New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Binding 'Mancers

Ok, we know three eyemancers (lookamancer, thinkamancer, and foolamancer) can be bound to power a nice gaming table. A mathamancer and a luckamancer can combine, in some other way, for another power.

What 'mancers would you combine? Would you combine a dirtamancer with a hat magicmancer, and have crap golumns jumping out of hats? How about linking a croakamancer with a rhyme-o-mancer and have a Michael Jackson Video break out?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Binding 'Mancers

Quote Originally Posted by fehler View Post
    Ok, we know three eyemancers (lookamancer, thinkamancer, and foolamancer) can be bound to power a nice gaming table. A mathamancer and a luckamancer can combine, in some other way, for another power.

What 'mancers would you combine? Would you combine a dirtamancer with a hat magicmancer, and have crap golumns jumping out of hats? How about linking a croakamancer with a rhyme-o-mancer and have a Michael Jackson Video break out?
    Given Sizemore's description ("...subsumed into a... kind of a psychological alloy with the Thinkamancer"), I suspect that a Thinkamancer has to be one of the casters in the link even if Thinkamancy isn't actually used for any purpose other than forming and maintaining it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Thinkamancer + Lookamancer + Foolamancer = Spysat; what Stanley is currently using right now.

Thinkamancer + Lookamancer + Foolamancer + Findamancer = Google Erf; like the Spysat except with search.

Thinkamancer + Mathomancer + Luckmancer = Probability control; figure out what things are important, tilt the odds in your favor and subject enemies to Murphy's Law.

Thinkamancer + Mathomancer + Luckmancer + Predictomancer = Gladstone Gander; like Probability Control except you can choose specific outcomes and always get the best possible result in any situation.

Thinkamancer + Croakamancer + Healomancer = Raise Dead; Resurrect the croaked, for real rather than as uncroaked.

Thinkamancer + Croakamancer + Healomancer + Dirtamancer = True Resurrection; like Raise Dead but it doesn't need a body.

Thinkamancer + Dirtamancer + Changemancer + Dittomancer = Replicator; make copies of anything out of simple dirt like it was primal clay.

Thinkamancer + Turnamancer + Weirdomancer + Carnymancer = Paling; raise an invincible shield over your stage (capitol) so the audience (enemy) can't attack, like in FFXII.
    Last edited by Fuzzypaws; 2007-06-15 at 05:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some interesting thoughts, but you can not have 4 in a link, so half your suggestions can not happen unfortunately.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thinkamancer + Luckamancer + Weirdomancer: Things start getting really bizarre, but mysteriously in your favor.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

6. - Top - End - #6

Parson says in klog #2 that he's looking for some loophole in the magic system that will allow him to win. If he could find some way to link together more than three casters, that could be the magical breakthrough he's looking for. It occurs to me he may have inadvertedly strengthened the eyemancer gestalt during his talk with Misty. The link might have broken down when he talked to her, if her interaction with Parson had made Misty want to become a independant mind, rather than to remain part of a group mind. But instead, Misty reacted to her talk with Parson by developing a desire to help Parson, which may give her a greater incentive to remain part of the gestalt, (since she needs to be part of the gestalt if she's going to help Parson). Since the gestalt probably knows everything in the minds of each of it's three component casters, the whole gestalt probably now has a greater understanding and appreciation of Parson now.
    If each menber of a gestalt mind has to be absolutely committed to being part of a gestalt to make it work, then it may be relevant to note that, in their different ways, Misty, Wanda, and Sizemore are all are displaying a increasing loyalty towards Parson. Could this growing loyalty in Stanley's casters towards Parson possibly help to make a five person gestalt feasible? If Parson could somehow join Wanda and Sizemore to the existing eyemancer triad gestalt, even for a short time, what spells would that five person mass mind be capable of casting?
    Last edited by Doshi; 2007-06-16 at 02:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Doshi View Post
    If each menber of a gestalt mind has to be absolutely committed to being part of a gestalt to make it work, then it may be relevant to note that, in their different ways, Misty, Wanda, and Sizemore are all are displaying a increasing loyalty towards Parson. Could this growing loyalty in Stanley's casters towards Parson possibly help to make a five person gestalt feasible? If Parson could somehow join Wanda and Sizemore to the existing eyemancer triad gestalt, even for a short time, what spells would that five person mass mind be capable of casting?
    Interesting thoughts.

