New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default A Power Attacking, Cleaving...spell??

So, I just noticed this. According to Complete Arcane, any spell that requires an attack roll can and does count as a weapon for purposes of feats and special abilities. Power Attack and Cleave, therefore, seem to count, as long as the spell in question only has a melee range (such as Shocking Grasp). Is this correct? Could a Wizard Power Attack with a Shocking Grasp spell, then Cleave with it if it dropped the initial target?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Power Attacking, Cleaving...spell??

Quote Originally Posted by Aleolus View Post
    So, I just noticed this. According to Complete Arcane, any spell that requires an attack roll can and does count as a weapon for purposes of feats and special abilities. Power Attack and Cleave, therefore, seem to count, as long as the spell in question only has a melee range (such as Shocking Grasp). Is this correct? Could a Wizard Power Attack with a Shocking Grasp spell, then Cleave with it if it dropped the initial target?
    I dont think so, i believe "touch" attacks count as Light Weapons and therefore you couldn't Power Attack with it, Cleaving on the other hand is a whole other bag of cats...
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I don't see a problem with this. It still is within the same action (aka the same spell) and doesn't conflict with the RAW as far as I know. RP wise, it's like if the caster used the spell, than redirected it swiftly to another person within range during the time the electricity still runs through the hands of the caster.

EDIT: Same answer as the previous user for Power Attack, bare hands are considered melee light weapons for the purposes of Power Attack.
    Last edited by RhymarJared; 2016-01-30 at 12:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Which would put it as no different than an unarmed strike, and power attack specifies that you can use it with unarmed strikes

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aleolus View Post
    Which would put it as no different than an unarmed strike, and power attack specifies that you can use it with unarmed strikes
    Not quite, its a Melee Touch Attack and im pretty sure that they are all considered Light Weapons, though im not 100% on that.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

No, it does not work as you want it to. The touch attacks don't do damage themselves, so you cannot get extra damage from power attack (you can take the attack penalty, but who would?). The spells do not do melee damage so you cannot add the extra damage there either.

Cleave gives you an extra attack but the spell has already been cast so it does not apply again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    No, it does not work as you want it to. The touch attacks don't do damage themselves, so you cannot get extra damage from power attack (you can take the attack penalty, but who would?). The spells do not do melee damage so you cannot add the extra damage there either.

Cleave gives you an extra attack but the spell has already been cast so it does not apply again.
    Though it would allow you to use another instance of spells like Chill Touch, correct?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup. 10 characters

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some melee touch spells have a number of targets you can touch with them, usually based on caster level. These spells would certainly work with Cleave and the like, just burning through the number of targets faster than normal (Note: many of these spells have an instantaneous duration, but you "hold the charge" until the end of your next turn, or run out of targets based on the spell, or even touch anything aside from a valid target). Power Attack doesn't work with touch attacks of any kind, if I remember the wording correctly, but many other weapon-based feats do work with touch spells.
    Elxir Breauer, at your service...