1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default OOTS RSS Feed is bugging out

So, for the past really long while, the Order of the Stick RSS feed has been acting funky. Every now and then I get an rss "update" of several dozen comics at once, slowly making their way through the entire 1,000+ comic archive. I put up with this because it still notifies me when a new comic comes out. I figured it was just the RSS feed reupdating every comic page to meet some new standard, but it keeps starting over again from comic 1!

For people who rely on subscribing to RSS feeds through a notifier program to let them know when webcomics update, this is pretty darn annoying!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS RSS Feed is bugging out

Quote Originally Posted by Varkarrus View Post
    So, for the past really long while, the Order of the Stick RSS feed has been acting funky. Every now and then I get an rss "update" of several dozen comics at once, slowly making their way through the entire 1,000+ comic archive. I put up with this because it still notifies me when a new comic comes out. I figured it was just the RSS feed reupdating every comic page to meet some new standard, but it keeps starting over again from comic 1!

For people who rely on subscribing to RSS feeds through a notifier program to let them know when webcomics update, this is pretty darn annoying!
    WHat RSS address are you using? Is it http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.rss ? IIRC, there is a very old one whose support has been discontinued, and you might inadvertently have subscribed to it. FWIW, I use the RSS to watch for new comics and have not observed the bug you mention.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2016-02-01 at 02:37 PM.
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    Scientia est similis fluminis te capere non possunt in perpetuum
    (Knowledge, like a river, cannot be constrained forever)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yeah, that's the one I'm using.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Varkarrus View Post

I believe this is a long-standing and known issue:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    ...The website currently puts all entries into the rss feed, not just the latest few items. This causes issues with several readers and may be the reason you're experiencing this. This is not something we can change without changing the website, which we intend to do... eventually. So this will not happen for a while....We apologise for the inconvenience.
    The last official statement on this was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Thank you for your feedback.

The RSS feed is not currently a priority and likely won't be modified on the current site. If we design a new site, the RSS feed would be redesigned then.

Closing this thread now as is standard practice.
    I certainly have nothing to add, but if Rawhide does, he can post through the lock. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
    Fedoruman Roland by Chris the Pontifex

Forum Rules