I've been thinking it over today, and Parson mentions in one of his klogs that the people of Erfworld don't seem to know much about their own world... technically they're all NPCs with no true knowledge of the workings of their own world.

Just because they say something's impossible doesn't necessarily mean anything... just AS FAR AS THEY KNOW, it's impossible to join more than three casters.

However, I don't think that'll be the direction the story goes in from here. I think it's a lot more likely that Parson will pull off more and more of what would be considered "meta-game" tactics, trusting that Ansom's band continues to think as they have been all along... people bound to play by the world's rules.

Vinnie seems to have caught on, but I think it's more likely that Ansom will be distracted by dealing with the Zamussels than pay attention to any advice he's given.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I think the Math + Luck thing is not necessarily a linkage and doesn't therefore require a Thinkomancer. It would be pretty rare to run a side on Math if you also needed two other 'mancer types to make it useful. I'd guess that the usual thing is to have the 'mancers talk to each other when it's relatively simple, discrete information that they're conveying. The reason for a linkage is so that the Lookomancer can communicate the full detail of the situation to the Foolamancer, who can present it on the board. Also, Sizemore does say "pair", suggesting that there isn't a third participant in the Math + Luck thing, ruling out a linkage.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

The interesting this is that he said "Four can't even be done" not "more than three can't even be done. Implying that no one has tried more than that. If you look in the 7th panel of page 54, you see that the setup is that there is one Thinkamancer with a chain on each hand, leading to manacles on the hands of the two linked wizard:

Thinkamancer
    / \
    Caster#1 Caster #2

Thus in order to get a bigger setup, you might have to "link" two triangles,using a total of 7 casters.
    i.e.

Thinkamancer #1
    / \
    Thinkamancer #2 Thinkamancer #3
    / \ / \
    #1 #2 #3 #4

Thinkers 2 & 3 meld the minds of those below them. Thinker 1 melds those two groupminds.

I think it'd work.....
    Last edited by ChuckALF; 2007-06-17 at 02:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckALF View Post
    The interesting this is that he said "Four can't even be done" not "more than three can't even be done. Implying that no one has tried more than that. If you look in the 7th panel of page 54, you see that the setup is that there is one Thinkamancer with a chain on each hand, leading to manacles on the hands of the two linked wizard:

Thinkamancer
    / \
    Caster#1 Caster #2

Thus in order to get a bigger setup, you might have to "link" two triangles,using a total of 7 casters.
    i.e.

Thinkamancer #1
    / \
    / \ / \
    #1 #2 #3 #4

Thinkers 2 & 3 meld the minds of those below them. Thinker 1 melds those two groupminds.

I think it'd work.....
    That's a great idea =)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I don't think they have 3 thinkamancers to pull something like that off. But For me on combos...

Any caster + dittomancer: double the magical mayhem!

Changemancer + Thinkmancer (linked): Mind control enemies by the hundreds!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckALF View Post

Thinkamancer
    / \
    Caster#1 Caster #2

i.e.

Thinkamancer #1
    / \
    / \ / \
    #1 #2 #3 #4

I think it'd work.....
    well, the linked thinkamancer cannot link more caster, as they lose the control of themself due to mind-sortof-connection. i think it wouldn't work (and even so, you need 7 caster)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystyco View Post
    well, the linked thinkamancer cannot link more caster, as they lose the control of themself due to mind-sortof-connection. i think it wouldn't work (and even so, you need 7 caster)
    Assuming that it works as described, the linked thinkamancer is one mind, which is capable of pulling off spells that even three thinkamancers working together couldn't do.

You'd probably need another triangle of thinkamancers in place of thinkamancer 1, though.
    Last edited by TheTurnipKing; 2007-06-19 at 05:25 AM.