Troll in the Playground

Default EMPIRE2!-CWBG-III-Fabricated-Claim-to-Fame

EMPIRE!
    Gods, Kings & Adventurers
    A Community World-Building Game Created by Morph Bark

IC thread: Action!
    Dice-Rolling thread: Dice!
    Event Suggestion Thread: Suggest!

Welcome to EMPIRE! A game of gods, kings and adventurers. In this game, you will play a character, a ruler of a region. And once s/he dies, you will play their heir and so on, continuing on the family legacy. You scheme, discover and conquer your way towards becoming the most-remembered person in history. Respected, loved, feared.

This world will start as a simple one similar to the times of the Middle Ages, but through the actions of players and random events the scope of the world will expand, science marches on and magic may even be introduced. Magic is rare, though monsters may be abound in players’ regions, strange natural resources or the crafts of alchemy may be at their use and supernatural phenomena can take place.

Best beware if you want to ensure your legacy.

Be warned! This is primarily a game of world-building, but contains some strategic elements, secretive scheming, and both cooperation and vehement competition between players at times. It's all easy enough to understand once you've read through the rules, and GREAT fun to play in and talk with all your co-world-builders in this thread, but keep in mind that in the game itself, IC, it can be a very bumpy ride. Let us ask questions, help each other, communicate, cooperate, build and have fun OOC, even as we bash each other's brains in IC.

Also, if you have a question, and you can ask a player (about their region or people, for instance), ask them instead of the GM. If you can ask it in the thread, do that instead of via PM. The GM's PM inbox is regularly cleared and thus things can easily get lost, so try keep it to secret stuff and (IC) reactions to stuff you get in your own inbox.

The World & Joining the Game

The World
    Spoiler
    Show

The World as It Is Known, called Arandi in the trade tongue though known by many and sundry names is one which sits on the brink of greatness. It is the year 100 of the new age, one hundred years have passed since the last gasp of the final mighty empire and tribes, peoples, and kingdoms lost, new, and dormant now stand ready to rise up and claim their place in this world.

Across the world rumors buzz of magic, an art thought long lost may be returning to holy men and to those willing to pay the proper dues. Armies the likes of which have not been seen for centuries drill and train. Tinkerers and inventors celebrate an unbridled time of innovation and technology once more seems ready to lurch forward from stagnation and monarchs, councils, and statesmen begin their first forays into the stage of the wider world.

Arandi hosts three existing religious institutions that a nation may choose to ascribe to in the beginning of the game.

The House of the Pale Lady is the center of the followers of the Pale Lady whose domain of death, rebirth, challenge, and rewards to the virtuous appeals to some of the more hardened men and women of Arandi. Her followers often wear white and cover their faces during religious rituals. Religious rites are seen as the duty of women more than men though both serve in the clergy. The physical House of the Pale Lady sits on the border of Regions 266, 268, and 269. The House of the Pale Lady sees the Doctrine of the Nine Candles as an inoffensive spiritual option in limited exposure and the Grand Church of Daen as a threatening and dangerous power willing to declare holy war for political gain.

The House of the Pale Lady has taken a more active political role in the northeastern continent and has worked with multiple kingdoms to encourage and promote a welfare of all Pale Lady adherent kingdoms.

The Doctrine of the Nine Candles is a spiritual philosophy that espouses the importance of nine virtues: Kindness, Mindfulness, Determination, Purity, Charity, Insight, Fulfillment, Honor, and a ninth, personal virtue said to be known individually to each follower of the Doctrine. Light, especially candles, play an important spiritual role for followers of the Doctrine. The Doctrine has no physical center, practitioners of its teachings often individualistic wanderers who teach their philosophy to those willing to listen be they king or commoner. Within the Doctrine it is considered taboo to share your ninth virtue with an outsider and even among followers of the Doctrine, to share it is a sign of great trust. Followers of the Doctrine generally see the House of the Pale Lady and the Grand Church of Daen as potential alternate paths to enlightenment.

The Doctrine has recently undergone a civil war within its ranks between those wishing to embrace war and those wishing to embrace peace. Ultimately the peaceful followers of the Ninth Peace won the support of the majority of followers and constructed a temple to begin administering from as a centralized religion though the militant Ninth Struggle continues on as a splinter faction within the Doctrine.

