 more FP.

EDIT: I hit the "submit" earlier... there are extra things on the post.
    Last edited by lenon3579; 2016-02-06 at 08:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lenon3579 View Post
    Spoiler: Jacob
    Show
    After fourty minutes of walking spirewards you reaches the orchard again. More twenty minutes and you reaches the end of the orchard, and is on the grassy field again. The journey back through the woods was uneventful, and there was no sign of the old man you met earlier.

At first you don't recognize where you are, but as you survey your surroundings you recognize a tree you noticed when you searched for a place to camp, and then you easily make your way back to the camping site.

It is something near 21h30 right now, and the night is getting very dark.

And you lose 3 more FP.

EDIT: I hit the "submit" earlier... there are extra things on the post.
    "Well, that was eventful. Anyway, I'm back." He glances down at the gun and magazine in Jacob's lap. "You learn quick."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-02-06 at 08:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevin chuckles, "You rather get mauled by the bear in his surprise? Could happen, you know, you wandering up in the dark like that."
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Kevin chuckles, "You rather get mauled by the bear in his surprise? Could happen, you know, you wandering up in the dark like that."
    "No, no. I'm glad you've learned how not to have an accident with that thing."

"All right, I think I've got us some food. I think we should start cooking it now, to keep it as fresh as possible when we dig in. Also because we wouldn't want that... guy I met earlier to think we don' need it."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevin stood, gun clattering to the floor, "What? What guy? Where? He tell you where we are?"

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevin stood, gun clattering to the floor, "What? What guy? Where? He tell you where we are?"
    "Why would I need to be told where you are?" In lieu of rolling, I'm just going to flat out say he's not being very convincing.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Samantha gets up and says "There's someone in this wood here besides the eight of us? And you met him?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevin glares at Jacob for a few moments, "Are... are you stupid or just really tired? You know what I meant, dammit. Too late at night and this whole situation is too weird for that ****."

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Verte View Post
    Samantha gets up and says "There's someone in this wood here besides the eight of us? And you met him?"
    "He wears a robe and knows how to appear out of nowhere, an' deer let him pet them. That's maybe less scary than the rest of this, I reckon. He said to show respect to the land an' only take the food we need from the animals and the trees. Let's cook this thing before he starts to wonder."

Edit: To Kevin: "Fine. I got lost. No, he didn' help me find you. I only got lost after I met 'im. He knew I wasn' alone, though. If he doesn' know where to find us I'd be shocked."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-02-06 at 09:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevin sighs and rubs his temples, "While that damages my faith in your abilities, I did mean like where we are in a grander scale. We, as in all of us including you. Or maybe, just maybe, why there isn't a sun or moon. Especially as it seems he is likely caretaker of these lands."

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevin sighs and rubs his temples, "While that damages my faith in your abilities, I did mean like where we are in a grander scale. We, as in all of us including you. Or maybe, just maybe, why there isn't a sun or moon. Especially as it seems he is likely caretaker of these lands."
    "... huh. Well, maybe it should have occurred to me to ask that, but I was spooked enough that all I wanted was permission to eat and permission to git out of there. Yeah, I know, but in my defense, he was kinda creepy."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Simon lays in his uncomfortable bed of leaves, listening to the others, until he hears Jacob return. "I should probably be more concerned about the crazy old man with the pet deer, but I'm just too hungry. Jacob, will you show me how to clean a kill? Shouldn't take long for me to pick it up." He then goes to his surgical kit and carefully selects a scalpel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Arcanists cast magic through miniaturized rituals - chants, gestures, sacrificial components and totems - which produce a codified result. Truenamers skip that part, and dictate to the universe what they want to happen in a language that it can understand. It's the difference between electroplating metals with chemistry and holding some gold and tin together while saying "now kiss".
    Simon Eckelbart in GURPS Planescape: Unknown Steps

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nexahs View Post
    Simon lays in his uncomfortable bed of leaves, listening to the others, until he hears Jacob return. "I should probably be more concerned about the crazy old man with the pet deer, but I'm just too hungry. Jacob, will you show me how to clean a kill? Shouldn't take long for me to pick it up." He then goes to his surgical kit and carefully selects a scalpel.
    "... Is that clean?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Ok, I guess we can add that to the big list of things to puzzle out. I'll get working on a fire for the deer... you think this guy will be ok with us staying here tonight and will leave us be?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ok, I guess we can add that to the big list of things to puzzle out. I'll get working on a fire for the deer... you think this guy will be ok with us staying here tonight and will leave us be?
    "To the best I can recall, he said somethin' like 'the trees and the animals are for everyone' and 'only take what you need.' As well as the very comforting 'we don't usually hunt the hunters.' I don't think he actually said there was more than one like him, but it's the impression I got. Anyway, as long as we don't eat to excess and don't take more than we're eatin', we should be good."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-02-06 at 11:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevin shrugs, "Whatever, ya'll have fun cutting up the deer, I'm going to turn in." He places the handgun and magazine into his luggage and begins pulling a few shirts out as well as the lining of the suitcase to create makeshift bedding after which he locks his bag again. He uses his laptop bag with another shirt on it as a pillow and uses his leather jacket as an impromptu blanket for his upper half as he lays down to sleep out the evening.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Simon looks mildly annoyed by Jacob's question. "Of course it's clean. I'm a professional. Oh, uh, I guess I never told you what I did. I'm, uh, a mortician." He shrugs awkwardly.
    Arcanists cast magic through miniaturized rituals - chants, gestures, sacrificial components and totems - which produce a codified result. Truenamers skip that part, and dictate to the universe what they want to happen in a language that it can understand. It's the difference between electroplating metals with chemistry and holding some gold and tin together while saying "now kiss".

