New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default What else is Wanda hiding?

major theory here. Wanda has made efforts to hide every single thing about her self she possibly can over the course of the comic.

even more important, she mind wiped (or what ever) that guard in comic 39.
    is that Cloakmancy? I don't think so

remember, Wanda CAN do lots of other magic but she SAYS she has no intrest in anything else. Could she be lying, hiding her true skills in other areas for some other end? She could just brain wash anyone who found out.

Whats her angle? why does she serve Stanley? Her clan was destroy (more lies possibly?), so how did she end up with him? And why does she continue to put up with him?

How does Lord Hampster figure in her plans?

does she want the Arkentools for her self, and see Stanley as a pawn to bring them to her?

I think theres a LOT more to Wanda than has been let on

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What else is Wanda hiding?

It's almost impossible to imagine there NOT being more to Wanda, really.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

That was actually magic powder that she hit the hobgobwin with. So, she doesn't always have it on hand.

In the end, I think Wanda is someone who survived her people getting wiped out and that close experience with death has driven her to look out for number one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eipiplus1 View Post
    I think theres a LOT more to Wanda than has been let on
    Ya think?

Seriously, though, there are a few possible hints:

1. Wanda's reaction to Stanley using the Arkenhammer to crack walnuts (as close to chiding as she thinks she can get away with?) suggests that she genuinely venerates the sanctity of the Arkentools. As a result, she might follow Stanley because the Arkenhammer attuned to him, indicating that he is favored by the Titans for their own inscrutable reasons. (I recall reading this idea on the forum; I think it may have been Scientivore's comment.)

2. Wanda knows that Jillian is royal, a fact that she keeps secret and thus is probably unknown to anybody but the two of them. (Presumably, it came out during interrogation.) Perhaps she is grooming Jillian as a more pliable and competent figurehead ruler, or perhaps she wants to protect her because she shares Ansom's belief in the sanctity of noble birth.

(Yes, I realize that 1 and 2 don't mesh together very well. With this sort of unclear hints about a secretive character, you have to make what you can of things.)

3. That brings us to the issue of Wanda's relationship with Jillian -- pragmatic exploitation using occasional shows of comfort as the "good cop" portion of a psychological game, or a real personal tie with genuine concern, affection, or even love? A complication is that the former might evolve into the latter, without either of them consciously realizing it, through long habituation. (I'm a bit more certain that Scientivore made that point earlier.)

4. She seems to be the most open and straightforward with Jillian and Parson -- perhaps because she's confident in her domination of Jillian, and sees Parson as someone with no preexisting ties or loyalties that could interfere with cultivating him as an ally. (The latter might well have been part of what she was thinking when she originally suggested the warlord summoning.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-06-15 at 02:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

From what we've seen of Wanda, I think she has an agenda: -

Of course the agenda could just be survival and as part of the remnant forces of whoever preceded Stanley as overlord that she is bound to Stanley's cause (the current overlord) by default regardless

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    4. She seems to be the most open and straightforward with Jillian and Parson -- perhaps because she's confident in her domination of Jillian, and sees Parson as someone with no preexisting ties or loyalties that could interfere with cultivating him as an ally. (The latter might well have been part of what she was thinking when she originally suggested the warlord summoning.)
    Perhaps she also sees Parson as an intellectual equal?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I strongly suspect that Wanda has more than the stated reasons for wanting Parson. Remeber, she picked him, from thousands of other minds throughout the multiverse.

As was said, she may want to ally with him because he comes to the table with no past alliances or motives. Hes completely clean.

I can totally see a Wanda/Parson partnership to take over the world

they could pull it off too

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

don't think so unless one of them can tune with the arkenhammer or arkenplier o an arkentool.
    I beleive that wanda has to do all she can to make stanley succeed, in part because she has to obey him (as susggested in the firsts comics, stanley saying something like "are you disobeying a direct order?" wanda- "i do, i beleive it will be your doom") which i think that has to do with her late tribe. Also, that somehow stanleys plans fits her owns. But, i don't really see a direct betrayal from her... dunno why... guess she is too subtle for that.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Ya think?