The Grand Church of Daen is an organized hierarchical clergy that claims a documented history of over 500 years and involvement with some of the great empires of bygone eras. Headed by the Elder Abbot the Grand Church preaches the gospel of Daen which teaches of an all-father Lord of the Skies who watches over all of creation and is tended to and conflicted by the other lesser gods and demons. The Grand Church of Daen sees the House of the Pale Lady as a form of aggressive paganism and the Doctrine of the Nine Candles as subversive anti-authoritarians. The central of the Grand Church of Daen lies on the border between Regions 18, 100, and 134.

Recently the Grand Church has been swayed by a splinter religious faction adhering to an interpretation of Daen as a matronly goddess rather than a patriarchal father god. This has lent the Church to falling under heavier Avonlean influence .

Though these clergies exist in a recognized and organized form dating to prior the fall of the last empires there are many who have lost their teachings, rejected them, or never found them in the first place and among the rising nations of Arandi so too do alternative theologies begin to gather more support...

Joining the Game
    Spoiler
    Show

First of all, read this thread

Got it? Good. You may now pick the region you would like from the atlas below (first come first serve) and post your nation submission in this thread for review and approval. You are only approved if QuintonBeck says you're approved. Once you're approved you can post your nation in this thread and prepare to join the IC game when it starts.

Atlas
    [SPOILER]Below is the most current map of the known world.

Here is a list of regions that has been claimed and by whom. It is slightly outdated, so if you aim to take over a certain region, it is always good to double-check in the main thread (this one) whether it is taken or not.

There are more regions visible than are expected to be filled. Start adjacent to another player at your own risk (or benefit)

Spoiler: Map
    Show

The Rules of the Game & Data Collection

Game Masters
    Legacy Master: Morph Bark

GM Team

Head GM: QuintonBeck

GM's Second and Trade Master: Aedilred

Technology Czar: BladeofObliviom

Podcast Master: PepperP

Friendly Neighborhood Stat Aeldir: Gengy

Faith Table Master: QuintonBeck (Accepting Applications)

Military Table Master: QuintonBeck

Extra Player Resources (For the Players, By the Players)
    Heraldry Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Banner Generator
    Flag Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Tree Builder (thanks, zabbarot!)
    EMPIRE! Podcast (thanks, PepperP!)
    Military History of Arandi (thanks HalfTangible!)
    Bestiary of Arandi (thanks Aedilred!)

Should there be anything incorrect or not updated yet about any of the above tables it’s always possible that the GM or co-GM in charge of that has missed it. If so, please feel free to inform us with the proper, most updated information.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2016-02-03 at 09:18 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: EMPIRE2!-CWBG-III-Fabricated-Claim-to-Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Catrus View Post
    Throw garbage at them, until they treat you better. Just like in real life! :D
    I made a post where my people started being loudly drunk, that's about as much garbage as I feel motivated to throw.

First!!!
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2016-02-04 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey, all. Sorry I haven't been active this turn, I've been super busy with school. I'm going to go take a look around at the IC thread and catch myself up, but I probably won't have my actions up until tomorrow.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    That sounds like something a robot would say...

I made a post where my people started being loudly drunk, that's about as much garbage as I feel motivated to throw.

First!!!
    That's fine, but you should understand that that kind of "garbage" isn't the kind that will get you interaction. For the rest of us, that post was an entirely passive experience demanding no response unless Mary wanted to send some guards over to make sure things didn't get out of hand. Now, if you were fishing for interaction with getting your people drunk you could have one of them stumble into another delegation, or start a fight, or drunkenly hit on a foreign ruler. There are many possibilities, but you have to actually engage with other people to unlock them

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Now, if you were fishing for interaction with getting your people drunk you could have one of them stumble into another delegation, or start a fight, or drunkenly hit on a foreign ruler.
    Hmmm... It's almost as if that's what I was setting things up for...
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2016-02-04 at 05:55 PM.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey! I'm glad we're talking about role play, because that's the February topic of our very own fabulous Podcast! As always, if any of you have suggestions for our "How do you pronounce that segment", please let us know! We are also thinking about starting a new "Character Spotlight" segment, so if you have any suggestions for our very first character spotlight, or would like to be featured yourself, feel free to let us know!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm... It's almost as if that's what I was setting things up for...
    Boot, my suggestion here is that you review this event and the example events we provided, and see which players are active and which delegations your nation is more likely to get along with. And then if you want to have a 'happenstance' meeting like a drunken bump into people, you have a couple options.