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nexahs View Post
    Simon looks mildly annoyed by Jacob's question. "Of course it's clean. I'm a professional. Oh, uh, I guess I never told you what I did. I'm, uh, a mortician." He shrugs awkwardly.
    "... Okay."

What are the rules on assisting with skill checks again?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Adrian asists surprised at Jacob's explanation of what happened.

A banishing old man with a robe certainly puts my violet horse in perspective... He says that smiling a bit. And now we know it is ok for us to eat, or at least someone says so. Good job, Jacob

When they start working on the deer, he gets very pale. I think I'm turning vegetarian by the minute... I'll help you with the fire, he offers to Samantha. It's getting dark, and I think I'd prefer having some light.

Adrian will now help finding timber and such. Needless to say, fallen branches only.

22. - Top - End - #232

"... Okay."

What are the rules on assisting with skill checks again?
    Anyone helping make a skill check (luckily, cooking have default). Each successful roll adds a +1 bonus to your own roll. So you make your roll last.

23. - Top - End - #233

The insanity must have deepened Izzy sleep, or maybe it was the pain in her head. She awoke and climbed out of her sleeping bag still feeling a bit groggy. As she touched the grass she winced, not from pain but confusion. She saw the group all hovering over a campsite preparing a fire and some venison.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

I know by default Anatomy would be set to human and that's what I want, but there must be some sort of default off it for animals, and I'm curious if the Deer looks like a normal deer? (3d6)[12]

She walks over toward the group and watches with meticulous observation.
    Last edited by Gem_Knight; 2016-02-07 at 12:11 PM.
    UPDATE 11/8/2013- My little baby is here, I will post as I can.
    Update 9/13/2015- My second Baby Boy
    Update 1/25/2017- My Baby Girl is Born

"Schadenfreude is chocolate for the Soul. That's why ours are full of cavities." Davan, Something Positive

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Simon pays close attention as Jacob begins cleaning his kill, and tries his best to assist him.

Show
    Cooking defaults to IQ-5, so I need to beat an 8. (3d6)[11]

25. - Top - End - #235

Flumph

Show
    Adrian is just helping prepare a fire, so my guess is that no roll is needed there.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Does being relaxed an in our own camp count as a nonadventuring situation for the purposes of this skill check? I know we are strictly speaking on an adventure, but do we get the +4 for being in a situation where we can relax a bit and concentrate on cooking?

27. - Top - End - #237

Does being relaxed an in our own camp count as a nonadventuring situation for the purposes of this skill check? I know we are strictly speaking on an adventure, but do we get the +4 for being in a situation where we can relax a bit and concentrate on cooking?
    Well... would you be relaxed on a camp on a field without sun, moon or stars, having being abducted from your place, after seeing that old man and the way he talked with the deer, and all the hiking on the woods? And at night without proper light? Er... I think no.

The time to prepare the deer for cooking is one hour, minus ten minutes for each helper. But then the time for it to cook is 1h40, and for that only one person is needed, to watch to avoid overcooking.

So at 22h and a little most people will be sleeping. And Jacob will be awoken until almost midnight. At the cost of 2 FP. You can rest a little before start the cooking to regain some FP.

As the cooking's result will not affect the plot much, in the next hour I'll make a post for the dawn, to move things forward. As people that are helping with the cooking make their rolls (I guess only Samantha is left) I'll tell the results.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Samantha also collects wood, stones, and brush to build a fire, and she has a packet of matches she can use to start it. Once it is started, she will help the others cook the deer.

Show

Survival roll:(3d6)[16] - skill level 11
    I wasn't sure if I needed to roll to build the fire, but I figured I'd add it in anyway. It sorta makes sense given the skill's description.
    Cooking roll:(3d6)[12] - skill level 6, at default

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Survival roll:[roll0] - skill level 11
    I wasn't sure if I needed to roll to build the fire, but I figured I'd add it in anyway. It sorta makes sense given the skill's description.
    Cooking roll:[roll1] - skill level 6, at default
    ... Did something unfortunate just happen?

30. - Top - End - #240

... Did something unfortunate just happen?
    No, it would be a critical failure only if it was an 17 ir 18.

But you don't have any help for your roll. And you are at -1 from darkness penalty for your cooking (the fire lits, but then only the part of the deer that is turned on to the fire).