Seriously, though, there are a few possible hints:

1. As a result, she might follow Stanley because the Arkenhammer attuned to him, indicating that he is favored by the Titans for their own inscrutable reasons.
    I don't think she has a choice. She's probably bound to follow Stanley the same way Parson is. But I think she likes what Stanley stands for.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by gatitcz View Post
    I don't think she has a choice. She's probably bound to follow Stanley the same way Parson is. But I think she likes what Stanley stands for.
    It seems likely that she wants their side to win, over and above being stuck with serving Stanley for whatever reason -- otherwise, she could have just gone along with promoting the next handsome and dashing warlord and focusing on her personal exit strategy for the inevitable defeat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Probably Croakamancy is frowned upon most everywhere else and she'd have little chance to peform the art, whereas "uncroak it" seems to be a default order within a debriefing with Stanley.
    -2 Cursed Keyboard of Typos.

Official Commentary by

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Also, Stanley encourages her to pursue her hobbies. That's something going in his favour. I doubt Ansom would do the same. At least not if he isn't invited to watch at least =P

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moik View Post
    Probably Croakamancy is frowned upon most everywhere else and she'd have little chance to peform the art, whereas "uncroak it" seems to be a default order within a debriefing with Stanley.
    They don't call it Naughtymancy for boops and giggles after all.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    They don't call it Naughtymancy for boops and giggles after all.
    I figure that's pretty much it -- "Naughtymancy" is what in a more "serious" system of nomenclature would be called "Dark Arts", "Black Magic", or some such. It's probably frowned upon, if not outright prohibited, in most other places.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

That was actually magic powder that she hit the hobgobwin with. So, she doesn't always have it on hand.

I don't think it was powder per se.
    When we see Sizemore making the Crap Golems, we seel the same glittery/gold effect. So, is the gold dust effect, just a byproduct of any magic being cast? Or is it some type of magical component commonly needed in spells? Too many variables and no way to prove it one way or another.
    As far as the question at hand goes. I think Wanda believes Stanley is her best bet at power. He has the Hammer, and with it the Dwagons. It also seems as if she has invested a lot into Stanley's Cause. With something like that you reach a tipping point where you cannot back out and you have to ride the horse to the finish.
    Wanda knows that if used properly, Stanleys forces have a good chance as sucess, and with Parson in the picture it is looking more and more likely that GK has a decent chance of comming out on top.
    Wanda is a master manipulator, and who says she isn't manipulating Parson along with Stanley? She can get those two to do what they do best, and sit back and cash in on the rewards.
    This is just my thought on the thing, I am sure there is a whole long and complicated back story to all the major characters. We will just have to sit back and wait for it to trickle in a bit at a time.
    ...still keeping my jack boot on the neck of the little man...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    ...Your life isn't going to get any worse...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Bogroll has been manipulating Wanda using mind powers the entire time, the twoll is the real power in GK

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

wink Re: What else is Wanda hiding?

*slaps forehead*

Of course! Bogroll is the real Kaiser Soeze! The one eye, gianormous belly, the mental retardation. All a ploy to sucker us in.
    ...still keeping my jack boot on the neck of the little man...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    ...Your life isn't going to get any worse...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Burrito View Post
    *slaps forehead*

Of course! Bogroll is the real Kaiser Soeze! The one eye, gianormous belly, the mental retardation. All a ploy to sucker us in.
    Yeah, Thats what I, OH SHI-
    *gets killed by Bogroll, has his house burned down, same with the houses of everybody he knows*

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burrito View Post
    I don't think it was powder per se.
    When we see Sizemore making the Crap Golems, we seel the same glittery/gold effect. So, is the gold dust effect, just a byproduct of any magic being cast? Or is it some type of magical component commonly needed in spells?
    Panel 10 on page 39 shows Wanda pouring the same glittery gold stuff used on Mung two panels later into her hand from a small sack, so at least in that case it appears to be powder and not merely an effect of spellcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    Yeah, Thats what I, OH SHI-
    *gets killed by Bogroll, has his house burned down, same with the houses of everybody he knows*
    R.I.P. Bloddyredcommie. You died as you lived: "bloddy" and red. Don't kill me Bogroll, I didn't see anything!