• The first - and possibly best option - is to send PMs to the person or persons that you are interested in RP-ing with.
    • The second option is, after setting up something like you did, say something here in the OOC like: "I'm looking to have my guy bump into someone; anyone interested? Punching may or may not be involved."

The third option isn't really an option; it's a result. By not communicating that you're hoping to have an 'accidental' meeting, you'll most likely end up being ignored - with no malice or intended reason - as other players move on with less subtle hints. We aren't all mind readers here. (Except for Quinton, he's pretty good at saying exactly what happens in a couple in-game years, it's why we have him do the round openers.)

So in the future, to prevent this kind of feeling of being ignored or passed over, you may want to actively seek people out, rather than accidentally. And if you want it to be 'pure chance' that you bump into someone at these parties, it can be, but I'd suggest that it was pure chance from a character perspective, and a direct invitation in an OOC manner.

I don't want to say that we're all obtuse here in EMPIRE! - because that's not true, many of us are fairly clever and observant - but the direct approach, player to player, is often best And just so you know, Lady Spring is always willing to make new friends. If you'd like, though it might be short because of time, I'd be happy to have her encounter your delegation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    So in the future, to prevent this kind of feeling of being ignored or passed over, you may want to actively seek people out, rather than accidentally. And if you want it to be 'pure chance' that you bump into someone at these parties, it can be, but I'd suggest that it was pure chance from a character perspective, and a direct invitation in an OOC manner.
    You act like I was being subtle...

If you'd like, though it might be short because of time, I'd be happy to have her encounter your delegation.
    And then you activated my trap card. Yes, I'd love that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You act like I was being subtle...
    You kinda were, in the actual IC thread
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yeah, that qualifies as subtle by PbP standards, believe it or not. I've tried to enter scenes that I thought were deliberately trying to attract attention before only to find that the person in question was either doing their own thing and didn't want to be interrupted, or had already planned something with another PC that I was intruding on. It's a good rule of thumb that if you're looking for open interaction, state as much OOC somewhere.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

In the eyes of many players, without a direct OOC comment or discussion, you were being subtle. Had you said something like "and then he bumped into Lord Winter, entirely by accident." that would have been more direct. As it is, you were looking for a tussle - perfectly acceptable roleplay from a drunkard - but no 'target' was selected.

Neither myself, nor Dark - if I might speak for him for a moment, and I am sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong - are of the opinion that you've been doing anything wrong; it's just that this particular crowd needs a little bit more of a heads up, in regards to some aspects of RP. You're doing some great writing, and I'm happy to engage and interact with you, but please consider that we're trying to offer some constructive criticism here, and the tone you are returning to us is one of sarcasm and dislike; regardless of what your blue text and signature says, we're not used to you yet. We want to be. But from a personal viewpoint, I make sure to refrain from snark or sarcasm with new people and newer players, until I'm sure they understand that any insults that end up their way are completely unintended.

Unless they are Tychris. Because his mother is a hamster, and his father smells of elderberries.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Neither myself, nor Dark - if I might speak for him for a moment, and I am sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong - are of the opinion that you've been doing anything wrong; it's just that this particular crowd needs a little bit more of a heads up, in regards to some aspects of RP. You're doing some great writing, and I'm happy to engage and interact with you, but please consider that we're trying to offer some constructive criticism here, and the tone you are returning to us is one of sarcasm and dislike; regardless of what your blue text and signature says, we're not used to you yet. We want to be. But from a personal viewpoint, I make sure to refrain from snark or sarcasm with new people and newer players, until I'm sure they understand that any insults that end up their way are completely unintended.
    I put a disclaimer in my signature for a reason.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless they are Tychris. Because his mother is a hamster, and his father smells of elderberries.
    ***looks at Gengy's avatar**** cauldron, thy callest my scuttle ebony.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    I always thought Gengy's avy smelled more like dandelions

Also (more seriously) i thought it was a gerbil?

*looks up differences between the two*

... Huh. 'Biggest difference is the tail'. Neat.

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    The avatar, sir, is of a Gerbil. Very diferent beasts from a hamster, I assure you. I comport myself with dignity. Hamsters have been known to poop in the presence of polite company.

Boot, do you want to meet Lady Spring herself, or the Salvax? One would be more prone to fighting a drunkard. The other would likely end said drunkard's life.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I put a disclaimer in my signature for a reason.
    A signature doesn't exempt you from the need to make a good impression on people you just met.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The avatar, sir, is of a Gerbil. Very diferent beasts from a hamster, I assure you. I comport myself with dignity. Hamsters have been known to poop in the presence of polite company.

Boot, do you want to meet Lady Spring herself, or the Salvax? One would be more prone to fighting a drunkard. The other would likely end said drunkard's life.
    (the other is Lady Spring)

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

One of the Salvax is a cat, right? A brother-from-another-mother, if you will?

A signature doesn't exempt you from the need to make a good impression on people you just met.
    Making good impressions has almost never been one of my highest priorities. A function of mental disorder, I'm afraid. People have always assumed the worst of me.
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2016-02-04 at 02:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Bas Pride of the South Hunt is the equivalent of a Duke (one of four in Tir Xungla), and yes, he is in fact a White Tiger Salvax. There are two (discovered) 'breeds' if you will. White Tiger is the more common one, and the spotted Elephant version is the less common one. They are distinctly smaller than the actual animals, though only (actual) Elephants current exist in known Arandi regions.

If you would like, I'd be happy to see that, in your drunkan stupor, your character begins to waver, and his face comes close to meeting the ground, except for, well...

...Pride goeth before the fall.

Write something up in the Unification thread, and I'll respond to it later today.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2016-02-04 at 02:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Bas Pride of the South Hunt is the equivalent of a Duke (one of four in Tir Xungla), and yes, he is in fact a White Tiger Salvax. There are two (discovered) 'breeds' if you will. White Tiger is the more common one, and the spotted Elephant version is the less common one. They are distinctly smaller than the actual animals, though only (actual) Elephants current exist in known Arandi regions.

If you would like, I'd be happy to see that, in your drunkan stupor, your character begins to waver, and his face comes close to meeting the ground, except for, well...

Write something up in the Unification thread, and I'll respond to it later today.
    Quintas has some elephants. They make it near impossible to grow food.

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy
    Making good impressions has almost never been one of my highest priorities. A function of mental disorder, I'm afraid. People have always assumed the worst of me.
    As someone with aspergers, let me offer some advice: Be as subtle in your intent as a sledgehammer. Annoy people with how blatant and clear your intent is, if you must.

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

*ba dum tss*

My brain's filled with ideas at this point, but my motivation seems to be on vacation...

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    As someone with aspergers, let me offer some advice: Be as subtle in your intent as a sledgehammer. Annoy people with how blatant and clear your intent is, if you must.
    I'll keep that in mind. I don't like to pester people. Or know how to start conversations with people. Or have conversations with people. Or end them either, come to think of it...

I'm pretty good at interjecting in existing conversations, however.
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2016-02-04 at 04:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I will inform my father that you have taken notice to his new cologne.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the Prophetess Council seem like lovely people.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

*ba dum tss*

Though, I've spelled a lot of ink at this point... How does Bas Pride feel about morbid battle tunes? My brain's filled with ideas at this point, but my motivation seems to be on vacation...

I'll keep that in mind. I don't like to pester people. Or know how to start conversations with people. Or have conversations with people. Or end them either, come to think of it...
    *shrug* Me neither. I find it helps to explain your motivations a lot and often.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    They're lucky they aren't Primal

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Lovely? Seems I've missed the horrid mark I was shooting for by a rather large margin.
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Sue View Post
    Lovely? Seems I've missed the horrid mark I was shooting for by a rather large margin.
    Phew...

Okay, I was worried that you'd be against my future attempts to oust their faith from your lands. Thanks for showing your support!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    Phew...

Okay, I was worried that you'd be against my future attempts to oust their faith from your lands. Thanks for showing your support!
    She absolutely in no way supports that which you just said, I'm pretty sure.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2016-02-04 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    She absolutely in no way support that which you just said, I'm pretty sure.

You're doing that on purpose, aren't you?

EDIT: No, wait, you fixed it.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2016-02-04 at 06:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    She absolutely in no way supports that which you just said, I'm pretty sure.
    Pepper understands me. You Moos, not as much.
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Sue View Post
    Pepper understands me. You Moos, not as much.
    Do you at least support getting rid of the prophetess council?

Extended Sig